Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Are any rides typically open for the half? I've heard Everest is open during the full. Can't imagine I'll have extra time to go on rides during the half, but if by chance I end up being faster than normal on the way to the MK it might be fun to hop on a ride!

As far as I know, no rides are open because the parks are still closed. Runners can ride Everest during the full because it's open for regular park hours.

Well, I had my first race related dream. On the positive side, it was that I had finished the marathon and kept wondering about "how weird it was that it hadn't been harder". I kept thinking "that's wrong it's supposed to be hard" but at the same time had a huge feeling of gratitude and relief for the fact that it hadn't! :lmao:

Here's to that dream coming true (and no nightmares popping up!)!!! :goodvibes

Tapering is starting to get to me a little bit...I found this article on RunnersWorld.com yesterday ("Taper Traps") that was really reassuring so I thought I would post it here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps?page=single

For me personally, I can relate to Craving Carbs, Pressure to Perform, Recovery Rebound (as of this morning), Phantom Pains and the Heavy Legs ones. Again, reassuring to read this and see that it's NORMAL. And this is my 3rd time tapering for a marathon! I'm sure this stuff has happened to me before and I just forgot. :confused3

Also, my friend sent me this awesome video yesterday that shows the marathon course - it's a combination of "on the ground" shots and the course flyover runDisney posted in 2013. It gave me goosebumps to watch it and this video, combined with reading more about tapering, has me pretty excited for next weekend (!!). :goodvibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8aXaFeb28&app=desktop

Thank you for both of these. :) The article is something I really needed to read right now. It's weird how your mind and body can mess with you during the taper period! I started my taper early involuntarily (flu) so already went through the Craving Carbs and Heavy Legs (I was wondering what the heck that was about!). Now I'm dreading the Phantom Pains... I just know it will get me!

And the video got me pretty excited about the race again! To the point where without having taken one step on the race I caught myself wondering if I could do it all over again in 2016, and whether doing Goofy would be so hard. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, no rides are open because the parks are still closed. Runners can ride Everest during the full because it's open for regular park hours.

So if you make it to EE (around 13.1 miles) before the park opens at 9 am, it's not open, right?
Do the open any of the rides closer to the finish line (like in HS)?

So if you make it to EE (around 13.1 miles) before the park opens at 9 am, it's not open, right? Do the open any of the rides closer to the finish line (like in HS)?

Right. I have heard rumors of them opening a few minutes early if they are ready, but this will be my first full, so I can't say for sure. I have never heard of runners riding any rides in HS so I don't really know.

I am planning to run the first half extra slow so I can ride Everest!

So if you make it to EE (around 13.1 miles) before the park opens at 9 am, it's not open, right? Do the open any of the rides closer to the finish line (like in HS)?
If you get to any park after they open, the rides will be open too. The EE coaster is the easiest one to ride because you run right past it. The ones in DHS aren't quite as close to the course and require a detour.

Right. I have heard rumors of them opening a few minutes early if they are ready, but this will be my first full, so I can't say for sure. I have never heard of runners riding any rides in HS so I don't really know. I am planning to run the first half extra slow so I can ride Everest!
Unless you normally run extra slow, I'd advise against this. Changing your pace by slowing down significantly can be very painful & uncomfortable if you're not used to it. A better option would be to move back several corrals and run at your normal pace.

I've mentioned it before, but I'd suggest not taking it for granted that you can ride Expedition Everest or any other possible rides along the back part of the route.

Before 2013 I read some accounts of CMs reportedly allowing runners onto the ride quicker to help them get back to the race sooner, but I've seen accounts since then where runners were surprised that CMs did not make any extra efforts to assist runners in getting on the ride sooner. It could be as simple as different CMs handling runners differently at a particular time, but the possibility also exists that Disney could instruct CMs to not allow runners onto the rides as we are accessing the park without a confirmed ticket (admission is not part of the race fee) and guests could complain about riding after a sweatier-than-normal runner.

There's nothing to indicate this has happened or is imminent, but especially with some of the other changes that have been implemented in the past year or so I think it's good for runners to have in the back of their minds in case they do run into a different experience on race day.

I love Lee! His video is just what I needed right now to stay on track and focus on the rest of my training. Thanks for sharing!! :banana::woohoo::cool1:
Love Lee Hoedl! Those are the videos I mentioned earlier! Since our weather turned too cold to run outside, I've chrome casted Lee's videos (he has tons on youtube) for all of my treadmill runs in the basement. I've run anywhere from 10 - 21 miles on that treadmill every weekend for the past few months while watching Lee's videos. His half marathon video from 2012 with his son (I'm guessing that's his son) makes me laugh - that's what my teenager looks like when leaving the resort for a runDisney event. Although it looked like Lee's kid was actually wearing all his clothes when leaving the room AND had a bag packed.
Yeah I am definitely a fan of his now!! Love those videos. pixarmom that's a great idea for when you're running on the treadmill! :thumbsup2
Ariel, just clicked on your trip report to see your Minnie marathon outfit and WE ARE TWINS. Almost exact. My top is looks exactly the same, but it's an Athleta chi tank in black. And my skirt is the exact same print, but made by iglow running on etsy. Although my headband is a sparkly soul red headband - I was two seconds away from ordering the polka dot, but wasn't sure it would match the skirt. Too funny! Not like it's crazy that two people would have a Minnie-themed run outfit at a Disney race, but those pieces are nearly identical!
Well then I must say that you have excellent taste!! :banana: I bet you're right that we will not be the only Minnies on the course, though...
Are any rides typically open for the half? I've heard Everest is open during the full. Can't imagine I'll have extra time to go on rides during the half, but if by chance I end up being faster than normal on the way to the MK it might be fun to hop on a ride!
I don't remember any rides being open during the half in 2013...it's possible that they could change things, but I wouldn't bank on it. :confused3
Thank you for posting this...This will be my first RD 10k & half and now I'm pumped!!
Woohoo!! :yay:
:) Two or three days before the Disneyland Half I hurt myself during a stretch-out run during which I, why did I do this, started skipping.* I was barely walking once I got home. I was hiding it from my brother because he was running with me and he had paid all this money to run in it and I knew he wouldn't do it if I wasn't going to start, etc. I finally confessed (because I needed to use the ice pack in his fridge). He really sweetly and gently let me know that it's very very common to have very scary pains shortly before runs like that. And he was right.

*goodness, I'm 45, I should NOT be skipping! what was I thinking?
:rotfl2: I'm sorry, I'm sure that was incredibly panicky for you but I had to laugh at that one!! :)
Well, I had my first race related dream. On the positive side, it was that I had finished the marathon and kept wondering about "how weird it was that it hadn't been harder". I kept thinking "that's wrong it's supposed to be hard" but at the same time had a huge feeling of gratitude and relief for the fact that it hadn't! :lmao:

Here's to that dream coming true (and no nightmares popping up!)!!!
Yeah, that sounds like an awesome dream!
Thank you for both of these. :) The article is something I really needed to read right now. It's weird how your mind and body can mess with you during the taper period! I started my taper early involuntarily (flu) so already went through the Craving Carbs and Heavy Legs (I was wondering what the heck that was about!). Now I'm dreading the Phantom Pains... I just know it will get me!

And the video got me pretty excited about the race again! To the point where without having taken one step on the race I caught myself wondering if I could do it all over again in 2016, and whether doing Goofy would be so hard. :rolleyes:
:) The internet CAN be used for good from time to time!
So if you make it to EE (around 13.1 miles) before the park opens at 9 am, it's not open, right?
Do the open any of the rides closer to the finish line (like in HS)?
HS would be open and operational by then (at least it was for me, in the middle-back of the pack). As for Everest, I took this picture when I was going by in 2013...
IMG_0679.JPG

You can see the FP return clock says 8:52AM, so they weren't letting the runners on just yet.

My (unsolicited) 2 cents on riding Everest during the marathon: I thought about doing it in 2012, the first time I ran the WDW marathon and it didn't happen. As I've thought about it more I don't think it's something I'll ever actually do. I'm pretty sure I've said this in this thread before, but sitting down for that amount of time at that point in the race/weekend would be too risky for me (I know my legs would tighten up and would feel AWFUL afterward). And maybe it's me getting older, but I can only handle Everest once on a regular day in the park - I might really be done for the day after riding it 13 miles into the marathon. :confused3

Overall I definitely think it would be cool to say I did it, but for me, it's too risky - I'd rather save those extra 10 minute or so for another character photo op, or for extra cushion since rD is cracking down on the challenge runners. :)

Since we are pretty slow runners and start at the middle-back of the pack, Everest has been running both times we ran by it. I think in both cases we were running through the park shortly after it opened. The first year I was too worried about finishing to really pay much attention, but last year I briefly considered riding it but knew nobody else in our little group of 4 would want to do it. As we went past it, there was a CM by the fastpass entrance waving runners over to the ride and saying they could get on with no wait. So, I think it's likely variable from year to year but if you want to ride it, just be paying close attention as you go by to see if it is worth it for you.

Sadly no - the MK won't be open yet when we run through in the half. (Or the full, for that matter.)

If you get to any park after they open, the rides will be open too. The EE coaster is the easiest one to ride because you run right past it. The ones in DHS aren't quite as close to the course and require a detour. Unless you normally run extra slow, I'd advise against this. Changing your pace by slowing down significantly can be very painful & uncomfortable if you're not used to it. A better option would be to move back several corrals and run at your normal pace.
I plan to use the character stops to add overall time, that and stopping to stretch my injury, combined with our corral, should make it all work out...hopefully!

I've done lots of careful math to try and avoid that exact problem of hurting myself running too slow, haha

Because skipping is fun!? :goodvibes I get it. 3 weeks before the 2012 Goofy (unofficial Dopey), at age 48, I took a trapeze class and partially tore one of my glutes! (and a rotator cuff):rolleyes2

Tore a glute? Wow that must have hurt.

It was fun at that moment. I was feeling the music and was running back to my walking DH and DS and there I was.

Over the summer I met a woman who broke her foot with one jumping jack. Gotta be careful!

Unless you normally run extra slow, I'd advise against this. Changing your pace by slowing down significantly can be very painful & uncomfortable if you're not used to it.

So true. My brother doubled his normal time by pacing with me, and ended up with all sorts of pains that aren't normal for him at DL half. My friend ran with me at w&d and while she was just half hour over her normal time because of me, she too had pain she didn't have two weeks later doing the Seattle Half at her own faster pace!

Since this is my first full and doing Goofy i am not planing on hitting EE as i go by. I hope i trained enough to maintain a 12:30 pace. I have created a Disney soundtrack list of parades, attractions and fireworks shows to help me get thru this. This almost old man needs all the help i can get.

Does anyone else do all disney music?

Here is my list.
Mile and the soundtrack playing

1 - Listen To The Land, Making Memories, and Flight into Imagination
2 - Universe of Energy and MK Monorail loop
3 - The Kitchen Kabaret
4 - Food Rocks
5 - Magic Kingdom Welcome show
6 - Main Street Electrical Parade (will be entering the MK here)
7 1/2 - Haunted Mansion
9 1/2 - SpectroMagic
12 - Wishes and O'Canada
13 - Animal Kingdom Jammin Jungle Parade (entering AK)
14 1/2 - Reflection of Earth
15 1/2 - Boo To You Parade
17 - Hallowishes and Tomorrow's Child
19 - Celebrate The Magic (WDW 25th Anniversary) Need the upbeat parades to get me from AK to HS
20 - Celebrate A Dream Parade
21 - Celebrate A Dream Parade
22 - Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Party (Disneyland version)
23 - Fantasmic (entering HS)
24 - Fantasmic
25 - Tapestry of Nations (entering Epcot resort area)
26 - Tapestry of Nations (hopefully crossing the finish as this finishes playing.)

You guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed right now. I have been a mental basket case today, just thinking about the race...

1. I had a dream that in the middle of the race, I was forced to sit down and finish all my Christmas Thank You notes.... which set me way off my goal time.

2. My co-worker has been messing with me, saying that I shouldn't even come back if I can't run it in under "XXX" time. (He's only half kidding)

3. I tweaked my lower hamstring or a tendon behind my knee. First injury of training, UGH.

4. Everything. Hurts.

5. If I encounter sugary foods, I eat them. No will power at all.

6. I am in total hypochondriac mode!!!!

7. My last long run was over 3 weeks ago

That's all. Thanks for listening and sharing your stories!!! I'll try to relax knowing that we are all a little kooky with less than 2 weeks to go!

Since this is my first full and doing Goofy i am not planing on hitting EE as i go by. I hope i trained enough to maintain a 12:30 pace. I have created a Disney soundtrack list of parades, attractions and fireworks shows to help me get thru this. This almost old man needs all the help i can get.

Does anyone else do all disney music?

Here is my list.
Mile and the soundtrack playing

1 - Listen To The Land, Making Memories, and Flight into Imagination
2 - Universe of Energy and MK Monorail loop
3 - The Kitchen Kabaret
4 - Food Rocks
5 - Magic Kingdom Welcome show
6 - Main Street Electrical Parade (will be entering the MK here)
7 1/2 - Haunted Mansion
9 1/2 - SpectroMagic
12 - Wishes and O'Canada
13 - Animal Kingdom Jammin Jungle Parade (entering AK)
14 1/2 - Reflection of Earth
15 1/2 - Boo To You Parade
17 - Hallowishes and Tomorrow's Child
19 - Celebrate The Magic (WDW 25th Anniversary) Need the upbeat parades to get me from AK to HS
20 - Celebrate A Dream Parade
21 - Celebrate A Dream Parade
22 - Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Party (Disneyland version)
23 - Fantasmic (entering HS)
24 - Fantasmic
25 - Tapestry of Nations (entering Epcot resort area)
26 - Tapestry of Nations (hopefully crossing the finish as this finishes playing.)

I bow down to you and your organization. I also want to send you my Shuffle so you can do that for me, too.

I can't even get enough music on mine to not have to repeat for my slow slow Half pace.

I should think about getting more music on there....

You guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed right now. I have been a mental basket case today, just thinking about the race...

1. I had a dream that in the middle of the race, I was forced to sit down and finish all my Christmas Thank You notes.... which set me way off my goal time.

Oh you poor thing.

2. My co-worker has been messing with me, saying that I shouldn't even come back if I can't run it in under "XXX" time. (He's only half kidding)

Grr at that guy.

3. I tweaked my lower hamstring or a tendon behind my knee. First injury of training, UGH.

4. Everything. Hurts.

About the above 4, now you know that it's Taper Time! :)

That's all. Thanks for listening and sharing your stories!!! I'll try to relax knowing that we are all a little kooky with less than 2 weeks to go!

:)

I hope your injury heals quickly!
4. Everything. Hurts.

On #6, I just realized that that's also me! I don't even want to visit family before the trip due to fear of someone picking something up before the trip. ... I know... I'm in paranoia mode. :rolleyes:

Then again, all 4 of us just went through the flu last week (so much fun... not! :sick:) and the weekend was topped off with a UTI for our 9 year old. So maybe my hypochondriac-ness is somewhat justified? :confused3

16 degrees out and I got my 6 mile run in.

Can I go to Florida yet?? :cool1:

16° is downright balmy...it's a -2°F windchill here in Canada right now, but it should be up to 0° by the time I go for my 10K later on this morning :sad2:

To think I was out running in shorts just a few days ago...Florida weather can't come soon enough!

16° is downright balmy...it's a -2°F windchill here in Canada right now, but it should be up to 0° by the time I go for my 10K later on this morning :sad2:

To think I was out running in shorts just a few days ago...Florida weather can't come soon enough!

It's 70 and raining this morning in central Florida. Be careful what you wish for. ;)

We are all set for the 5k but I simply STOPPED working out for the holidays. Cannot tell you why. Only going to the gym today because I have to get my shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter