Noise Reduction

The thing that I don't like is that you are forced to create an uncompressed TIFF file to get maximum quality...... which, for me at least, means an 80+ meg file for every photo that goes through it! I know that disk space is cheap, but man, that hurts when the original RAW file is usually closer to 15-18 megs!

It can't handle processing pngs?

I don't think that it can process PNGs. The official tutorial mentions using 16-bit ProPhoto colorspace in an uncompressed TIFF. I do know that it choked when I tried to use compressed TIFF. I haven't done any research to see if a smaller colorspace is OK since the original photo isn't 16-bit. I also would love it if it supported PNG, I continue to think of TIFF as such an ancient format that should have been retired years ago.

Code - won't you need that TIFF any time you go to export the photo?

One other "clunky" note for those considering using this - it creates a copy of your photo so you now have two versions of your photo (one before and one after noise reduction.) So if you process 10 photos, you now have 20 of them in Lightroom's library.

VVFF said:
It can't handle processing pngs?

Nope, and Lightroom can't export PNGs anyway (lame x 2)

Code - won't you need that TIFF any time you go to export the photo?

One other "clunky" note for those considering using this - it creates a copy of your photo so you now have two versions of your photo (one before and one after noise reduction.) So if you process 10 photos, you now have 20 of them in Lightroom's library.

I store my processed photos as JPGs (95 quality) since they end up there for printing or uploading anyway, unless I took it to Photoshop and need the layers in tact for possible future changes, then I save the PSD too. The TIFF is just an in-between step for me, so I don't keep it.

What's your system? Do you keep RAWs only?

Hi everyone :wave2:

I'm going through my parade photos from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and am using a free version of Noiseware on them. I noticed, however, that all of the EXIF gets stripped from the image when I use it.

Does anyone know of a noise reduction program that allows you to retain the EXIF? If there is, I'm willing to pay for a program---but if all strip the EXIF I think I'll stick with the free Noiseware for now until I figure out how often I'll actually need it.

Thanks!
Ann

The paid version of Noiseware preserves EXIF. I use Noise Ninja and it does also.

The paid version of Noiseware preserves EXIF. I use Noise Ninja and it does also.

Yayyyy! Thanks, Code. Have you used both and if so, do you prefer one over the other?

I personally prefer NN, but both are good. I now do most of my noise reduction in RAW processing.

I haven't used Noiseware in a long time so I can't really compare. Noise Ninja has a clunky interface but I get really good results from it.

I personally prefer NN, but both are good. I now do most of my noise reduction in RAW processing.

What program do you use for RAW processing? Right now I just use Adobe Camera Raw with my PSE6, but have thought about getting Lightroom.

I tried to use the noise reduction feature of Adobe Camera Raw and didn't really notice any results---I did like that I didn't have to convert to JPG before using it though, where I do have to convert to JPG with the free noiseware.

I'll add that I use the standalone NN with Lightroom.. it exports 16-bit TIFFs to NN, which fairly recently added a batch processing mode. Once the TIFF has been processed by NN, I export a JPG and dump the TIFF. The interface for batch processing is mind-numbingly stupid, but once you know how it works, it's easy.

With Noise Ninja as a Photoshop plugin, can the noise reduction be performed on the RAW file or do you need to convert to JPG?

Load the RAW through Camera RAW into PS, then run the plugin. No pre-saving needed.

What program do you use for RAW processing? Right now I just use Adobe Camera Raw with my PSE6, but have thought about getting Lightroom.

I tried to use the noise reduction feature of Adobe Camera Raw and didn't really notice any results---I did like that I didn't have to convert to JPG before using it though, where I do have to convert to JPG with the free noiseware.

I use Bibble Pro. If I were buying fresh right now I might go with Lightroom, but I do really like Bibble. NN basic is built in to it and if you own the full license to NN, it can open up a full control tool.

Supposedly Lightroom 3 has improved noise reduction built-in... I haven't played with it (version 3) yet, but it might be worth checking out. I doubt it's comparable to a stand-alone one, but it's gotta be better than what's there now!

The exif loss is from using the standalone one - the plug-in versions of the various noise reduction problems don't actually save the image, so they won't alter your exif. I would imagine that the standalone versions have the option to retain exif too, maybe buring in the options somewhere, but I don't know for sure (I've only used the plug-ins.)

Like Code, I've used NN a few times as a Lightroom plug-in, but not very often because 1) I tend to avoid using much noise reduction (maybe to my detriment especially as I have zero done in-camera) and 2) it is rather a big pain in the butt, especially the whole leftover TIFF file. If LR3 could integrate comparable quality NR as a built-in feature, that would be fantastic.

What do you recommend? I only have Noiseware Community and it's a PITR to do each photo one at a time...Any suggestions?

Neat Image does this... There are various flavours of it with varying restrictions on the size of the batch queue, however. See the web site for details.

My process for noise reducing my ISO 1600 Canon 350D photos was:

* Lightroom for geometry and colour balance (output as TIF to avoid lossy compression)
* Batched NeatImage (outputting as TIF again) for noise reduction
* Batched PaintShopPro to downsize and sharpen

Worked pretty well, I thought:

4080962265_479de5aed9_o.jpg

3974918569_417a4c4ca2_o.jpg

Loads more at www.stagepics.co.uk. if you like theatre photos

regards,
/alan

Batch processing is usually something that the paid versions offer. I know that the paid Noise Ninja does on the standalone version. The plug-in obviously is capable of batch processing if the editing program is capable. I have backed off my noise reduction in recent years and only do it on shots that really need it and do it in the RAW processing. I use Bibble and it allows you to use full Noise Ninja in it as long as you own a license. I have also backed off a little on my sharpening because sometimes fine detail stuff looked overdone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter