• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Non-DVC resort cash stays are no longer eligible for Moonlight Magic

intamin

Ready to go.
Created this thread for visibility but apparently cash stays at non-DVC resorts are no longer eligible for pre-registration for Moonlight Magic. You must be staying on points from your membership in one way or another either through a DVC room or through the exchange system. Seeing it reported on Facebook as well as on here. I wonder if resale memberships owned by someone who is eligible for direct will be impacted by this since they're saying it's through the membership 🤔.

Last edited:
Created this thread for visibility but apparently cash stays are no longer eligible for pre-registration for Moonlight Magic. You must be staying on points from your membership in one way or another either through a DVC room or through the exchange system. Seeing it reported on Facebook as well as on here. I wonder if resale memberships owned by someone who is eligible for direct will be impacted by this since they're saying it's through the membership 🤔.
I think you can still stay on Cash, but it has to be a room booked through Member Services.

This is the specific wording on DVC's Moonlight Magic page (Click "Know Before you Register" on this webpage: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/moonlight-magic ):

Members with Resort Reservations

When staying using their Membership with Vacation Points, Reservation Points or cash, Members who booked a qualifying Resort reservation by the cutoff date will have access to early or general event registration and can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s).

If Members have multiple Resort Reservations, additional party size guidelines apply.

The wording has definitely changed, its kind of crappy for them to change this w/o making it clear to members about the change.

I think you can still stay on Cash, but it has to be a room booked through Member Services.

This is the specific wording on DVC's Moonlight Magic page (Click "Know Before you Register" on this webpage: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/moonlight-magic ):

The wording has definitely changed, its kind of crappy for them to change this w/o making it clear to members about the change.

Would that not just be booking through trading in points? If they make it such that the room has to be booked by member services I'm pretty certain 99% of people didn't do that and just booked the room on their own.

Would that not just be booking through trading in points? If they make it such that the room has to be booked by member services I'm pretty certain 99% of people didn't do that and just booked the room on their own.
You're allowed to pay cash to book certain rooms through Member Services. You don't need to use your points.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/resort-reservations/cash

But if the way this is being interpreted is correct, you're right and you couldn't book Pop Century for example through the Disney World website and still qualify for early registration.

IDK just seems very odd they’d bury such an integral change in terms :scratchin

“When staying using their Membership with Vacation Points, Reservation Points or cash, Members who booked a qualifying Resort reservation by the cutoff date will have access to early or general event registration and can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s).”

JMHO but, I interpret it as eligible members can attempt to book if staying on-site using any of the three following methods:

Vacation points, reservation points or cash

I’ve read multiple posts here & on FB pro & con. Guess we’ll find out soon enoughpopcorn::

Last thing DVC & Disney World needs is bad PR from not clearly stating any changes in past protocols earlier. Members shouldn’t have to interpret convoluted phrasing

IDK just seems very odd they’d bury such an integral change in terms :scratchin

“When staying using their Membership with Vacation Points, Reservation Points or cash, Members who booked a qualifying Resort reservation by the cutoff date will have access to early or general event registration and can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s).”

JMHO but, I interpret it as eligible members can attempt to book if staying on-site using any of the three following methods:

Vacation points, reservation points or cash

I’ve read multiple posts here & on FB pro & con. Guess we’ll find out soon enoughpopcorn::

Last thing DVC & Disney World needs is bad PR from not clearly stating any changes in past protocols earlier. Members shouldn’t have to interpret convoluted phrasing

I agree it isn't really clear, I definitely agree that anyone with a cash stay should just try it out tomorrow and see what happens - but if it doesn't work, we know why.

Multiple people have called Member Services and gotten the same exact answer stating that cash stays used to be allowed but in 2024 now only stays booked through Member Services (or stays using your points) are allowed.

The part that seems to be different now is "When staying using their membership". If you book a cash stay directly on Disney's website you aren't using your membership.

This reply on DVC Fan's FB Group page seems to be the most clear:

I spent a LOT of time on the phone this afternoon trying to get a straight answer from DVC Member Services. Finally, I reached a woman who knew what was going on and explained it to me (I wish DVC had put this on the website):
THEY CHANGED THEIR POLICY FOR 2024. From now on, cash stays at non-DVC Resorts do not get early registration for Moonlight Magic. Only DVC Resort stays booked for cash or points, OR non-DVC Resort stays booked FOR POINTS will qualify.
So those of us who booked a cash stay at a non-DVC Resort based on their old policy are out of luck and can't register tomorrow. Nice of them to let us know.

agree it isn't really clear, I definitely agree that anyone with a cash stay should just try it out tomorrow and see what happens - but if it doesn't work, we know why.
I wouldn’t want to be working call lines at MS tomorrow if they did make this change

We don’t need to try to register until 2/1. Have time to possibly pivot.

Well, theoretically, As if my WL for two extra nights at AKVJ value studio over a race weekend has a snowball’s chance of coming thru

Feel bad for those who just may be spinning their wheels tomorrow

It’s seems like this has happened before (wrong info about cash stays)? Maybe I’m wrong. Then there’s the one about using resale points. It all gets very confusing.

It’s seems like this has happened before (wrong info about cash stays)? Maybe I’m wrong. Then there’s the one about using resale points. It all gets very confusing.

Changing the rules (such as when they cut the valet perk overnight) has definitely happened before.

Not a PR nightmare - just a blip that would (again) quickly be forgotten.

Following.

I hope this is just an email glitch (I never got one for the DCA MM in late January, in spite of having a VDH room booked), and folks with cash bookings are able to join the queue.

It doesn't seem an unreasonable change.
There are already more people willing to get a ticket than availability. I don't think it's wrong to privilege people who are staying at a DVC resort over people who booked a different resort for cash. It makes a little easier for DVC members staying home to get a ticket.

What's wrong is that they haven't communicated it clearly.

There are already more people willing to get a ticket than availability. I don't think it's wrong to privilege people who are staying at a DVC resort over people who booked a different resort for cash. It makes a little easier for DVC members staying home to get a ticket.

The problem is that the registration guidelines do not require a stay in a DVC resort. They specifically mention other resorts, including All-star resorts, Pop, etc., as being valid reservations. They also specifically mention that rooms booked with cash are acceptable.

I agree, I support them making this change but just wish they had communicated the change better. The event is meant for people using the membership as intended, with points.

FYI, received the below message when trying to reserve for MM. We're staying on cash not booked through MS so I suppose I'm not surprised...

Unfortunately, our records do not indicate a Resort Reservation tied to your Membership ID during the Moonlight Magic event dates.​

Registration for the Disney Vacation Club® Moonlight Magic Event at EPCOT® will open Thursday, January 11, 2024, at 11:00 am EST for the event date of 1/25 for Members without a Disney Resort hotel reservation.​

If you think you have entered your Member number incorrectly and would like to try again, click the link below.​

For the record, "the link below" gives an "access denied" error.

I agree it isn't really clear, I definitely agree that anyone with a cash stay should just try it out tomorrow and see what happens - but if it doesn't work, we know why.

Multiple people have called Member Services and gotten the same exact answer stating that cash stays used to be allowed but in 2024 now only stays booked through Member Services (or stays using your points) are allowed.

The part that seems to be different now is "When staying using their membership". If you book a cash stay directly on Disney's website you aren't using your membership.

This reply on DVC Fan's FB Group page seems to be the most clear:
So it must be a DVC resort stay booked with points or cash or using your points on a non DVC resort qualify (getting ripped off). Got it.

Last edited:
The event is meant for people using the membership as intended, with points.
those who did add on a day thru CRO to a disney resort to an existing DVC res in the past (especially those who could find no room at their planned inn) technically were adhering to the rules that were set.

New game plan, don’t have to like it. However, it should’ve really been better communicated...especially, as to the vague verbiage on their website that was arguably subject to interpretation.
It's all fine, I just saved $4K and cancelled the cash reservations we had at Art of Animation. One less trip to Disney World for us.
sorry it didn’t work out for you. Do not think you will be alone in this reaction.

i just scrambled to book one night thru DVC 4/22. waitlisted for both the 22nd & 23rd at the existing resort I have. Since AKJValue studio, I’d venture chances slim to none

there are no studios open on 4/23. Will modify the CRO room to one night.

Since they changed the process already, I’m at the point where I’m now wondering if they will still allow those who checkout on the day of MM to be “eligible” to still attend. :rolleyes1

those who did add on a day thru CRO to a disney resort to an existing DVC res in the past (especially those who could find no room at their planned inn) technically were adhering to the rules that were set.

New game plan, don’t have to like it. However, it should’ve really been better communicated...especially, as to the vague verbiage on their website that was arguably subject to interpretation.

sorry it didn’t work out for you. Do not think you will be alone in this reaction.

i just scrambled to book one night thru DVC 4/22. waitlisted for both the 22nd & 23rd at the existing resort I have. Since AKJValue studio, I’d venture chances slim to none

there are no studios open on 4/23. Will modify the CRO room to one night.

Since they changed the process already, I’m at the point where I’m now wondering if they will still allow those who checkout on the day of MM to be “eligible” to still attend. :rolleyes1
Oh I know. I wasn’t trying insinuate that anyone had bypassed the rules. Just saying that there were a lot of people each time trying to get into Moonlight Magic who were actually staying on points who weren’t able to get in because many members would book Pop or another value resort and increase the number of people trying to get into the events far further than the event capacity.

Something to keep in mind is a couple of these pre registrations have been less than 31 days out from the event so people who didn’t get it couldn’t cancel their trip without their points going into holding and instead would just have to suck it up as opposed to cash reservations which could cancel without repercussions that far out. I just think it’s fair that Disney implemented these changes, the way they did it was god awful. I’m sure there were a lot of angry people this morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter