*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

Well, we are under 3 weeks. The magic bands showed up at the door this week. I wasn’t expecting them there and I almost ruined the surprise. Previously they have been placed in our mailbox; but we have also moved since our last trip 3 years ago and our mailbox is smaller now.

So while working from home on Tuesday, my son said, “Mom, we have a package at our door.” I let him retrieve it and began opening it in front of him. Had to quickly close the box when I realized what it was. Had to tell a

little fib (that it was something for grownups only) and distract him with something else.

I have been really behind doing stuff for this trip we have been running and so busy. I’m also looking for a new job so it’s been crazy. The good thing is the time is going by faster. But I have also been looking daily at the site because I was hoping to surprise the kids with a resort upgrade (we have always stayed in values). I wanted to either do a moderate or do the family suite at All-Star Music. But I don’t think that will be possible financially as there was an error with my pay and I only got 1 week in my last check instead of 2. Unless they fix it by my next one I’m thinking I will stick with Sports. I had always wanted to try the Caribbean Beach Resort; but one of the things that attracted me to it was the food court and since it’s closed, that’s a no go.

I’ve read that Sports is pretty quiet compared to the others and the first pick up and drop off when the All-Stars occasionally share transportation. I have switched once before. Our 2012 trip I switched 3 weeks out. When I logged in today, it said 20 days to go.

I added our flight information and set up our magical express reservations. So I imagine the luggage tags will arrive within the next few days since the trip is so close.

I haven’t packed; but I have my lists done already. Things to do, things to buy, things to pack. I am hoping to go with one checked bag. It’s been 3 years since we flew and at 14 and 7 the kids can carry more in their carry-ons now. Plus this will be a simple trip. DD has aged out of BBB and not going to do Pirates League with the heat and only 4 maybe 4.5 park days. So just a bunch of underwear, shorts and t-shirts, swim clothes, flip-flops and an extra pair of shoes for each person. I’m hoping my 25 inch upright will hold all of that. If not I will throw some stuff in the 18 inch and have my teen carry that. We’re doing park and ride at the airport because it’s $7/day as opposed to the $14/day to park in the terminal deck. So I don’t want a bunch of stuff to deal with on the shuttle.

I have our lanyards, fans, and stuff all in a box. We started saving stuff from summer trips (Disney and otherwise) in one spot to make it easier to get to and so I can avoid buying stuff we already have when summer comes. I plan to pack our personal fans, our mister (empty) and our frog tog towels across the 3 carry-on bags. Plus a lightweight drawstring bag to use in the parks. It is also our first time with no stroller.

Now, since it’s been 3 years since we have flown, I need to go over our airport website more so there are no surprises that day. I’m so happy to be going back. When we started going I thought it would be an annual thing. Life laughs at our plans at times. We have all 3 missed the place. YouTube has helped, especially the point of view videos of rides. In tomorrow land we would usually do the People Mover then go to Carousel of Progress. One night I was watching a People Mover point of view video and my son joined me. When it was done, he looked at me and said, “Can you find a Carousel of Progress video now?” :P

Magic Bands have arrived!!
Although I was a little disappointed that DH was home first, and opened the box without me!!

Anyone else not loving the new design? I tried mine on, and I don't like how inflexible the area around the mickey head is... and I think I might have to remove the grey part this time - I can't get it small enough for my liking. Of course, I have child sized wrists, so that's a factor too. :rolleyes:

Curious - how many people are going to do the online check on with the MDE app? Anyone tried this before? I wonder if using it would automatically exclude you from any potential arrival pixie dust?

Although I was a little disappointed that DH was home first, and opened the box without me!!

Anyone else not loving the new design? I tried mine on, and I don't like how inflexible the area around the mickey head is... and I think I might have to remove the grey part this time - I can't get it small enough for my liking. Of course, I have child sized wrists, so that's a factor too. :rolleyes:

Curious - how many people are going to do the online check on with the MDE app? Anyone tried this before? I wonder if using it would automatically exclude you from any potential arrival pixie dust?

Exciting day! We're still waiting on our Magic Bands - we're at 24 days, our bands have gone from FL - IL - PA, now we just need them to get to MA :)
I'm hoping we like the new design.
I had already done online check-in on the website, before the app had been updated, so I can't try it (the app tells you your check-in is all set and doesn't allow for editing). I also plan to send a fax, either on my own or through Touring Plans. I'm not too picky, as I love most of POR, but I'd like to be fairly close to the food court. Although I've checked in online in the past, I always still go to the front desk - there's just something about the process that makes me feel as if my vacation has really begun - I prefer having the cast member interaction over going straight to my room.

We leave for the Julaugust trip tonight! Well, I guess tomorrow at 1 in the morning, but if I don't sleep, it's still considered tonight, right? :tilt:

Just got out of camp and sent our dog to Best Friends for the week. We're trying to leave a little bit earlier, since we drive, because there's supposed to be some bad weather down by the Baltimore/DC Area. So excited!

I did online check-in for our last trip but on the website not the app. I have not yet done it for this trip; but I will. I have not gotten the “Your room is ready” text that allows you to bypass the front desk though. I am hoping to get it this time because we will be getting in late. Our flight lands at 8:55. I’m waiting to put our Magical Express tags on for the return trip so I can get our suitcase(s) when we arrive even though we get in prior to 10pm. I know we will be tired; so I don’t want to wait for luggage delivery and I’m hoping to go straight to the room.

Well, we are under 3 weeks. The magic bands showed up at the door this week. I wasn’t expecting them there and I almost ruined the surprise. Previously they have been placed in our mailbox; but we have also moved since our last trip 3 years ago and our mailbox is smaller now.

So while working from home on Tuesday, my son said, “Mom, we have a package at our door.” I let him retrieve it and began opening it in front of him. Had to quickly close the box when I realized what it was. Had to tell a

little fib (that it was something for grownups only) and distract him with something else.

I have been really behind doing stuff for this trip we have been running and so busy. I’m also looking for a new job so it’s been crazy. The good thing is the time is going by faster. But I have also been looking daily at the site because I was hoping to surprise the kids with a resort upgrade (we have always stayed in values). I wanted to either do a moderate or do the family suite at All-Star Music. But I don’t think that will be possible financially as there was an error with my pay and I only got 1 week in my last check instead of 2. Unless they fix it by my next one I’m thinking I will stick with Sports. I had always wanted to try the Caribbean Beach Resort; but one of the things that attracted me to it was the food court and since it’s closed, that’s a no go.

I’ve read that Sports is pretty quiet compared to the others and the first pick up and drop off when the All-Stars occasionally share transportation. I have switched once before. Our 2012 trip I switched 3 weeks out. When I logged in today, it said 20 days to go.

I added our flight information and set up our magical express reservations. So I imagine the luggage tags will arrive within the next few days since the trip is so close.

I haven’t packed; but I have my lists done already. Things to do, things to buy, things to pack. I am hoping to go with one checked bag. It’s been 3 years since we flew and at 14 and 7 the kids can carry more in their carry-ons now. Plus this will be a simple trip. DD has aged out of BBB and not going to do Pirates League with the heat and only 4 maybe 4.5 park days. So just a bunch of underwear, shorts and t-shirts, swim clothes, flip-flops and an extra pair of shoes for each person. I’m hoping my 25 inch upright will hold all of that. If not I will throw some stuff in the 18 inch and have my teen carry that. We’re doing park and ride at the airport because it’s $7/day as opposed to the $14/day to park in the terminal deck. So I don’t want a bunch of stuff to deal with on the shuttle.

I have our lanyards, fans, and stuff all in a box. We started saving stuff from summer trips (Disney and otherwise) in one spot to make it easier to get to and so I can avoid buying stuff we already have when summer comes. I plan to pack our personal fans, our mister (empty) and our frog tog towels across the 3 carry-on bags. Plus a lightweight drawstring bag to use in the parks. It is also our first time with no stroller.

Now, since it’s been 3 years since we have flown, I need to go over our airport website more so there are no surprises that day. I’m so happy to be going back. When we started going I thought it would be an annual thing. Life laughs at our plans at times. We have all 3 missed the place. YouTube has helped, especially the point of view videos of rides. In tomorrow land we would usually do the People Mover then go to Carousel of Progress. One night I was watching a People Mover point of view video and my son joined me. When it was done, he looked at me and said, “Can you find a Carousel of Progress video now?” :P
I got excited reading your post. What fun your going to have. Value resorts are great, your kids are going to be happy just being there. Make many happy memories!

I think the new design, a little over the top. Smaller not bigger would have been better.

My Magic Bands have not shipped according to the website and I'm 21 days out. Which makes me a little nervous but I'm sure it will be fine. I still have one from November I can use but DH does not. My sister and her family already got theirs. Also, the website might be wrong. I feel like that's happened before - website said they hadn't shipped and yet they were on my doorstep!

I have our lanyards, fans, and stuff all in a box. We started saving stuff from summer trips (Disney and otherwise) in one spot to make it easier to get to and so I can avoid buying stuff we already have when summer comes. I plan to pack our personal fans, our mister (empty) and our frog tog towels across the 3 carry-on bags. Plus a lightweight drawstring bag to use in the parks.
this is as far as I have gotten with packing-and we leave for my parents (for my dads birthday) 1 week from today, and for Florida a week from tomorrow!:scared1: Will get serious about packing this weekend. Including digging out the Disney ponchos-all but 1 is ripped so will have to get them exchanged for new ones. DH hated the disposable ones I got for our 2014 trip so he bought the Disney ones. Actually decent investment as they are now on the 3rd trip.
"Wait, you were serious? We're really going???"
:rotfl::rotfl: That is so cute!

I also plan to send a fax, either on my own or through Touring Plans.
Had amazing luck with this in 2015-my perfect spot at CBR and a balcony room (overlooking quiet pool-pixie dust upgrade) at Beach Club.
I already have requests in with TP for requests this time too-consistent with my online check in requests.

I like the new MB's - they feel lighter weight, although I did like the smaller mickey heads on the older bands.

My Magic Bands have not shipped according to the website and I'm 21 days out. Which makes me a little nervous but I'm sure it will be fine. I still have one from November I can use but DH does not. My sister and her family already got theirs. Also, the website might be wrong. I feel like that's happened before - website said they hadn't shipped and yet they were on my doorstep!
The same thing just happened with ours. When they finally showed that they were shipped, they had really shipped four days earlier according to the tracking info.

Same thing happened to us for our June trip. I got all worried, called DSS since we were CL at YC, and they sent a second set of bands. Then the first set showed up, which meant I got to worry that even though DSS swore up and down the first set wasn't activated, that we'd get there and have problems. Fortunately, it all worked out.

At this point, I think I have enough bands from all the trips to make it once around our Christmas tree. :santa:

We leave today! So excited and lots of last minute little things to get done before heading out. Last night we had torrential downpours in our area. We got 4 inches of rain in a very short amount of time. Lots of flooding. So glad we didn't have to drive through it. I can't believe it's only going to get to 70 degrees today. Weird weather for sure. Usually, during this time of July, the grass is scorched, we have no rain in sight, and it's 90. At least packing up the car won't make us sweat.

Hi August friends,

FYI: Mission: Space FP+ are now available.

Hello August friend, and thank you for the FYI. I switched a Living With the Land FP+ for Mission Space. I was pretty happy to see FP available for it.

Haven't tried check in through MDE . . . didn't even know it was a thing. I kind of think you are right about that, or even the normal online check in, excluding you from arrival pixie dust.

We leave for the Julaugust trip tonight! Well, I guess tomorrow at 1 in the morning, but if I don't sleep, it's still considered tonight, right? :tilt:

Just got out of camp and sent our dog to Best Friends for the week. We're trying to leave a little bit earlier, since we drive, because there's supposed to be some bad weather down by the Baltimore/DC Area. So excited!

We drive from NY every summer. While I've never gotten on the road at 1 in the morning, I've done 2:30 and 3 a couple of times, and I have to say, it makes the drive a lot nicer. Gets us out of NJ before the morning commute starts, and we don't hit DC until after the morning commute is over. Makes for a nice drive.

We leave today! So excited and lots of last minute little things to get done before heading out. Last night we had torrential downpours in our area. We got 4 inches of rain in a very short amount of time. Lots of flooding. So glad we didn't have to drive through it. I can't believe it's only going to get to 70 degrees today. Weird weather for sure. Usually, during this time of July, the grass is scorched, we have no rain in sight, and it's 90. At least packing up the car won't make us sweat.

I agree, the weather has been odd this summer. We've had some hot days, but not that many, and plenty of rain. I'm hoping we get a dry day to leave on at least, so we don't get soaked packing the car up!

10 days from our departure, and we're driving from NY to FL and back, so we will be spending the better part of 4 days on the road, and today, my DS13 tells me that he broke the screen on his tablet. There is NO WAY I'm doing that drive with a 13 year old boy and no tablet to keep him quiet lol. So, one more thing to add to my list of what I have to get done . . . repair the tablet. Hope Amazon gets me that screen quickly!

10 days from our departure, and we're driving from NY to FL and back, so we will be spending the better part of 4 days on the road, and today, my DS13 tells me that he broke the screen on his tablet. There is NO WAY I'm doing that drive with a 13 year old boy and no tablet to keep him quiet lol. So, one more thing to add to my list of what I have to get done . . . repair the tablet. Hope Amazon gets me that screen quickly!
I am impressed you repair it yourself. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter