Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in it with you all! Supposed to run the marathon in January as long as my knee gets better. I did the princes in 2011 and crossing the finish line was an amazing feeling!

Hey, Dumbo Buddy - I remember you from 2011! Your post on "running angry" has always stuck in my mind - that was exactly how I felt some days!

Hey guys!

My husband is running the half marathon with me but the only problem is that he gets TERRIBLE shin splints about 1/2 mile into a jog.

What advice do you all have for shin splints!!?!? We have been working so hard for this and I don't want shin splints to stop us from getting our medal.

-sarah in south texas

I have dealt with these in the past and the main thing that helped me was changing my running form. Sounds like he has done everything he is supposed to, but I would also throw in the stretches other posters have mentioned and maybe do some strength exercises for legs; sometimes when other parts of the leg / butt are weak, it makes the calves & shins pick up the slack and work harder.

I'm not a qualified expert by any means but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. A few months ago I developed terrible shin splits. Did the whole gait analysis, running store etc route. Got shoes for over pronation. Got about 5 diff pairs actually. Wasn't until I found a pair that didn't have a huge wedge in the arch and felt "normal" to me that I was able to run without the shin splint pain. (mizuno nexus). Apparently even tho my feet are somewhat flat and over pronate when standing and walking, my running stride seems to correct this naturally already and the major stability shoes were causing me more pain than help. Moral of my story is, try as many different shoes as u need to, including ones that might not totally make sense mathematically. And while he has pain, ice, massage w a small foam ball, and stretch (a calf stretch but with his toes pointing in behind him and also sit and pull toes back).

Interesting. I also overpronate (the wear on the inside of my shoe is proof enough of that) but my last pair of shoes always bugged me, and it was exactly that big wedge feeling on the inside. I moved up to the Ravenna 3 and it doesn't feel so prominent. However, I started having terrible shin pain again. Realized that I moved from a town where the running paths were completely flat to a town that is nothing but hills. Was worried about my 10K on Tgvg and was sure I would get my first DNF b/c of my shins. NO problem, NO pain - not even after. Mostly flat course, with just 2 serious hills thrown in, but it was an uphill without a steep downhill on the other side. So, now realizing that even though I am in shape, I am NOT invincible and need to stick to the flat lands!

I'm signed up, as is my dh. We were still on that runner's high after completing the W&D and signed up last week at the 97% mark.

I ran the W&D as my first 1/2 marathon ever as a challenge for turning 50. Love it so much! Hope I'm still running at 100! Couldn't train as needed the prior 2 months before the race due to injury but still managed to complete it at a fast walk with a little interval running. They were 16 minute miles but now I have something to beat.

This week (after 1 week off and another week of just walking) I jumped back into the Jeff Galloway schedule to end with the Princess. Yesterday was the 3 mile run day and it felt good to push the last mile. Would love to get down to a 12 -13 pacing by Feb.

Need to order new shoes this week.

That's awesome! I'm 42 and have several friends who are just a little older than me think that they are "too old". Never! I didn't even start until I was about to turn 40! My Princess partner and I are planning our Coast to Coast assault in 2014 when she turns 50!

This happened to me too. I was measuring for a stability shoe and I tried 4 different pairs before we figured out that I needed a neutral shoe. Luckily I went somewhere that gives you a 15 day trial and if they don't work you can bring them back.

The sports doc also gave me some exercises to do. One of them is to stand on a step with your heels hanging over the back, rise up on your toes and pick one leg up and slowly lower yourself back down on that one leg (then do the other leg). Do 10 reps and then point your toes inward and do the same thing (this one was a little painful for me at first).

Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to try this when my calves are feeling tight.

As a beginning runner DH and I hired a running coach who laid out a very specific workout schedule that builds us up and then tapers off a week before the PHM. I like having a chart to work on my goals !:)

Here's where I need some advice from my fellow Princess and veteran runners. Having issues with aerobic capacity while running. Feel like my heart and lungs are going to burst so I do walking intervals and start running again ( or thunder thigh thumping as I call it!). Doesn't seem to get any better the longer I train. Not a smoker, no known lung/heart issues. I'm 5"4 , XS, and 45. Is it just how it is for beginners ?

Sometimes. It also depends on where you are as well - weather can play into that. All the plans I've seen say that if you can't speak naturally on a long run, then you are pushing your pace too hard. Check with your coach, but I would say maybe ease back on your pace until you get past this feeling.

Can't believe we are so close! Princesses, you just don't know how much I look forward to this trip. This will be my 3rd girls-only Princess weekend and I love it. I have been saving practically since we got home last year and have the $$ for all the fixed expenses. Am asking for Disney gift cards for Christmas to help pay for food in the parks. It's such a relief knowing that I've got it covered, and it takes away some of the guilt about going on such an expensive trip without taking the family. I've been Queen of the Substitutes at the preschool where I work!

Moon Faerie, hope you are feeling better again soon!

I agree you are never to old to start. 8 weeks ago I would have said you were crazy if you thought I'd run a 5k not to mention 13.1 miles. Then my DD challenged me to the princess and I told her "I'd try". In the 8 weeks I went from a pace of 22 to 12:30 and run in 2 5k's. The concern I have now is my pace seems to be slowing. I'm using Galloway 13.1 but I've dropped to a 14 min pace on my last 2 workouts. One was 8 miles, today's was 3 miles. Any suggestions? Or is this slump normal. I feel good during the workout and am surprised it is so slow when I've finished. I almost forgot I am 57 and have never ever run before.

I was so confused on where the thread went! Can you add me to the list too?

I'm slightly freaking out how close we are, and that it seems most people are starting their training plans. I was out 3.5 weeks for surgery, and so my longest run recently was the 5k on Thanksgiving.mi did 2 miles today and it wasn't easy. I'm nervous. I need to be up to 4 miles soon. Panic attack to start now.

In other news, I have my entire costume picked out and ordered! Woohoo!

@BSKElley07 sent you a PM about the NWM 1/2 decided to throw my name in the hat and run if the team gets pulled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

Gone for a few days and you all up and move on me! Sitting at MCO right now waiting to fly home :( we had such a fun trip...as I suspected, I did not get a run in. But I did tons of walking and I have the blisters to prove it! I'm glad I got my long run in before we left. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! The Fairy Godmother says she can't wait to see us all at the start line!

Oh and I waited in a 35 minute line to lunch at Be Our Guest Friday...I know a lot of us are celebrating there after the race...it was spectacular! I can't wait for dinner there :)

MRS AR said:
I agree you are never to old to start. 8 weeks ago I would have said you were crazy if you thought I'd run a 5k not to mention 13.1 miles. Then my DD challenged me to the princess and I told her "I'd try". In the 8 weeks I went from a pace of 22 to 12:30 and run in 2 5k's. The concern I have now is my pace seems to be slowing. I'm using Galloway 13.1 but I've dropped to a 14 min pace on my last 2 workouts. One was 8 miles, today's was 3 miles. Any suggestions? Or is this slump normal. I feel good during the workout and am surprised it is so slow when I've finished. I almost forgot I am 57 and have never ever run before.

Your long runs are supposed to be 1.5-2 min slower than your normal pace for training. So I think you are right on track!

rosermama said:
I love BLT

This will be the first trip to FL in a long time where we don't make a side trip to Miami. We love to go down for dinner and I really love to get me some guava pastries from Versailles in Little Havana

Lol omg yes I love those.. I love BLT it's our home resort and we try to stay there any time we can( DVC MEMBERS) I love the top of the world lounge. Rosermama feel free to add me on FB if you want I'm under Jennifer Bennett and also in the FB group for princess half.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

longhorns2 said:
Your long runs are supposed to be 1.5-2 min slower than your normal pace for training. So I think you are right on track!

Thanks I was getting scared.

I know this was from the end of the last thread about running etiquette, but if you have not listened to the Mickey Miles Podcast, check it out. They did to episodes on running etiquette. In general it is n awesome podcast all about running at Disney.

I know this was from the end of the last thread about running etiquette, but if you have not listened to the Mickey Miles Podcast, check it out. They did to episodes on running etiquette. In general it is n awesome podcast all about running at Disney.

I know I need to watch where I send my snot rockets! :lmao: Usually I end up hitting myself :crazy2:

Jbennett5466 said:
Lol omg yes I love those.. I love BLT it's our home resort and we try to stay there any time we can( DVC MEMBERS) I love the top of the world lounge. Rosermama feel free to add me on FB if you want I'm under Jennifer Bennett and also in the FB group for princess half.

Sounds great I will look you up on facebook. Are you traveling alone? My husband is coming with me. BLT is our home resort also this is our 3rd time staying there but first time to walk to MK cant wait.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards

rosermama said:
Sounds great I will look you up on facebook. Are you traveling alone? My husband is coming with me. BLT is our home resort also this is our 3rd time staying there but first time to walk to MK cant wait.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards

Yes my husband and 3 toddlers are traveling with me but will be running solo

Jbennett5466 said:
Yes my husband and 3 toddlers are traveling with me but will be running solo ?de12.. Yes It's awesome when we stay at BLT especially with our 3 toddlers it's so convenient to just be able to walk to MK.. Are you running with your hubby or solo?

Running with my husband we are running both the PHM and the Tinkerbell to get our C2C. I am really working on being healthy so we can have a baby this will be my crowning achievment in my health crusade.

rosermama said:
Running with my husband we are running both the PHM and the Tinkerbell to get our C2C. I am really working on being healthy so we can have a baby this will be my crowning achievment in my health crusade.

Wow, that's awesome. I wish I could do the C2C maybe sometime in the future.. Hope to see you @ PHM..

One of the side effects of the Cipro is tendon problems all the way up to tendon rupture, and it can happen even MONTHS after I stop taking it. I can't imagine feeling up to running at all while I'm still on the antibiotics, and even after I'm done with them, I'll have to be careful.
Be very, VERY careful with Cipro! I already had damage to my left Achilles and Cipro made it much worse in only a matter of days. Sadly, it really did take months to clear my system. Just be extra aware of any little pings and twinges. And feel better soon!

Soooo curious, is anyone else switching to an actual training program?
I've readjusted my training plan a gazillion times at this point and I think I've got a winner ("winning" meaning that I manage to cross the finish line without injury!) by blending some Galloway with some Higdon. Here's hoping...

Having issues with aerobic capacity while running. Feel like my heart and lungs are going to burst so I do walking intervals and start running again ( or thunder thigh thumping as I call it!). Doesn't seem to get any better the longer I train. Not a smoker, no known lung/heart issues. I'm 5"4 , XS, and 45. Is it just how it is for beginners ?
Exercise-induced asthma, maybe? I've had it all of my life. Feels much like you describe and I'll add that in cold air, especially, my lungs feel like they're burning. I take two puffs of Albuterol before aerobic exercise and it helps a lot.

Hi again, Princesses! :wave: I took a while, but I'm all caught up after spending last week at WDW.

Where are my fellow ITBS sufferers? I'm happy to say that I finally see some light at the end of this stupidly painful tunnel! I've been seeing a chiropractor who treats a lot of runners and she's been a huge help. After 3 weeks off running entirely, I decided to give it a whirl on Thanksgiving... my son and I did the nature trail between the Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness, then looped through Ft. Wilderness with a stop to visit the horses before retracing our steps - total of 2.3 miles. I did 2:00walk/:30run intervals for most of it, but ran most of the last 1/2 mile - I felt GREAT! No pain at all. :banana: I did the same intervals on Sat., plus walked all of the first 3/4 mile and completed 3.1 without pain, too.

Soooo... figuring it's very possible that I'll need to do a lot of walking to finish the Princess Half, my new plan is to keep a fair amount of walking in my training runs unless or until I feel like I can run more without inducing pain. I'll stick to the 2:00/:30 intervals this week and assess after that. I'm just so happy to be running at all! :goodvibes

Well I know it is that time as we get deep into training and everyone starts talking injuries! I have a question for you all...I have been having some pain on the ball of my right foot during longer runs. It has been off and on for a while, sometimes late into long runs (18-20K) and sometimes I don't feel it at all. But a week ago I raced a 10-miler and it really hurt during the last 5K or so (I was running faster than a normal training run so it may have been the combo of distance plus speed which are normally exclusive!). I took the week off running afterwards and switched to shoes with a gel cushion, thinking I may just need more cushion and support. (I was already planning to switch and just waiting for the 10-miler to be over.) I ran 16K this weekend and felt good for most of it, but I could still feel a bit of pain near the end of the run.

Just wondered if anyone else has suffered from pain on the ball of the foot? Any other ideas as to what I can do? Nothing looks to be wrong from the outside, nothing swollen etc. But I am a bit worried about it.

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

Hi again, Princesses! :wave: I took a while, but I'm all caught up after spending last week at WDW.

Where are my fellow ITBS sufferers? I'm happy to say that I finally see some light at the end of this stupidly painful tunnel! I've been seeing a chiropractor who treats a lot of runners and she's been a huge help. After 3 weeks off running entirely, I decided to give it a whirl on Thanksgiving... my son and I did the nature trail between the Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness, then looped through Ft. Wilderness with a stop to visit the horses before retracing our steps - total of 2.3 miles. I did 2:00walk/:30run intervals for most of it, but ran most of the last 1/2 mile - I felt GREAT! No pain at all. :banana: I did the same intervals on Sat., plus walked all of the first 3/4 mile and completed 3.1 without pain, too.

Soooo... figuring it's very possible that I'll need to do a lot of walking to finish the Princess Half, my new plan is to keep a fair amount of walking in my training runs unless or until I feel like I can run more without inducing pain. I'll stick to the 2:00/:30 intervals this week and assess after that. I'm just so happy to be running at all! :goodvibes

Sounds like some good news finally for you!!! :thumbsup2

Well I know it is that time as we get deep into training and everyone starts talking injuries! I have a question for you all...I have been having some pain on the ball of my right foot during longer runs. It has been off and on for a while, sometimes late into long runs (18-20K) and sometimes I don't feel it at all. But a week ago I raced a 10-miler and it really hurt during the last 5K or so (I was running faster than a normal training run so it may have been the combo of distance plus speed which are normally exclusive!). I took the week off running afterwards and switched to shoes with a gel cushion, thinking I may just need more cushion and support. (I was already planning to switch and just waiting for the 10-miler to be over.) I ran 16K this weekend and felt good for most of it, but I could still feel a bit of pain near the end of the run.

Just wondered if anyone else has suffered from pain on the ball of the foot? Any other ideas as to what I can do? Nothing looks to be wrong from the outside, nothing swollen etc. But I am a bit worried about it.

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

I hope someone has some insight for you! That does not sound like fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter