Norway ABD 2015

You mentioned Voss water earlier, I forgot to mention that Norway is proud of their water as well as their nature. Their tap is the best-tasting tap I've tasted! They say it's even better than bottled water.

Since we only had a few lunches in port they usually served bottled water - Olden water was served a few times. It was very good. I did dip my hands into the glacier water at Briksdal to drink - it was great.

BTW, that Aurlandsfjord viewpoint looks amazing! I remember seeing it in one of the ABD promo videos and was wondering where it was. Very cool!

Full day in Flam started off getting ready for our fjordsafari. The meeting point is right across the hotel so it was a relative late day start. We got suited up first with survival suits which we put over whatever we were wearing. That was ideal since once on the RIB (rubber inflated boats), it was cold! So with suits we had life jackets on, oversized gloves a hat and goggles, main purpose was to hold the hat in place. Our guide pointed out Viking burial grounds (they don't bury their dead, instead they lay rocks on top of the body), farms and villages along the fjords and facts on fjords and how they were made.We were on two boats and we got the one with a Swedish guide. The other guide was a local and he was personable in terms of his stories like when he proposed to his wife, I believe somewhere on the fjord. Anyway, it was a great way to marvel at the fjord's grandeur and beauty! It was truly awe-inspiring. Many thought this was their favorite activity, me included.

First we took the boat to a small village of Undredal. The Norwegians use the village they come from as their last name, like Torgeir's last name is Skjerdal (sher-dahl) since he is from there. I find that confusing since everyone in the village will have the same last name! So our host for our visit is Leif Inge Undredal. The village has 60 people in it and they have the smallest stave church in all of Norway. Norway has 28 stave churches remaining and in this trip, we saw 3.

The Undredal dock, people take huge ferry boats to move from village to village. There is a flashing light which you turn on if you want the ferry to pick you up. Tourists take these ferries too.

The local store

The stave church; this church can hold 45 people. The main religion in Norway is Lutheran.

The inside of the church, our local guide telling us about the church. It's about 8 hundred years old and they have made renovations to make the church last longer. They put stone foundations underneath, 30 cm high to keep the water from destroying the wood underneath.

Lunch was served after our little tour. Of course, it's not complete without goat cheese! The picture is not clear but the cheese in the middle is brown cheese. I prefer the aged goat cheese.

This was where we had a choice to eat reindeer meatballs. I have the picture in my earlier post. Anyway, it was delicious! Apples are big in Norway and they have multiple ways of turning them to dessert. For this meal we had apple cake and we had several different versions of apple cake throughout the trip.

We took off our suits in the docking area when we arrived in Undredal. After lunch, we put them back on again and headed on to more sights on the fjord.

Goats on the fjord, the farmers leave them to graze and collect them at the end of the day

This is a docking area for boats. There is a small bed and breakfast place higher up on the mountain which visitors hike up to. You have to see the terrain and decide whether you want to include it in your bucket list. We were told the booking is 3 years out!

Small villages dot the fjord like this one. The population is usually in the double digits.

We also had the chance to see Torgeir's home on the cliff of a mountain. He had his mom wave a white carpet to us so we can spot his home. It's too high up on the mountain for anyone's zoom camera so Kira had a great idea of shooting his home through her binoculars! It was priceless! At the end, we all shouted "Hi mom!" followed by "Bye mom!" Later Torgeir confirmed that she did hear us! What a great view!!

You will tire of waterfalls by the end of the trip! Not really - cause they are so picturesque! There are lots of them and mainly from melting snow and ice on top of the mountain.

Our group on the RIB. We did see harbor seals and some spotted porpoises.

One of three cruise ships docked in Flam. It would have been nice to bump on the Disney Magic here!!

We went through Naeroyfjorden (Narrow Fjord) somewhere along the way. It was just difficult to orient myself which fjord we were on. This fjord is on the UNESCO World Heritage list as well.

After the fjordsafari, you have time on your own. We checked out the Aurlandskoen store since it closes early at 4 pm. We were done with the safari at 330. This is the time you can take the train ride if you wish to. We opted to join the optional hike with our ABD guides. It was an easy hike right next to the hotel.

This was our backyard in Flam...

Our hiking group

Our hotel is on the left side

Kira pretending to be a hulder.

Again, Flam's town center

Our guides again taking a photo of our group

Dinner was on our own. Norway has a very low unemployment rate and is the richest country per capita so a lot of Europeans like Spaniards, Italians, Polish go to Norway to look for jobs and some even for summer jobs since they would make more in Norway than they would in their home country.

Great report and phenomenal pictures! We will be cruising Norway in early August, Flam is one of our stops and I am really looking forward to it. Reading your report is making me realize how much more there is to see and do with a land tour. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences!

Great report and beautiful photos Tufbuf. Looks like we need to add Norway to our list. It looks like it might have been cool, but no rain. What was the weather like during your trip. We leave for Spain on Thursday and it is betwen 104 and 108 for our trip there, so maybe a cooler trip is in order. :)

Great report and beautiful photos Tufbuf. Looks like we need to add Norway to our list. It looks like it might have been cool, but no rain. What was the weather like during your trip. We leave for Spain on Thursday and it is betwen 104 and 108 for our trip there, so maybe a cooler trip is in order. :)

We had cool temps 40s and 50s, cooler in Geiranger. I think we even have mornings in the 30s. But like I said, they are having a very cold spring and the locals are griping about it. It might be warmer in July or August.

Oslo is nice - high 60s to low 70s. I could have worn shorts if I brought one!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your report Tufbuf. Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much. We just returned from a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks (with another tour company) and the temps were in the 90's. Crazy for this time of year in that part of the world.

Thank you, carpenta and RSM!! I really hope my trip report will help encourage others who are thinking about doing Norway ABD and go for it! It does not seem to be a popular trip here in the DIS. Norway is a pleasant surprise and the tranqulity of the fjord plus the gentle folks who live there was very refreshing!

So onwards! Day 4 of the trip, we leave Flam for Geiranger. We had the pleasure of going through Laerdalstunnelen, which is the second longest tunnel in the world next to the Swiss Gotthard Road. It is 15 miles long! I didn't realize it could be so disorienting, they designed the tunnel taking into consideration the mental strain on drivers. So the tunnel is divided into four sections, separated by three large mountain caves at 6-kilometer intervals. The main tunnel has white lights, the caves have blue lighting with yellow lights at the fringes to give an impression of sunrise. The caves are meant to break the routine and allow drivers to take a short rest. The caverns are also used as turn around points and for break areas to help lift claustrophobia during a 20-minute drive through the tunnel. Each lane is supplied with a loud rumble strip toward the center to keep the drivers from being falling asleep. Scotland is to roundabouts and Norway is to tunnels. Someone counted the number of tunnels we went through the whole trip and she counted 60! That was an adventure by itself! How often do you do that?

Our first stop for the day was the Borgund Stavkyrkje or the Borgund Stave Church. I find this fascinating since the first time I've heard or seen a stave church was at Epcot. I thought the architecture was very unique and seeing the real thing was very interesting. The church is over a thousand years old and most of it are still the original pieces. It is completely made of wood. The walls are formed by vertical wooden boards or staves, thus the name. Four posts support the whole structure. The color outside is black because it is covered with tar to help protect it from the elements.

The red building is a newer church to help accommodate the growing population in the area. The middle structure is the bell tower.

Different angles of the church

Inside the church

17th century altar piece

The ceiling patterned after a Viking ship construction

The new church

Inside the church

We then headed for lunch, not before more adventure. First, we crossed the fjord from Laerdal to Sogndal. Sogndal is where Torgeir is currently going to school. He pointed out his apartment and showed us his school as well.

Here is our proficient driver Helga. He has witnessed the glaciers recede through his 40 years of driving around Norway! Olaf kept him company throughout the trip.

Lining up for the ferry

We are on the ferry! It was just a 15 minute ride but we were allowed to get off the coach.

We are now on the other side in Sogndal entering another tunnel, as you can see...

So all that travel was all worth it. Our next stop was lunch! We went to a village called Fjaerland and ate in a restaurant named Brevasshytta or "glacier water cabin". It is so named since we had a great view of Boyabreen or the Boya glacier which is a glacier arm of the Jostedal glacier, the largest glacier in continental Europe.

I mean, this is just so worth it!... again food was delicious!

Dessert is another apple cake concoction and it was yum!

We made our way to Geiranger after lunch. This is a sample of how the roads looked like. We pretty much had to go through mountains to get to the hotel. We had to kept reminding ourselves it's the middle of June. People were skiing down the slopes in some remote areas - unbelievable! You can see the ski tracks in the second photo.

Finally a glimpse of Geiranger...

Last edited:
I worry a bit about Norway being less popular as well (along with Spain).

That stave church is beautiful. FWIW, that's not something you can see from DCL's cruise ports. Ironic, because a picture of it is advertised all over DCL's marketing. It looks amazing! Great photos.

I worry a bit about Norway being less popular as well (along with Spain).

That stave church is beautiful. FWIW, that's not something you can see from DCL's cruise ports. Ironic, because a picture of it is advertised all over DCL's marketing. It looks amazing! Great photos.

As I have posted before we would love to do this trip. ABD has told us that there are no triples available for my family which consists of two adults and one 15 yr. old daughter. ABD only has one double and a single room which will be charged a single supplement charge. It does not sound to me that ABD is doing much to encourage families to take this trip IMO. Too late for we now will be doing another Tauck Bridges tour next year. Three less travelers for ABD next year. But I can live through Tufbuf though.......

As I have posted before we would love to do this trip. ABD has told us that there are no triples available for my family which consists of two adults and one 15 yr. old daughter. ABD only has one double and a single room which will be charged a single supplement charge. It does not sound to me that ABD is doing much to encourage families to take this trip IMO. Too late for we now will be doing another Tauck Bridges tour next year. Three less travelers for ABD next year. But I can live through Tufbuf though.......

I wonder about that since we are a triple family. There was another multigenerational family in the trip and they were 5, for sure one of them had a triple room. In Bergen and Geiranger, the third bed is a sofa bed while in Flam and Oslo, we had a rollaway. The rooms are quite spacious too and I wonder if that is accurate info they gave you. Anyway, do consider this trip in the future. It's one of our top favorites now! And I'm glad I'm helping you live through it :flower3:

Gorgeous scenery and photos! And I like the strawberry/blueberries hidden Mickey with dessert :)!

We actually booked the 7n Norwegian fjord cruise but changed it to an ABD since we wanted to see the land more. Yeah, these stave churches are more inland but its unique structure is quite interesting.

Gorgeous scenery and photos! And I like the strawberry/blueberries hidden Mickey with dessert :)!

Well what do you know... I think someone did notice that in our group, I just forgot to mention it.:flower:

Hotel Union is also a very nice hotel. The interior design looks dated but it's nice, quiet and comfortable. We are all in rooms with a fjord view and this is what you see in the morning...The Disney Magic promo shot for the Norwegian fjord cruise was taken here.

Breakfast in the hotel was again, wonderful. They have a wide selection and everything was, again, delicious. We were assigned a quieter dining area on the farther side of the buffet tables, which is great since the main dining area is filled with tourists every meal time!

The following day was trout fishing day. We went to Lake Leon which is less than an hour drive from the hotel. It is again a very serene location. This was the day we had some rain but it's just a drizzle. The lake is a glacier lake, icy cold with a greenish tint due to the sendiment stirred at the bottom of the lake. Jan, our host in Kjenndalstova, laid the nets in the water for easy fishing. All we did was bring the nets up and remove the fish out of the nets. It wasn't easy since the fish gets all tangled up in the net.

The catch of the day...

After freeing the trout, most of us went canoeing on the lake. Some went alone and you can go in two's or three's. The tranquil atmosphere is so relaxing, air feels clean and fresh, DH and I had lots of laughs since somehow, we couldn't paddle the canoe straight.

The Kjenndalsbreen or Kjendall glacier is seen on top of the mountain on the left.

Lunch was prepared again by our gracious host. I had the red deer burger mixed with kid goat meat - yum! The other choice was trout, of course and for dessert, we had flan -mmm-mmmm!!!

View from the dining area...

Trolls abound

After a hearty lunch, we headed off to our next stop - Briksdalsbreen or the Briksdal glacier. It is the most well known arm of the Jostedal glacier, which I mentioned earlier the biggest glacier in mainland Europe. It is about 6000 years old! One of the attractions in the national park is to hike the glacier, which takes about 3 days 14 hours/day! Anyway, the Briksdal glacier has grown and receded over the past decades. It does not look anything like the photo up on the ABD site. It is one of the more accessible glaciers since it is only 1100 feet above sea level. They have markers along the way when we went up the mountain where the foot of the glacier used to be. To go up the glacier, we got on what they call troll cars.

Up, up we go!

The Briksdal glacier

We then suited up to canoe the glacier lake. We were the only group canoeing and there were several tourists on the shore who took tons of photos of us! This time we just wore boots, life vest and a helmet. While on the canoe, we learned more about the glacier. Our captain, as he said he should be called, he and his family owns the land on the national park. This is where we learned Norway's way of life which is, "Every man's right". Each one has a right to the land, like camp if they wish in the national park or set up a business right next to another or hike up the mountain if you wish without permits. If something unfortunate happens to you then it is your fault and no ones else's. Sounds kinda good in a way...

Mind you, we had the carry the boat to the water and back. It's one heavy piece of equipment!

We headed back to Geiranger after. I guess to break the routine of long coach rides, we took the ferry from Hellesylt back to Geiranger. This is a longer ferry ride, over and hour long and it takes you at the town center.

The Seven Sisters waterfall...it's not very impressive this time of the year since there's not much melting snow and ice

Dinner was on our own that evening. We just ate a meal on the ferry since we did not want to stay in town and walk up 300 flights of stairs! ;) We are saving our strength for the hikes the next day...

Your pictures are amazing. You should work for the Norway Dept. of Tourism (lol). Those troll buggies look like John Deere makes or at least the color scheme.

I'm loving your trip report so far. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and photos. I spent half a day in Bergen on a cruise several years ago and would love to visit Norway again, it's such a beautiful country.

Aaaawww, carpenta, you are too kind!!:rainbow: And thanks, loop!!

So, onwards!... Last day in Geiranger :( is a visit to Westeras Farm. Like I said earlier, this could be a really slow day or the most active day. We chose the latter, which means we take all the hikes. The farm is above the cliff of Geiranger proper and there is a hiking trail from the hotel to the farm which takes about 45 minutes to an hour. Those who did not want to hike took a small bus to the farm.

From the hiking sign, they graded the hike as a 2, which is easy. It's a 2 km uphill hike and it's a workout!

Torgeir lead the hike

That's our hiking group on the lower right. You could see a great view of Geiranger central from this point.

We're almost there!..

Once up in the farm, we met the owners Arnfinn and Iris Westeras (pronounced like Voes-tras). They had the farm for a number of generations. People still have farms in the fjord area which they maintain but they also have other jobs which pay the bills. Like Torgeir's parents, his mom is a nurse and his father does landscaping. He actually landscaped part of the Fretheim Hotel. Arnfinn does some construction work on the side aside from his farming.

They demonstrated how they cut the grass using a sickle. Torgeir, a farmer himself, showed us how it's done. He showed us three sickle lengths, the longer one requires swiveling from the hip, and the middle one, more of shoulder work and the shortest one is mainly used using the arms. Most of us tried our hand in sickling, not an easy task!

He then showed us an easier way of cutting the grass, which is still not easy since that machinery looks very heavy and no walk in the park cutting it on an incline!

We wondered if these rakes and pitchforks were neatly prepared for us....

Well, our hunch was right! Here we go a-raking! We collected the cut grass in a line and Arnfinn is preparing an elm branch to demonstrate to us how the grass is collected and brought down the hill.

The grass is loaded on the branch and the kids rode on it. Most of the famer's children worked on the farm so they make it entertaining for themselves with the dull work.

Sometimes they would compete and roll down the hill, then run back to see who is the fastest!

The hay is then tied, collected and placed in a barn for the goats' and sheep's winter meal.

After the farm demo, it was tie to meet the goats! He had 3 kids which the JA's fed. We got to do this in our Ireland ABD as well.

The llamas are there to ward off predators who might want to eat the goat and sheep. You can see our hotel down below!

The goat appreciates the great view! :)

Next, we followed the goats for a short hike to an awesome viewpoint.

It was a short hike and this is what you initially see. The wooden structure on the left is where they store their hay for winter use.

And behold, Geirangerfjorden! This was the backdrop we used for more family photos. Can you imagine yours?....

Simply breathtaking!

The goats know the best views...

After all that hiking, we were ready for lunch! They served a choice of fish or meat soup and rommegrot which is a sour cream porridge mixed with melted butter, cinnamon sugar and raisins. For some reason, I did not take a photo of that particular meal! Anyway, it looks like oatmeal and it wasn't sour. It was too rich for me so I just tasted it. Torgeir said it's a very traditional Norse meal served usually in special occasions. I can see why! Dessert was a yogurt concoction, which was also yummy!!

Our lunch room

All the fish soup we tried in this trip all look like this and taste same. It's a creamy soup with lots of seafood bits in it.

I got meat soup this time and again, it's delicious! It was extra yummy especially after a good hike!

After lunch, about half of us hiked to the waterfall. It is also labeled as an easy hike and again, it is a workout! It's also a little longer than the first hike. There were Nepalese sherpas who laid stone steps part of the ways but most of the path was a muddy trail.

Our destination on the right... this time Kira lead the hike! Torgeir is at the back of the pack.

This is the end of our hike. You can see the waterfall below. We divided ourselves in groups of about 6 and took turns going down behind the waterfall.

Torgeir leading us behind the waterfall...

This was just amazing!!! How often do you go behind a waterfall in Norway?!?!

We hiked back after a few photos and we were back in the hotel at around 4 pm. Those who did not hike to the waterfall had about 5 hours of free time. This is when you can go to the spa or check out the shops in the center below. I had to buy my Geiranger chocolates so DH and I went down to the city center, like we didn't hike enough that day.

Dinner was at the hotel. It's a log cabin which we can see from our window and we had all sorts of barbecue meats and to DD's delight, mac n cheese!

Dessert was svele, a Norwegian pancake. Torgeir is showing us how it's done. It tastes like our pancake but they mix it with fruits and ice cream. A great way to end an active day, I say!

The next day, we leave for Oslo. I intended to take more HDR photos but only found the chance on our last morning in Geiranger. The first photo is the view from our balcony. It got really cloudy the day we left and we could not see the tops of the mountains.

The log cabin below was where we had dinner the night before. The roof with the grass growing on it is also very typical in Norway. Torgeir said it keeps the roof in place. You can see the fjord from here.

Yep, that pretty much looks like the fish soup we had as well. It was very tasty though. Those are beautiful photos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter