Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

At character stops, do runners have to supply their own cameras? If not, are the photos taken included in MarathonPhoto packages? Disney's photo products? Other?
MarathonFoto photographers are there most of the time...but their photos are VERY expensive and I don't want to take the chance of missing a shot I want if they aren't there, so I carry my own camera.

Disney Photopass photographers are not stationed at every character stop. I don't think you'd see one on the course until you get to a park that's open for the day (possibly Animal Kingdom, DHS or EPCOT). And they'll just be at their regular positions, not at the character stops.

CMs are set up to take photos with runners' cameras so I just bring my own point-and-shoot and hand it off to them. :)

MarathonFoto photographers are there most of the time...but their photos are VERY expensive and I don't want to take the chance of missing a shot I want if they aren't there, so I carry my own camera.

Disney Photopass photographers are not stationed at every character stop. I don't think you'd see one on the course until you get to a park that's open for the day (possibly Animal Kingdom, DHS or EPCOT). And they'll just be at their regular positions, not at the character stops.

CMs are set up to take photos with runners' cameras so I just bring my own point-and-shoot and hand it off to them. :)

Before Phineas and Ferb were in the parks, I stopped to get my picture with them during the Marathon. It was the only picture I wanted and it wound up never showing up in my account.

Further to that, I think people that forget the individualistic nature of the sport kind of come off like meanies or pompous blowhards. I remember reading this story in runners world. A lady sits down on a plane and notices the guy next to her is wearing Brooks Adrenalines. She starts up a conversation with him about running and eventually he asks "so do you run Marathons?" After she responds "once, I mostly race 5k's" he becomes less impressed and reply's "Well Keep at it, you'll get there eventually." He was talking with Laura Fleshman the US 5K champion so I'm pretty sure she already got there...
That is both hilarious and awful. A guy asked my brother our finish time after the 2012 marathon (first for both of us - and why this stranger needed to know our time I'm not sure) and my brother said it took us a little over 6 hours. We just wanted to finish while stopping for almost every character picture - both of those goals were met and we were happy. This guy totally sneered, laughed and said something about, "that must have been a long walk." No disrespect to walkers - I could NEVER walk a marathon!! - but it was clear from his tone that he wasn't being complimentary. I just didn't get the point. This dude was just, well...a meanie, as you say.

Ariel484 and IamTrike:

Thank you for the information and your experiences. Much appreciated :)

Before Phineas and Ferb were in the parks, I stopped to get my picture with them during the Marathon. It was the only picture I wanted and it wound up never showing up in my account.
Ugh!! That stinks. :( Sorry that happened to you.

Carrying the camera isn't ideal but I'm always glad to have it.

I think this is what I like about running in general, but Disney races in particular. It winds up being a great communal celebration of individual triumps. Really at the end of the day each race is our own battle be it 5K or Dopey. We get to come together and encourage each other as we stumble and congratulate each other when we finish.

Agreed! It's the main reason I haven't tried a marathon outside of Disney yet. I feel a little more "accepted" in Disney, plus the course is a lot more entertaining! Although, there's a pretty good chance I am doing Chicago, so we will see!!

Haha thanks...I'm guessing you will have WAY more fun than us!

I was very hesitant in actually "racing" a Disney run, but the timing was perfect for me and it was an excuse (like I needed one) for a Disney trip. It will actually be the first time it's just my wife and I down there on our own!

Enjoy the race Rainbow Skittles :thumbsup2

Thanks! Not a lot of people understand my username, I'm impressed! It's my original AOL (does anyone remember this?? haha) username from when I was in middle school. Back when you were only allowed 10 characters, so I got creative :rotfl:

Very well said. :thumbsup2

My goal is just to make out of Dopey alive, and with lots of pictures. :)

Me too! I think I will be taking a lot of pictures during the half though (at least for the sections that overlap). It will force me to slow down!

That is both hilarious and awful. A guy asked my brother our finish time after the 2012 marathon (first for both of us - and why this stranger needed to know our time I'm not sure) and my brother said it took us a little over 6 hours. We just wanted to finish while stopping for almost every character picture - both of those goals were met and we were happy. This guy totally sneered, laughed and said something about, "that must have been a long walk." No disrespect to walkers - I could NEVER walk a marathon!! - but it was clear from his tone that he wasn't being complimentary. I just didn't get the point. This dude was just, well...a meanie, as you say.

I don't get that mindset at all. Why would someone go out of there way to be derogatory to someone that has clearly accomplished something?

Agreed! It's the main reason I haven't tried a marathon outside of Disney yet. I feel a little more "accepted" in Disney, plus the course is a lot more entertaining! Although, there's a pretty good chance I am doing Chicago, so we will see!!
If I ever decide to do a non-Disney marathon, Chicago would be high on my list, for sure.
Me too! I think I will be taking a lot of pictures during the half though (at least for the sections that overlap). It will force me to slow down!
Good idea. This is just based off of what I remember from Goofy in 2013, but there's a LOT of overlap in the character stops for the first 8 miles or so of the half and marathon. I was a little disappointed by that. But I guess it was good because, like you say, it forced me to slow down for the half and helped me to bank more time for the marathon, because I didn't stop for characters I'd already seen the day before.
I don't get that mindset at all. Why would someone go out of there way to be derogatory to someone that has clearly accomplished something?
Great question! :confused3 I have no idea! And I haven't had that happen again since...it's like for every bad egg out there, there are hundreds of awesome runners that are totally supportive and great. And yet I still remember this stinker almost 3 years later.

I'm not mad about it anymore like I was then, it's just sort of baffling. :confused3

I think I will be taking a lot of pictures during the half though (at least for the sections that overlap). It will force me to slow down!
I did Goofy last year and ran the Half with my wife...we stopped for EVERY character out there (and nearly got swept up in front of GF), and it was well worth it. The next day for the Full the characters were the same until the course changed at the race track, so you can avoid a lot of character stops for the first 8 or 9 miles.
BTW, Chicago was my first marathon...you will have a blast! The course is lined with cheering support from start to finish...incredible experience!!

Great question! :confused3 I have no idea! And I haven't had that happen again since...it's like for every bad egg out there, there are hundreds of awesome runners that are totally supportive and great. And yet I still remember this stinker almost 3 years later. I'm not mad about it anymore like I was then, it's just sort of baffling. :confused3
It's so sad when some people need to tear others down to make themselves feel better. Especially since running a marathon in 6 hours while stopping for all the characters is a great time! And for your first marathon?? That's awesome!! We stopped for all the characters during the Half and took over 4 hours, which placed us 20,189th out of 20,245 finishers...so ya, 6 hours is a rock star performance!

26.2 miles is nothing to sneer about. What a great accomplishment!!!!. You did more in one morning than some do in a lifetime. I've dealt with a few people like that since I've started running. Being short (under 5 feet) and having to step twice for most peoples one step can wear on you. I had one person ask me my time for my half marathon and he said "geez you run slow...I can run a 7 min mile" so of course my response was "oh you've done a half?" he said "no" so I said come see me when you run a half marathon at that pace and we can talk.... gerk!

Keep running guys!!!! :thumbsup2

As much as I wanted to like it (I'm a Furman grad!), the Furman or FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan didn't seem to work for me.

Like most runners, I skipped most of the cross training, so that didn't help. The biggest problem is that the long run distances are way out of wack compared to the total weekly mileage. Your muscles and connecting tissue just don't have the strength they need to withstand the long run and you end up injured.

Maybe for an advanced runner with a base of 30-50 miles a week, the Furman plan could be just what they needed. If you're a lower-mileage runner, I don't think the Furman/FIRST plan is for you.

After 2 years of FIRST Run-Less-Run-Faster, now I'm trying Hanson's Marathon Method. It's a big time commitment, but I can see and feel changes I didn't see before.

All this is conjecture. I'll know for sure in 11 days after Rocket City.

And trust me: OldSlowGoofy Guy is all three!
OldSlowGoofy Guy--you are going to run Rocket City? ME TOO!:thumbsup2

I'm so excited! It will be my first time ever visiting Alabama!

OldSlowGoofy Guy--you are going to run Rocket City? ME TOO!:thumbsup2

I'm so excited! It will be my first time ever visiting Alabama!

My 3rd time at Rocket City. New course and new host hotel this year, but looks to be a great race.

If you see an old guy in the 4:45 corral with Rocket temporary tattoos, say hello!

Based on past years I think I need to run about a 3:12 to qualify. That's a 30+ minute PR for me, which is daunting. My goal is to try and run a couple flat and fast marathons during 2015 and drop my PR about 10 minutes at a time.

I'm assuming your BQ time is 3:15 (M40-44)? I'd be surprised if you need a three-minute buffer for 2016. But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

BTW, the answer when someone asks you how you did is to say that you won.

Marine Corps is also a very good race for those who are worried about feeling accepted. Very runner friendly for all varieties of runner.

Love it. Not sure I could sell that. :)

Marine Corps is also a very good race for those who are worried about feeling accepted. Very runner friendly for all varieties of runner.

That's cool. My brother ran that one year (then got on the Metro which took over an hour, and when he went to get up at his stop he couldn't move...learned to not sit down right after marathons!).

My brother ran that one year (then got on the Metro which took over an hour, and when he went to get up at his stop he couldn't move...learned to not sit down right after marathons!).
Not funny for your brother, but this reminds me of the HIMYM when Barney runs the New York Marathon and then gets stuck on the subway for hours because his legs are so sore he can't get up at his stop. Haha!

20140521-234702-85622090.jpg

I'm assuming your BQ time is 3:15 (M40-44)? I'd be surprised if you need a three-minute buffer for 2016. But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Yup that's a correct guess on my needed finish time. I think the buffer this year was 1.5 minutes ahead of Official BQ time. I just rounded up to 3 minutes for worst case scenario.
Usually my response to "how did you do?" is "Okay". If I'm feeling that they are particularly interested I might say "I hit my goal or missed my goal by a bit". Walking through Time Square after the NY marathon, the underwear cowboy approached me to talk about the marathon. My wife thought it was very funny that he was peppering me with questions about the Marathon I as I walked through time square, moderately uncomfortable to be talking about running with someone that was missing his pants. He was actually a really nice and genuine guy.

I've heard that's a great race. Marine corps, London, City to Surf (Sydney Australia), big Sur, boston and Chicago are all on my bucket list.

Usually my response to "how did you do?" is "Okay". If I'm feeling that they are particularly interested I might say "I hit my goal or missed my goal by a bit". Walking through Time Square after the NY marathon, the underwear cowboy approached me to talk about the marathon. My wife thought it was very funny that he was peppering me with questions about the Marathon I as I walked through time square, moderately uncomfortable to be talking about running with someone that was missing his pants. He was actually a really nice and genuine guy.

Ha!
If I'm not telling people I won, my usual response is either that I'm satisfied with my results or that it wasn't my day. That usually shuts things down pretty quickly.

MCM is a great race, and I'd recommend it to anyone. One word of caution: If you're a mid-packer, the course can be extremely crowded.

Big Sur is on my list as well. I'm informed by DW that I'll be running Boston in 2016 whether I like it or not (I don't really want to). That leaves Berlin, London, Chicago, Pikes Peak, Great Wall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter