Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poster I responded to said Halloween is only an event. One that could be moved to another day. I looked it up and saw that going around in disguises and getting something to eat, had to be done on a certain day or the meaning is lost. Then it does become an event. Your last sentence is what I believe is behind getting rid of Hallowe’en in this school. I looked at the School board minutes and found that they are studying racial equality and how the school can make it easier for minorities to do better in school. This school area has less than 25% minorities.

Doesn't the term minority imply small subset(s) that don't belong to the majority?

Well yeah, if you're focused solely on religious minorities, then obviously Christian holidays are not being celebrated.

Most people don't automatically think religion when talking about minority groups - they generally think race.

Obviously as seen on this board. But being a different religion can be seen as a minority and discriminated against. As I believe that the school district was using a broad interpretation of what a minority in the classrooms are.

As a Jewish and Native American person, I don’t celebrate Christmas, Easter, Lent or Ash Wednesday. Didn’t know until I was an adult that most days on the calendar were feast days for Saints. Was discouraged repeatedly from trick or treating on Halloween, if Halloween fell on a day when I had Hebrew school that was after regular school, I went trick or treating after. The teachers at the Hebrew school weren’t happy that we were discussing about going after, and made it known.

You do know that Muslims, Hindu and other religions don’t celebrate the same holidays as Christians. Some religions are considered minorities given where they live.

You do know that there are many minorities in the US that are not Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and many other religions. There are also many Native Americans that would be Christians or at least celebrate Christian Holidays.

Obviously as seen on this board. But being a different religion can be seen as a minority and discriminated against. As I believe that the school district was using a broad interpretation of what a minority in the classrooms are.

That all may be true, but when you toss out a comment such as "most minority students don't celebrate Christian holidays" and don't preface it by saying religious minorities, you're going to get the reaction you got.

As I believe that the school district was using a broad interpretation of what a minority in the classrooms are.
Based on what? I've had to fill out school paperwork for the last 14 years. I know they've asked (optional to answer) race questions (white, african american, hispanic, etc). I don't ever remember a question regarding religion.

And I'm still waiting, you claimed things are being "taken away from all", but won't say what's being taken away. Or will you, like PP, ignore questions that you can't answer?

Based on what? I've had to fill out school paperwork for the last 14 years. I know they've asked (optional to answer) race questions (white, african american, hispanic, etc). I don't ever remember a question regarding religion.
Same here. They ask race, choices from memory are White, African American, Native American, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander. Absolutely nothing about religion.

And I'm still waiting, you claimed things are being "taken away from all", but won't say what's being taken away. Or will you, like PP, ignore questions that you can't answer?

Schools don’t ask about religion, but in a public school there are students of differing religions. They are still a minority.

In years past, that Elementary school had celebrated Halloween with a parade in costumes and parties. That until this year the teachers and most students were having fun. Because of the few who don’t celebrate Halloween, it has been canceled. The school goes from pre-K to 5th grade. So, students who were looking forward to a fun day, those who remember from the previous year, has it taken away so that the school can say that they are inclusive.

Schools don’t ask about religion, but in a public school there are students of differing religions. They are still a minority.
You can assume that, but it's still an assumption. You don't use an assumption to throw out a fact like "25% of students are members of a minority."

In years past, that Elementary school had celebrated Halloween with a parade in costumes and parties. That until this year the teachers and most students were having fun. Because of the few who don’t celebrate Halloween, it has been canceled. The school goes from pre-K to 5th grade. So, students who were looking forward to a fun day, those who remember from the previous year, has it taken away so that the school can say that they are inclusive.
Aren't they still having a party? Are they not still having fun?

Why did I have to preface my words? We are talking about a Christian holiday. Jews, Muslims, Hindus and others are not Christian. Obviously we are discussing religion, nothing else. The objection to Halloween must be because of its religious origins or it wouldn’t be a problem.

You make a lot of assumptions.

You can assume that, but it's still an assumption. You don't use an assumption to throw out a fact like "25% of students are members of a minority."

I took that figure from the school district of Needham, MA. I looked up the School Board agendas that includes the school that we are talking about, so I didn’t make an assumption. Besides, I said it was under 25%.

Why did I have to preface my words? We are talking about a Christian holiday. Jews, Muslims, Hindus and others are not Christian. Obviously we are discussing religion, nothing else. The objection to Halloween must be because of its religious origins or it wouldn’t be a problem.

How many people acually think of Halloween as a Christian holiday? Please don't give me the origins of Halloween. That's not my question.

Plus, like it's already been pointed out a number of times. Many strict Christians do not participate in Halloween. The only neighbor on my block that does not hand out candy on Halloween is a very religious Christian family.

Last edited:
I took that figure from the school district of Needham, MA. I looked up the School Board agendas that includes the school that we are talking about, so I didn’t make an assumption. Besides, I said it was under 25%.
It said 25% were minorities or 25% weren't Christian?

Here's what you said...
This school area has less than 25% minorities.
Which really has nothing to do with Halloween, so we questioned you and go this...

Since most minority students don’t celebrate Christian holidays, in order to be inclusive of all they take away from all.
You then claim "minorities" includes religious minorities. You used "there are multiple religions in a school", which, while probably true, you can't use to get to 25% (ok, LESS than 25%).

Wait, WHAT? Halloween is a Christian holiday?

Wrong, it has been replaced with something else, that may be equally as fun. They are also having a Halloween party after school hours so the kids who want to dress up in their costumes and celebrate are welcome to go to that.

But I know it's not fair to those kids who look forward to it every year right? Screw the kids who have never had a chance to have a fun day on Halloween. Why should the school try to make a fun day for everyone, shame on them right? Those darn 5 to 10 year olds wanting to have fun with their classmates, what nerve of them, right?

And newsflash it isn't about "saying" they are all inclusive, it is about BEING all inclusive. Because that is the right thing to do.

Wrong, it has been replaced with something else, that may be equally as fun. They are also having a Halloween party after school hours so the kids who want to dress up in their costumes and celebrate are welcome to go to that.

But I know it's not fair to those kids who look forward to it every year right? Screw the kids who have never had a chance to have a fun day on Halloween. Why should the school try to make a fun day for everyone, shame on them right? Those darn 5 to 10 year olds wanting to have fun with their classmates, what nerve of them, right?

And newsflash it isn't about "saying" they are all inclusive, it is about BEING all inclusive. Because that is the right thing to do.

Right, they are replacing it with founders day, honoring the namesake of the school which no one knows who he was. The date they are having it is in November. That “being inclusive” thing, it always ends up with at least a few who are excluded.

You keep insisting that Halloween is a Christian Holiday. People don't celebrate a Christian Halloween in the US. Repeating the lie over amd over does not make it true.

I've lurked through this entire thread, but now I'm just confused by Halloween being a Christian holiday??? Since when??
When I think of Christian holidays or holy days, I think of Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Pentecost, Christmas and seasons like Advent and Lent.

Right, they are replacing it with founders day, honoring the namesake of the school which no one knows who he was. The date they are having it is in November. That “being inclusive” thing, it always ends up with at least a few who are excluded.
The residents of Needham, and all current and former Mitchell Elementary School students are "no one?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter