"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Not surprised. Survey this thread. People are booking 3, 4 and 5 parties. Money is not a worry for them. Add in the frothing for anything marked, 'exclusive' - my god, I could sell tinfoil if I labeled it 'exclusive' and the folks shelling out big $$ for multiple dessert parties for a special place to stand during the parade. Why wouldn't Disney increase the crowds and the $$? From what I read here, most people would easily pay a few hundred $ for a picture with cast members dressed up as certain characters. They're already willing to wait hours of their party time. The impact will be absorbed - people will add a 6th, 7th & 8th party.
Not surprised. Survey this thread. People are booking 3, 4 and 5 parties. Money is not a worry for them. Add in the frothing for anything marked, 'exclusive' - my god, I could sell tinfoil if I labeled it 'exclusive' and the folks shelling out big $$ for multiple dessert parties for a special place to stand during the parade. Why wouldn't Disney increase the crowds and the $$? From what I read here, most people would easily pay a few hundred $ for a picture with cast members dressed up as certain characters. They're already willing to wait hours of their party time. The impact will be absorbed - people will add a 6th, 7th & 8th party.
Some of us are coming from far away (Oregon) for a once every couple of years event. We don't have the opportunity for a bad night. I have one shot at seeing the fireworks for the next 2 years and if that means a dessert party, so be it. We leave in 3 weeks and I'm doing 32 hours of overtime this week. Dinner will be on the cheap for a few weeks. It will all be worth it. I'm already shelling out over $10,000 for this trip......

We found Cruella after the fireworks - She seemed all alone. I kept thinking someone in a good costume could actually pretend to be her...lol
Funny story....last year I dressed as Cruella for one of our parties. Since she was clearly out priority M&G that night, we lined up early and there were maybe a dozen people in front of us. All of a sudden the queue FILLS behind us and someone later told me they all thought Cruella was arriving to the M&G when I walked up! (Of course I didn’t pose for any pictures or sign autographs...but found it funny that they all thought I could pass for the real deal!!)

Some of us are coming from far away (Oregon) for a once every couple of years event. We don't have the opportunity for a bad night. I have one shot at seeing the fireworks for the next 2 years and if that means a dessert party, so be it. We leave in 3 weeks and I'm doing 32 hours of overtime this week. Dinner will be on the cheap for a few weeks. It will all be worth it. I'm already shelling out over $10,000 for this trip......

Disney understands this. That is how they can justify increasing the number of tickets sold.

We went to the party last night (august 28) and had a blast! We are AP holders and went to MK around noon and so glad we did. Weather was indeed hot but we were able to do a lot of rides and also eat at BoG. When we saw the sky take a turn for the worse a bit later, we headed to Pirates for cover. Went on that ride and by the time we came out the worst part of the rain was done, though still lightning and raining hard enough we had to wear our ponchos.

Splash and Big Thunder were walk on's for us after the storm straight through the entire party! We thought the crowds were very manageable. The only ride wait was 7DMT which showed 30-35 minutes every time we checked. We found a front row spot for the 2nd parade at 11:10 in frontier land. Trick or treat lines were long at 7pm but almost nonexistent at 9-10pm.

Oh - and the Villians show at midnight was awesome. It was our first time seeing that. It was even manageable leaving after that show and getting our bus back to BC. It was the longest we've ever stayed at MK (over 12 hours) and the latest we've ever stayed out! Very fun!

This confuses me. Why would those with mnsshp tickets only be segregated from anyone else entering after 4? I have an AP and my grandson has a hopper along with the party ticket, but we want to go through the bypass for the photo ops etc. Is this a waste of time?

I assume they are segregated because cast members need to give wristbands and party stuff ONLY to people who have a party ticket. When people enter the park between 4:00 and 6:00 some of them have party tix and some don’t. Have to separate out the people who are entitled to the party stuff.

When it comes to Disney, different people spend money on different things. For example, I always eat breakfast in my room, but I never criticize people who do character breakfasts. I always buy a (ridiculously expensive) cupcake, and other people eat cookies they brought from home. You should do what’s right for your group and don’t feel like you have to justify your decisions and itinerary to anybody.

We are also in Oregon. While in Florida we just make our plans and go for it, sometimes the weather is better and sometimes it is worse. We originally had a desert party booked, but decided it would take too much valuable time. Have a great trip!

This confuses me. Why would those with mnsshp tickets only be segregated from anyone else entering after 4? I have an AP and my grandson has a hopper along with the party ticket, but we want to go through the bypass for the photo ops etc. Is this a waste of time?

It started for traffic control I believe. It was difficult to have a lot of people flowing into the park at a time when so many are exiting down mainstreet. Then they added handing out the bags, some candy and some photo opportunities to improve entering that way. When it was first done it was kind of a bummer of a way to enter. Now it's still a little bit of a bummer IMO but it's much improved over just walking behind the shops.

I assume this is allowed...if not, please feel free to appropriately discipline me. :) -

Thanks for posting this, I was hoping to catch it since I was at the first party.

I also want to add, I emailed Disney after the 1st party. I felt it was insanely crowded, but I did expect it to be crowded, so wasn't sure if it was the "new normal" for crowds.
When I read it was oversold, I wanted Disney to know that info was out there, and that while we made the best of a crowded situation, we were disappointed in what we couldn't get done, and I really wanted that darn Ooogie Boogie bucket. :)
I just told them in my email that I hope for future parties they add more characters and other party things to help disperse crowds. We wanted to do much more, but had to change our plans up to still enjoy our night...

Disney emailed me back within days, and I just want to say they wanted to "restore the magic and give us a little pixie dust". They did, and while I still have no Oogie Boogie bucket, lol, I do feel they went above and beyond, when I wasn't emailing expecting anything!

My take away, they must be aware of the situation, and hopefully they make it right for the rest of the parties. Maybe not, but here is to hoping for all of you. pixiedust: The Dis plugged guys seem to think the over selling is the new norm, atleast that is what I took away from the video.

Lastnight can't really be used for judgement because of the rain, but hopefully things get better!

Funny story....last year I dressed as Cruella for one of our parties. Since she was clearly out priority M&G that night, we lined up early and there were maybe a dozen people in front of us. All of a sudden the queue FILLS behind us and someone later told me they all thought Cruella was arriving to the M&G when I walked up! (Of course I didn’t pose for any pictures or sign autographs...but found it funny that they all thought I could pass for the real deal!!)

I had something similar happen back in 2006 when I went to MNSSHP for the first time. I was a CM, working as a Cultural Representative in Epcot at the time and went with a friend on our day off. We didn't have proper costumes, but we both had the same cool witches hat and a Potions book that was hollow inside to collect candy as we didn't realise we'd get bags to collect in when we arrived at the park. As for the clothes we were wearing, we were both just wearing black clothes that we already had in out closets, so we didn't even try that hard. We were sitting in the Main Street Bakery when some guests came up to us to ask if we were working there and to compliment our costumes.

billyjobobb, you don't need to defend your spending decisions. The fireworks are important to you, so you've chosen to spend some money to make them more enjoyable for you and your family. We also did the Hallowishes dessert party and, for us, it was the highlight of our party. The desserts were delicious, the CM's were wonderful and to be able to sit and just enjoy the event was great.

LOL!!! This happened to me back in 2006 when we were leaving BWI to go to MNSSHP. We were driving over and waiting for the valet to get our car. I was dressed as Tinkerball - a 35 year-old, brunette Tinkerbell, with a really messy, I-don't-know-how-to-do-my-hair bun - meaning, except for the costume, I looked NOTHING like Tinkerbell. While I was standing there, this woman who was loading her mini-van, squealed and told her three daughters to get out of the car because Tinkerbell was here!!! Oh boy. The girls looked at me with complete skepticism (smart girls), but still came over to get a picture. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to mess with the magic. One of the managers of BWI (who I had met earlier) was standing close by, laughing his butt off. It was freaking hysterical. I didn't say anything (I didn't want to act like Tinkerbell). I just smiled. Then our car pulled up and he asked me why I wasn't flying to MK . . . to this day, I wonder if that family looks at that picture thinking they actually met Tinkerbell.

And if Disney did keep tickets sales low and prices high, folks would still go. Some multiple times to get that premiere experience that everyone seems to be after. Then people would claim they are catering to an elite group and not accessible to all.

In the end, it’s a business. They are here to make money. Some people will choose to spend their earnings on special parties. Other choose expensive lodging. Some choose not to go at all. To each his own!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter