*** Official August 2021 thread ***

I totally understand where you are coming from. It would be nice if they gave those of us going before the 50th some perks. That said, we aren’t canceling. We haven’t been since June of 2018 and we really, really miss it. Plus, we already have a trip planned for next summer to visit some national parks out west, so if we don’t go in August, it will be at least two more years, and we just can’t wait that long.

I’m trying to look at the bright side of things - we don’t have to wear masks, I can see HEA one (or two) more times, more restaurants are opening up, and I’m kind of looking forward to a more laid-back approach. I’m one that does not want FP+ to return before our trip, but will be fine if it does. Lastly, I can’t imagine how mobbed Disney will be once the 50th celebration starts and for the following 18 months. I don’t think I want to be near Disney in the months to come.
I agree with you on this but as the trip grows closer this notion is starting to fade as capacity numbers are raised. With 2 young kids in tow "laid back" is all relative any way. This is why my lone solo trip in 2019 was, in may respects, the most laid-back (although I did miss the little ones a lot).

Praying for more shows/restaurants to absorb some folks as don't think Fast Passes are not in the cards for August..probably another 50th Anniversary perk.

I agree with you on this but as the trip grows closer this notion is starting to fade as capacity numbers are raised. With 2 young kids in tow "laid back" is all relative any way. This is why my lone solo trip in 2019 was, in may respects, the most laid-back (although I did miss the little ones a lot).

Praying for more shows/restaurants to absorb some folks as don't think Fast Passes are not in the cards for August..probably another 50th Anniversary perk.

Dh and I did a quick trip in August 2019 for the AP preview of SW:GE and it was also our most "laid back" trip! We only had 1 full day and 2 partial days but we were able to hit every park and were shocked at how much we could accomplish with only 2 adults vs. an entire family! So in many ways it felt "laid back" even though we were very busy most of the time. We just didn't have so many competing interests to juggle, so the stress was way less.

I am also not really looking forward to this trip as much with the recent reports of terrible lines and Disney's announcements about things that could help not happening until October(!!!!!!). It could be pretty miserable over the next 3 months if they don't do something soon. We've purchased UV umbrellas for all 4 of us, and we'll have Frogg Toggs as well. Still, I can't stand the thought of waiting in that heat for 30+ minutes for nearly every ride we want to do. I suspect we'll be making more use of the pool this time if FP+ doesn't return before our trip. I have no idea when we'll be able to go back after this year, but it'll probably be a few years.

We too grabbed an Oga's spot as a result of last night's inventory dump. We already had a reservation but the time was less than stellar (morning). I think it means they are going back to standing room only for everyone which is such a bummer as those tables are too tall for my kids. I guess we'll just have to wait for a booth like we did in the "before time", ugh.

I hear what people are saying re frustrations with lack of fastpass, crowds etc. We went in spring break when everything was hour+ waits, and it is for sure not as nice as going with fastpass. I do expect August may not be so bad since a lot of kids are back in school. And I think there is a somewhat decent chance of FP coming back in some form (most likely paid), but I'm not counting on it for our August trip.

One of my favorite expressions is "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube." It's not realistic at this point to expect things to go back to the way they were. Disney has well-known staffing woes, and after a year of lost money, the parks division really needs to tighten belts and control costs, and both of those things are an impediment to a "return to normal" more so than Covid at this point. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is what it is.

All I can do is (1) choose not to go, or (2) enjoy the parts I still love (the rides are still just as fun; the imagineered parks and resorts still just as beautiful; and this time we even get fireworks back!) without constantly comparing it to the way it used to be. I'm actually kind of relived we won't be having the "new EMH" when I get there. We stay onsite, but I often avoided EMH in the past because it always seemed to make crowds WORSE, and I didn't love having to get up extra early or stay up extra late with small kiddos.

I think its pretty sad that they are waiting until Oct. to introduce a lot of things. We are getting screwed.
I'm hoping the fact that they've announced things are not starting until Oct 1 will work in our favour as some who are booked for August or considering booking in August may defer their trips until later.

Regardless of when Disney opens things somebody will just miss out. That happened to us with the Skyliner. We were there a few different trips while it was being built and missed the opening by less than a week. It was disappointing but it sure does make it something to look forward to this trip! Same for us will be Ratatouille, Tron, Guardians and more.

I'm hoping the fact that they've announced things are not starting until Oct 1 will work in our favour as some who are booked for August or considering booking in August may defer their trips until later.

Regardless of when Disney opens things somebody will just miss out. That happened to us with the Skyliner. We were there a few different trips while it was being built and missed the opening by less than a week. It was disappointing but it sure does make it something to look forward to this trip! Same for us will be Ratatouille, Tron, Guardians and more.
I appreciate you looking at the bright side... never occurred to me.

I thought this same thing, too. It might help lessen the crowds if people decide to push back their trips. Either way, at the end of day I'm in Disney and it will be great! My family hasn't been there in three years and we are so excited to be going back. We never thought we'd be there maskless watching fireworks, so there are still a lot of things for us to be excited about.

Last edited:
I see a lot of school systems are starting class that month (I see Atlanta starts 8/10)...wonder if that will alter some vacation plans. Grasping at straws here,

My cousin's stepdaughter goes to school over near Tampa, and they start back Friday, August 6th.

I have already told my family that this trip will be different. We are rope droppers and usually go for two weeks. This is an 8 day trip, earlier in the month than we usually go. There may be things we won't get to do this time, and we are OK with it. We will hopefully be back next August with a more regular trip. We will be happy to be on a real vacation. It will be two years since we were anywhere. Also thinking of not rope dropping every day and trying some later nights. We will keep an eye on how lines are and roll with it.

Next Month!!!

Well, the tenor of my trip has changed again! We were originally booked at the Polynesian for the Disney leg of our upcoming trip (following a stint at Universal), August 21-25, but after the "no early entry for onsite guests until October" news release and the "no monorail for the Polynesian in August" email from Disney, we decided it would be best to see the new rooms some other time, when the resort is fully operational, and able to offer some "onsite advantages." So instead, we booked a premium suite at the Dolphin. Even after factoring in airport transportation costs, we'll save hundreds. As sad as I am to miss out on the Polynesian this time, I think it's a win-win.

Joining this group as we just booked a quick 4 night trip August 9-13th staying at WL :love: It will be our 8th trip to Disney post-COVID and we'll be back for the 50th but when we heard the other day that our absolute favorite restaurant was FINALLY reopening- well we had to get down there for Citricos!

So…if we’re not getting any magic hours…do you think they could start early morning magic again?

So…if we’re not getting any magic hours…do you think they could start early morning magic again?
I really can't see that happening in the short amount of time before the 30 min early entry starts Oct 1. It's less than 3 months to the 50th Anniversary so I can't see them introducing something now that will be offered for such a short amount of time.

Booked Citricos for 2 nights since that's our reason for this trip and also 2 new to us restaurants; Topolino's dinner (done breakfast) and Paradiso 37. That wasn't really on my radar but DH wants to try it and I do want to be able to say we've eaten at all Disney restaurants some day lol

I was hoping additional hours would be announced today.

Do you think that MK, AK or Epcot will have hours added to August, or have we reached the point that if they were going to, they would have already?

And, HEA and Epcot Forever still aren't on the calendar for August. Is it certain that they will be offered in August? Maybe this is a good thing? No fireworks times yet because the closing times aren't set?

I was hoping additional hours would be announced today.

Do you think that MK, AK or Epcot will have hours added to August, or have we reached the point that if they were going to, they would have already?

And, HEA and Epcot Forever still aren't on the calendar for August. Is it certain that they will be offered in August? Maybe this is a good thing? No fireworks times yet because the closing times aren't set?
I wonder if they have a matrix where if capacity reaches a certain % then they try to ease with extra hours...or maybe then they just increase capacity.
I think August hours were all set already but hadn't considered the fireworks...I am sure they will be offered up until 10/1..unless they really want to punish us. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter