Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I ran the full in 2013. Unfortunately due to my husband being laid off for 16 mo I couldn't run this year. Now I'm in for 2015. Either Goofy or just the marathon. It depends if the computer gods at the NYC marathon pick me or not.

After 5 half marathons, my wife and I think 2015 will be Our Time for a full. We are excited, scared, resolute, and ready for the challenge. We are committed to losing weight and putting in the training.

So... Someone talk us out of it? Please? :)

Doug

Sorry Doug, but you're better positioned than we were already! We ran our first half marathon in October 2012 as part of our Goofy training program, with Donald being our second ever half marathon and Mickey being our first ever full. If we can do that with the proper training, and you're starting with 5 half marathons under your belt, you can probably swing it! :thumbsup2

It's a Facebook group. I think there are close to 1000 of us now.

I'm one of them and unfortunately as much fun as I had doing the Dopey this year, I think I'm done. I'm not saying that I would never do it again, but I won't be doing it in 2015. It's Goofy for me. The biggest challenge of adding the 5k and 10k onto Goofy is getting up so early for 2 extra days. If they could somehow change it so that the races started later in the morning, then I'd certainly do it again.

I see Dopey as being a one-time-only thing for me in 2015.* I ran the 5K + Goofy in 2013 and I agree with what everyone else was saying - the multiple early wake-ups were killer and it was definitely NOT a vacation! But I'm definitely looking forward to January 2015. :goodvibes

*Of course, I say that now but I also said 2012 would be my one and only marathon and here I am talking about running #3...:p

Dopey Challenge, and yes, it's a public group. Anyone can join. We're a little rowdy but fun.

A little???:rotfl2:

Actually, it's a great group of people and so supportive of everyone in the group! Much like the people on this board! I just hope I don't get kicked out for only doing Goofy next year.

My birthday fell on the marathon day this year so my trip coincidentally fell on the same weekend. I admit I felt like I was in the minority that I didn't have a medal of some kind to wear at some point of my trip! My cousins and I were already planning on doing the 5K together next year as a kind of family reunion with a few others, and while I don't think I could join the few planning on the full marathon, I want to try the 10K or possibly the half! I've never done either before so we'll see. I have a couple more months to decide. :goodvibes

Since my husband is now officially addicted to disney races, we will be in again for most likely "just" the half in 2015.

After Dopey this year, and the expense of traveling from the west coast, I wasn't plan on going to marathon weekend next year.

Except... I keep thinking about how cool the 10th anniversary goofy medal is likely going to be... Decisions, decisions...

I just want to say I am glad I found this thread! 2014 was my first marathon and I will be back for Goofy!! You all make me laugh with "just" the half or "just" the marathon. Y'all know better!! :rotfl2:

This year was my first Marathon ever, and I was SO happy with how it went!! :banana: So, I'm planning on going Goofy for 2015!!

My husband did Dopey this year, and agrees with the 4-in-a-row wake up calls - they were brutal! He's concentrating on getting faster in his Marathon time, for his ultimate goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon in a few years, so just the Marathon for him in 2015 :)

John VN - I got to see you on the way in to Magic Kingdom during the Marathon - I was so happy to be able to say hi to a Diser out there! :)

Hi all. I just read that registration for 2015 marathon weekend opens on 4/22. DH loves the idea of the Dopey challenge, but I'm trying to convince him to do "just" the marathon since I want to run the 10k and we'll have DD (11) with us. How quickly do the races fill up? Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this will be our first time participating in marathon weekend and we haven't been to WDW in years!

Hi all. I just read that registration for 2015 marathon weekend opens on 4/22. DH loves the idea of the Dopey challenge, but I'm trying to convince him to do "just" the marathon since I want to run the 10k and we'll have DD (11) with us. How quickly do the races fill up? Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend? Sorry for the basic questions, but this will be our first time participating in marathon weekend and we haven't been to WDW in years!
It's hard to tell when races will sell out. I don't remember when they sold out last year but it was the fastest ever, by a good amount. I'm thinking it'll sell out even faster this year with people trying not to get locked out again. I'd try to decide ASAP and register 4/22, it's the only way to ensure you get what you want.
As for resort reservations there will be plenty of rooms but maybe not exactly what you want (resort, view, price, etc). Again the sooner the better. If you're going through Disney you only need put a deposit down now so you can keep saving. And if/when a discount comes out later you can just call and have it applied.
Good luck with you're decision making :-)

I've been debating back and forth how I want to go about getting my first C2C in 2015 and with Tinker Bell getting pushed back a few months I've had a few people try and talk me into doing my first full (and getting my C2C on my home turf). I've been nervous to take the leap and at some point just have to do it. So right now, I want to say yes to the full. It's just gonna depend on finances, flying out from CA. Darn my taxes this year. Definitely not getting enough back to put aside so I could make it happen.

I've been doing 1/2's for a few years now, but the thought of a full is just daunting to me. But the 1/2 felt the same way before I finally made that decision.

Be prepared to feel left out on Sunday morning as the marathoners are doing battle. Also be prepared to feel wimpy in your half shirt on Sunday. (Not that anyone made me feel that way, it was all my doing.)

Ha! I felt wimpy for just having a marathon shirt and medal. I felt like I was surrounded by Goofy's and Dopey's!

I would love to try Goofy in 2015, but I am still undecided about doing another full. I don't think I trained well this time around, either that or the heat just got to me. I really struggled the last 6-7 miles.

I may wait to decide until right before it sells out. I'm also not sure I can afford the trip again. Even just going down for a long weekend is expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter