Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

On the subject of sweeping, Balloon Ladies, etc., here's a little something I learned from the Princess 10K last month:
Once the Balloon Ladies pass, the PhotoPass people pack up and leave. I started in A and took my sweet time - I was in line for Pluto at the turn around in EP and saw the Balloon Ladies pass. They yelled out something about "if you want your Spaceship Earth photos..." but I didn't catch all of it and didn't think twice. Until I got up to the customary Big Ball photo spot and saw the PhotoPass people packing up their things. I asked if I could get a picture and they said, "no"; they "were told not to take any more photos once the sweepers passed." So yeah - even after the point at which one isn't really in danger of being swept, there are some good reasons to stay ahead of the sweep! (I still got my Big Ball pic - it just wasn't taken by PhotoPass.)

Hi there. I have been trying to find a star wars costume that I can run in, but I cannot seem to find any. Can anyone recommend a site that I can order from? I live in Canada which makes shipping of some items very expensive. Thank you

Hi there. I have been trying to find a star wars costume that I can run in, but I cannot seem to find any. Can anyone recommend a site that I can order from? I live in Canada which makes shipping of some items very expensive. Thank you
Just FYI: late April in FL is going to be very warm, and probably downright HOT. I won't run in an actual costume in the heat, so I put outfits together out of regular running clothes and might use one or two costume elements, Example: Imperial Officer - black running skirt, black running shirt, rank bar from Etsy, imperial officer hat from Launch Bay in HS. Some people do the full costume thing and they lived to tell about it, so it's not impossible - just uncomfortable, I'd bet, lol! ;)

Do be sure to read the costume guidelines before ordering anything, though, to make sure you'll be in compliance:
Costumes

Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests. All participants and their Guests may dress as their favorite character, but must follow these guidelines as determined solely by Disney.

• Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
  • Guests who dress like Characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
  • Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
  • Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
  • For runDisney participants ages 13 and under:
    • Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
  • For runDisney participants ages 14 and older:
    • Layered costumes, that could conceal prohibited items, are not permitted (e.g. Jedi robes).
    • Costume props, including those that surround the entire body (e.g. Death Star, UP House) are not permitted.
    • Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g. full-length Princess dresses)
    • Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
    • Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
    • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
    • Guests may not wear masks of any kind.

Please note that while costumed attire may be worn during runDisney events, Guests 14 and older are not permitted to wear costumed attire in the theme parks. As a result, Guests may need to change their attire prior to visiting the parks after participating in a runDisney race.

Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, a race or any race related event/activity unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.

My desire to run in costume is arguing with what little free time I have. I may well settle for carrying my lightsaber with my usual training apparel.

If you've never run with a cape before, do so beforehand. Don't worry about how silly you might look. Better to know exactly what you're in for than get an unwelcome surprise on race day. And since a cape will add an extra layer to your attire and make your costume warmer, make sure you're okay with how that feels before the race.

I ignored the never try something new on race day when I ran as Batman being trained by Yoda for 2017 Avengers. The Yoda backpack was a major pain to run with. I think I was adjusting those backpack straps every 2 minutes or so. One of my "best" race photos with just me in it is marred because the frustration on my face from having to adjust the backpack strap on the same side yet again shows up clearly. Along with my hand adjusting the backpack strap. Had I known how much of a pain it would be, I would have found a real solution that I had time to test before the middle of the race or skipped the idea entirely.

As a side note, I got a really good laugh out of the Pixar video showing random fashion models praise E mostly because The Incredibles makes it so clear that E despises fashion models. I wonder who else saw the irony.

It’s a very small cape. Possibly elbow length at the most and attaches/detaches to the tank top straps. I’m running the 10K for photo ops. The half is my “A” race.

I got my stuff from iglowrunning on Etsy.

Just FYI: late April in FL is going to be very warm, and probably downright HOT. I won't run in an actual costume in the heat, so I put outfits together out of regular running clothes and might use one or two costume elements, Example: Imperial Officer - black running skirt, black running shirt, rank bar from Etsy, imperial officer hat from Launch Bay in HS. Some people do the full costume thing and they lived to tell about it, so it's not impossible - just uncomfortable, I'd bet, lol! ;)

Do be sure to read the costume guidelines before ordering anything, though, to make sure you'll be in compliance:

I agree with this! That’s why the costumes I ordered are only sweat wicking tank tops LOL!

Thank you for your advice. I will check out Etsy. I was looking for running tank tops or shirts, but it is really hard to find them without a huge shipping fee to Canada.

This is spot on. With the possible exception of shorts, any part of your race day attire that directly touches your bare skin will likely become very wet with sweat even in cold weather. So as awesome as I might think I look in full Darth Vader armor, do I really want to run with that weight? Even if they allowed me to wear a Darth Vader mask, would I want to run or even walk any race distance with all that additional weight and sweat pouring down my face?

It’s a very small cape. Possibly elbow length at the most and attaches/detaches to the tank top straps. I’m running the 10K for photo ops. The half is my “A” race. I agree with this! That’s why the costumes I ordered are only sweat wicking tank tops LOL!
My Prince Phillip cape from the 2012 Wine & Dine Half was literally a red pillowcase. Lightweight and no big deal if I decided to discard it because it bothered me too much.

I did most of my pictures during the 10K, but there were some photo ops on the half course that were not available on the 10K course. The Ewoks come to mind as well as the Emperor, but he may have been a 501st member.

I know the 501st comes out for this (it is the dark side after all) but do Rebel Legion members make an appearance as well? I am thinking about doing this race weekend next year. I have done Princess the last two years and loved it, but am also a huge Star Wars fan. However, I am definitely #rebelscum :)

Along the course at Dark Side last year I got my photo taken with a Rey cosplayer and a group consisting of Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and a female Jedi. I believe she made her own costume. I did not recognize it from Episodes I-III or The Clone Wars animated series both of which had female Jedi.

In the event Light Side ever returns to Disneyland, that also featured a mix of heroes and villains from Star Wars. During the Inaugural 2015 Star Wars Half, I got a group photo with Darth Vader, Boba Fett, two Imperial Guards, and a stormtrooper all from the 501st out on the course.

I have a quick question. I was registered for the 1/2 marathon, but i have been sick half the winter, so training has been spotty. I don't think I will be able to walk the whole thing fast enough either. Anyway, I saw spots open for the 10K and registered, so how do I complete the transfer from 1/2 marathon to 10K?

I have a quick question. I was registered for the 1/2 marathon, but i have been sick half the winter, so training has been spotty. I don't think I will be able to walk the whole thing fast enough either. Anyway, I saw spots open for the 10K and registered, so how do I complete the transfer from 1/2 marathon to 10K?
They used to have a form you'd fill out that was linked on their website, but I don't see it. You've done the first step, which is to register for your new race. I would email them (try wdwsportsregistration@disney.com, if that doesn't work try the Contact Us page at runDisney.com) and ask them to assist you with completing the transfer.

Assuming they let you (I would hope they would, there's no date deadline posted on the website), they'll refund the registration you paid for the half marathon to the credit card you used, minus a $45 transfer fee.

Thank you! I called and that is what they told me to do as well. If not, I guess I am stuck with 2 races that weekend! EEKK!

I have another question. I had booked myself on property for the half marathon, so I was going to use the buses. HOwever, since I am now doing the 10K, I can't get a reasonable priced room on property for the Friday night. Do you know where I would either park my vehicle or get dropped off for the 10K? Looking back in the thread, it looks like the TTC, but now I am starting to get anxious over this whole thing.

I have another question. I had booked myself on property for the half marathon, so I was going to use the buses. HOwever, since I am now doing the 10K, I can't get a reasonable priced room on property for the Friday night. Do you know where I would either park my vehicle or get dropped off for the 10K? Looking back in the thread, it looks like the TTC, but now I am starting to get anxious over this whole thing.
I believe last year you parked at Epcot and then had to take a bus from there to TTC at least that's how it was at 2017's W&D and that had the same set up at 2017s dark side

I know the 501st comes out for this (it is the dark side after all) but do Rebel Legion members make an appearance as well? I am thinking about doing this race weekend next year. I have done Princess the last two years and loved it, but am also a huge Star Wars fan. However, I am definitely #rebelscum :)
I don't know what groups they were technically, but there were rebels, jedis, sith, bounty hunters, wookies, Rey as mentioned above, bascially a mix of everything & anything out there from cosplayers.

I believe last year you parked at Epcot and then had to take a bus from there to TTC at least that's how it was at 2017's W&D and that had the same set up at 2017s dark side
Yep, this is how it was for Darkside as well.

thank you! I can definitely do that. Unfortunate that they don't put out much information for non resort guests and make it easy to find.

Actually I was able to book the Dolphin for not too bad of a rate. Just hate paying for parking and resort fee.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter