October Pros and Cons

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Just booked late October. It has been a very long time (over a decade) since we have visited in October. Give it to me straight: what are the pros and cons of an October visit? I’m assuming it’s going to be crowded with the parties and F&W but will it be unbearably hot as well?

Pros - F&W is going on. Past hurricane season. Not as hot as the summer. MNSSHP is going on. while it still rains some, not the rainy season.
Cons - tends to be very crowded for above reasons. Starting peak season for DVC, if you are a member.

We have gone in October for the last 8 years.

Just booked late October. It has been a very long time (over a decade) since we have visited in October. Give it to me straight: what are the pros and cons of an October visit? I’m assuming it’s going to be crowded with the parties and F&W but will it be unbearably hot as well?
We have gone to WDW the last week of October many times and usually have great weather. One year even had some cooler temps. :)

We have gone to WDW the last week of October many times and usually have great weather. One year even had some cooler temps. :)
See this is what I thought I remembered about late October. The last time we went at the end of October was probably 2010 or so and I have pictures of us in light jackets.

Fingers crossed for some cooler temperatures.

Con: Some hotels can be significantly more expensive at the end of October.
  1. Search for resort availability. Do not select a Special Offer. You have to be searching for rack rates.
  2. Select the resort you want.
  3. Select "Rate details" for the room category you are interested in.
  4. In the bottom left of the pop-up window there will be a link "View Rate Calendar"
It gives you the same info as Mouse Savers (but doesn't include the 12.5% tax) but at least you can stay on one website and see what days are cheaper if you have flexibility with your dates and I like the calendar view.

Con: Some hotels can be significantly more expensive at the end of October.
  1. Search for resort availability. Do not select a Special Offer. You have to be searching for rack rates.
  2. Select the resort you want.
  3. Select "Rate details" for the room category you are interested in.
  4. In the bottom left of the pop-up window there will be a link "View Rate Calendar"
It gives you the same info as Mouse Savers (but doesn't include the 12.5% tax) but at least you can stay on one website and see what days are cheaper if you have flexibility with your dates and I like the calendar view.
That’s good info! Luckily we are staying on a conference rate this year.

Biggest con is its EXTREMELY crowded.
October used to be the "off" season but its now one of the most popular times.

Weather can be all over the place.
Usually its a happy medium hot but can swing in either direction.
And while PEAK hurricane season is in mid September its still a real possibility in October.

Definite pros IF you are interested in them are the F&W and MNSSHP. They are a lot of fun and since in general the weather is not as hot as say August you can really do it up with your costume and not be overheated.

Biggest con is its EXTREMELY crowded.
October used to be the "off" season but its now one of the most popular times.

Weather can be all over the place.
Usually its a happy medium hot but can swing in either direction.
And while PEAK hurricane season is in mid September its still a real possibility in October.

Definite pros IF you are interested in them are the F&W and MNSSHP. They are a lot of fun and since in general the weather is not as hot as say August you can really do it up with your costume and not be overheated.
More crowded than September? We were there last September and were quite surprised at the crowd levels.

More crowded than September? We were there last September and were quite surprised at the crowd levels.

I'd say it depends a bit on exact dates but yeah just as if not more crowded. October has really become peak time within the past decade.
Crowds have really started shifting out of Summer and into Fall.

Also, if planning for MNSSHP, the prices in Oct are significant,y more that month the parties in Sep (and of course Aug).

I'd say it depends a bit on exact dates but yeah just as if not more crowded. October has really become peak time within the past decade.
Crowds have really started shifting out of Summer and into Fall.
Honestly, we were quite shocked by the fall crowds last year. What a change from our first MNSSHP over a decade ago.

We were there last October for our oldest granddaughters 5th birthday on Oct. 4th and our DS’s 31st birthday on Oct. 7th. We’re we’re in MK for her birthday, and it was pretty crowded, but not so much for his birthday in Epcot on the 7th.
October used to be a relatively light time at WDW in the past, but not so much anymore.
I don’t remember the temps being too bad, but I’m from Texas, so what do I know…!!!!! 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter