Off the clock? No time for guests' questions

Judge Doom

Mouseketeer
This makes me sad...

Off the clock? No time for guests' questions
By Robert Johnson
Sentinel Staff Writer

May 6, 2002

Walt Disney World employees are buzzing about a management memo that tells them to limit time they spend answering guests' questions unless they are on the clock.

The strategy is cost-cutting move, motivated by Disney World's desire to avoid paying employees as they walk, often for more than 10 minutes at a time, to and from their cars while starting and ending shifts.

The guidelines written by an attraction vice president, Lee Cockerell, specify that park workers, called "cast members," should defer guest queries "if the question would take more than a few seconds . . ."

In such cases, Cockerell states in the April 12 memo, "Please direct the guest to an on-duty cast member."

The issue is about money.

It's part of a long-running labor-management feud over whether workers should be paid for so-called "walk-through" time -- periods when workers, often in costume, are walking the sometimes lengthy distances from their cars through park areas to punch in near their work stations.

Disney used to pay its workers for their "walk-through" time, but that practice ended when Disney World's unions agreed on a compromise last year in which they aren't paid for walk-through time.

The compromise, part of union workers' current contract, is that they aren't obligated to make time to help guests while walking to and from their cars. The problem, some workers say, is that such time-consuming contact is often unavoidable.

"Some common sense and cooperation is obviously required," Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said.

Cockerell states in his memo that the solution is for cast members who aren't on the clock to use this response to a potentially time-consuming question: "Sir/Ma'am, I am unable to answer your question. However, the cast member at [location] will be happy to assist you."

The memo goes on to state that cast members are permitted to help guests when they aren't getting paid, "but this is on a totally voluntary basis."

Orlando's other major theme parks haven't had problems with this issue. At Universal Orlando, employees are paid for 15 minutes of "change time" on each shift, so they can arrive in street clothes. At SeaWorld, more compact than its competitors, most employees clock in close to the two security gates through which they enter the park.

But some Disney workers say Cockerell's memo is aimed at taking advantage of their good nature.

"If you're in costume, you're 'on stage,' whether you're clocked in or not," said one Magic Kingdom waitress who asked for anonymity. "I'm not going to turn my back on a family with little kids because I can't answer their questions in a few seconds. That just wouldn't be right."

A Disney annual passholder, Lee Calabrese of Maitland, suggested this solution: "They should put signs that say either 'In Service' or 'Out of Service.' "

Robert Johnson can be reached at rwjohnson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-cfbtoursty06050602may06.story

Hey Suits of TDA:

What does the words "ON STAGE" mean to you? Should a Broadway actor drop character just because he will soon exit stage right?

Should a movie actor talk on the cell phone to his buddies on the screen just because he may not have a speaking part coming up?

HELLO?

:)

Please enjoy your stay at CDW. "Corporate Disney World."

I don't know if any CM would really direct guests away if they were off the clock. Often a guest question can be answered in 5 seconds. This is more of an issue at AK because there's no backstage/cast member area so they are more likely to encounter guests off the clock. So I'm not too familiar with that with me working at Epcot. I just have a feeling that 99% of the CMs would be dedicated enough to easily help out guests even if they were off the clock. I know I would!

This is driven by two issues.....Department of Labor rules for "non-exempt" (hourly) labor and cost control. You cannot, by law, ask an hourly paid employee to do anything while off the clock. NOTHING!!!!! Thus the memo stating that answering questions is voluntary. Disney is also very concerned about controlling their labor costs, which can account for nearly 50% of their cost structure. It's a really big deal and 15-30 minutes of "walk time" for every paid shift adds up to a really big number. Clearly Disney has identified this time as a place to cut costs, and I would rather they do this then cut back on anything that directly affects guests.

We have many hourly employees at my company. I am well versed in this, and have written and communicated the same kind of memos. It protects the hourly employees from abuse, and the company from enormous fines over violations.

Disney is doing the only thing it can here.

DFG, Disney is merely operating in the business environment in which they have to and according to the agreement of the participating labor union...This is really a non-story, IMO...Just another chance for someone to take a swipe at the big, bad, Mouse and try to make a name for themselves...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

No, it's just another cutback designed to funnel more money away from WDW.

They used to pay for the walk time, they used to follow all the rulles, they used to encourage cast members to help the guests on their way to & from their locations. It all used to be great.

But.....

The union didn't force this issue, The Company did. Disney decided that paying a worker an extra 15 minutes to walk from Costuming to their work location. Suddenly, this became "off the clock time" and subject to all the restrictions mentioned by Mr. DisneyFanGuy mentioned.

So by saving about a buck twenty-five for each employee - the company is now forced to tell them not to answer the guest's questions. Fantasic customer service. Really.

Business conditions and non-issue??!!! Here is yet one more clear CUT in customer service (and to the cast member's working conditions) soley to shave a few cents and people still excuse it away.

Nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble.....

Does this have anything to do with cast member parking being the lot nearest the gate now? Has this always been the case? I was in WDW this weekend. I always get to the parks early, and it does not seem that I can park as close as I used to. Maybe giving them the closer lots cuts down on the walk time and the guest interaction.

I was a little annoyed at being pushed further out, as we do not take the tram because we have a double stroller. That's why we got there early. As AV said, nibble, nibble, nibble.

Its ironic that Disney is running a radio commercial now in Florida promoting annual passes with the slogan, "you'll have the run of the place" or something like that.

Right.

Yeah, not being able to get an answer from an off duty CM in the parking lot really affects the quality of customer service...geesh! Further, how many CM's when "cornered" in a park while on the way out, won't take the time to answer the guests question despite being on or off the clock? Disney's just following the agreement with the union...who instigated the requirment in negotiations is moot. It still must be followed...

My pet peeve nibble, nibble on this topic was that they took the closest parking lot away from paying guests, if indeed that is what was done. Especially if it was done to minimize cast members off-clock time and save a few bucks.

That's my customer service beef.

Unless, of course, the parking lot arrangement has not changed. In that case, ....... nevermind.

I was mostly picking at the showbiz fellow who posts here occasionally! ;)

This isn't an issue about the stopping cast members in the parking lot - it's about stopping cast members in the parks. Having spent more than a few years walking through "on stage" in both suits and costumes it's rather difficult to make it from Point A to Point B without some question about restrooms, timing of the three o'clock parade, the directions to Magic Mountain, or requests for a group picture to send to Auntie Sue.

I can pooh-pooh a lot of things, but anytime a costumed cast member is on stage they are directly impacting customer service. Period. The guests do not care about phoney excuses dealing with union rules, labor cost savings, screw-ups with Costuming or all the other "business issues" that real business try to hide from their customers. A cast member is representing The Company. No excuses.

For all the posting lauding The Company for it's great service level, and endless musings about how it makes Disney "better" than everyone else - it's really amazing how quickly people accept the justification for another cut simply because Disney whines about not making enough money. An identical memo as this one on a Universal or Sea World letterhead would have been taken as proof that the Devil works at those parks. Yet put a mouse on the paper and all is forgiven.

It is not fair for Disney to force the cast members (who are trying to do a good job) into sending away guests just because Mike's peeved that he didn't get a bonus this year.

You're right Voice...I agree. CM's shouldn't be put in such a perdicament (if these perdicaments are truly occuring)...Seems to me this is probably another non-issue though because, a I said, how many CM's are going to fall on the scripted line & not answer the question? But, all things being equal and as it has always been my desire to live in a perfect world, I agree that this does seem unseemly...

this is probably another non-issue though because, a I said, how many CM's are going to fall on the scripted line & not answer the question?
..that's pretty much the point. The corporate Disney reaps the benefits of caring Cast Members attending to guests while walking to and from their work areas, but doesn't see why the company should have to pay the CMs for performing that service.

Sometimes Disney's corporate greed raids the guest's pocketbook, sometimes it raids the Cast Member's personal time.

Either way, it is just another example of corporate energy and creativity being applied at the accounting level, rather than the guest experience level. Imagineering has been moved into bookkeeping, and the show is for Wall Street, not the guests.

Magic happens, but it's only the double-entry kind.

Jeff

Does his verbal bark pack the same punch as his written one?
...no, if I can't go back and edit obsessively before exposing my thoughts to public view, then I communicate just as poorly as the rest of you.

Jeff

PS: Sticking to my "no Smilies" guns, no matter what the cost. Someday I'll develop the stones to leave off the postscript, as well...

(Conservatively) 500 shifts per day per park X 2.00 X365 days a year is 1 million, 465 thousand dollars paid in "Walk time". Labor costs are becomming the largest cost of anything. (In my case, almost 1/3 of all revenues are paid out in Labor costs). Most companies, including Disney, are trying to cut costs in things that least impact guest service. This was something negotiated by the union. Mr. Pirate's initial thoughts were correct. A non issue. Maintainence, Imagineering, Training of CMs for when they are ON duty.....those are real issues.

I have to, despite my irritation with many recent Disney decisions, have to believe that decisions like this one are made based upon discussion, debate, and logic. I mean, not EVERYTHIHG that they are doing is based on "tossing darts at a board".

At least I hope.

Disney Suits: How can we cut labor costs?

Disney T-account analysts: Eliminate paid walk time.

Management to CMs: You will no longer be paid for walk time.

CMs: Well then we no longer need to answer questions when on walk time.

Management: Yes you do.

Union: No, they don't, and if you try to force them to do anything without paying them you will have a major problem.

Which leads us to the memo....

So Disney had two choices:

1- Continue to pay walk time.
2- Eliminate walk time and make if very clear off-duty/in-costume CMs don't have to tell Elmer from Tennesse where the bathroom is, or when the rain will stop.

They chose #2. What are the benefits? Decreased labor costs, which of course is a plus. But at what cost? Three things:

A- There will be guests who while in the park ask an off-duty CM a question and will not get an answer that they would have otherwise received. Instead, they will be directed to another CM with no real explanation why. Any complaints will fall on deaf ears.

B- Bad PR from the memo.

C- A message has been sent to the employees and customers that management does not consider customer service to be the same priority as in the past. Management does not consider these "walk-time" interactions to be important enough to pay for. A customer doesn't know an off-duty CM from an on-duty CM, so their perception will be a degradation in overall service level. Management's message is that this is ok, because it saves money. Regardless of what management says, CMs know what the real priority is.

We can justify A by saying that maybe the number of these interactions is very small, so there will be very little impact. And B can be explained away by saying that cost cutting info almost always results in some amount of bad PR, so it will just blow over.

But C is an example of something that represents a philosophy change, and that is much more serious and cannot be explained away.

I'm not saying that this example means the Car 3's and 4's have been right all along, However, I do see this as very different than an earlier closing time or reduced show schedules. Those types of cuts can be tied to attendance levels, guest patterns, etc, and certainly can be reversed when attendance picks-up again. But the type of thing in this memo is not a temporary measure to help weather the storm.

Taking shots at me heh??? Well just you wait. My revenge will come soon, very soon. Anyway I think that this really isnt a meaningful discussion at all. 97% of cast members will continue to answer guest questions.

This is another example that some people are willing to excuse disney for whatever they do.
Great points were made by AV/Raidermatt. This is being done with no concern for the guest experience as that apparently doesnt matter anymore. And Car 3 people are right and have more vindication!!! And i couldnt agree more that if Universal did this most would be jumping on the bandwagon and attacking them while praising disney but the door doesnt swing both ways does it??
And its nice to see the local paper print this a week after Hill brought this up in his own coloumn.

For whatever it's worth... My only theme park work experience was at Kings Island (before Paramount owned it.) Each day I would park my car, walk into the cast building, go to wardrobe, get my costume, go to the lockerroom, change, walk to my attraction and clock in there. I would clock out from that location and reverse the process. I don't ever remember questioning why I wasn't paid for dressing/walking activities. Perhaps I was too young and stupid to know any different. Plus, we certainly weren't union! I do remember answering guests questions during my travels.

I see most Studios cast walking into the theme park already costumed. Do they take them home? Do they get them at another site?

Getting paid to walk from the parking lot to the park is a bit silly. That doesn't happen anywhere. Perhaps clocking in at a central location and getting paid for the walk from there to the attraction/shop/restaurant is a happy middleground.

But, the bottom line is that the union agreed to these terms. So, the CM's have to live with the actions of their representatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter