Non-exercise prep for 1st runDisney

eminemilie

Mouseketeer
I am looking for advice on how to prepare for a 1st in person runDisney weekend that doesn’t involve physical exercise.

I was thankfully able to sign up for the 5k and 10k in DL today. However, I am going to be having a pretty major surgery involving my abdomen area at some point in the next few weeks (I just LOVE health insurance delays), and am on exercise restriction until then. My recovery is going to be 4-6 weeks.

I know I will have time to train, but I‘m really bummed that I can’t do anything to prepare now. It got me thinking that maybe there are non-exercise/movement related things I can do to prepare and keep my mind busy during my recovery. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I could think of was costume planning (I will absolutely take any and all advice on where to find costumes).

What sort of exercise restriction? Are you allowed/able to walk? I would ask your doctor and do what you're allowed/able to do up to surgery and do a full recovery. Better to be completely healed with a slower race time than do something to mess with your recovery process. Good luck!

Costume planning is a great way to start prepping when you can’t do anything else. I prefer to piece my costumes together out of regular running clothes and regular clothes, rather than purchasing costumes, so I start by deciding on what character I’d like to run as, and then looking at Disneybounding examples to get an idea of how to embody that character with certain colors or patterns.

For example, for the Springtime Surprise 10K, I’m doing WALL-E:

Here’s a Disneybounding example:
E4F4D403-3576-4AAD-9DF2-DF481E4BCA36.jpeg

And here’s my costume (I painted the crop top myself):
EA5A6F38-70AC-4AB7-A3B9-AE498F9A2512.jpeg

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you are having, but I had a total hysterectomy (age 46 and in ok shape), but just taking care of yourself right after the surgery with heating pads, rest, good whole foods, and lots of positive thoughts will get you through right away. And then as you can, do walking. I bounced back pretty quickly from mine, but even I was surprised a couple of months later I'd move or lift something and get a twinge of a muscle pull. Really the best advice I can give is to go slow at first to go fast later. And relating my experience to maybe yours, having your surgery now is totally doable to getting back to it when you are fully recovered to do a race in Jan. 2024. Best of luck!!!!!

What sort of exercise restriction? Are you allowed/able to walk? I would ask your doctor and do what you're allowed/able to do up to surgery and do a full recovery. Better to be completely healed with a slower race time than do something to mess with your recovery process. Good luck!

Unfortunately it’s pretty much complete exercise restriction. I can do short, easy walks now for about 10 minutes at a time, but nothing more strenuous than that. After the surgery it will be at least a week or 2 of no movement other than walking around my house.
Costume planning is a great way to start prepping when you can’t do anything else. I prefer to piece my costumes together out of regular running clothes and regular clothes, rather than purchasing costumes, so I start by deciding on what character I’d like to run as, and then looking at Disneybounding examples to get an idea of how to embody that character with certain colors or patterns.

For example, for the Springtime Surprise 10K, I’m doing WALL-E:

Here’s a Disneybounding example:
View attachment 739718

And here’s my costume (I painted the crop top myself):
View attachment 739719
OMG I love this!! I will definitely look at disneybounding more. I never really thought of doing that and it looks really interesting, Although I am sort of excited to be able to run in a sparkly skirt LOL

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you are having, but I had a total hysterectomy (age 46 and in ok shape), but just taking care of yourself right after the surgery with heating pads, rest, good whole foods, and lots of positive thoughts will get you through right away. And then as you can, do walking. I bounced back pretty quickly from mine, but even I was surprised a couple of months later I'd move or lift something and get a twinge of a muscle pull. Really the best advice I can give is to go slow at first to go fast later. And relating my experience to maybe yours, having your surgery now is totally doable to getting back to it when you are fully recovered to do a race in Jan. 2024. Best of luck!!!!!
Thank you! I actually had a total hysterectomy in Jan of 2021, but now one of my ovaries has decided to be difficult and start causing a lot of problems, so it has to come out too. I actually had surgery to remove it LAST week, but my doctor got in there and realized it will need to be removed robotically, which can only be done at the hospital, so he had to close me up without doing anything. I’m feeling better than I thought I would, but there also wasn’t really anything done so I know the next round will not be this easy.

OMG I love this!! I will definitely look at disneybounding more. I never really thought of doing that and it looks really interesting, Although I am sort of excited to be able to run in a sparkly skirt LOL
Running in sparkly skirts is super fun for sure, I usually run at least one race in a weekend in some kind of skirt or dress. For Wine & Dine 2022, I did all 3 in a skirt or dress. I don’t have a lot of opportunities to dress up in normal life, so Disney races (and Disney in general) is my dress-up place.

For non-physical prep, I would suggest meditation and breath work. i use the Headspace app. Your work or public library might have free access to a meditation app/program.
Also if you have a gym membership I would suggest using the dry heat sauna followed by a cold shower. Or just do cold showers at home.
Best wishes!

Find a playlist and those salty jelly beans… and whatever carrying device you’ll need for your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter