• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October vs. February

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We're trying to decide between October vs. February for our trip to Aulani. Is one month better than the other? Are there certain times during those months to avoid? Also stopping at Disneyland on the way there for a few days. We were set on October, but have started investigating February. The one major difference I've noticed so far is the cost of the flights is way higher in February (coming from Toronto). Interested in any and all feedback. Thanks so much!

Edit- looking at February 2nd - 8th, which I don't think is anywhere near President's Day (week?)

Last edited:
Feb 2-8th is not close to Presidents Day/week! :cutie:

Hmmm. Well, the weather could be a little toasty in August, but winter has a little more odds of having rain, though Aulani is on the leeward/dry side of the island. February should have good weather but can be a tad cool if there is a storm system that hangs around.

It is pretty hard to choose a bad time to go to Hawaii! :flower: The weather is fairly static.

We were in February in 2017, because we wanted to see whales. Whale viewing was excellent in Maui, from shore. We did not see any off the coast near Aulani. We spent a week in each place.

I think the snorkeling reef at Aulani seemed colder in February than in September, the other month we were there, but that could just be me. We’ll be there in September, next month. We would go either month again. We think going to Aulani every 18 months seems doable for us on the east coast.

We were in February in 2017, because we wanted to see whales. Whale viewing was excellent in Maui, from shore. We did not see any off the coast near Aulani. We spent a week in each place.

I think the snorkeling reef at Aulani seemed colder in February than in September, the other month we were there, but that could just be me. We’ll be there in September, next month. We would go either month again. We think going to Aulani every 18 months seems doable for us on the east coast.

Bobbiwoz is surely right about the humpback whale sightings! :cutie: The mama whales prefer the very protected and shallow channel between the leeward side of Maui and Lana'i. I have actually seen a mom and baby whale from my lanai while staying at Aulani once. (not sure which trip it was but it would have been either January or Feb.) One can see whales occasionally from Oahu, but not in NEARLY the number one can see them off of Maui.

And I agree that February will definitely be a bit cooler than September in Hawaii. August and Sept. can be pretty toasty sometimes in Hawaii. February is usually very nice weather but can be wetter and cooler for certain. We usually go in Jan and/or Feb for our annual Hawaii trips. :flower:

I am also from Toronto and one thing to consider is snow storms here.
I know it is a long shot but you are not going to have to wait on the runway while they de-ice the plane in October or have a flight postponed due to a blizzard.
On the flip side, I have been to the Hawaiian islands in Feb and there is nothing like leaving all the snow and slush behind for the gorgeous sunshine.
I personally get chilled very easily and I find the Hawaiian waters chilly in the winter. It is fine once you get in and swim around a bit but I prefer the summer or fall and that is when I would go.

October is still hurricane season. Despite this past week's events, I would still recommend October as it's still warm. Just be sure to buy trip insurance!

Wife and I are going in Feb.5-13 I actually found great prices on flights from Toronto on United Airlines and paid in Canadian Funds... was a lot cheaper than fly A/C or Westjet and arrive at 4 pm Hawaii time. opposed to 8 or 9 pm

I am also from Toronto and one thing to consider is snow storms here.
I know it is a long shot but you are not going to have to wait on the runway while they de-ice the plane in October or have a flight postponed due to a blizzard.
On the flip side, I have been to the Hawaiian islands in Feb and there is nothing like leaving all the snow and slush behind for the gorgeous sunshine.
I personally get chilled very easily and I find the Hawaiian waters chilly in the winter. It is fine once you get in and swim around a bit but I prefer the summer or fall and that is when I would go.

Thanks! and ugh lol. This is my one concern - the darn snow causing delays. But as you say, it will be SO NICE to get out of here in the winter. We haven't gone away in the winter since 2014! Something to think about for sure, thanks!

Thanks everyone! Super excited about the whale watching possibilities! I had read that the water would be a bit chillier, but in comparison to the lake temps here, I think we'll be okay :) Lots to think about, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter