Oahu July 6th - 13th at Ko Olina Beach Villas

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
While not strictly an Aulani review, I just got back from a 7-day Oahu Hawaiian adventure having stayed at the Ko Olina Beach Villas just down from Aulani and thought I would share my experience and thoughts.

The travel group was my family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young adults, a young adult friend of my daughter, and my 3 neighbors consisting of 2 adults and their middle school aged son.

We flew American from Atlanta through Dallas. On the way out my family was in Premium economy and everyone else was in regular economy. Because of Covid Premium economy is not getting food or drinks on board but we still did enjoy the larger seat. Seating was 2-4-2 on the 777-300 in Premium economy versus 3-4-3 in regular economy. The four of us arrived fine after the 8-hour leg but those in economy reported it was cramped.

IMG_1794.png

IMG_1796.png

We rented a car through Turo, a 2018 Honda Odyssey. This was our second time using Turo, having used it earlier this year for a last-minute trip to Alaska. Pickup was easy, we were messaged the location of the car in the parking deck, where the lock box with the key was hidden, and the code for the lock box. Took the required pictures and we were off.

Because the baggage took FOREVER to arrive, we got to drive in rush hour. It took a little over 55 minutes from the Airport to the resort. Despite all the bags being tagged priority, one of the bags was one of the last onto the conveyer.

Our room was a 3 bedroom on the fourth floor of the Ocean tower. The Ocean tower is the one in the back while the Beach tower is the one in the front. Our view was overlooking the quiet pool with a view of the ocean across the undeveloped lot between the Beach Villas and the Marriott.

IMG_1809.png

Once we figured out who was sleeping where we all headed down to the pool/beach. The villa had an owner’s closet that was unlocked that was FULL of beach stuff. 12 different beach chairs, coolers, umbrellas, beach toys, golf balls, boogie boards, snorkel gear, etc. It really saved us money getting to use the equipment in the closet. In trips past, staying at Aulani, we have had to buy and leave much of the same stuff.

IMG_1813.png

The first full day was 8:00am tickets to Pearl Harbor Memorial. A quick stop at the ABC Island Market and Starbucks and we were off.

IMG_1818.png

We got the 8:00am tickets because I knew from past visits that parking is difficult later in the day. Parking was an issue everywhere this trip. In the past we have always come in early April and found parking less than ideal, but this was much worse. Not sure if that is just the difference between April and July or if things are more crowded with Covid. We got to Pearl Harbor at about 7:10am and got one of the last spots in the closest lot. We spent about 40 minutes looking around in the museum and at the grounds before checking in for our 8:00am ride at 7:50. There was a huge line of people waiting for day of tickets for the boat ride to the Arizona Memorial, several hundred people.

IMG_1827.png

They are not showing the movie in the theater due to Covid. Instead, the movie is being shown outside back by the bag check every half hour or so. Masks were required on the boat, yet the Navy personnel were not wearing masks, who knows.

IMG_1828.png

IMG_1837.png

IMG_1841.png

After visiting the memorial, we headed to the Makapu’u Point Lighthouse. When we arrived, there was no parking to be found in the parking lot. We ended up parking off the road and adding a ½ to ¾ mile to the hike. This hike felt much longer than advertised. It was nicely paved but was a constant uphill climb. We all enjoyed the view.

IMG_1847.png

IMG_1849.png

IMG_1860.png

We stopped at a Zippy’s in Kailua for dinner. Hawaii is about 12-15 months behind on their opening compared to Georgia. Zippy’s was seating 2 parties in the entire restaurant. We all had to have our temperature taken, sanitize, digital only menus, and wear our masks until the food arrived. We also had to provide contact info for contact tracing if needed. Luckily, we were party number 2, so we only had a 20-minute wait while they washed the booths, plexiglass, and tables down with sanitizer, twice, before seating us in two tables across from each other. While waiting for the food I watched them clean each table at least twice, tables no one had been seated at during our visit. I also witnessed them turn away group after group since it would be and hour plus before they could seat another group. I am not sure why they were even open.

IMG_1862.png

Then it was back to the resort and the hot tub. That is how we ended most days. The pools and hot tubs stayed open until 9pm which was nice compared to the 6pm pool closing signs I saw at Aulani this trip.

The next day was a 100% resort day. We did nothing but go from pool to beach to pool and back again. That night we ate at Monkey Pod. Monkey Pod was seating 100% of their tables. No temperature check, no contact tracing, still 100% digital menus, and a request to wear masks from the hostess stand to the table but you were free to remove them immediately once seated. About 9 months further along than Zippy’s.

The next day was surf lessons. I can’t remember which company was booked as I did not do the booking. My wife and I decided this time we would just watch as the other six in the group did the lessons. Everyone looked so majestic on the beach. Quickly everyone had ridden a wave and was having a great time. We watched and took pictures/video from the beach.

IMG_1936.png

IMG_2018.png

The next stop was Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck. There are lots of places to eat around Giovanni’s but very little parking. Traffic was crazy but I lucked out and got a spot just down from Giovanni’s where there were a few more food trucks. The Giovanni’s lot was full despite the fact they charged to park. Everyone found somewhere to eat and was done before the two in line for Giovanni’s had even managed to order. It took just shy of 2 hours from getting in line to getting their food.

The next stop was Waimea Bay. Talk about a parking challenge. I dropped everyone off and circled not only the lot but also parts of 83. On my second trip back into the lot I witnessed a bit of road rage. A car that was waiting in the lot saw someone behind him was leaving so he backed up to get the stop. The car in front of me had decided that was their spot and the wife got out of the car and stood in front of the other car so they could not pull into the space once the other car backed out. The guy waiting for the spot was not intimidated by the woman and kept pulling forward until he bumped her with his car. She really got pissed at that point and started screaming and yelling. At that point her husband got out of the car and forced her back into their car and they quickly left. I ended up finding a spot after about 30 minutes up the hill on 83/Kamehameha Hwy. There was a path in the woods on the other side of the guard rail that quickly took me to the beach. Turned out to be a great spot.

Waimea Bay was calmer than I have ever seen. It was almost like a lake. Nothing like when we have come in April where the waves were big and powerful.

Great fun was had. Lots of jumping from the rock despite the sign saying it was closed due to Covid.

IMG_2036.png

On the way back the turtles were out so we stopped to peek and then to the hot tub.

Last edited:
The next day was a kayak adventure. We rented four two person kayaks from Kailua Beach Adventures. After dragging our kayaks from the rental place to the beach we launched and headed towards Popoia Island/Flat Island. It was much harder than any of us expected. It took about 20 minutes from beach to Popoia Island. There were lots of crabs and birds. We looked around for a while and then launched towards Lanikai Beach. It took about 30 minutes to make it to the beach and again we stopped and explored/swam/snorkeled. The final destination was supposed to be Moku Nui, another island that was probably 45 minutes of paddling at our skill level. None of us felt up to the challenge so we stayed at Lanikai for a long while. Eventually we paddled back to Kailua Beach Park and started the process of dragging the kayaks back to the rental location. Everyone was exhausted!

IMG_2047.png

IMG_2050.png

IMG_2054.png

IMG_2065.png

The next day was a Waikiki day. We found a parking spot in a parking deck near the International Market place with relative ease. We ate Brunch at Hula Grill and then hung out on the beach for a few hours. We left and went to the Halona Blowhole.

There was a policeman there making sure everyone got a chance to get parking. Again, I let everyone out of the car and about 20 minutes later a spot opened up. We watched the blowhole for a bit before walking down to Cockroach Cove a.k.a Halona Beach Cove a.k.a. the From Here to Eternity Beach. The rip tide is strong here and it was much more crowded than our visits in April.

IMG_2073.png

IMG_2076.png

We then headed back to Waikiki for dinner and split up. My group went to Cuckoo Coconuts Tiki Bar because they wanted a drink from a pineapple. Seating here was again 100%, the sign said they would collect contact info, but we were never asked, and masks were optional. The food was typical bar food and hit the spot after a long day.

IMG_2080.png

Last edited:
Our final full day was spent climbing the Koko Head Stairs. This was my families second time and everyone else’s first. The stairs are intense. There are over 1000 “steps” to the top. It is an old railway that has fallen into extreme disrepair. There is a nonprofit group working towards restoring the stairs for future climbers. They have made it to around step 750 with the restoration. Adding back missing railroad ties and filling in the spaces between ties with gravel. The first 750 steps were much better than 4 years ago but still very difficult. The views from the top are the reward but you still have to make it down uninjured. We all made it safe.

IMG_2085.png

IMG_2110.png

IMG_2166.png

That night we went to the Paradise Cove Luau. We all had a great time before heading back to the hottub!

IMG_2183.png

The final day was a bonus. Checkout time is 10am but I had emailed the owner the night before. He did not have anyone coming in the next day and granted us a 5pm checkout. We got another resort day before heading to the airport for our 5:40pm flight.

The Honolulu Airport is still basically closed. There are very few food places open, and no tables you are allowed to use to eat the food you can get. It reminded me of the Atlanta airport back in July 2020 when we flew to Orlando.

The trip home was in business class for my family and premium economy for everyone else. Getting to lay fully flat for the 8-hour trip to Dallas was great. We all slept for about 5 hours. Those in premium economy said they were so much more comfortable for the trip home and managed a couple hours of sleep.

Despite our bags being tagged priority, only 6 of them made it onto the correct Dallas to Atlanta flight. The seventh bag came on the next flight. We ended up having to wait an extra hour in baggage claim for that flight to land. Not a great end to the trip.

Hope this helps those planning trips soon.

Don’t count on Hawaii being as open as back home. Their opening has been very slow and cautious. Dining reservations were not completely necessary but would have made some days easier. We often tried to go one place to find out it was only take-out or could not accommodate us until 9pm.

Breakfast and Lunch were much easier.

Last edited:
We got the 8:00am tickets because I knew from past visits that parking is difficult later in the day. Parking was an issue everywhere this trip. In the past we have always come in early April and found parking less than ideal, but this was much worse. Not sure if that is just the difference between April and July or if things are more crowded with Covid. We got to Pearl Harbor at about 7:10am and got one of the last spots in the closest lot. We spent about 40 minutes looking around in the museum and at the grounds before checking in for our 8:00am ride at 7:50. There was a huge line of people waiting for day of tickets for the boat ride to the Arizona Memorial, several hundred people.

Do you mind telling me what day of the week you went to Pearl Harbor and what time you left your resort? Just trying to get a sense of timing as we plan to do the same thing about 8am tickets. Thanks

Do you mind telling me what day of the week you went to Pearl Harbor and what time you left your resort? Just trying to get a sense of timing as we plan to do the same thing about 8am tickets. Thanks
It was Wednesday.

I think we pulled out of the ABC Island Market at just before 6:30 and were taking pictures in the parking lot at the Arizona Memorial at 7:06am. The tickets said to get there an hour early. Unless you wanted to look around before your tour that was not necessary.

We did it our first full day on the island and everyone was still mostly on Eastern time. Everyone was up by 5am, most having struggled to stay in bed that long.

It was Wednesday.

I think we pulled out of the ABC Island Market at just before 6:30 and were taking pictures in the parking lot at the Arizona Memorial at 7:06am. The tickets said to get there an hour early. Unless you wanted to look around before your tour that was not necessary.

We did it our first full day on the island and everyone was still mostly on Eastern time. Everyone was up by 5am, most having struggled to stay in bed that long.
great thx very helpful

Would you be willing to share which seating option you had at Paradise Cove (Hawaiian, Orchid, Deluxe)? I'm looking into that luau but not sure what the visibility is like from each of the three seating areas.

Would you be willing to share which seating option you had at Paradise Cove (Hawaiian, Orchid, Deluxe)? I'm looking into that luau but not sure what the visibility is like from each of the three seating areas.
Hawaiian. We were about as far as you could be from the stage and the view was still fine. We were seated on the right side at the very end of the middle row of tables.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 2.26.10 PM.png

Great trip report. Thanks for all the information! We're planning a trip to Aulani in January and I'm planning on borrowing some of your activity ideas!

Thanks for your review! We’ve considered trying out the beach villas a few times but didn’t want to take the gamble. Sounds like a good option!

Hawaiian. We were about as far as you could be from the stage and the view was still fine. We were seated on the right side at the very end of the middle row of tables.

View attachment 596458
Not that you asked me, but….we had the red table right to the left of the center stage, and the view was faaaabulous. And we were served our food and brought seconds of anything we needed. Plus with the included photos and drinks, I really felt like it was worth the cost.

Our final full day was spent climbing the Koko Head Stairs. This was my families second time and everyone else’s first. The stairs are intense. There are over 1000 “steps” to the top. It is an old railway that has fallen into extreme disrepair. There is a nonprofit group working towards restoring the stairs for future climbers. They have made it to around step 750 with the restoration. Adding back missing railroad ties and filling in the spaces between ties with gravel. The first 750 steps were much better than 4 years ago but still very difficult. The views from the top are the reward but you still have to make it down uninjured. We all made it safe.

View attachment 589603

View attachment 589604

View attachment 589605

That night we went to the Paradise Cove Luau. We all had a great time before heading back to the hottub!

View attachment 589606
Well y’all are officially rock stars in my book!! I took one look at those “stairs” and said no way!! (How the heck DO you get down??!?) You got some great pics; looks like a fabulous trip. Can’t wait until we’re back there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter