October 2015 PTR: a “Halloweenie” and her Fearless Companion conquer their first HHN!

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Life is short. Live it well.
Hey everyone :wave2: ,

With under 90 days to go until our next adventure, I thought it might be a good time to start another pre-trip report. Virtually all the aspects of this upcoming vacation are planned and ready (though always, always subject to last minute modifications ::yes:: ), so these reports are a fun way for me to pass the time with others who share our love of Central Florida. Most of my friends think I’m a little nutty for my travel addiction (which isn’t exactly far off the mark :rolleyes1), and as much as they try, they generally don’t “get” my enthusiasm for Orlando the same way the good folks on the Dis do. So to all who choose to read along, thanks for not thinking me totally weird. Partly, yes…..but not completely! :)

We have been extremely blessed to have not one, not two, but THREE trips “down south” on the calendar for 2015……something that has only happened once before, in 2012.

This was us, on our very first trip ever to Universal Orlando, in January 2012 in honour of Jake’s 16th birthday:

We returned in August 2012, to sweat our buns off in the sweltering summer temperatures. While we were there, we snagged an awesome Groupon deal for a family photo session at Studio One to One (at the time, they were located in the Florida Mall) and got some lovely pics:

And we ended the year by celebrating Christmas in the sun :santa:, with a SeaWorld parks trip:

This year, our spring vacation spanned April 30th to May 9th and was in celebration of our 22nd wedding anniversary (if you missed it, feel free to read about it here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/love-is-%E2%80%9Cuniversal%E2%80%9D-our-awesome-anniversary-adventures-in-orlando-may-2015-tr.3409180/ ). It was our first time travelling to Orlando in the spring. It was also our first trip alone as a couple since our honeymoon, and much as we missed that awesome young man of ours……we had a spectacular time together. A no-kids trip (even when your kids are all grown up) is a whole different experience from family getaways.

October will be our second pilgrimage to Orlando of the year, and a couples trip once again. It will also be the first time we have visited Florida during the month of October, so while we are mildly concerned about the weather (always a worry when testing out a new time of year!), we are excited to see all the Halloween decorations and experience Orlando in the fall. We depart on Friday, October 9th for Buffalo, New York and fly out on Saturday, October 10th (returning home on Saturday, October 17th). It will be somewhat of a repeat of our May getaway, as we will primarily focus on the Universal parks once again.

Our boy, Jake, has opted to stay home again this round: his Sweetie celebrates her birthday during our vacation, and they have plans with her family to mark the occasion. He will be in his final year of college by then, and our vacation week is also his reading week. As always, the offer was extended to him to come along, but alas…..he’s reached the stage where his first priority is his beloved while Mom & Dad are a close second. All part of the natural transition to adulthood, and I am totally okay with that.

Our final trip of 2015 will a big family holiday in lieu of a traditional Christmas. We leave home on December 18th and spend the night in Buffalo, we will be in Orlando from December 19th to December 26th inclusive, then spend one night in Niagara Falls before returning home on December 27th. Jake is coming along, Sweetie will also be joining us, and my brother and his girlfriend will be in Tampa the same week (so we’ll spend some time together over the holidays with them, too). Since that trip comes so soon after our October getaway, there might be a few tidbits of that planning tossed into this report as it unfolds. One of the perils of planning more than one trip at a time.

Hopefully this won’t make me sound TOO off my rocker, but it might be worth adding that our first 2016 vacation is also now in the planning stages. Thanks to Jetblue’s schedule release last week, we’re booked from April 24th to May 3rd to squeeze in one last trip before our Universal AP’s expire on May 1st. That had been the long-term plan anyway (in an effort to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the vacation budget), so when fares were such a great price (again, from Buffalo) it made no sense not to at least firm up our dates. So really, it was the sensible thing to do :bitelip:. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

For now, though, we’ll focus primarily on all the little details of our October vacation….from transportation to accommodations to dining and attractions. Despite this being trip #8, we’re still finding the new and noteworthy in Orlando to put a unique spin on our travel plans. It’s a family rule that we must do at least one new thing on each vacation, and this one will be no different.

Oh yeah, this trip will also feature our first foray into the world of Halloween Horror Nights. For Steve, this is a Vacation Bucket List item that he’s been itching for years to scratch off the list. For me, it strikes fear in my heart as I’m not generally one to seek out a good scare. Some might call me a wimp. Some might call me a scaredy cat. Others might call me a “Halloweenie. They’d all be correct :blush:. What have I gotten myself into??? :eek:

So, I hope a few of you will join me as we whittle away the remaining months, weeks, days, hours and seconds. As of today, the countdown stands at 87 days to departure.

I will be along for the ride again. Have you guys seen the Minions movie yet?

It's great that you started your PTR on the day the kids and I went to the Minions movie!

Yay! So eager to tag along with your PTR! Thanks for helping to keep the excitement going!!

Maria :upsidedow

Welcome back Maria! Glad to have you along again! :goodvibes

I was suffering withdrawal.....glad to see your pre-trip report:)

Thanks for joining me for a second round, wiscbugs! :welcome:

I will be along for the ride again. Have you guys seen the Minions movie yet?

Hello again, tristyp! :)

We did, indeed, see the Minions movie last Friday.....and loved it! :love: (though I did think it was a bit short by movie standards....under 90 minutes after the previews were over). Steve had Friday off so I booked the afternoon off as well, and we had "Date Day" :cloud9:. Saw the Minions in the afternoon, went for Chinese food, did a little shopping, then topped it off with ice cream. A perfect day in my world! :teeth:

Thank you, thank you :worship::worship::worship:

Well, hello again! Great to see you!!! :teeth:

checking in

It wouldn't be the same without you, mac! Glad to see you are joining in again! :goodvibes

Woohoo! Lynne's here too! :banana:

It's great that you started your PTR on the day the kids and I went to the Minions movie!

Well you know, they say timing is everything :thumbsup2 .

Welcome back, my friend! Glad to have you joining in the chatter.

---------------------------

I hope to be back early this afternoon with the next entry. Stay tuned, you know how I hate trip reports that die off into nothingness.......:faint:.

That's ok - it's been a rainy day. Still have yet to see the minion movie. Getting there. Too busy this past week-end.

Hey Gina,..........how'd I miss this starting :confused3

You'll love horror nights.......so much fun!!!

Looking forward to reading along with ya :thumbsup2

That's ok - it's been a rainy day. Still have yet to see the minion movie. Getting there. Too busy this past week-end.

Blech, so sorry to hear its raining there :umbrella: . We've got glorious sunshine today but BRRRR!!! It was 12 C when I got up this morning (that's 53 F for my American friends). I hung my laundry on the line before I left for work and almost froze my fingers :cold: . I used my seat heater in the car on the way to work!!!

If you like the Minions, you'll love the movie. Super silly humour, exactly what we were expecting and hoping for.

Hey Gina,..........how'd I miss this starting :confused3

You'll love horror nights.......so much fun!!!

Looking forward to reading along with ya :thumbsup2

Welcome back, shumi! I am so happy you are here!! :cheer2: (especially since you are in the planning stages yourself......sad that we will just miss each other by a short time, must schedule that better for next fall)

I figure I will consider HHN one of the best things or the worst things that I have done on vacation while in Orlando. I'll let you know in another 3 months which it turns out to be :rotfl:.

Gina, I don't know if I already told you, but the kids and I are going to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in less than 2 weeks. We are going to spend 5 nights there, hiking and white water rafting in Smoky Mountains National Park by day and doing all the tourist stuff by night. We have not been before, but there seems to be no end of tourist stuff there, like I-Drive on steroids. We're going to do some dinner shows, mini golf, arcades, shopping, etc. I'll give you a report when we get back!

Gina, I don't know if I already told you, but the kids and I are going to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in less than 2 weeks. We are going to spend 5 nights there, hiking and white water rafting in Smoky Mountains National Park by day and doing all the tourist stuff by night. We have not been before, but there seems to be no end of tourist stuff there, like I-Drive on steroids. We're going to do some dinner shows, mini golf, arcades, shopping, etc. I'll give you a report when we get back!

Oh, fun!!! I can't wait to hear all about it when you return!

My parents travelled to Pigeon Forge years ago and had a ball. They were seniors at the time so no river rafting for them, but they loved the Smoky Mountains. I love your description of the tourist stuff...."I-Drive on steroids" :thumbsup2 . Gives me the perfect visual!!!

So……we bought our airfare forever ago, or so it seems. Maybe in January? (I seem to recall purchasing it around Christmas or New Years, but I might be mistaken) When we booked our flights, it was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper for us to fly from Buffalo, New York versus Syracuse (which is a tad bit closer), so we decided to save a little money and go the Buffalo route instead. Both are easy airports to navigate (they’re both very small) and both involve a lengthy drive, so we really are okay with either one. While Buffalo takes us a little bit longer, I like the drive far better……to Syracuse is painfully, horribly boring as we cruise through huge stretches of nothingness between cities. The trip to Buffalo, in contrast, takes us through one city after another which at least gives us lots to see to pass the time :drive:.

Another added bonus to flying from Buffalo: we get to squeeze in a stop a Niagara Falls on our way through :yay:. Our family loves, loves, LOVES Niagara Falls, and we’re super excited to be going through in October as we’ve never been there when the autumn colours are out. We have visited in the spring (we honeymooned there in early May 1993), we have visited a boatload of times in the summer (it’s a great place for a family vacation when school is out) and we’ve even been at Christmas when the mist formed beautiful icy formations along the Niagara River. I bet it will look spectacular all dressed in Mother Nature’s fall colour palette. We don’t plan on taking in any major attractions while we’re there (we've done them all before, for the most part) but the plans call for us leaving early enough to stop after crossing the border at the Rainbow Bridge and taking a walk out onto the Observation Deck at the Niagara State Park on the New York side of the Falls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_Point_Park_observation_tower

Jake HATES this tower……it always seems to be incredibly windy at that height, and while the views are outstanding, he is certain a big gust is going to sweep him into the air, over the side, and straight into the gorge :rotfl: . I couldn’t pay him to stand along the railing for a picture. It will be a very strange experience indeed to be out there without Jake…….his look of genuine terror accompanying the roar of the Falls is a bit of a tradition :rotfl2:.

I sure hope it’s not raining the day we leave. That would be disappointing, as we’d probably give stopping a pass and just continue the rest of the journey to our park and fly hotel. I don’t think I’d want to out on the Observation Tower with an umbrella……I can just see the headline now……”Woman pretends to be Mary Poppins as she and her umbrella are swept from the Observation Deck into the icy waters of the Niagara River below” :eek: .

We have only ever flown from Buffalo once before (Christmas 2012), but we had a good experience at the park and fly hotel we chose for that trip so we opted to book there again this time. I once had a friend who’s personal motto was “go with what you know”, and I often adopt the same philosophy. The Days Hotel Buffalo Airport is right across from Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, so it literally only takes us three minutes to get there via shuttle. The hotel is older but was very clean when we stayed (which is more important to me than fancy). This was the lobby on our 2012 stay, all decorated in its festive finery:

There’s a large indoor pool and hot tub for us to relax in the night prior. Breakfast begins at 4 am and is included with the stay, so we can grab a light morning meal before our 8:20 am flight. Staff were super nice, too. The price was definitely right, coming in at $109 plus tax for the night’s stay and parking for the duration of our vacation.

Rooms are pretty basic (very much in the typical Days Inn style….it’s definitely more economy than
luxury) but it does the job. While we got a room the last time with two queens, we’ve reserved a king room for this stay since it’s just the two of us. Not that there’s much sleeping the night before we fly, anyway. Too excited!! :hyper:

a57ab3c7-b82b-4a74-b271-849aaed8973b_zpszfch9qwb.jpg

Flights themselves are with Jetblue, our preferred airline (love the pre-assigned seats, the legroom, the TV's on each seat, the free snacks) non-stop both directions. Cost was $187 per person each way, (including tax and one free checked bag) plus we paid $40 each to upgrade to Even More Space seating. For the first in a long time, we’re in an Airbus with the 3 x 3 seating configuration, which was a bit of a disappointment. Normally we get assigned to a small Embraer with the 2 x 2 seating, which is perfect for when we travel as a couple: then I get a window seat while Steve gets the aisle. With the 3 x 3, I booked us each an aisle in row 2………not ideal (because I love the window) but better than potentially having some stranger between us. That would be awkward :crowded:.

If all goes as planned, we should have our feet firmly on Florida soil before 11 am on October 10th. I love arriving early and having virtually the whole first day at our disposal!! :banana:

In other news……….the Bank of Canada dropped interest rates today and our dollar took another nose dive as a result. Please forgive me while I have a little pity party at what this is doing to our vacation budgets (all three of ‘em) :sad: .

Since we are doing pre-trip reports here, I am anxiously looking forward to my trip for HHN this year. We will be staying at Cabana Bay and going 2 nights to HHN. It has been several years since we were last there, but am currently planning 3 trips at once. One each year, 2015 - 2017. With only a couple months to go for the first one. Very anxious.

Since we are doing pre-trip reports here, I am anxiously looking forward to my trip for HHN this year. We will be staying at Cabana Bay and going 2 nights to HHN. It has been several years since we were last there, but am currently planning 3 trips at once. One each year, 2015 - 2017. With only a couple months to go for the first one. Very anxious.

Sounds awesome!!! What are your 2015 dates? Maybe we will be there around the same time! :goodvibes

We will be there October 1-October 4. Arriving Thursday. Doing HHN Friday and Saturday the 2nd and 3rd. Then leaving Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter