Official APH Rate Info for Universal Loews Hotel Properties

There's never been a problem with lack of APH inventory before -- at least, not that I've experienced, even when traveling during exactly the same holiday week 2 years ago. Universal created the scarcity this time around by failing to release APH rates within the usual 3-6 month timeframe, thus allowing resorts that would otherwise have been offering rooms at APH rates to become fully booked before a single APH rate was offered. In my [concededly limited, just 3-4 years] experience as a passholder, this is new. I just hope it's a one-time mistake, and not reflective of a change in policy/diminution of APH benefits.
Yours is the best analysis I've seen so far. I fear that you are right that it is only the beginning. With Disney malcontents growing and travelling fever reaching a peak, prices can only go up and inventory down... I bit the bullet and paid $460 for RP. Crossing my fingers I'll snag something cheaper at the least minute before having to cancel. One of the main reasons I got an AP was for that discount. Oh well...

It certainly seems like the days of APH rates for peak dates at deluxe resorts may be coming to an end (or at least getting more challenging to obtain). As long as they can fill all the rooms, there really isn't any need for them to give them, and they are clearly testing the market with even higher standard rates.

It doesn't mean it is the end of APH rates, as non-peak dates will likely have plenty of open room. But it be rough on families with kids in school (like ours), as that leaves only holidays, the occasional 4 day weekend, and summer to visit. We've been to UO enough that we're not willing to take the kids out of school to visit...

There's never been a problem with lack of APH inventory before -- at least, not that I've experienced, even when traveling during exactly the same holiday week 2 years ago. Universal created the scarcity this time around by failing to release APH rates within the usual 3-6 month timeframe, thus allowing resorts that would otherwise have been offering rooms at APH rates to become fully booked before a single APH rate was offered. In my [concededly limited, just 3-4 years] experience as a passholder, this is new. I just hope it's a one-time mistake, and not reflective of a change in policy/diminution of APH benefits.
Universal does not owe annual pass holders hotel discounts. It’s a special deal that Universal has worked out through Loews.

Understandably, Loews does not want to fill a bunch of rooms with deeply discounted annual pass rates if they can fill them with rates that are discounted less.

Universal did not create this scarcity. Other Universal vacationers who are willing to pay a higher rate did.

Annual pass rates are a way to help fill the hotels when rooms might otherwise go unsold. In my view, these discounted rates primarily are targeted to those with some flexibility in their schedules who can travel to Universal on relatively short notice to take advantage of these rates.

It certainly seems like the days of APH rates for peak dates at deluxe resorts may be coming to an end (or at least getting more challenging to obtain). As long as they can fill all the rooms, there really isn't any need for them to give them, and they are clearly testing the market with even higher standard rates.

It doesn't mean it is the end of APH rates, as non-peak dates will likely have plenty of open room. But it be rough on families with kids in school (like ours), as that leaves only holidays, the occasional 4 day weekend, and summer to visit. We've been to UO enough that we're not willing to take the kids out of school to visit...
I get this, but they haven't released any at all and they should have at least released some non-peak weekday rates by now. It's so frustrating!

Universal did not create this scarcity. Other Universal vacationers who are willing to pay a higher rate did.

Of course Universal created the scarcity of APH-discounted rooms (by not releasing any). The overall booking pattern isn't new: President's Day week is always booked up a few weeks ahead of time for the premium hotels, and of course non-passholders have always been willing to pay more for hotels than passholders, because they have to. But back when Universal released APH rates 3-6 months out, passholders had a chance to book those rooms at a discount before they were fully sold out. Yes, not all hotels or room types were included, and a passholder might have to switch to a different resort or to a different room category, or even split a stay to take advantage of APH discounts, but at least they had the option. This year, to date, 6 weeks out from President's Day week, there haven't been APH rates offered for any those rooms for those dates at any time.

The inventory of rooms hasn't changed, and the premium hotels haven't booked up faster than in prior years, at least not for the popular vacation week upon which I've been laser-focused since we booked our trip six months ago -- Universal just hasn't given passholders a chance to get a discount on any of them before they were gone. This is not consistent with past practice, and it's troubling for those of us who purchase annual passes so we can afford the opportunity to stay in the premium hotels.

P.S. ...and to respond to your comment that Universal doesn't "owe" passholders discounts... you're right, in the sense that it's not obligated to offer them every day, or at every resort, or for every room category. However, by the same token, Universal's passholder advertising is replete with references to "savings year-round with up to 30% off room rates at the Premier and Preferred hotels..." (that's a direct quote from the official website). Universal can't say that hotel discounts are available to passholders (even if in limited quantity, or for a limited time) "year-round," and then deny them any meaningful opportunity to access those savings. At the very least, from the standpoint of good faith customer service (albeit not in a strict legal sense), Universal "owes" passholders what it promises.

Last edited:
Of course Universal created the scarcity of APH-discounted rooms (by not releasing any). The overall booking pattern isn't new: President's Day week is always booked up a few weeks ahead of time for the premium hotels, and of course non-passholders have always been willing to pay more for hotels than passholders, because they have to. But back when Universal released APH rates 3-6 months out, passholders had a chance to book those rooms at a discount before they were fully sold out. Yes, not all hotels or room types were included, and a passholder might have to switch to a different resort or to a different room category, or even split a stay to take advantage of APH discounts, but at least they had the option. This year, to date, 6 weeks out from President's Day week, there haven't been APH rates offered for any those rooms for those dates at any time.

The inventory of rooms hasn't changed, and the premium hotels haven't booked up faster than in prior years, at least not for the popular vacation week upon which I've been laser-focused since we booked our trip six months ago -- Universal just hasn't given passholders a chance to get a discount on any of them before they were gone. This is not consistent with past practice, and it's troubling for those of us who purchase annual passes so we can afford the opportunity to stay in the premium hotels.
It will be interesting to see if Universal releases more annual pass rates because of increased cancellations due to COVID.

There's never been a problem with lack of APH inventory before -- at least, not that I've experienced, even when traveling during exactly the same holiday week 2 years ago. Universal created the scarcity this time around
YMMV Visiting multiple times per year for decades, can state that often AP rates often weren’t released for dates I watched ( like a hawk)

especially, if looking at long weekends over HhN, Mardi gras & major holidays
Absolutely. I am hoping occupancy will indicate need to offer them closer to date. It could be they may show more love to FL residents
see that Disney just released some discounted AP rates for Spring today, so maybe Universal will follow
Well, here’s hoping they release more availability that WDW did
It will be interesting to see if Universal releases more annual pass rates because of increased cancellations due to COVID.
Talk about a double edged sword.

In case you haven't noticed this isn't normal times. Prices are up on everything, sales and discounts are non-existent. 2022 might make 2021 and 2020 look like good years.

Did prices go up last night or am I imagining things.?
Yes! dates that I have been watching for the end of September just took a huge jump and availability decreased too. HRH isn't a possibility for that trip anymore with those prices.

In case you haven't noticed this isn't normal times. Prices are up on everything, sales and discounts are non-existent. 2022 might make 2021 and 2020 look like good years.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. I'm well aware that times aren't normal, having buried a relative yesterday who died from COVID -- the fifth such memorial I've had to attend in a 10-month period. Not normal? B@$#% please, you're preaching to the choir.

That doesn't excuse companies from their obligation to follow through on providing advertised amenities to customers. "COVID hardship" was a legitimate and understandable explanation when parks were empty and mass layoffs were occurring. It rings somewhat hollow months later, when the company's hotels and parks are filled (sometimes to capacity) with [over]paying guests. (I'm not an economic expert, but "billions in profit" doesn't sound like hardship to me - see link below). For our upcoming February trip, we're already paying over 150% of what the same room cost during the same week 2 years ago (comparing rack rates). It wouldn't kill Universal's bottom line to offer a 30% discount to passholders on a few of those rooms, in line with past practice and present advertising.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/uni...able-quarter-ever/AGANWYT2YVBLXDN6YMAMUKVGMI/

Last edited:
For our upcoming February trip, we're already paying over 150% of what the same room cost during the same week 2 years ago (comparing rack rates). It wouldn't kill Universal's bottom line to offer a 30% discount to passholders on a few of those rooms.
Sorry for your loss, far too many of us here have gone thru this horrid experience

I quit keeping track during the last few years, as to the general % of the price increases for WDW hotels. Going from memory, believe it was at least 10% annually. The few years I ran the numbers for U, it was approximately half that with the exception of a big bump when HP first came to town, which was absolutely acceptable imo. It does appear to be a rather delayed bump in attempting to attribute the jump in rates the new coaster

Overall inflation is creeping higher. Loews has an obligation to churn an annual profit. If they can make up deficiencies via room revenue, of course they will In order to keep the doors open. Hopeful they use some of it to pay a premium salary to retain their top notch staff!

People are starved for normalcy & travel. There are many pockets stuffed full of $$$. people will pay the new rates at least for their their first covid era trip. Only way things will normalize ( if that is indeed still a thing) is if people do stop booking going forward

One benefit - Perhaps the concept of disney guests booking ‘throwaway rooms’ will slowly fade & increase some inventory for those who find frustrating gaps/missing dates when trying to book their onsite plans:confused3

I am not a lawyer. the stated AP perc of discounted rooms is carefully hedged with terms such as ‘discounted rates up to x% May be offered…subject to availability…’. No mention of how many rooms, nights or what category. Shady but, ultimately likely legal via disclaimers

We surely don’t have to like it:headache: some of us will accept the new rates. Believe a large contingent will continue to visit U but, eventually change their travel patterns…via booking shorter trips, staying offsite for a portion of or all of their trips or just do a lot of grumbling. ;)

I am not a lawyer. the stated AP perc of discounted rooms is carefully hedged with terms such as ‘discounted rates up to x% May be offered…subject to availability…’. No mention of how many rooms, nights or what category. Shady but, ultimately likely legal via disclaimers

I _am_ a lawyer, and you are correct. Universal's disclaimers do mean that as much as passholders may be frustrated that an annual pass suddenly doesn't seem to offer the same benefits it used to, and may see it as grossly unfair that Universal continues to advertise discounts it no longer seems willing to offer (at least, not nearly to the extent to which we'd become accustomed), there's nothing to be done from a legal standpoint.

All we can do is vote with our wallets next time, or not. In the grand scheme of things, I still see the UOAP as one of the most affordable and beneficial ticket options available at any of the Orlando theme parks, if you plan on a multi-day visit. I'm just having my own personal pity party to complain about the fact that what used to be an "incredible bargain" for my family that saved us hundreds and allowed us to afford premium hotel stays (with unlimited express pass), is now just an "okay deal" that may or may not save us any money at the end of the day. Obviously, the value for those who don't tend to stay onsite, or who visit more frequently than we can, will still be much higher.

I have to wonder how much influence WDW now charging for Genie has to do with keeping the premier resorts on the upper pricing? I mean staying in them gets free EP - staying at the top tier in WDW gets you 2 free hrs in a park with 1/2 the attractions not running and their prices are way higher and the discounts (although announced and timed similarly each year) for APs have dramatically dropped - majority of the AP discounts on deluxe are only on the special view rooms and maybe 10% off.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. I'm well aware that times aren't normal, having buried a relative yesterday who died from COVID -- the fifth such memorial I've had to attend in a 10-month period. Not normal? B@$#% please, you're preaching to the choir.

That doesn't excuse companies from their obligation to follow through on providing advertised amenities to customers. "COVID hardship" was a legitimate and understandable explanation when parks were empty and mass layoffs were occurring. It rings somewhat hollow months later, when the company's hotels and parks are filled (sometimes to capacity) with [over]paying guests. (I'm not an economic expert, but "billions in profit" doesn't sound like hardship to me - see link below). For our upcoming February trip, we're already paying over 150% of what the same room cost during the same week 2 years ago (comparing rack rates). It wouldn't kill Universal's bottom line to offer a 30% discount to passholders on a few of those rooms, in line with past practice and present advertising.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/uni...able-quarter-ever/AGANWYT2YVBLXDN6YMAMUKVGMI/
I wasn't being sarcastic, but I'm confused. Are you saying Universal is obligated to provide a discount? If they can sell the rooms at full price that is exactly what they are going to do.

Yes! dates that I have been watching for the end of September just took a huge jump and availability decreased too. HRH isn't a possibility for that trip anymore with those prices.
I was looking at May rates at PBH on Wednesday night and I swear they were 40.00 a night higher last night. It shouldn't be surprising Florida is a hotspot right now for travel. Travel options are so limited. I'd rather be traveling internationally myself, but it's just too much of a hassle.

I wasn't being sarcastic, but I'm confused. Are you saying Universal is obligated to provide a discount? If they can sell the rooms at full price that is exactly what they are going to do.

This is all contained in prior posts, but to summarize: APH hotel discounts are advertised as one of the perks of being a passholder, and for some of us, they've been the primary enticement to buy and renew annual passes. In the past, Universal has offered APH hotel discounts for various resorts, rooms and date ranges -- so consistently in fact, that my family has never stayed at a Universal hotel without one, although sometimes we had to change to a different room category or resort to do so. Those rates were released 3-6 months ahead of time, long before the rooms at the premium resorts were fully booked at full price.

Universal -- despite Universal Orlando just having enjoyed its most profitable quarter ever -- has suddenly stopped doing this, with no notice to passholders and no explanation. Hence the complaint. If Universal wants to book all its rooms at full price with no passholder discounts, that's fine -- but if that's the case, it ought to own up to the fact that "year-round" APH hotel discounts are no longer a passholder benefit that it's willing to deliver.

Last edited:
I'm getting lost in the discussion, is this just about no AP rates over President's Day? There have been busy times before that did not offer AP rates, especially during holidays. I took my family over Thanksgiving in 2018, and despite booking over 6 months early and checking regularly, AP rates for RPR never showed up. I have never felt it was guaranteed they would be there whenever I wanted them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter