Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

I don't buy the sweep argument - less than 200 people swept at a race with 12K runners or whatever doesn't seem to warrant these huge changes. :confused3

I guess they're trying to eliminate most sweeps? I just remember when I went to the expo and complained about the 5k that I was given two reasons for the change: one, people getting swept because they were in line (to which I said why should several thousand people get punished because a couple hundred can't pay attention to their surroundings). The other was course congestion (to which I said there had to be better way to resolve that).

I'm trying to put myself in a person's shoes that was at the back of the pack and I probably would have preferred the course shortened than be swept before mile 8. But then I'd also like to be made aware that was happening so that I could mentally know this wasn't my half marathon even if I finished. I personally would care to know that so that I would hold back on posting all over social media about how I was a HM finisher. It would be a big ol' asterick for me. And then I'd let everyone know I finished the 12.5 mile Tink race or what not. But all people are different.
So my question then...did they tell the people out there what was going on??

The girl I talked to for the last 3 miles of the race was part of the diverted group. She made the point that with the weaving and bobbing she was still getting the 13.1. Which is true for any major weekend. She had some medical stuff going on so she was just grateful to get the chance to finish.

Which I get probably more then most since I've been in the shoes of dealing with a partial diversion though not at Disney. London 2016 I came into after two months of life getting in the way of running (first surgery complication, then I had pnuemonia, I went from being PR fit to being really slow in about two months). I was partially diverted, probably less then half a mile would be my guess. They were letting people walk behind the sweep car as you had until 6 pm local (8 hrs after the gun went off) to cross the finish. However there was a small section that was simply too dangerous to allow runners behind the pace car to do. So when I got to it instead of making the left to do the portion they had a course marshal instructing us to go forward. I still got my medal even if my course was a bit unconventional with all the sidewalk walking. I was the 3rd to last to cross the finish about 6:15 local. Going through my photos you can see the trucks taking everything down as I come up the straight (god bless the two photographers that stuck around). Got my medal, my finisher shirt, and an official time and honestly could care less about the partial cut.

I do want to go back and redo London but not because of the cut course but because I want to experience when I'm actually in better form and get the whole feel for it. I kind of look at the cut like 'Well I was partly cut but considering I went in with the attitude of 'I'm either finishing this or going down swinging.' I'll take the fact I did finish over the smaller details.'

:tinker:It's Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Because we just can't let it go...

Alright pixies! Let's see your favorite race picture(s) from Tink weekend!

---------------

Okay so first...obviously... :yay:

While in line for the fairy photo-op during the half:
34331544890_08c94055b6_o.jpg

I also like this one from the 10K even though I have a slighlty crazy facial expression - I think I look strong and focused, which is something I haven't felt with running for a long time after coming back from injury. :)
34718215845_fab0395e64_o.jpg

:tinker:It's Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Love the feeling of accomplishment of finishing a half and, of course, the bling!!

18519990_1487695254585691_5106071398185752386_n.jpg

RUNDISNEY_DLRMARAACTION21_20170513_401666372589.jpg Ok, count me in this morning that I was a little sad too....where's the Fairy Friday?!? I love this pic the best because I thought I'd be "clever" and do the 6 fingers for the 10 k. Brilliant, I know! :tongue: I had a blast! I am certainly hooked now! And wow, I never thought a year and a half ago that this is something that I could do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter