Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can easily walk to the Poly form the GF, htere's a nice path past the WP.
I would rather stay at just one hotel rather than move just for a bus one morning.

My first Princess I stayed off-site (mom paid and I wasn't complianing). This year I stayed at a host resort (SSR). I liked staying at a host resort since I didn't need a car. Transportation was much better than January too since people weren't rushing to the busses.

Count me in! 2011 will be my 2nd year participating in the Disney Princess and I plan on making this a yearly event as long as Disney will keep it going!!! It was so much fun and didn't feel like a "real" race. I keep checking for registration to open up!!! I think I will drive myself next year instead of relying on Disney transportation....at least I can sit in my car instead of standing in the cold waiting for the bus!

Is is always cold during the princess?

Also, do any men ever run?

From what I understand the first year was just as cold as this year and this year was pretty darn cold. I purchased a cheap jacket to wear and once I got warmed up tossed on the side of the road. Disney donates all the clothing and there was a lot of it!!! Next year I will also bring some throw away pants, hat, scarf, and gloves. My hands were freezing!!!! I actually ended up putting on some gloves that had been tossed on the side of the road, ewww!

Yes, there were men running. Not a lot but they were there. Some were even dressed up like a princess, some of the "evil" characters, and I even saw a frog prince! Lot's of encouragement for everyone at this race!

I think this year was slightly colder than last year, but it could be that I was more prepared and aware of how my body would react to the weather. I'm also better educated on the gear that I need. For both race though, I wore a cheap Walmart poncho. It kept the heat near my body and I was able to throw it away after a mile or so.

ABOUT HOTELS:
First year, non host hotel and drove to race-pro-you can stay in your car until you go to the start
This year, host hotel-con-you are out in the cold once bus drops you off.
We stayed at All Stars Movies and I would NOT stay at an All Stars again-too many bus issues, but would stay at a host hotel again.

MEN:
Yes, they do run about 200 the first year and 400 this year-many "cross dressers" Both years I started next to a Snow White and this year he had on full makeup!:eek: But it is fun. You can go to the results page and see how the men did or someone in your age group.

From what I understand the first year was just as cold as this year and this year was pretty darn cold. I purchased a cheap jacket to wear and once I got warmed up tossed on the side of the road. Disney donates all the clothing and there was a lot of it!!! Next year I will also bring some throw away pants, hat, scarf, and gloves. My hands were freezing!!!! I actually ended up putting on some gloves that had been tossed on the side of the road, ewww!

Yes, there were men running. Not a lot but they were there. Some were even dressed up like a princess, some of the "evil" characters, and I even saw a frog prince! Lot's of encouragement for everyone at this race!
Thanks for your help!!! I don't have anyone that would be interested in running with me at this point besides DH, and I really don't want to run by myself. I'm glad to hear they donate all the clothing. I don't want to just throw something away, but I never mind donating!
ABOUT HOTELS:
First year, non host hotel and drove to race-pro-you can stay in your car until you go to the start
This year, host hotel-con-you are out in the cold once bus drops you off.
We stayed at All Stars Movies and I would NOT stay at an All Stars again-too many bus issues, but would stay at a host hotel again.

MEN:
Yes, they do run about 200 the first year and 400 this year-many "cross dressers" Both years I started next to a Snow White and this year he had on full makeup!:eek: But it is fun. You can go to the results page and see how the men did or someone in your age group.

I can't see DH dressing up, but I know he'd run with me!

Leleluvsdis You won't be running alone. You will be running with 11,000 other "Princesses Sisters". Closer to the race others on this board will start talking about their pace and will hook up and run/walk together. There will be a meeting time and place the night before the race to meet others also.

It was a lot colder this year than last.
Last year I did not need to go into medical because I was so cold like I did this year.

Count me in! Right now I can fast walk a 12 minute mile, and will be starting the Marathon for Mortals walk/run program after Easter. I'll be running by myself, so I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

leleluvsdis-I'm in Virginia too! Is Rustburg near Norfolk?

Thanks for your help!!! I don't have anyone that would be interested in running with me at this point besides DH, and I really don't want to run by myself. I'm glad to hear they donate all the clothing. I don't want to just throw something away, but I never mind donating!

I can't see DH dressing up, but I know he'd run with me!

I was worried about running alone this year, but thankfully, I found an awesome running buddy here on the boards, and it worked out fantastic-ly. I'm betting that you'd be able to find someone to run with you if your hubby doesn't!

Leleluvsdis You won't be running alone. You will be running with 11,000 other "Princesses Sisters". Closer to the race others on this board will start talking about their pace and will hook up and run/walk together. There will be a meeting time and place the night before the race to meet others also.

That is defietly more comforting!!! I like someone to run with b/c it helps me keep pace better, and it's nice to have someone to talk with and give/recieve encouragement!

I was worried about running alone this year, but thankfully, I found an awesome running buddy here on the boards, and it worked out fantastic-ly. I'm betting that you'd be able to find someone to run with you if your hubby doesn't!

I'm hopeing so... is there anyone near lynchburg rustburg area in VA?
Count me in! Right now I can fast walk a 12 minute mile, and will be starting the Marathon for Mortals walk/run program after Easter. I'll be running by myself, so I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

leleluvsdis-I'm in Virginia too! Is Rustburg near Norfolk?

unfortunatly no... we are about 4 hours from norfolk:sad2:

Hi! I'm super new to this. I did the 5K back in January, but thats about it. I'm currently 7 months pregnant so won't be starting to really train until summer. I'm hoping to make the Princess 2011 my first 1/2 Marathon, it times perfectly as I will be 2 years post cancer and on my list I made when I was first diagnosed I said I would run a 1/2 marathon at 2 years! :) DH is running it with me (I haven't told him its mostly women, but he won't care, haha). My whole family will be in town, we're doing the family 5K together also. We own DVC so will be staying at one of those... hoping race dates are announced soon so we can book and start planning.

Can't wait to read more. I feel kind of clueless.

Stephanie - 2 years post-cancer. What a way to celebrate!!! Congratulations on that and the new baby coing!

OK, I'm in teh 90% sure range. Provided I can fund the trip, but I think dh will do all he can to ship me off. I mean to let me go again. :rotfl: That would make me nothing like a Princess, but "Perfectly Princess" as far as th race goes.

For anyone who is decidign between January and Princess, I would say do Princess. A great race, seems liek more entertainment than January and they really make you feel like a Princess. (Even for people someone like me who ain't no stinkin' Princess. ;) )

Carrie Your spelling is very wobbly today "sip me ooff" I wasn't sure I should be reading that (JK), but I got it after reading your next sentence! I bet you are a princess on the inside.princess:

Stephanie Congrats and congrats! I'm sure you will accomplish your goal of a half--piece of cake after cancer and birthing a baby!

Welcome to all and I agree with Carrie, if you are looking for a half I would choose the Princess as my first ( and I did). So many women with all different paces and lot of distractions with all the on course entertainment.

Carrie Your spelling is very wobbly today "sip me ooff" I wasn't sure I should be reading that (JK), but I got it after reading your next sentence! I bet you are a princess on the inside.princess:

:rotfl: Yikes! Fixed it. DOn't know that i'm a Princess on teh inside either, but Princess weekend makes me want ot be one and makes me feel like one!

As far as the hotel, I work for IHG so I stayed at our newly reopened Holiday Inn across from Downtown Disney. The rate was too good for me not to! ;) It took us 15 minutes to drive to Epcot and park. The traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we actually passed a lot of the buses from the host resorts.

Yikes it was cold! I dropped the idea of wearing a running skirt the night before and wore my running capri's, my sleeveless running shirt under my Princess in Training long sleeve shirt, gloves, my Nike Sportband helped me keep pace, and a hat. It didn't keep me that warm but it was okay. I ditched my gloves at mile 9, but never took off the long sleeve shirt. It just didn't warm up and I just don't heat up very much with running so I have no idea what the plan will be next year. I guess I have plenty of time to decide. :)

I loved seeing all the guys that were running (most were running to support their significant others, moms, etc.) and the sense of humor out there was awesome. The shirts, the costumes, just the overall mood was incredible. Just like others have said, you were really never alone. There were always people around and the volunteers cheering us on were amazing! The only gripe I had was with the porta potties...granted I could have done what many others were and just gone on the side of the road. :rolleyes1

For those that did the Princess last year...what were some of the things that you saw or did yourself that you would recommend people didn't do next year? One thing I can think of is not carrying any extra water or sports drinks. I thought that Disney did a great job at spacing the water stations and it wasn't necessary to have the extra fluid. Plus, it was just one more thing to carry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter