Not rushing through character meals

White_Rabbit18

Mouseketeer
Is it pretty much guaranteed that they will rush you through your character meals and try to get you in and out within the hour.

Flying in from Europe where lunches can be an almost 3 hour experience which I wouldn’t want to do anyway but I would want a nice leisurely lunch and I am not interested in a lighting quick dining experience.

Will it be horrible if I set my expectations with the server that they shouldn’t bring out my next dish until I am done with my previous one or is that not done in the States? I just hate the idea of eating my appetizer and they bring out my main dish and it sits there cold.

Obviously I know this isn’t Michelin dining but the prices pretty much match up with it in some places….

It is a " Tipping Culture " get them in & out as quick as you can .......

take tip then next please

I think 75 mins is reasonable but much more than that and there is a good chance you are holding up guests waiting for your table. Disney ADRs as you know are hard to come by so your table will be needed by another party.

There was one time we arrived on time for our ADR but we waited 45 mins to be seated as guests at all of the 2-top tables were dragging their feet leaving. We lost valuable time and almost missed the fireworks due to being seated so late. It caused us unnecessary stress. We could see the tables and they were leisurely enjoying their coffee.

I’m not sure Disney is the best place if you want leisurely dining unless you book ADRs close to when a restaurant closes.

Is it pretty much guaranteed that they will rush you through your character meals and try to get you in and out within the hour.

Flying in from Europe where lunches can be an almost 3 hour experience which I wouldn’t want to do anyway but I would want a nice leisurely lunch and I am not interested in a lighting quick dining experience.

Will it be horrible if I set my expectations with the server that they shouldn’t bring out my next dish until I am done with my previous one or is that not done in the States? I just hate the idea of eating my appetizer and they bring out my main dish and it sits there cold.

Obviously I know this isn’t Michelin dining but the prices pretty much match up with it in some places….
I really hate when they don’t give me time to enjoy my starter before bringing out the entree. We tell the server we would like our appetizer and drinks then we will decide if we want to order a meal. It forces them to give you more time. If I feel rushed at the end I’ll add desert and coffee even if I wasn’t really planning on it because I really don’t like to be rushed. Sorry did not know this was ONLY about character meals.

Last edited:

I really hate when they don’t give me time to enjoy my starter before bringing out the entree. We tell the server we would like our appetizer and drinks then we will decide if we want to order a meal. It forces them to give you more time. If I feel rushed at the end I’ll add desert and coffee even if I wasn’t really planning on it because I really don’t like to be rushed.
The OP is asking about character meals. Almost off of them are fixed price so there's no deciding about whether you would like to order a meal.

The only character meals that have an app before an entree are Storybook and CRT. You can certainly ask, but I wouldn't expect much especially when your server most likely won't be the person actually delivering your food to your table. If you are doing family-style or buffet meals, this won't be an issue.

Last edited:
When eating at signature, nicer restaurants, we put in beverage and app order, and wait for them to be delivered and partway through before ordering next courses. For character dining, I agree 75 minutes or so is reasonable if you want to linger, and if you want a longer meal, save it for non character.

Just slow your orders down. Drinks, then apps, order your main course, finally order dessert. You can control it

We have never felt rushed at any character meals. As others have mentioned, most are buffet service so you aren't ordering off of a menu and you may choose to return multiple times for salad, entree, desserts.......etc. Many of the people around us seemed in a race to eat to get back to the park (I assume). To each their own and you can choose to enjoy Disney in the way that works for your family.

My experience is that the guests are the ones rushing, not the wait staff. We have always had plenty of time to eat.

The character meals we have done were buffets, with plenty of time.

My experience is that the guests are the ones rushing, not the wait staff. We have always had plenty of time to eat.

The character meals we have done were buffets, with plenty of time.
Yes, we are ones that like to get in and out quickly most of the time and probably typical at WDW where time to play and sleep is at a premium lol.

It never hurts to kindly let your server know what you’d like. They’ll likely appreciate not having to guess whther you’re in a hurry or would like a relaxed meal today.

At Garden Grill our waiter kept asking if we wanted more. I think we saw the characters go by at least 3 times.
Garden grill is great. Never a rush. I also feel that way about Tusker House. In fact Tusker House they insisted we stay for lunch since we always book the last breakfast. Hollywood and Vine for breakfast was also never rushed.

Most Character meals are buffet, so no real problem there. CRT will rush you if that is what you are talking about, so you can try your idea, but you might feel a bit rushed regardless. Honestly, I didn't find their food good or the place relaxing, so not sure I would want to sit around for long.

If you put in your order for your food and appetizers at non buffet restaurants, your food probably will sit around a bit. I would suggest looking at the menu before you are sat and find the appetizers you want. Then like someone else said, but in that with your drink order. Later when they come back, put in your meal order. That way it is spaced a bit. Less risk of your food sitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter