Observations of a split COVID stay.

Epcotbound

Earning My Ears
My family and I just returned from a split stay to make up for cancelled Xmas trip. We were there 3/9-3/18 staying at the Boardwalk and Bay Lake Tower.
Boardwalk was busier than I thought it would be based on what I had read but with spring break happening there were more people than I expected. The damage from the water leak was very obvious as we were on the third floor and walked above the damage every day. They were making quick work of it though. We stayed in a 1-bedroom both places. We had Boardwalk view and Magic Kingdom view at Bay Lake. The rooms were cleaner than some past visits we have had which made me feel more comfortable. The staff were amazing as usual but these layoffs definitely cut into the magic. There just aren’t enough of them around to handle everything and it’s not their fault. Rooms were not set up for sleeping four. Not enough pillows or blankets for 4 at either resort room nor were their enough towels. Only 3 towels in both places and our reservation was four. Cast members fixed issues quickly and efficiently as always but shouldn’t have needed to. Makes me wonder if it’s a new Disney rule as it happened in both resorts. Food choices are a major issue at Boardwalk. Thankfully Big River opened a few days prior to our arrival, otherwise the only choices are the couple of sandwiches at the bakery or Trattoria. I can tell you that for the time we were there there were no walk up reservations to be had. We had left a few days open to be spontaneous and it was a mistake at the Boardwalk. Be prepared to walk to the Swan and Dolphin for quick service options because there are none to be had at Epcot DVC resorts. Bay Lake was no issue as you could go to Contempo, hop the monorail and hit Poly or Grand for non table service. We also took Skyliner to Riviera to check it out and had lunch at Primo Piatto which was very good. Not my favorite resort aesthetically but the art work inside is awesome. New Boardwalk pool slide is better looking than I thought compared to pictures. Boat service to and from the parks and Boardwalk were fantastic, entrance into the parks super easy. The one huge downside to this trip was the buses. We only used the buses three times, twice to Disney Springs and to the Animal Kingdom. There is a new seating system, I get it, I support it, but unless half of the laid off employees were bus drivers the amount of available buses was ridiculous. One, nobody seems to know the route times to Disney Springs. I can tell you that DS buses do not run an hour prior to opening. We waited from 9-10:15 before the first bus came for DS. There were so many people that were waiting and several jumped the line that a verbal fight broke out between guests about who was there first. Fun times. Asked the bus driver to call for another bus from where I was sitting behind her while this was going down and was told they couldn’t do that anymore. At AK a single bus was running from Contemporary and there was more than three buses of people in line. Guests started to call the resort and customer service after the driver said the same thing about calling another bus in. We waited a while, much longer than I ever have before so save extra time to get where you want to go, because transportation is lackluster in the bus department. The Epcot boats were better than ever, the Cast members were engaging and old school Disney. Great experience with them. Best transportation had to be the skyliner because it’s automated, cast members directing traffic but you get on and off quickly and easily.
So let’s address the elephant in the room. Masks. I’ve seen the battles taking place and frankly I am tired of them. To paraphrase the words of Mr Pete Werner, wear your damn mask. Disney made a rule. Period. Don’t like it, don’t go. Now I will say that over 90% wore their masks with no issues or complaint another 5 tugged em up when they were told, the other 5% are the same people who smoke in the Space Mountain queue. That said most everyone was awesome. We had a great time and really enjoyed our stay and would do it again In a blink.
now some quick hits:
Lines- they are long, really long in the hot sun with little to no shade. Be prepared
Food- make your reservations @60 days or you won’t get one as there is little to no walk up table service availability and mobile ordering takes longer than you think it will so plan accordingly set it up in queues when waiting for a ride choose your pickup time window then place the I’m here while you are walking to the quick service counter. If you don’t know how to do it their are instructions everywhere online.
Transportation- It will take you longer to get to a park and home from a park than you are used to, especially if using a bus.
Cast Members- be kind, be understanding, be patient. They are doing the best they can with a whole lot less help. They still bring the magic, we had several interactions where cast members were old school Disney and oh my goodness was it amazing. Special shout out to Beaches and Cream, you made our night!!

Thank you so much for your helpful observations. My husband and I are going in May so I will definitely use your suggestions!

now some quick hits:
Lines- they are long, really long in the hot sun with little to no shade. Be prepared
Food- make your reservations @60 days or you won’t get one as there is little to no walk up table service availability and mobile ordering takes longer than you think it will so plan accordingly

Bad news
More Bad news

Tell me again how the parks are limited in attendance

Thank you for your write up. I am getting myself prepared/psyched for our upcoming trip and you packed in a lot of useful information.

Great write-up. We were there 3/20 - 3/27 at BCV and would concur with your points, especially about buses and CMs. Buses were bad, but CMs were awesome. We ate at Big River twice because of the lack of QS at BCV or BWV. But, both times were enjoyable and we will be back.

Thanks for the write up!

I'm surprised about the towel situation. I stayed at Caribbean Beach on my own and had 6 towels.

So let’s address the elephant in the room. Masks. I’ve seen the battles taking place and frankly I am tired of them. To paraphrase the words of Mr Pete Werner, wear your damn mask. Disney made a rule. Period. Don’t like it, don’t go.
THANK YOU!! We just got back from a 1 week stay at BCV. We only saw two "confrontations" all week between CMs and patrons refusing to wear a mask. The worst one was at DS where a guest verbally yelled at a CM who asked them politely to wear their mask. The guest said something like "it's been a year and I am not wearing a mask!". Yeah, no kidding. It's been a year FOR ALL OF US, yet the rest of us can follow the rules and wear a mask. The guest eventually put the mask on after threat of being removed from DS. I made sure to praise the CM that had to deal with that issue. It's really, really simple: if you can't follow the rules for entry then don't go. No one is forcing anyone to go to WDW. If you decide to go, then follow the rules.

One more thing. Parents, can you please watch your kids? In normal times I wouldn't care, but when we are in a queue and kids come running through other groups because the parents are oblivious it kind of kills the spacing by which we are all trying to abide. Then the parents have to go coral the kids, and to do that they have to go trudging right through 3 or 4 groups. Then 10 minutes later those same parents faces are buried in their phones and the same kids go running through the line again. It happened quite a bit throughout our week stay. Not a hard concept, just watch your kids because it's really hard for them to abide by the social spacing (they are kids, after all) and they need their parents to help remind them.

Great write-up. We were there 3/20 - 3/27 at BCV and would concur with your points, especially about buses and CMs. Buses were bad, but CMs were awesome. We ate at Big River twice because of the lack of QS at BCV or BWV. But, both times were enjoyable and we will be back.
That's so weird. We just stayed at BCV for a week (got back Saturday) and I thought the bus service was awesome. Granted, a few times we had really good luck by walking up to the BCV bus stop with our bus either already being there or in the act of pulling up. But still, we really didn't have any long waits. It just goes to show how different an experience can be from person to person :)

That's so weird. We just stayed at BCV for a week (got back Saturday) and I thought the bus service was awesome. Granted, a few times we had really good luck by walking up to the BCV bus stop with our bus either already being there or in the act of pulling up. But still, we really didn't have any long waits. It just goes to show how different an experience can be from person to person :)

We watched no less than 3 RIV buses come and go with nobody waiting while there were at least 3 bus loads (with spacing requirements) waiting for the BCV bus once at MK. We ended up taking a BWV bus and just walking over to BCV at least twice. The BC buses buses also share with YC so just more people in general. The buses to Disney Springs were even worse. I am normally a 'go with the flow' type, but the bus scheduling this trip was overwhelmingly dislocated. We did have good bus karma a couple of times too, but that was not the norm for this trip. I hope as things pick back up the bus situation will improve again. I am hopeful.

Thanks so much! On your switch over day, did Disney transfer your luggage? If so, how did that go?

We watched no less than 3 RIV buses come and go with nobody waiting while there were at least 3 bus loads (with spacing requirements) waiting for the BCV bus once at MK. We ended up taking a BWV bus and just walking over to BCV at least twice. The BC buses buses also share with YC so just more people in general. The buses to Disney Springs were even worse. I am normally a 'go with the flow' type, but the bus scheduling this trip was overwhelmingly dislocated. We did have good bus karma a couple of times too, but that was not the norm for this trip. I hope as things pick back up the bus situation will improve again. I am hopeful.
Again, so crazy that people can have such a different experience. We were at BCV over Easter week, which is typically one of the busiest times of the year. I was fully prepared to use Uber on a consistent basis, but I never had to because we were so happy with the buses and water taxis. On a couple of occasions we just missed the bus, but we didn't have to wait very long until the next one. On one occasion we got into a longer line and weren't able to board the bus that arrived around 3-4 minutes later because it filled up, but another one arrived within 10 minutes. And there was never more than 4 guest from YC (it stops at YC just before BC) on the bus when it arrived at BCV. I was surprised things were going so smoothly considering what I had read on a few sites. I guess we were extremely lucky...maybe I should have played Lotto while I was there! Here's to hoping the bus system gets even better so that everyone has the same experience my family did. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter