Oceanside,California

Jager_mom

Mouseketeer
Has anybody been there?

My mil has timeshares through worldmark and we will be staying there and driving back and forth from there and Dl for 2 days and then also to the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld.

I was just wondering how the beaches are, and good restaurants?

Thanks in advance

Oceanside is the northernmost of the string of seaside villages as you head up from San Diego -- just north of Oceanside is the Pendelton military base, which spreads all the way up the coast to Capistrano and Orange County.

It's a military oriented town, which makes it slightly less touristy than the other beach towns as you head south, It's a nice place -- there's a boardwalk/pier there that's pretty neat. The beach is pretty tranquil; tends to be less of a surfer presence than the big-wave beaches heading south. I don't think it's quite as quaint as the beach towns as you head south, like Del Mar and Carlsbad, but I understand the worldmark is very good and most of the units have ocean views. There are a smattering of restaurants along the pacific coast highway, and if you don't like what's there, Carlsbad Village, which has a bunch more, is just a 5 minute drive.

My husband and I spent an afternoon there two years ago and it was very nice. The beach was nice and not nearly as crowded as the ones further south. It wasn't nearly as hoity toity as Del Mar which I love but always feel like poor white trash when we go there!

Having visited Carlsbad almost every summer as my grandparents had a house and a restaurant there, we always went to Oceanside for some shopping or the beaches. Back then(in the 60's and 70's), they seemed to be almost one town, so we spent alot of time going back and forth.
From what I remember, there's a nice pier. Also, you may want to consider taking the Coaster down to SD. It's a commuter train that runs along (what else!) the coast. There's a station in Oceanside, altho I'm not sure where. It may save you the gas and hassle of driving.

Jager_mom said:
Has anybody been there?

My mil has timeshares through worldmark and we will be staying there and driving back and forth from there and Dl for 2 days and then also to the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld.

I was just wondering how the beaches are, and good restaurants?

Thanks in advance
After our Aug 1-4 DLR trip we drove down to Oceanside for a week to stay at a condo we rented. We were there Aug 6-13.

The beaches in Oceanside are pretty good. We have gone to the beach both south and north of the Oceanside Pier. This year we were about a mile north, near the harbor. The water at SoCal beaches is typically pretty cold. In July and August it is tolerable, but outside those two months be prepared for the water to be chilly. Hope you are going soon before the water gets too cold.

My DW and I met in San Diego, and lived there for a number of years. Our favorite Mexican food restaurant is Tio Leos (see http://www.tioleos.com ). The one in Del Mar is right of Interstate 5 at the Carmel Valley Rd exit about 15 minutes from Oceanside. At the Oceanside Harbor there is a Joe's Crab Shack. We usually eat in while we are there, and are not too familiar with the local restaurants.

If you want to drive to DL, SW and the SD Zoo from Oceanside, be prepared to sit in traffic a lot and leave very early. If you are lucky you can get to DL in an hour, but it might take two or more. SW and the SD Zoo will both take one hour minimum, and more if you go in the morning when all the traffic is heading down to SD along I-5.

When you go to SW or the zoo, there are some good restaurants in nearby Old Town San Diego (http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=663 ). It has been 14 years since I lived there, but Casa de Bandini was pretty good, had outside seating, and the mariachis were fun. The Charthouse steakhouse in La Jolla has real good food, and is on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

What type of food do you like? If you like 50's style cooking, Ruby's at the end of the pier is a fun place. Try to get a table next to the window during sunset for an incredible view. Ruby's Diner

As far as beaches, the best waves are next to the pier. They hold surf and bodyboard competitions throughout the year.

You can get to Disneyland in an hour if you don't travel during morning rush hour and leave late at night. Sea World should take about 45 minutes and the Zoo about an hour, again if not travelling during peak travel.

Unfortunately, Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town has been shut down and Casa de Bandini is being relocated to Seaport Village.

I agree the view from Ruby's is AWESOME!!

It is a little bit of a drive especially to DL from there, but very doable. (We were in Vista on a job for 2 months in the late 90's)

The beach is nice, and wasn't really crowded when we were there.

Look up San Marcos, it's a short drive and there were quite a few nice places to eat there (by the Edwards 18 Cinema I think).

Tink33 said:
Unfortunately, Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town has been shut down and Casa de Bandini is being relocated to Seaport Village.
Bummer. :sad1:

Actually, another company came in and redesigned the Bazaar Del Mundo area, with mostly different tenants. We were there early June, just before the reopening of that area, so I'm not sure exactly what shops, restaurants, etc are in there now, but was told, it would be something similar to the old Bazaar.

I've lived in that area for the past 30 something years. You should enjoy your short visit. Maybe all the San Diego Dis'ers can meet at Ruby's at the Pier, or the Charthouse at the Harbor to say hi. I enjoy taking the train up to Disneyland. Catch Amtrack Pacific Coastliner to Anaheim Station and then take a cab to the parks. It's a little more expensive than parking (Which is $10 now), but the train ride up and back can be a lot of fun especially for kids. Just check the return schedules, I'm not sure how late the trains run.

The drive to Disneyland is not bad at all. It can take anywhere from 45 min to a little over an hour. The freeways are very well marked, and if you are in the carpool lane, there is a special carpool lane exit for Disney Way. You don't even have to worry about moving over to get off the freeway.

have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter