Northern Lights this weekend? Auroras could be visible as far south as Alabama

A friend took this. Nubble lighthouse in York Maine.

View attachment 858508
My family lives in York, about a mile from the Nubble. My sister wasn't even aware the the Aurora were happening last night but will go sky watching tonight. We had 100% cloud cover here in the Bangor, ME area but it should be less cloudy tonight, so we might just go for a drive!

I know people as far south as Galveston, TX saw it and I saw some pics from a Florida friend. The timing guidance we were given also seems to have been off. I made numerous attempts to see in our area over a 5 hour window and got nothing but clouds (and a ton of mosquito bites). At one point, I swear I saw a hint of pink in a small cloud break, but I may have been imagining it.

I heard that we might have another chance tonight but we’re expecting even more clouds.

I know people as far south as Galveston, TX saw it and I saw some pics from a Florida friend. The timing guidance we were given also seems to have been off. I made numerous attempts to see in our area over a 5 hour window and got nothing but clouds (and a ton of mosquito bites). At one point, I swear I saw a hint of pink in a small cloud break, but I may have been imagining it.

I heard that we might have another chance tonight but we’re expecting even more clouds.

Go randomly take pictures of the sky. That was the best way for us to view it. Especially if you see lighter streaks.

It showed up much easier through the pictures taken.

I'm pissed. I went out both sides of our house looking and didn't see anything around 11:30 last night. Oh, saw lots of stars (very little light pollution where we live), but no kind of glow or anything. So went to bed, oh well.

This morning, on our neighborhood FB page were pictures our neighbor's saw of it. Apparently posted around midnight.

GRRR....

I'm pissed. I went out both sides of our house looking and didn't see anything around 11:30 last night. Oh, saw lots of stars (very little light pollution where we live), but no kind of glow or anything. So went to bed, oh well.

This morning, on our neighborhood FB page were pictures our neighbor's saw of it. Apparently posted around midnight.

GRRR....

You've got to randomly take pictures of the sky.

Another chance tonight.

Central Ohio around 10:45pm. This was taken with an iPhone in night mode. Colors were not nearly as visible with the naked eye. At first I thought they were clouds or vapor trails but could see hints of color if you looked closely

Attachments

• IMG_5158.jpeg
    IMG_5158.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3
I wonder why that is?

No idea. I’m glad out local weatherman had mentioned to try that. I would have just thought I couldn’t see them & went back inside. I also wonder if they come & go over a few hours. My sister is about 15 minutes away, she texted a picture at 10:30, so I went right out. That’s when we saw them & took pictures. I went back out about 11:15 & they were mostly gone, just sort of a general glow. I was shocked so many neighbors were outside when we went out the first time.

I also wonder if they come & go over a few hours. My sister is about 15 minutes away, she texted a picture at 10:30, so I went right out. That’s when we saw them & took pictures. I went back out about 11:15 & they were mostly gone, just sort of a general glow. I was shocked so many neighbors were outside when we went out the first time.

I think they must. We decided we needed to go somewhere to see them (too much light pollution and too many trees at the north side of our yard.) Our weatherman thought they'd peak around midnight, so we were planning to go out around midnight. One of my daughter's friends texted a photo around 10:30, so we went right away and got a really cool show.

We went to a local park, then my daughter decided she needed to use the bathroom (and the park bathrooms were locked) and my husband was cold. So we came home for the bathroom/warmer jacket... then headed back to the park at about 11:30. By the time we got back to the park, they were pretty much gone. I'm not sure if they came back later or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter