Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who may have missed it, as I observed in an earlier post Halloween is now the second largest holiday in the U.S., in terms of consumer spending, surpassed only by Christmas (which now actually has a slower growth rate of spending than Halloween).

Which means the statement "it is only important to a handful of traditionalists" doesn't stand up to factual review. Nor what goes on at Disney:

235344_1443288419.jpg

MNSSHP-2.jpg
Well first, I'm not sure consumer spending = importance. Second, why does what Disney do mean something is important?

Once again, how are kids suffering by not having a Halloween celebration? What harm is being caused?

Has anyone here actually ever met anyone or come face to face with someone who was truly "outraged" over Harry Potter?? Truly? I "heard" there was all this outrage. I read the news that parents were having a fit and yet I have met not one person that had a real issue with it. Not a parent, not a preacher, no one.

I live in the Deep South and am Baptist. We are supposed to be the ones with all the issues on things like Harry Potter and Halloween and yet I have never actually met or heard with my own ears anyone have an issue with either. I just don't think the "HUGE" outrage was really there.
Well some schools still ban the book even nowadays. It was banned in my state back in 2001 but not in the districts near me.

Back in 2000 according to the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom it topped the list of challenged books. They define challenged as a formal written complaint filed with a library or school about a book's content or appropriateness. It had so-called challenges in 1999 with the number growing in 2000 and being the top of the list.

There was a person on the boards recently whose family had religious issues with Harry Potter and they were seeking advice on how to avoid Harry Potter as well as general advice on Harry Potter when going to the Universal parks.

But in person I'd be much less likely to meet someone who had a big issue with Harry Potter simply because of where I live within my state.

It appears you are not an investor. For if you were, you would know that what does and doesn't sell means everything to those with capital.

Including Disney.
You keep changing what you're talking about. Of course money spent is important to investors. I thought we were talking about the general public.

I'm going to ask you one more time. If you refuse to answer, I'll assume you don't have an answer and are just trolling the board. I'll even put the question in a bigger font so it's easier for you to read...

How are kids suffering by not having a Halloween celebration? What harm is being caused?

Consumer spending on decorations, candy, etc. would still count those that are buying these things for "Fall Festivals", "Harvest Celebrations" etc. They don't ask the consumers which are buying specifically for "Halloween".

Do you work in the field of tracking consumer behavior and experience?

I do, and purchases of products and services related to specific holidays are tracked much more discretely than you imply. People do not purchase products or costumes from Spirit Halloween to use at "Fall festivals and Harvest celebrations". Hershey has a keen knowledge of exactly how much their sales rise during mid and late October. The pumpkin producing industry tracks volume down to the county level. And analysts track the specific increase in traffic at theme parks during the fall "fright" season.

So your implying there is no way to evaluate the financial impact of Halloween reflects not being familiar with how that sort of analysis is done.

Do you work in the field of tracking consumer behavior and experience?

I do, and purchases of products and services related to specific holidays are tracked much more discretely than you imply. People do not purchase products or costumes from Spirit Halloween to use at "Fall festivals and Harvest celebrations". Hershey has a keen knowledge of exactly how much their sales rise during mid and late October. The pumpkin producing industry tracks volume down to the county level. And analysts track the specific increase in traffic at theme parks during the fall "fright" season.

So your implying there is no way to evaluate the financial impact of Halloween reflects not being familiar with how that sort of analysis is done.

Uhhhhh. . . yes they do. They may not buy the giant ghost that jumps out of the box but they do buy things there--decorations of pumpkins and "fall" colored items, costumes, etc. Our church members bought costumes for the church's fall festival at Spirit Halloween. Costumes of Moses and Joseph. They also bought princess, prince, knight, and those kinds of costumes. Its not all about scary. I just don't think anyone was at the register asking "is this for Halloween or is this for a Fall celebration" nor do they care.

Festival organizers also buy pumpkins and they buy Hershey Kisses in the fall colors as well as other "Halloween" candy. And they buy all of this in mid to late October.

Has anyone here actually ever met anyone or come face to face with someone who was truly "outraged" over Harry Potter?? Truly? I "heard" there was all this outrage. I read the news that parents were having a fit and yet I have met not one person that had a real issue with it. Not a parent, not a preacher, no one.

I live in the Deep South and am Baptist. We are supposed to be the ones with all the issues on things like Harry Potter and Halloween and yet I have never actually met or heard with my own ears anyone have an issue with either. I just don't think the "HUGE" outrage was really there.

Yes, several. Coworker who ranted about how it was "evil," but who obviously hadn't read it. She was spouting all the random stuff about how the book made fun of God, taught children how to case spells (for real, not make believe), the characters worshipped the devil, etc. I offered to give her a copy so she could see for herself that none of that was true but she insisted she had already read it and didn't want to again.

My father-in-law and younger sister-in-law were the same way. Felt that it glorified witchcraft and devil worship. I know they hadn't read it, reading wasn't their thing.

Yes, several. Coworker who ranted about how it was "evil," but who obviously hadn't read it. She was spouting all the random stuff about how the book made fun of God, taught children how to case spells (for real, not make believe), the characters worshipped the devil, etc. I offered to give her a copy so she could see for herself that none of that was true but she insisted she had already read it and didn't want to again.

My father-in-law and younger sister-in-law were the same way. Felt that it glorified witchcraft and devil worship. I know they hadn't read it, reading wasn't their thing.

Wow. So glad most of the people I know will at least try something or look into it more before rallying against it. The things people will believe about stuff lol!

Our preacher read the first book before he would say anything for or against it as he, of course, had read the same articles and such that I had. So after he read it, he got up on Sunday and said very plainly---its a work of fiction. Its fantasy. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing wrong with this book that isn't wrong with the fairy tales you have been telling your kids for years. Now, let's worry about something a bit more important. And now every so often he will make jokes in the pulpit about the "fear of Harry Potter".

I really wonder why HP? I mean its not like its the first book with magic. Narnia has plenty of magic. Narnia makes an invented world and has magical creatures. I guess there aren't any wands. I mean could that really be it? The wands??? I just really and truly do not get it. Oh, well.

You keep changing what you're talking about. Of course money spent is important to investors. I thought we were talking about the general public.

I'm going to ask you one more time. If you refuse to answer, I'll assume you don't have an answer and are just trolling the board. I'll even put the question in a bigger font so it's easier for you to read...

How are kids suffering by not having a Halloween celebration? What harm is being caused?

No kids are suffering or harmed by not having a Halloween celebration. You tell me how kids are harmed or made to suffer by having a Halloween celebration?

No kids are suffering or harmed by not having a Halloween celebration. You tell me how kids are harmed or made to suffer by having a Halloween celebration?
They're not. I've said before I don't have a problem with schools having Halloween celebrations and I don't have a problem if they don't have Halloween celebrations. The over the top "it's awful", "it doesn't matter what the teacher think", "they need to keep things the same no matter what" is what I have a problem with.

So, since you agree no kids are suffering or harmed by changing the celebration, why is it so important?

They're not. I've said before I don't have a problem with schools having Halloween celebrations and I don't have a problem if they don't have Halloween celebrations. The over the top "it's awful", "it doesn't matter what the teacher think", "they need to keep things the same no matter what" is what I have a problem with.

So, since you agree no kids are suffering or harmed by changing the celebration, why is it so important?

I believe there is a lot more to the story about why they are changing the Halloween celebration and making it a founder of the school day. Changing the date is also a question I have. Who is behind the reason for canceling something that has gone on for years. Those are the questions I have.

I believe there is a lot more to the story about why they are changing the Halloween celebration and making it a founder of the school day. Changing the date is also a question I have. Who is behind the reason for canceling something that has gone on for years. Those are the questions I have.
Well, I'm basing my reaction on the articles posted. One of them said teachers (no, not all) complained to the principal about trying to organize an event that not every student would participate in. Maybe there's a deeper reason, but maybe not. Of course, you're free to do your own research to find out who's trying to change such an "important tradition". If you find something out, I hope you'll post it here.

Many schools did go ahead and incorporate the book. But that didn't mean that there was a ton of outrage across the country about the book.

My child's second grade teacher read it to her class. There were many parents who were up in arms, not only for the content but also for the content with second graders, but she just told them their child could go to the library. (Loved that teacher.) So glad she did because that book changed my child from a book hater to a book lover. We still have a costume parade at our schools.

Well, since it's a book series with an AR level of 5.5-7.2, second grade is a few years early for them to be reading HP. I could see why parents would be questioning the choice for that grade level. Why did the teacher choose to read this book to the class, when it was a few grade levels above the class? Was it a gifted class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter