• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Non-DVC resort cash stays are no longer eligible for Moonlight Magic

Do you only get an email if you have an eligible reservation currently booked?

BTW, 20 min hold time for Member Services at this time.

Created this thread for visibility but apparently cash stays are no longer eligible for pre-registration for Moonlight Magic. You must be staying on points from your membership in one way or another either through a DVC room or through the exchange system. Seeing it reported on Facebook as well as on here. I wonder if resale memberships owned by someone who is eligible for direct will be impacted by this since they're saying it's through the membership 🤔.
I just wish there was some way of knowing how many people were allowed in total at these events so when I entered the virtual que at 11:05 (because some of us have normal jobs that we can't enter right at 11:00), and the number was over 11,000 that I would have just exited knowing that there was no chance of me securing a registration. And, when I did get into the website, even though it still said limited availability, there actually was no availability. I'm upset as I was so looking forward to this event had I gotten in. Never have had the chance to go. And what irks me even more is the fact that people can bring others that aren't necessarily staying on site. It's not really a perk for everyone if others can get in before those of us who are members and who are staying on site.

I just wish there was some way of knowing how many people were allowed in total at these events so when I entered the virtual que at 11:05 (because some of us have normal jobs that we can't enter right at 11:00), and the number was over 11,000 that I would have just exited knowing that there was no chance of me securing a registration. And, when I did get into the website, even though it still said limited availability, there actually was no availability. I'm upset as I was so looking forward to this event had I gotten in. Never have had the chance to go. And what irks me even more is the fact that people can bring others that aren't necessarily staying on site. It's not really a perk for everyone if others can get in before those of us who are members and who are staying on site.
Next time just leave a laptop or tab open with it running in the background. You can hop in the queue at 10AM and just let it sit there. Same with your phone and etc.

Good to know. We'll see if I ever get down there during one of these events again. It has never happened for me before and I've been an owner for quite some time now. Here's hoping anyway.

So it must be a DVC resort stay booked with points or cash or using your points on a non DVC resort qualify (getting ripped off). Got it.
No, you can make a cash reservation at a non-DVC resort, you just need to make that cash reservation through Member Services.

The queue number really doesn't correlate entirely with whether you'll get in or not (with the caveat that obviously #1 in line has a "greater' chance than #10,000).

Many members log in on multiple devices to increase their odds (like buying more lottery tickets). If a member has 6 devices open (6 queue spots), once they register, the other 5 queue spots just disappear (expire) and the queue number drops by 6 even though only one member made a reservation. Now that member might add 9 people to their reservation so that takes up actual attendance spots, but it's still only one member making a reservation even though they may have 6 (or more) spots in the queue. That's why you'll see the queue drop in big chunks at times. Plus, this time around they were queuing for two separate MM, so that distributed the numbers more.

Also, you can enter the waiting room anytime after midnight, and just leave the window on your device open. It will automatically place you in the queue. So, for east coasters, you actually have 11 hours to find time to log onto the website then let it do its thing. You don't need to be online at 11 am.

Next time just leave a laptop or tab open with it running in the background. You can hop in the queue at 10AM and just let it sit there. Same with your phone and etc.
Agreed - just had to be on the screen prior to 11:00. Heck, I had mine up around 9:30 and just let it sit there until the VQ took me randomly into the regular queue at 11. But the email clearly said that screen would automatically move you to the VQ at 11 when it refreshed. I can see there being a difference of 10s of thousands of people in front if you weren't on the screen before 11.

According to the text quoted in response #15 above, you will have another chance to reserve this event on Thursday. When I happened to be talking to my rep several weeks ago before the Animal Kingdom event in December, she explicitly told me to try at the "open to all members" date if I didn't get in on the "members using points" date. Good luck!

Well now I'm super confused...and wondering if I'll be cancelled.

I booked a cash reservation through My Disney Experience (not through DVC Member services) many months ago at Art of Animation for an upcoming weekend trip, knowing nothing about the Moonlight Magic event happening. We just happened to add Thursday 25-Jan to our weekend trip months ago.

Recently I was able to book SSR for one night 24-Jan, as we plan to take a late Wed flight instead of early Thursday morning.

I got the email about Membership Magic, logged in today, used my membership number and have a reservation for 25-January event.

Reading this thread, it sounds like that wasn't "legal" and could be cancelled? If so how does that work? Would I know before Thursday when I might be able to "legally" register?

We are going that weekend no matter what, this won't change our plans, but we were looking forward to attending our first Epcot MM event.

Recently I was able to book SSR for one night 24-Jan, as we plan to take a late Wed flight instead of early Thursday morning.

I got the email about Membership Magic, logged in today, used my membership number and have a reservation for 25-January event.

Reading this thread, it sounds like that wasn't "legal" and could be cancelled? If so how does that work? Would I know before Thursday when I might be able to "legally" register?
If you have a reservation using points with a check-out date of January 25 (or with dates of stay that include January 25), then you are eligible for Membership Magic on January 25. If you had not booked that night at SSR, per the new rules, you would not have been eligible.

No, you can make a cash reservation at a non-DVC resort, you just need to make that cash reservation through Member Services.
Can MS book non-DVC cash stays? I was under the impression they could only book cash at DVC resorts.

If you have a reservation using points with a check-out date of January 25 (or with dates of stay that include January 25), then you are eligible for Membership Magic on January 25. If you had not booked that night at SSR, per the new rules, you would not have been eligible.

Ok...but part two of that is that I JUST booked that SSR night LAST week...well beyond the cutoff date. However the other reservation (at AoA) was booked back in October! So maybe there was some weird rule applied...or maybe I'm still at risk. I guess I'll know....eventually?

Anyway we have APs so if it gets cancelled it's all good...we will still be going to the parks.

Ok...but part two of that is that I JUST booked that SSR night LAST week...well beyond the cutoff date. However the other reservation (at AoA) was booked back in October! So maybe there was some weird rule applied...or maybe I'm still at risk. I guess I'll know....eventually?

Anyway we have APs so if it gets cancelled it's all good...we will still be going to the parks.

I don't really think you're at risk. People with invalid reservations weren't even allowed to register. You were so you should be good to go, unless perhaps you cancel your resort stays. Regardless, report back here if anything changes.

Yes. I have never heard of booking cash stays for non-DVC resorts through MS as OP stated. That threw me off.
I honestly didn't even know you could book cash stays through member services without the use of points since I assumed if you were going to pay cash you might as well buy it through the website.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter