• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Norwegian dropping vaccine requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have exact numbers because nobody's publishing them. But, from reports on these forums, the case spread seems to be way higher now than it was back then. The variant of Covid-19 wasn't that different, though. In the fall and winter, when PCR testing at the port was required, Omicron was the dominant variant and we had that massive wave of cases.

I understand the downsides of testing at the port, though. I'm not here to argue about it and get us all in trouble again!
Keep in mind cases also went up, once masking went away... there are more factors besides testing.

Exactly. I’ve never bought into that reason for requiring vaccinations.
Seeing how covid spreads like wild fire and seeing the differenc in hospitalizations now vs 2019 it should make logical sense. ICUs were more full of Covid vs Heart attack/stroke victiims back in 2019 and for smaller island nations- a heart attack patient spends significantly less time in ICU than a Covid patient. That was the health care issues. Patients were there for WEEKS. But lenght of cruise plays a factor too. A 4 night bahamas cruise is low risk of a medical emergency impacting operations, worse case they transfort back to the mainland..

Issue is longer- trans-oceanic sailings with 4 or 5 sea days back to back. or more southern islands in the carrribean that are still quiet a distance. USVI ex.I am surprised Norweigen didnt differentiate seeing they do sails some longer sailings.

Last edited:
I'm fine moving on with life. After three calendar years (and looking at a fourth), it's time to move forward and accept that this virus will be with us like the common cold, flu, and other respiratory viruses. Let each person decide for themselves what their own tolerances are and chose to sail or not. This is true with going to a local restaurant, on an airplane, the local Walmart, and elsewhere; the same should be for the cruise industry. We hear the numbers for ships because they have to report incidents. Cruise ships are treated as though they are this ominous boogie man lurking to bring havic upon those who dare to walk across the gangway. But this virus is in our day-to-day lives as well and in the air around us regardless of where we step foot.

I have an upcoming cruise in March with Regent Seven Seas and am thrilled that they (NCL) are lifting their testing requirements. I can only hope that DCL decides to do the same thing before my cruise in December. I'm fine with vaccine requirements (perhaps wave under 5 or so), but one could argue that pre-testing is really nothing more than a dog and pony show and is not effective.

Last edited:
I can’t help but wonder about the reasons behind unreported numbers. Were they not reported to help the industry or so not to hurt the industry?
I have no doubt it was to help the cruise industry. They want people to cruise. Publishing the numbers might scare people away. It’s the same reason you don’t hear about the number of people testing positive after visiting the parks.

That said, they probably don’t have the numbers. Most people aren’t tested on the ship, so asymptomatic or “just allergies/cold” people won’t be captured. For short cruises, you’re unlikely to develop symptoms while on the ship. We (the US) do a terrible job of contact tracing, and the prevalence of at-home testing (needed mind you) without reporting to CDC, State or Doctors - and also asking “where have you been?” - means they don’t have real numbers to report. And they probably want it that way. Imagine if, say, Disney did report that Disney World had become a super spreader or NCL admired a cruise had been. Not testing on-cruise or post-cruise or follow-up contact tracing means the problem can be “ignored.”

I see your point. Although what if the people who want or require testing and vaccines changed to the last company that still offered it? Perhaps Disneys gain will be Norwegians loss, and vice versa, making it a wash?
That’s an interesting idea. I certainly would be more happy about the premium for sailing Disney if I knew my risk of catching Covid - and thus reducing my risk of long Covid - was significantly less for me and my family.

I'm fine moving on with life. After three calendar years (and looking at a fourth), it's time to move forward and accept that this virus will be with us like the common cold, flu, and other respiratory viruses. Let each person decide for themselves what their own tolerances are and chose to sail or not. This is true with going to a local restaurant, on an airplane, the local Walmart, and elsewhere; the same should be for the cruise industry. We hear the numbers for ships because they have to report incidents. Cruise ships are treated as though they are this ominous boogie man lurking to bring havic upon those who dare to walk across the gangway. But this virus is in our day-to-day lives as well and in the air around us regardless of where we step foot.

I have an upcoming cruise in March with Regent Seven Seas and am thrilled that they (NCL) are lifting their testing requirements. I can only hope that DCL decides to do the same thing before my cruise in December. I'm fine with vaccine requirements (perhaps wave under 5 or so), but one could argue that pre-testing is really nothing more than a dog and pony show and is not effective.
Amen. I said this a long time ago. We will not get rid of COVID and we just have to live with it. People will get it and that's just a fact of life. Like the flu, you can get a shot and reduce the severity of the illness, so I get the vaccination requirements right now. However, as we get more exposed/vaccinated to the virus the severity will drop off as we're already seeing. So testing needs to go away. We don't test for the flu or other illnesses, so why this?

So I agree that the testing requirement is starting to be "more for show" than actual substance. How much money have people/insurance spent on testing? It's likely a lucrative business with PCR tests going for $100+ a pop. A family of four is over $400 to get tested prior to sailing.

Plus all the stress associated prior to the cruise. We're going soon and we've had to basically isolate ourselves for the last two weeks so we don't "pop hot."

Then anyone at high risk for other major medical events shouldn’t cruise either. And many of those people still cruise
As someone who is high risk I love cruising. Can’t wait to hopefully go in February 2023 when hopefully the variant is less contagious. Wishful thinking. I’d like if pre-testing was gone, but if not I won’t complain. Vaccinated doesn’t effect me because I’d of got it either way after getting flu in 2014 which we think brought my autoimmune disease out

I don’t think it would be legal or ethical to prevent others with medical issues from cruising. Getting vaccinated is a choice not a medical condition.

Not all can be vaccinated medically speaking, and Disney is not even allowing exemptions while some did. They ban pregnancy after 24 weeks, so they probably could do more if they choose too.

I’m more comfortable cruising with a vaccine requirement. Given that Disney is cruising at or near full capacity and increasing cruise prices, it doesn’t appear that the vaccine requirement is hurting them financially. I also suspect that vaxxed consumers are better business for a number of reasons (from a purely financial perspective, more likely to be educated/ higher income). I’d like them to update the under 5 vaccine policy and am fine with eliminating the testing requirement. The antigen test a few days before is difficult on consumers and must be a headache to administer.

We need to see what numbers look this fall. Revenge travel is nearing an end and everything is costing a fortune lately. There are more and more discounts starting to come out to Florida Residents I have seen and those tend to be more common when the ships are filling as well.

And now you won't even really see the covid numbers period since they won't be reporting them to the CDC in the same way. Covid reporting is weak at best most places now too with so many at home tests and people just not testing every time they think they might be sick.

Maybe just maybe we will be able to do our Disney wish cruise next year.

Disney will be slow and the last by months though. So not counting on anything yet.

Maybe it’s time to try a new cruise line 🤷🏼‍♀️.
After 13 Disney cruises and one Princess I finally convinced DH to try NCL (2nd to last cruise before the world shut down). We couldn't beat the price. We had a fantastic time. So much so I was ready to leave Disney in behind completely. Him, not yet but we won't thing twice about going on someone different now.

I’m hoping DCL drops testing, but vaccine I don’t mind. I’m a lower risk, high risk person if that makes sense getting flu once in 2014 and got flu vaccine ever since I don’t wish that on anyone.

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2018. And we think getting flu brought it out, but a common cold could bring it out as well.

My mom hates cruises, but hopefully it’s less contagious is February so Dad and I can finally cruise again

Then anyone at high risk for other major medical events shouldn’t cruise either. And many of those people still cruise.

But those at high risk of serious complications aren't putting anyone else at risk, just themselves. I just don't see a reason to be all up in arms over taking a simple test to be sure you aren't, at least at the moment, infected with Covid. Of all of the people who shouldn't cruise, those infected with the virus are at the top of the list. By removing testing, you're just throwing the doors open to a mass spread of the disease, much more than the anecdotal reports we read. Those who don't want testing feel that way because they want to be able to cruise even when they are positive for Covid. I can't imagine.....

But those at high risk of serious complications aren't putting anyone else at risk, just themselves. I just don't see a reason to be all up in arms over taking a simple test to be sure you aren't, at least at the moment, infected with Covid. Of all of the people who shouldn't cruise, those infected with the virus are at the top of the list. By removing testing, you're just throwing the doors open to a mass spread of the disease, much more than the anecdotal reports we read. Those who don't want testing feel that way because they want to be able to cruise even when they are positive for Covid. I can't imagine.....
I’m lower end of high risk with lupus I’m for ending pre-testing for the stress part, but won’t complain if not removed either. It not 100%, but it helps too. So I u definitely I understand.

I don’t think it would be legal or ethical to prevent others with medical issues from cruising. Getting vaccinated is a choice not a medical condition.
Not necessarily illegal or unethical, for example no cruise let's women over 24 weeks pregnant on because of medical limitations should a preterm delivery happen (or health of mother become in jeopardy).

I’m lower end of high risk with lupus I’m for ending pre-testing for the stress part, but won’t complain if not removed either. It not 100%, but it helps too. So I u definitely I understand.

I actually have no stress at all about testing. We accepted that there is a possibility that one of us could test positive and not be able to cruise. Of course we'd be disappointed, but we have alternative plans in place and we insured to prevent losing any money. If I'm positive, I have no business cruising. I'd rather deal with not being able to cruise than board the ship unknowingly spreading Covid to others, because that's all no testing will do- allow those who are positive to cruise anyway.

Last edited:
I'm reading tea leaves here, but there is a court case pending in the 11th circuit court of appeals that could come out against Norwegian. It only applies to the state of Florida, but it could find that Cruise lines CAN'T discriminate against passengers based on vaccine status. Looks like Norwegian's new policy would comply with the Florida law - but DCL would not and would have to change things fast.

After 13 Disney cruises and one Princess I finally convinced DH to try NCL (2nd to last cruise before the world shut down). We couldn't beat the price. We had a fantastic time. So much so I was ready to leave Disney in behind completely. Him, not yet but we won't thing twice about going on someone different now.
What's funny is NCL is starting to get pretty expensive. I love NCL, but price wise I would put them as the second most expensive behind Disney. Even when on board, you've got to pay for several things to get the "full" experience. They of course bundle things in like the drink package, specialty dining, internet, etc. but it just raises the price to get on the ship.

Funny enough, one of my favorite ships beyond Disney right now is the Carnival Mardi Gras. Mainly for its cost, food, and music.

I’m hoping DCL drops testing, but vaccine I don’t mind. I’m a lower risk, high risk person if that makes sense getting flu once in 2014 and got flu vaccine ever since I don’t wish that on anyone.

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2018. And we think getting flu brought it out, but a common cold could bring it out as well.

My mom hates cruises, but hopefully it’s less contagious is February so Dad and I can finally cruise again
I think the biggest thing for Disney in moving slower is the crew members. You've already got a limited amount of crew for each position. If one or more gets sick, it can be a big problem for the ship. It isn't easy for them to just bring other people on and swap someone off. That's part of the reason I think the character hugs haven't come back. If a few of those characters get sick, you can't have a Disney cruise without the characters and guests certainly wouldn't be happy with a limited number of characters on the cruise.

I read recently about someone saying they went on a Disney cruise without a cruise director. Not sure how true it is, but still could definitely effect the vacation.

I work in the travel industry- and based on various market studies I have read over the past year or so- vaccine requirements generally speaking is not the issue affecting the bottom line when it comes to potential customers traveling. Sure businssess lose this group, but it is not as significant compared those who are. Demograhically speaking, most showing a williness to travel are vaccinated.

The issue for the industry is/was the testing and quarantie rules. The number of unvaxxed people willing to travel is significantly less than those vaxxed who are willing to travel but fear a positive test/quarantine that will result in additional costs, or lost vacation time.

Bottom line: cruiselines will see enough increase in vaxxed passengers willing to sail due to the testing issue, to compensate for those who CAN'T sail. Many cruise lines allow 10% non-vaxxed already, I don't know DCLS numbers, but I doubt allowing the non-vaxxed to sail will help their numbers. Getting rid of testing alone for vaxxed will fill their ships. Though DCL has this issue of requireing vaxx for the under 12. Many dont..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter