November 2023 W.I.S.H. Thread - Bountiful Blessings

My heart is heavy. I just found out that my friend and colleague for 14 years has terminal brain cancer. This is not a situation where treatment will cure her. It will give her a couple of months to be with her family. She is an extremely physically fit Physical Educator with a big personality...not the kind of person you would ever expect to die young. She is one of the most generous people I know. I am broken hearted.
So sorry to hear this. Sending hugs.

Today I am thankful for connections. Yesterday it was less than an hour after I had written about feeling so behind with Christmas that Miss MustardSeed posted her thoughts on the topic. I am thankful for that connection because it lead me down the path to get back in balance.

I'm not hosting anything for Christmas, so holiday décor is for my pleasure only. I realized I'm measuring myself against the not-real-life images I see on IG and when I really thought it thru what is most important to me is keeping the house neat and tidy so, this weekend I will wrap up all decorating - inside and out.

I also don't want this holiday season to be consumed with shopping. The bigger gifts have either already been purchased or are sitting in my Wishlist, waiting for our extra employee discount to start on Sunday. After that it will just be a few more little things for the stockings.

That leaves the rest of December to focus on crafting, finding and attending community holiday events and spending plenty of time outside, really settling in to Winter.

My heart is heavy. I just found out that my friend and colleague for 14 years has terminal brain cancer. This is not a situation where treatment will cure her. It will give her a couple of months to be with her family. She is an extremely physically fit Physical Educator with a big personality...not the kind of person you would ever expect to die young. She is one of the most generous people I know. I am broken hearted.
I am so sorry. Cancer is the worst. I know how you feel. My Aunt just passed away from cancer in October. I am sending big virtual hugs your way.

I am thankful to live in a city that loves the holidays as much as I do. We have our tree lighting this Saturday with a parade and fireworks after. They also have a ton of stuff for the kids to do that day but mine are too old. Hopefully the weather holds off. We are supposed to get rain on Saturday.

Thankful for the little comforts found in the winter....extra cozy clothing, fun flavored coffees, fresh baked anything...

Thankful for my kids pediatrician. We had to switch after their first one retired and the new one has been wonderful.

Thankful for the glow of Christmas lights around the neighborhood.

Yesterday was a challenging day filled with emotion. As a faculty, we were all in shock. My friend who is seriously ill is beloved by everyone, and we had to be careful not to let the students know what is going on. We were all trying to stay strong and do our jobs while feeling absolutely devastated.

Yet, there were some bright spots in my day yesterday. The majority of my students speak Portuguese or Spanish, and the beginning of the year was very difficult. Some are beginning to speak English and understand me well enough to translate for their classmates who don’t understand anything I say. I use Google translate A LOT. From day one I provided structure and routines that are now paying off. The English speakers and English learners who are comprehending me are carrying those who are not there yet. I have many helpers and peer role models now. They are learning letter sounds and are beginning to blend those sounds into words. Yesterday the vast majority had a breakthrough in blending words which doesn’t normally happen so early in the school year. I cannot tell you what a thrill it was to witness this. My foster Grandmother volunteer started to cry. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

In the midst of darkness there is light and tiny miracles.

Last edited:
It's Friday we made it! What's on your mind?
View attachment 814832
I am not sure I will even make past 6 tonight. Elizabeth and I got into watching Virgin River and we couldn't stop watching when we needed to go to bed, so we stayed up until about 11:30. Then Jeff was snoring really bad last night (he has been a little congested this week but thankfully not sick) so I went to the couch and didn't fall asleep until after midnight. He woke up at 4 so I headed back to the bed but was wide awake until about 5:30. At 6 I started getting a ton of text messages. Nick woke up sick this morning. So I have been up since. About 4 hours of sleep last night. It will going to be a long day. Plus I had to come in the office for a meeting this afternoon. It is a 2.5 hour meeting that I am not looking forward to at all.

Thankfully we really don't have anything gong on this weekend. If the rain will ever stop (it started raining this morning and is forecasted through Tuesday), we will go to the tree lighting on Saturday. Other then that my weekend is free.

Hurrah, it's Friday!

Plans for the weekend... tonight I'll do my household chores and get things looking cute again. Tomorrow early I'm going to make the drive to the neighboring town that has Home Goods, Ulta and Hobby Lobby. I have very specific things I am looking for and will stick to my list. When I get home I'll finish the outdoor lights then go downtown for a late lunch and hang around for the tree lighting at dusk, which should be around 4:30pm-ish.

There will be crafting over the weekend... I signed up for a 12 days of Christmas watercolors challenge and I'm determined to follow thru and actually do it. I also want to make felt house ornaments to add the stocking gifts and I'll plan those out. I ordered some felt which will come later in the week, but I might have enough on hand to get a couple started.

Today I am starting to transition back to KETO/low carb eating. I cleaned out the 'fridge and went shopping yesterday so I'm ready to go.... trying to ease in to it so my body doesn't go in to total shock.

Happy December 1st - today was our Happy New Years Day at work - the first day of our new fiscal year lol!

I always consider this to be the finals of my job. As far as work goes, it's truthfully my favorite part of the job - tying everything together for the year, but I hate that it happens in December/January because I would rather be able to more easily take days off of work. But, overall, it is what it is and I love it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter