Not a good trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

campingqueen

Earning My Ears
I have sent a letter to the man that manages the campground and one that manages all resorts. I will let you know the out come. Looks like we will end up selling the camper since the only place we camp is Ft Wilderness and I am not planing on returning for some time. I have changed my reservations for 1 week in February to All Stars. I will post my letter that I sent below.

Dear Sirs,

I just arrived home last night from a weeks stay at the Ft Wilderness campground, and I am at the point of selling my camper. Let me try to explain. I have been visiting your campground since I was a young child. I am now 36 years old. This is a practice that I now do with my own children and husband. I'm sure if you looked in the reservation computer, under our names, you will see we visit every few
months and stay at either at Ft Wilderness or the All Stars Resort. You would also notice that is isn't only when the rates are at a reduced rate. We have paid from $34 to $72 a night to stay in the campground, it doesn't matter. You see my husband is a St. Pete police officer and this is his way of getting away from all the awful things he has to see day in and day out.

The problem I now have with the Ft Wilderness campground is the "snowbirds." They show up right around Halloween and don't depart until right before Valentine's Day. Only during the snowbird rate period. You won't find them staying at the
campground unless they are paying the greatly reduced rate. This has been proven in the past. During the Millennium celebration, the reduced rate was not offered during the holidays. They all left Ft Wilderness and stayed at smaller
campgrounds in the Orlando area until the rates went back down. I understand that the rate is given if the stay is 28 days or longer. I don't have a problem with the rate. The problem is where these snowbirds get to stay, how they conduct themselves and how several members of your staff cater to these subjects around the clock.

They have all managed to get themselves the best campsites, next to the comfort stations and in the larger sites with the bigger concrete pads. If you were to take a tour around the 1100, 1200 and 1300 loops, you would find that the 1100 loop is almost totally filled with these snowbirds, or "fulltimers" as several members of your staff have come to call them. The sites in the 1200 loop that are closest to the comfort station are also filled with these "fulltimers." Then you come to the 1300 loop. Again, most of the best sites near the comfort station are occupied by these snowbirds. You will find at site #1301, there is a woman that is beyond belief. She stores her trailer here in the Orlando area and lives up north. When she flies into Orlando, one of your cast members picks her up and sits with her until her trailer is delivered to Ft Wilderness... by another cast member. This is probably done out of friendship, but the attitude of the woman is that it is totally expected. We were unfortunate to be next to her while she waited for "her site" to be vacated by
another guest. During the four days we were next to her, we had to listen to her very boisterous visits with several of your cast members. One in particular, Larry, made it a point to visit her several times a day, while on company time. most of
these visits lasted 15 - 20 minutes each. If I had thought of it, I would have tracked the time he spent there, to calculate how much money he was stealing from the company. I was also informed that Larry would routinely take this woman to church
every Sunday in Disney company vehicles. After she was moved to site #1301, the very next day, one of the cast members drug an old set of wooden steps to her camp site. If my memory serves, these were the same steps that were attached to the old Fleetwood homes and should have been thrown away years ago. Larry and your night time cast member, Gene, have made a habit of hiding these steps for certain guests during the year, then dragging them out when their friends arrive.

While we were at the site next to her, I heard her bragging to another couple how she needed to get "her site" quickly, as she had 6 families that were coming to stay with her throughout the holiday season. That's six families who are not having to pay to
stay at Disney, while they stay with this woman at her greatly reduced rate. This is money that Disney will never see.

The group that has now taken over the 1100 loop area a site to see. They have organized themselves into a little commune, that behave, at time, worse than the "weekend warriors" who most of your staff have grown to resent. These snowbirds are convinced that if they stopped coming to the campground, it would cease to exist. In fact, several of your cast members have expressed the same sentiment. I don't understand how the snowbirds or the cast members can believe that. Many time we have tried to get reservations and the campground is full, or near capacity, without the snowbirds being there. In fact, I know of at least 4 families who have been trying to get reservations throughout the holidays, and they have been turned away, even
though they are willing to pay the regular rate. The snowbirds are only paying a fraction of what the rest of the visitors are paying.

So not only do they get the best and most convenient sites, but they get it for the cheapest amount. They also get undivided attention from most of the cast members. I can see the cast member's point though, as long as these snowbirds are there, concentrated into several of the loops, then that is less work that cast member has to do.

I am not the only one who has seen this. We have spoken with numerous other guests who have had to put up with the arrogance of these snowbirds, as well as not being able to be near a comfort station in a good loop. Even my daughter heard other guests complaining about the same thing at the Meadows store.

This last trip, my parents decided to also camp in their 5th wheeler. When the reservations were made, we were told that the notes showed we asked to be next to one another. I was told by room assignments, one day before my parents
arrived, that we were scheduled to either be next to one another, or across the street. We ended up six sites down from them, on the other side of the street. Coordinating dinners with them became a burden as it became difficult to maneuver
cooked meals down the street. The site that was next to them was taken approximately 10 minutes before our arrival. I understand the sites should be assigned on a first come - first served basis, but we have been on the receiving end
of not getting a site because it was being held for either groups camping together, or a guest with a special need. While we were setting up, a room assignment manager by the name of Greg, arrived, and presented the guests next to my parents with their paperwork, room keys and parking pass. When I questioned
Greg why that site was "held" for someone else, I was told by Greg that he did it and it was a "special" situation. After getting nothing but a standard "company" answer, Greg finally stated that the guest had a list of sites where his satellite dish
would work, so they gave them that site. When the conversation turned to the "special treatment" the snowbirds get, Greg tried to state that the company could not discriminate on the basis of who stays the longest and that everything is done fairly. Why then, if you go to the All Star Resorts, do you have to pay $10 more to stay near the food court or the pool. These snowbirds are getting better sites, for a lot less money! Greg's only response was this is how it is and it won't be changing.

As we were packing our stuff together to leave, an older couple walked up to the lady that was cleaning (Nancy) and asked for her to clean a site in the 1200. We found out that this is one of the ways the snowbirds get "their" sites. They bypass the check in line by sneaking in the gate. They find a site they like and move in. They then call the front desk and tell them where they will be staying. Shortly after, someone from the front desk arrives and hands them all their paperwork. I witnessed this twice on this visit and at least once during our October visit.

Our daughter is competing in Twirl-mania in February. We were originally going to stay at the campground for the week and had booked our reservations. We decided to try to stay at the All Star instead. When I called central reservations and told them I wanted to change from Ft Wilderness to All Stars and explained
that my entire week was ruined by the practices of the cast members and the snowbirds alike, the gentleman on the phone informed me that he had the privilege of being treated like garbage by these people when they called in and DEMANDED
certain sites and the reduced rate when they booked their reservations. More and more cast members we speak with throughout the company have become aware of this problem.

Two weeks ago, friends of ours who have a child with MS, called ahead and explained that they needed a special needs site, near the comfort station. When they checked in, they were on the 1200 loop, on the opposite side from the comport station. Even they noticed the number of snowbirds who had taken up most of the sites closest to the comfort station. Their child has difficulty walking and travels in a scooter and no consideration was given to this family.

Since I have gone on complaining about a problem, let me try to offer a solution. If these snowbirds are going to stay for long periods of time, and they all want to be together, then put them in the 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900 loops. These are not as
popular and are rarely full. Or, don't allow someone who is getting such a greatly reduced rate stay near the comfort station on the nicest loops. It is fair and is not discriminatory, as the company has taken a similar stance at the All Star Resorts.

Please don't believe the snowbirds are the savior of Disney or Ft Wilderness. I would bet that if they did not get a greatly discounted rate these people wouldn't even camp at Ft Wilderness. I would also venture to say, without these people, you would get more productivity out of Larry, Gene and several other of your cast members.

I am not asking for preferential treatment, or to be treated better then anyone else, I am only asking to be treated fairly and the same way as everyone else.

Welcome back Michelle,

I am sorry you had a bad experience on your trip, I hope you reconsider your camping / rving future. Its a great way to travel.

I also have some thoughts on the Permanent Fort Wilderness residents, don't have time now though, back to work I go....

What a bummer to hear of your experience. We are planning our first trip to FW with our 3 children (9,5,5) and were requesting a loop near a playground thinking loop 1200. Are there any alternate loops someone could recommend very close to a playground (not requiring them to cross a main road)?

THis news kinda burst my bubble a bit, but I will keep a positive attitude and know that we will have a great time.

Karen

I remember back in the "good ole days" (1980's?) when FW had a policy that said people couldn't reserve more than 14 days in a row. They told us it was to keep people from living there all winter. Obviously, they have changed the policy.

I'm so sorry you had to have such a bad experience because of this. But, please reconsider selling your trailer! Could you stay at All Stars during the "snowbird" season, and use your trailer during the other months?

Why would you sell your trailer just because you're unhappy with FW? Seems kind of drastic to me . . .

We are going to stay the week at the All Stars when we go in February. (we had resv. at Ft Wilderness and changed them) It just makes me so mad, yes we can stay there other times during the year and we do that but to get the lower rate (34.00) it is during the snow bird season. It sorta off sets the 72.00 rate we pay at other times of the year.

Like I said we don't camp any place other then Ft Wilderness so if we decide to not go there then there really isn't a reason to keep the camper.

It is so frustrating. Because just like the sign says when you pull in "welcome Home" We camp there so often it really feels like home.

I am still waiting to hear from someone from Disney before we make our final decision

Hope you get a reply. Please let us know!

After reading the initial post here, I must say that I feel bad that you had the experience that you did. I can certainly understand any resentment that you might have toward these "full-timers". We are from the north and have done the "snowbird" thing for up to 6 weeks in the past. Our experience with the long 6 week trip was that it was something that we would not be repeating, as it took away from the "Disney Magic". We currently schedule all of our trips for between 2 and 3 weeks, as the drive is just so long that we like to make it "worth our while". We are entirely aware of the "crew" that you are referencing, though. We see them/have seen them during our stays ..... just saw them over our recent Thanksgiving trip. While we have not witnessed the same behaviors that you outlined (we stay exclusively in the pet loops, as we bring our dogs), we have witnessed others ..... specifically, preferential treatment while at Trail's End. On the positive side, some of the nicest people we have met (and may I add, not displaying the behaviors you mentioned) have been "snowbirds" that were camping in FW and working at WDW during the holiday season ...... also in the pet loops (must be something about us dog owners!). On the flip side, we have seen MANY Florida residents who act as if they "own" the place (not inferring that you are one of them). The "locals" do not seem to follow the rules established by the park and as far as we can see, do not pay the same hefty rates that we "out-of-staters" do. We do not get any kind of special discounts and we do not get FL discounts on our passes (we have 6 annual passes ...... not discounted). While your family in particular may have had a bad experience, I do not believe it warrants giving up camping altogether. Bottom line ....... we have seen the decline in FW amenities over the many years that we have been camping there, but overall there is no place like it and we have no intention of camping elsewhere ..... regardless of others' conduct!

Hmmmmm.........

I have some mixed feelings here. First I'll state that bad behavior, is bad behavior, and is ugly no matter where the setting is and shouldn't be rewarded no matter what.

Second, winter has typically been a slow season for FW, and I can fully understand Disney changing their policy concerning stays over 14 days during this 'off season'. Certainly it makes sense to rent the site at a discount, then not at all.

Third, I am not entirely sure that the comfort station issue is all that big a deal. If I remember my stays in a tent or RV, the worst locations in a loop may make your walk another 50 feet or so. Maybe I am wrong about the distance, but no matter what, we certainly aren't talking about hundreds of yards. One thing for certain is, if you go to Disney, walking is expected to be a part of the experience.

Fourth, I would certaily sound off in agreement with you if you included in your letter a complaint about the holiday decorations of these snow birds. During our Thanksgiving trip a few weeks ago we did a bike ride through Fort Wilderness, and I was amazed at the gaudiness of many sites filled with these god awful holiday lawn figures and multi-colored flashing lights. MANY, weren't even on their sites, but were on the common grounds near their sites. Talk about ruinning the atmosphere, and magic !!!! UGH !!!!! It made me and my kids want to puke. It almost seemed that these campers were in compitition for the most awful looking trashy site.

Fifth, is another matter all together. The economics of FW are constantly being questioned buy Disney management. Face it, FW is a 'low density' resort. Not many guests per acre compared to the other Disney resorts, hence lower revenue per acre, and NOT an efficient use of land and Disney resources I guess I can't blame the FW manager for doing everything possible to make sure those sites are filled to their max when most of us northeners have stored our campers and tents away for the winter. If FW fails to carry its weight on Disney's bottom line, we may lose it.

Sixth, I am sorry to hear that your experience was so awful that you are selling your camper. Well, that sounds a bit extreme in my mind, but you got to do what you got to do. I know that if I went out and put a lot of cash out for a camper, I wouldn't do it to just go to ONE single location. There's a whole big wonderful world out there waiting to be discovered........and guess what ? Chances are that sooner or later no matter what you do or where you go...... you'll run in to more rude people, someone with a better site than you, or one that is closer to a comfort station than you, or maybe they'll get more attention from an employee than you.

In the over all scheme of things, most of these matters seem trivial. I would suggest that no matter what you chose to do in the future for your vacation activity, consider ignoring that which bothers you and focus on the ulimate goal of "discovery, relaxing, and spending some quality time with our families".

I am surprised at the compasion shown towards Campingqueen or that at post like hers would not be deleted. The way she targets the "snowbirds" with accusations of being cheap, being deceitfull and obnoxious was offensive. And the idea that they get special treatment??? I always thought "snowbirds" to be retired northerners(probably a few retired police officers in the mix). If this is so, giving our elders a little added attention or a camping site closer to the facilities seems proper. Maybe thats the way the Disney people see it, and not that they are "snowbirds" lets give them the royal treatment It seems that many others on this board are still able to enjoy Fort Wilderness even with the "snowbirds". In my opinion, the letter should have been sent to Disney and not posted on this board.

Duckbarn: First, I notice that this is only your 3rd post, so may I be the first to say Welcome to the DIS!! :) :) :)

Second - this board is an open forum where people can share what they believe to be the "good" and "bad" points about Fort Wilderness. Most of the time, the posts are good. But, every now and then, somebody has a bad experience that they feel they would like to share with everyone. They do have the right to do this, as this is well within our posting guidelines.

All we ask is that people here refrain from posting personal attacks against specific members here on our board. It is ok for campingqueen to share her frustration with us, by posting the letter that she sent to management.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to email me. Again, welcome to the DIS Fort Wilderness Board! We look forward to you sharing your own FW experiences with us! :)

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I suppose I am a snowbird because I live in Montana & can only travel in the winter, besides being a retired police officer. But I for one would rather stay away from the comfort stations as I find it a much more quiet visit back in the corner somewhere. We can only stay for 10 days when we come down but I would stay longer if we could. (It's just too hard to find reliable enough hired hands to run the ranch in our absence for that long!) I have never run into any inconsiderate folks while staying there at FW & I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. But there ARE so many more places to see in this country; why are you limiting yourself to just FW? Heck I would love to see as many places in this country as I could, but we can only afford one (financially & timewise, longer than a weekend) trip a year & we choose FW & WDW. I hope you reconsider & continue to enjoy the rest of your trip to the parks, & travel a little further maybe. I know we don't spend a whole lot of time in our camper while we are there, there is just so much more to do!!! I'd suggest you not let just a few rude peeps ruin the magic for you.

:wave:

I apologize for posting again to this thread, but there is something more I'd like to add.

After re-reading the original post's letter, I started to wonder what type of reply it should receive........., and what I would write as a reply. But I can't...... I suddenly realized that what CAMINGQUEEN wrote about was NOT her experience at all, but rather what OTHER peoples experiences were. Somehow I walked away for the re-read with the sense that other peoples (mostly) positive experiences were at her expense, and other peoples negative experiences became her burden and duty to write a letter about.

If other people (snowbird or not) receive a better site, or one closer to a comfort station, who's business is it to complain or whine about it ??? If other people receive good treatment from cast members, should ANYONE complain ????? I thought that is what is expected of a Disney cast member.

If someone received a better price on their stay, is it any of our business ? Is it reason enough to complain, or be envious? I think NOT. In fact I personally think it is every travelers responsibility to get the most, and longest vacation they can for their dollar. May a point out that there are websites soley for getting discount codes for use at WDW (www.mousesavers.com), AAA discounts for FW, Disney Club discounts for stays at FW, AND there were WDW discounts soley for police and firemen !!

If someone else doesn't receive a site close enough to a comfort station, is it reasonable for a non-interested third party to complain ?

I guess what I do find myself in agreement with here, is "yes, there are people at FW, and everywhere for that matter, that are pushy, rude and/or obnoxious. " But I for one, try not to let them ruin my magic.

P.S. I am NOT a snowbird !

First off....
I would like to say thank you to all the people that have been nice and have listen to me. But to those that try to read in between the lines when there isn't anything to read need to stop.

My parents were with me they both are 72 so I am not picking on Sr citizens. They were being treated the same way. Maybe that is why I finally said something.

I am not complaining about walking. I was complaining about my friends with a son that has MS having to walk.

I am not complaining about people coming from the North to Florida. For heavens sake I have lived in Florida my entire life don't you think I am used to it? I love it. That was the only time I got to see my grandmother growing up.

The "snowbirds" I am talking about are a handful. If you go during the time I am talking about you will pick them out. For goodness sakes I love meeting people while in Disney. Isn't that one of the first questions you ask..."where are you from?" My daughter believes if you live in PA the next question is "do you twirl?" (long story but she is an advanced twirler and most all of the BIG competition comes from PA and she admires them so). I love hearing stories about the weather and how they love it here. I tend to forget how beautiful Florida is, the beaches etc.

I am not jealous of these people being able to stay this long either. Like I said we go up all the time and if you add up all our trips we are there just as long just over the entire year. I am upset about the brashness and the way A FEW cast members are acting. And this has gone on for a few years and it wasn't until I spoke with MANY and guests that I decided to write this letter. I was told by a lot of people to write the letter that this was the only way that things would change.

And I am not saying to make them leave just make it more fair for the rest of us.

And yes a Disney is about magic. But not at the expense of others.

And for the "locals" I am sorry if they have been rude. I would love to camp with my dog but we have a popup and am afraid she would chew her way out. And be lost lizard hunting the rest of her life. (besides the fact you can't camp with a dog in a popup or tent).

I would rather this thread die then it turn into a negative attack.

and with that i think I will lock the thread, while i do not believe anyone has been personally attacked i think its time we move on.

I will say though that long term stays should be kept in the same area of the resort, some of the popular sites are taken by long term residents, this is just my personal opinion though
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter