Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the Royal Family 5k's theme is this year? I know it was either Princess and the Frog or Beauty and the Beast last year...

Thanks!

I used to run track in high school but always did sprints and relays. Long distance running kills me. I haven't run for a while but started with the couch to 5k app on my phone about two months ago. I'm getting an iPhone in January and I'll start the 1/2 marathon program with the run jog app. Does anyone here have any other app recommendations they like better?

I am a runkeeper fan. It has a decent GPS integrator so it is fairly accurate. It has coaching cues that come on over the music. Runkeeper has a 'pro' level that allows you to upload data WHILE on the run. We used it in the last Goofy to help my troop track me. It worked well, until I turned it off around mile 11 trying to change songs....

Note with any iPhone app, turn off the wifi and 3G antennae prior to running. The iPhone apps will work without these links keeping the battery alive longer.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but as a participant in the half, can I buy theme park tickets for my stepsister who is staying with me?

What intervals are you doing? I have been doing straight running. I was kind of working off Hal Higdon's (sp?) plan. Only I haven't been doing the cross training days. I really need to work on my core strength. After yesterday I could really feel how my upper body slump was affecting my running.

I am running 3:1 intervals.

I'm such an idiot. The thought never occurred to me to run it before we left. I guess I'm in such a mind set of doing long runs on Saturdays I never thought about it. So I ran my 7 miles today and am now packed for our flight tomorrow after work. Cannot wait to get on the ship! Thank you both for the advice :goodvibes[/QUOTE]

You really should run the Castaway Cay 5K while you are on the island.
I did it twice on my cruise. It's really fun and you get a bib! I'm saving them for my scrapbook.
When I did the cruise, I had a training run of 11 miles to do. So I did the 5K and then went back on the ship and ran another 8 miles on the treadmill (after changing my clothes in between). It was kind of tedious, but I brought my ipad and watched movies.
Sadly Minnie did not show up in the workout room to join me. That would have been soooooooooooo cool!:yay:

I am a runkeeper fan. It has a decent GPS integrator so it is fairly accurate. It has coaching cues that come on over the music. Runkeeper has a 'pro' level that allows you to upload data WHILE on the run. We used it in the last Goofy to help my troop track me. It worked well, until I turned it off around mile 11 trying to change songs....

Note with any iPhone app, turn off the wifi and 3G antennae prior to running. The iPhone apps will work without these links keeping the battery alive longer.

I like RunKeeper too because it will give me my intervals so I know when to walk/run without having to think about it too much. LOL! I also like the Nike+ app because I love hearing all the cheers when I am out running! :cheer2:

Hi friends! Just wanted to pop in...I'm running the half by myself too, staying at BWV. A little bit nervous about being alone on race day, but hoping I'll make starting line friends.

I submitted my time for the last half marathon I did, 2:33, so hopefully that will suffice. I doubt I'll be at that this time though, I have gained about 10 pounds and am not in quite as good shape as I was at this point in the last half. Right now I'm following the Galloway plan although doing straight running (sometimes with brief walking breaks on long runs). I did Higdon for my last half, and am nervous about how Galloway has fewer days and increases mileage so much faster. It feels kind of random to me, but hopefully it will work! I am considering throwing in a few more midweek short runs just to keep the mileage base strong, especially on those weeks where he backs down to a 4 mile long run, but it's hard with my work and family schedule.

I've been having nagging shin pain even after replacing my shoes and taking a weeklong running break for a Thanksgiving trip to Disney, so hoping that resolves!

Hi friends! Just wanted to pop in...I'm running the half by myself too, staying at BWV. A little bit nervous about being alone on race day, but hoping I'll make starting line friends.

I submitted my time for the last half marathon I did, 2:33, so hopefully that will suffice. I doubt I'll be at that this time though, I have gained about 10 pounds and am not in quite as good shape as I was at this point in the last half. Right now I'm following the Galloway plan although doing straight running (sometimes with brief walking breaks on long runs). I did Higdon for my last half, and am nervous about how Galloway has fewer days and increases mileage so much faster. It feels kind of random to me, but hopefully it will work! I am considering throwing in a few more midweek short runs just to keep the mileage base strong, especially on those weeks where he backs down to a 4 mile long run, but it's hard with my work and family schedule.

I've been having nagging shin pain even after replacing my shoes and taking a weeklong running break for a Thanksgiving trip to Disney, so hoping that resolves!

Kathleen, I am also running alone and was just getting on here to find out if I can meet some people who would be in or near my corral. I ran my last half in 2:32, but am looking to do a slower pace this time, especially since there will be so much fun to be had along the way!!!

Kimber

Did 7 miles yesterday at the indoor track at the rec center, since it was raining outside all day. 70 laps around the track is absolutely mine numbing!! However, I know my pace and endurance is better than it was last year when I was preparing for the Princess. Hope that holds up when I go back outside.

Did 7 miles yesterday at the indoor track at the rec center, since it was raining outside all day. 70 laps around the track is absolutely mine numbing!! However, I know my pace and endurance is better than it was last year when I was preparing for the Princess. Hope that holds up when I go back outside.

I am so amazed you did 70 laps! Holy cow that sounds harder to me than running 7 miles on the road or trail! Way to go. I am sure it will hold up outside.

Just finished my 8 miles! I still can't believe I actually did it. :D And I burned 1278 calories!

AWESOME! Amazing isn't it how you just keep on adding on the miles and it all works out!

Stretch out and take it easy if you are having pain. Hoping things resolve for you....and um, me too. Also, Galloway works, just follow the plan.

Finished 9 miles today- my longest run yet. :banana:

Great Job!

You ladies are all so inspiring!

Kathleen, I am also running alone and was just getting on here to find out if I can meet some people who would be in or near my corral. I ran my last half in 2:32, but am looking to do a slower pace this time, especially since there will be so much fun to be had along the way!!!

Kimber

Awesome! We should get together! :goodvibes

Way to go Minniequeen! The indoor track at the Y is 11 laps per mile- only way I can keep track is to do certian intervals per mile and then plan my fuel breaks at certian miles. Last year I'd run 9 laps walk 2 (so I could reach my water bottle and then return it to the shelf I left it on) per mile then every 5miles I'd grab a gel. It isn't easy with all the turns but it works and I'm a weather wuss! Before they built the new Y I'd be out running long miles in sleet, snow and Ice- and hated every mile! Now at least it's a comfortable temp- even when the running gets tough! (I put my water bottle on a ledge because by about mile 7 bending down to pick it up isnt' an easy thing to do LOL)

Congraulations on your long runs everyone- I'm hoping to get 4 done tomorrow!

What website do y'all recommend for buying running shoes? Which one honors the WISH code?

Buying running shoes is such a personal task.....I would not buy online unless you already know for absolute that you love the pair you are buying. I highly recommend visiting your local running store, try on every pair in your size, not just the ones they recommend for you. Pay a little more for your first good pair, then you know what you like.....then....you can google the exact pair again online for usually close to half what you paid the first time since they will be last years model. Make sense? Like I know I love love Saucony Ride 3.....So I can order with confidence and know I will love them, they are 50$ this year, I paid 100$ for them last year. Amazon is usually a great place for discounts. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter