Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Not only do I agree that running through GE won’t happen, I also think the HS portion will be cut down like it was for the marathon. I hope I’m wrong, because I miss running down Sunset and Hollywood.

I'll add that one of the unique things about Disney races IS running thru the parks and as they do route them thru the parks it would appear that they know it. For those stating that Star Wars races or any race isn't about running thru a particular area I'd actually disagree. It was, for us, what made the DL races so much better too. The 5 and 10K's were almost entirely in the parks = extra fun and a difference from the races I can sign up for in our home town.

Yeah, I don't know where people got the expectation that the race course would go through Galaxy's Edge. That seems highly unlikely. If it happens, great, a pleasant surprise. But no one should really be counting on it.
It sort of makes sense. It's a Star Wars race, first one since the new land opened up. I came in thinking they had to do it or else people would be really disappointed (and people will still be disappointed). But having been there (at the DL version), seeing what they've been doing with the past few race routes, and obviously because we see the insane crowds in the morning right now, I'm definitely not expecting it anymore.

I have family that will revolt and will be done with the Star Wars races if they don't have the route go thru Galaxies edge. It is a little crazy if they don't ala Princess not going thru the Castle.
I understand why people think it will be crazy to not have a Star Wars race go through Galaxy's Edge, but the crowds in DHS are insane right now. Right after the park opens, Smugglers Run jumps up to a 2 hour wait at 7:00am. Toy Story Land sees very similar long wait times and the park has been open for all of 5 minutes or less. They need to have runners entirely out of DHS a long time before they start letting guests into the park, let alone the park posted opening time.
Then they will probably revolt. Disney isn't going to have the races go through Galaxy's Edge due to the crowds that enter at the 7AM openings.
If we think course congestion along certain parts of the various courses gets bad, we're about to discover an entirely new meaning of that if they attempt to have runners in Galaxy's Edge even close to park opening.
Honestly, I see a FP for ROTR with each registration as being more likely than any of the races actually running through GE. And there is exactly nothing that indicates any FPs for ROTR will be given, lol!

For those who may be new to these races, the race has never been about running through any SW areas/attractions. This isn't like a PHM that is basically a pinker WDW Half with a few more princesses. SW is the theme for Rival Run and it's everywhere on the courses: SW movie clips on giant screens, official WDW SW character stops, 501st cosplay characters available for interaction and photo stops galore, SW music at every turn. I think if you have your heart set on running through GE, you will be disappointed. But if you approach this as a SW-themed race and embrace that theme, you can't help but have a great time!
I hope they will find some reasonable way to make up for the courses not going through Galaxy's Edge. A FP would be amazing, but I agree that it isn't happening.

And yes, there are some amazing Star Wars moments along the course. The forest battle from Return of the Jedi recreation, the different Star Wars characters on the course, including some nice backdrops. And the cosplay groups provide some incredible photo stops. In 2018, I got a photo with cosplayers dressed as Rey and Kylo Ren together (never happening in the parks) the Emperor, Vader, Guard, stormtroopers, and Imperial officers all together.

I love running through World Showcase with Star Wars music playing. There are a lot of cool Star Wars moments to be had on the course even if we do not run through Galaxy's Edge.
Yeah, I don't know where people got the expectation that the race course would go through Galaxy's Edge. That seems highly unlikely. If it happens, great, a pleasant surprise. But no one should really be counting on it.
I can see where the expectation comes from, but the logistics are very tricky right now especially with the park opening at 7:00am. I think they would have to start the race at DHS and go through Galaxy's Edge first and even then they might have to start the race at 4:30am or earlier.
What I'm secretly hoping for is some kind of after hours party in Galaxy's Edge with tickets only available for race participants to purchase.

I mean, if we're dreaming, right? :-)
I wish they had done this. Similar to the Wine & Dine party.
It sort of makes sense. It's a Star Wars race, first one since the new land opened up. I came in thinking they had to do it or else people would be really disappointed (and people will still be disappointed). But having been there (at the DL version), seeing what they've been doing with the past few race routes, and obviously because we see the insane crowds in the morning right now, I'm definitely not expecting it anymore.
If Disneyland races return, I could see runners get to run through Galaxy's Edge first at Disneyland due to how Disneyland is able to bunch the parks together at the start of the race and have runners well clear long before the park opens.

While I understand the crowding issues - I can’t think of a themed run Disney race that DOESNT run thru it’s appropriate land?

Princess..Wine & Dine...Can you imagine Tower or Terror 10K not going thru DHS?

Disney should delay early opening and do something for race participants to allow them to get BG spots ..not sure if they WILL - but they SHOULD!!

This was me to a T. One of the reasons I signed up for this year in particular was the hope for going through Galaxy's Edge. I've basically given up on that now...it would be great but I get the logistics just won't work. I'm still excited for the race and to see everything they do for the race (it's my first SW Half), even without Galaxy's Edge

While I understand the crowding issues - I can’t think of a themed run Disney race that DOESNT run thru it’s appropriate land?

Princess..Wine & Dine...Can you imagine Tower or Terror 10K not going thru DHS?

Disney should delay early opening and do something for race participants to allow them to get BG spots ..not sure if they WILL - but they SHOULD!!
Wine and Dine is easy because it's about Epcot. So many of the races go through Epcot because it works for this stuff (I've only done DW runs once but all three of them that weekend ended there). I'm not as familiar with the Princess Half but I'm looking at the past maps and it looks like they're all roughly the same? So they've gotten that right and they'll stick to that formula. The challenge is creating a route that gets through GE but minimizes the chaos surrounding GE. It might not be possible.

FWIW I absolutely think they've looked into this. I emailed them about it, I'm sure I'm not the only one, they know. The one thought I had was maybe they START a race in or near HS so you get people through and out, and somehow end at Epcot, where people parked their cars? I dunno. That had come up in this thread but I think ppl who know better said it didn't seem likely to work. A late opening might help, but everyone's been getting there way early for boarding groups and there's no indication that they'll arrive later because the opening is later. There are so many factors that have to go right so we'll see. If it comes down to it maybe I'll keep my gear on after the race and head to HS and powerwalk through an imagined route and pretend it's the actual race, I can even stop at the blue milk station for a refresher.

I too would like to see them do something for runners if they cannot make running through Galaxy's Edge work.
I'm still excited for the race and to see everything they do for the race (it's my first SW Half), even without Galaxy's Edge
They do a great job with all the other Star Wars stuff on this course. There really will be a lot to look forward to even if it does not go through Galaxy's Edge. As much as I want to run through Galaxy's Edge, I do not expect it. I figure in this case, I'm better off expecting it to not happen and then being happily surprised if it does.

The only way it goes through galaxy edge is if they run it in reverse. Even then it would be a stretch. Let's say half starts at 530 and back groups cross line 615 or later they would still struggle to get through that area before 7am open. If they ran same map as last year what time would back markers clear that area 930?. Its already chaos there with boarding groups. I agree with earlier post that there is more likely to be a after party then run through new area and I don't think after party will happen

The only way it goes through galaxy edge is if they run it in reverse. Even then it would be a stretch. Let's say half starts at 530 and back groups cross line 615 or later they would still struggle to get through that area before 7am open. If they ran same map as last year what time would back markers clear that area 930?. Its already chaos there with boarding groups. I agree with earlier post that there is more likely to be a after party then run through new area and I don't think after party will happen

They proved in the inaugural year that running it in reverse isn’t feasible and leads to unprecedented bottlenecking.

Only way I can think then is to start in galaxy edge and head straight out so everyone is clear of Hollywood studios for park opening

How's everyone's training going. I've been lazy lately but since new years done 2 or 3 5-7km runs a week (lost 3kg to). Just need to start increase distance for my half marathon training

How's everyone's training going. I've been lazy lately but since new years done 2 or 3 5-7km runs a week (lost 3kg to). Just need to start increase distance for my half marathon training
My training was going very slow until I decided to sign up for Princess about 2 weeks ago lol. That kicked me into gear real quick. So it will be more about maintaining for me between the two race weekends.

My training has been nonexistent since Dopey. Two days after completing it my achilles tendinitis blew up big time. I’ve been resting it, gentle ROM, stretching and ice massage which has helped. I start PT next week and hopefully will be cleared to start training again soon.

I'm doing the Princess Half so my focus is on training for that...which I'm behind on. But I'm pretty that puts me just about in the right place for SW training. My goal will be to take a little rest after Princess and then keep going to get ready for SW.

From a certain point of view, training is fine. But I haven't run since Dopey because the end of January proved to be intensely stressful and the stress is only going to build until immediately before I leave for Star Wars race weekend. I just need to start up next weekend and should get myself back on track.
My training was going very slow until I decided to sign up for Princess about 2 weeks ago lol. That kicked me into gear real quick. So it will be more about maintaining for me between the two race weekends.
Short notice race registrations can have very unintended consequences. Like running the marathon. I signed up for Avengers 2017 with just 3 weeks to go and had not run in 6 weeks when I signed up. So that kicked my butt into training, which in turn caused me to regret not signing up for the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge. So instead, I registered for all 3 2018 Dark Side races which worked out much better since I love Star Wars and like Marvel. While I had run challenge weekends before, this whole process broke through my mental barriers about the marathon.

From a certain point of view, training is fine. But I haven't run since Dopey because the end of January proved to be intensely stressful and the stress is only going to build until immediately before I leave for Star Wars race weekend. I just need to start up next weekend and should get myself back on track.
Short notice race registrations can have very unintended consequences. Like running the marathon. I signed up for Avengers 2017 with just 3 weeks to go and had not run in 6 weeks when I signed up. So that kicked my butt into training, which in turn caused me to regret not signing up for the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge. So instead, I registered for all 3 2018 Dark Side races which worked out much better since I love Star Wars and like Marvel. While I had run challenge weekends before, this whole process broke through my mental barriers about the marathon.
It was definitely a good thing for me, too (though I'm sure my bank account highly disagrees lol). It'll give me more time to work on speed since I'll already have the mileage built up. Mine was more from jealousy from marathon weekend, wishing I had been there and not wanting to wait until Star Wars. Then once a charity posted that they had bibs for Princess available with no fundraising requirement I just couldn't resist.
Unintended consequence of having my first AP ever too, "well heck, park tickets are already paid for, so the trip is practically free!" haha, jk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter