• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October 20th, 2022: 4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami (Nassau, Castaway Cay)

shananigans

Mouseketeer
Looks like this sailing isn't up on the cruise meets board yet either - anyone else sailing on the Halloween on the High Seas cruise in October?

I’ll guess I’ll add my brief note since I just booked this 2 weeks ago! Going as a first-ever cruise (DCL or otherwise) so I am watching lots of YouTube and reading these boards to figure out the best plans in 4 months. Also the timing of the cruise was great - celebrating my 50th and daughter’s 13th on the weekend.

Happy to have any recommendations people want to pass along!

I’ll guess I’ll add my brief note since I just booked this 2 weeks ago! Going as a first-ever cruise (DCL or otherwise) so I am watching lots of YouTube and reading these boards to figure out the best plans in 4 months. Also the timing of the cruise was great - celebrating my 50th and daughter’s 13th on the weekend.

Happy to have any recommendations people want to pass along!
Hello! Im sure you’ve already done this - but make sure you include your special occasions in your reservation! That way the cast members on board can celebrate you both!

We have a 10 yo daughter who LOVES Edge and a 14 yo son who LOVES Vibe. I would def recommend checking out the club during the open house as soon as you can!

This cruise is a Halloween on the High Seas themed cruise, so feel free to bring any costumes you’d like to wear! Also, you can bring Pirate themed clothing as people will dress for Pirate Night!

If you love coffee - def check out Cove - they have yummy coffee and you’ll get a punch card, which will help you earn a free coffee. There is a small cost for the coffee - but nothing more than you’d pay at a Caribou or Starbucks.

On our first cruise we didn’t know that you could partake in breakfast outside of the buffet option, so once you meet your servers, be sure to ask where they will be for breakfast! This assures you can enjoy them throughout your cruise and there is not much better than having your servers for all of your meals! You can also do this for lunch, but we are typically really busy, so we end up eating at Flo’s near the pool area. They have great salads, pizza, fries, burgers, etc.

As far as Nassau goes, we did a really awesome excursion to Pearl Island! We aren’t snorkeling fans, but we did the lunch and beach adventure and the food was phenomenal!! The beach was great, and the kids loved swimming in the ocean and jumping off of the trampoline in the water.

Castaway Cay is great - if your daughter heads to any of the clubs, they’ve got special things for the kids to do on the island. It’s great! Def recommend buying a $13 float - nothing better than laying on one of those and allowing the waves to wash over you!

I would also recommend getting a water package before sailing, The water will be delivered to your stateroom - unless you are sailing concierge then you won’t need to do that.

We typically arrive a day before sailing and stay at a hotel to ensure we arrive in plenty of time.

We usually use Disney transfers as well. But I know from the Miami port not everyone does that. Having never sailed out of this port - I’m afraid I’m not the best to talk to about that!

Nothing else comes to mind - if I think of anything - I’ll be sure to let you know! So excited for you!

Hello! Im sure you’ve already done this - but make sure you include your special occasions in your reservation! That way the cast members on board can celebrate you both!

We have a 10 yo daughter who LOVES Edge and a 14 yo son who LOVES Vibe. I would def recommend checking out the club during the open house as soon as you can!

This cruise is a Halloween on the High Seas themed cruise, so feel free to bring any costumes you’d like to wear! Also, you can bring Pirate themed clothing as people will dress for Pirate Night!

If you love coffee - def check out Cove - they have yummy coffee and you’ll get a punch card, which will help you earn a free coffee. There is a small cost for the coffee - but nothing more than you’d pay at a Caribou or Starbucks.

On our first cruise we didn’t know that you could partake in breakfast outside of the buffet option, so once you meet your servers, be sure to ask where they will be for breakfast! This assures you can enjoy them throughout your cruise and there is not much better than having your servers for all of your meals! You can also do this for lunch, but we are typically really busy, so we end up eating at Flo’s near the pool area. They have great salads, pizza, fries, burgers, etc.

As far as Nassau goes, we did a really awesome excursion to Pearl Island! We aren’t snorkeling fans, but we did the lunch and beach adventure and the food was phenomenal!! The beach was great, and the kids loved swimming in the ocean and jumping off of the trampoline in the water.

Castaway Cay is great - if your daughter heads to any of the clubs, they’ve got special things for the kids to do on the island. It’s great! Def recommend buying a $13 float - nothing better than laying on one of those and allowing the waves to wash over you!

I would also recommend getting a water package before sailing, The water will be delivered to your stateroom - unless you are sailing concierge then you won’t need to do that.

We typically arrive a day before sailing and stay at a hotel to ensure we arrive in plenty of time.

We usually use Disney transfers as well. But I know from the Miami port not everyone does that. Having never sailed out of this port - I’m afraid I’m not the best to talk to about that!

Nothing else comes to mind - if I think of anything - I’ll be sure to let you know! So excited for you!
Oh my goodness - to see this kind of a reply was just so amazing; even though I have 4 months to go, thanks so much for all the help! Comments back:
- Disney has the special occasions recorded; hopefully with the right dates!
- Are the meals in the main dining that much better than Cabanas? I could see us doing a blend
- Good to hear about the Cove Cafe; the consensus on the standard deck coffee is that the cups taste better
- Nassau concerns me a bit as it seems like a place where the locals prey on tourists. Would we be bored if we just skipped it all together and stayed on the ship? Castaway Cay seems like the better beach experience anyway
- We arrive Wednesday morning and have a full day and night on Miami Beach; seemed safer considering we are coming from New England
- One last question - mom and daughter were thinking of doing a Chill Spa massage package, and she will turn 13 on the cruise. Will we have a problem booking beforehand since she is currently 12?

Thanks so much again!

Oh my goodness - to see this kind of a reply was just so amazing; even though I have 4 months to go, thanks so much for all the help! Comments back:
- Disney has the special occasions recorded; hopefully with the right dates!
- Are the meals in the main dining that much better than Cabanas? I could see us doing a blend
- Good to hear about the Cove Cafe; the consensus on the standard deck coffee is that the cups taste better
- Nassau concerns me a bit as it seems like a place where the locals prey on tourists. Would we be bored if we just skipped it all together and stayed on the ship? Castaway Cay seems like the better beach experience anyway
- We arrive Wednesday morning and have a full day and night on Miami Beach; seemed safer considering we are coming from New England
- One last question - mom and daughter were thinking of doing a Chill Spa massage package, and she will turn 13 on the cruise. Will we have a problem booking beforehand since she is currently 12?

Thanks so much again!
I’d double check with the dates when you’re on board - just to be safe! 🙃

Meals are better in my opinion-the food is better in MDR’s vs Cabanas. Plus you’ll get served vs having the buffet experience. Added tip: get room service at some point during your stay. It’s fun for the kids - and having a Mickey Ice Cream bar in your room is always a good idea - right? 😀

As far as Nassau - the Pearl Island excursion is pretty amazing. You take a few steps off of the ship and boats from the tour are there (you never actually walk off of the pier and step foot on Nassau) Then you have a short boat ride with the rest of the guests from the ship. Pearl Island is a private island and very safe. With that being said, staying onboard the ship at Nassau is totally fine too. Lots to do on the ship and sometimes, it’s awesome to remain on board because there can be less people!

As far as the massage - I think a quick call or email should take care of it. The spa experience will be so wonderful for them!

Let me know if you think of anything else!

Hello all, here is the Fish Extender signups for our cruise! I have included three types of signups: family groups (5 families per), adults only (10 cabins each), and a spot for signing up to have a pin trading board. Please bear in mind anyone with the link can view and alter the page, so don't post any sensitive information. I'll be adding more groups as needed. See you all aboard!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1czS0l6ZBpYgNfQ2gp9CP3tR03f43jN5RmrNnfYRbeeM/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you!! This will be our first FE experience!

A note about the fish extender sheet:

Groups are filling up, please be sure to use the arrows on the bottom to the right of the tabs to scroll over to see tabs with open groups for fish extenders (family and adult only), pin trading board signup, recipe exchange, candy exchange, and ornament exchange!

Full groups are marked FULL, I am creating more as the need arises. We will not max out, everyone who wants to participate will be able to!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1czS0l6ZBpYgNfQ2gp9CP3tR03f43jN5RmrNnfYRbeeM/edit?usp=sharing

Quick heads-up to those coming from outside Florida:
It would seem that the airline travel issues hitting the country for summer travel are continuing into the fall. JetBlue cancelled my return flight from Miami back to Boston, and the alternate they proposed would be leaving before the ship returned to port. Inconvenient!

So now we are staying over one day more in Miami and leaving Tuesday morning - anyone have good ideas of what to do for another day in Miami with 8 and 13 year old?

A note about the fish extender sheet:

Groups are filling up, please be sure to use the arrows on the bottom to the right of the tabs to scroll over to see tabs with open groups for fish extenders (family and adult only), pin trading board signup, recipe exchange, candy exchange, and ornament exchange!

Full groups are marked FULL, I am creating more as the need arises. We will not max out, everyone who wants to participate will be able to!

So I’m new to this … how do we know who we are buying for - or do we buy for everyone in our group?

So I’m new to this … how do we know who we are buying for - or do we buy for everyone in our group?
Yup, everyone in your group! If you're on the pixie dust list only, it's not a formal exchange -- just a list of folks who would like pixie dust. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter