*** Official August 2021 thread ***

I also love to do laundry. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to decide what kind of laundry detergent to pack. I used little packets of Woolite last trip but I’m out. I’m certain this means I’m crazy, but I’m ok with that. I pack just a carry on so I typically have to wash everything once on the trip.

Just a recommendation: Arm & Hammer sells laundry detergent pods (with or without Oxyclean) that are powdered - not liquid. They're great for traveling since you don't have to worry about them taking up space in your 3-1-1 bag. (We also do carryon only and plan on a load of wash mid-week. I love it!) 🙂

Last edited:
I am kinda bummed about going in summer just because there is no point in planning cute outfits. 😂. On winter trips I like to bound as fun characters, but this trip is going to be all functional clothes. I’m not worried about the heat. It’s pretty similar to E TN summers….but I don’t usually spend 10 hours outside at home. So, moisture wicking and minimal layers!

I also love to do laundry. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to decide what kind of laundry detergent to pack. I used little packets of Woolite last trip but I’m out. I’m certain this means I’m crazy, but I’m ok with that. I pack just a carry on so I typically have to wash everything once on the trip.

Has anyone been to the groceries near WDW? I need to go for water, sunscreen, Gatorade packets, etc when I get there and I’m not sure if any particular store is better stocked than another….

Laundry sheets! The brand I use is Breezo (I think that's how it is spelled). Easy, mess-free and don't take up any room.

Just a recommendation: Arm & Hammer sells laundry detergent pods (with or without Oxyclean) that are powdered - not liquid. They're great for traveling since you don't have to worry about them taking up space in your 3-1-1 bag. (We also do carryon only and plan on a load of wash mid-week. I love it!) 🙂
Laundry sheets! The brand I use is Breezo (I think that's how it is spelled). Easy, mess-free and don't take up any room.

thank you both! I’ll check them out

this is probably silly but we have never gone on the summer before. Are the water shoes for walking around or just for the resort pools? Thanks!

Just the resort pools as the poolside pavement gets SO hot it can be torture walking from the pool to the slide or your lounge chair.

That said we always wear hiking type sandals in the park (eg keen, tevas) that drain water and dry quick. With bursts if heavy rain pretty much guaranteed each day in summer, it is no fun walking around in soggy shoes.

When you order magic bands, do you usually get a tracking number once they are shipped? I only ordered our bands last Monday, but was hoping I’d have a tracking number by now. We leave in 19 days so I hope they arrive in time.

Just the resort pools as the poolside pavement gets SO hot it can be torture walking from the pool to the slide or your lounge chair.

That said we always wear hiking type sandals in the park (eg keen, tevas) that drain water and dry quick. With bursts if heavy rain pretty much guaranteed each day in summer, it is no fun walking around in soggy shoes.

Yes! The pool pavement is so dang hot! I can’t get from the pool to my chair fast enough. Same thing goes for the water parks. Ouch!

When you order magic bands, do you usually get a tracking number once they are shipped? I only ordered our bands last Monday, but was hoping I’d have a tracking number by now. We leave in 19 days so I hope they arrive in time.
I received a tracking number for our bands on July 9 for our trip that starts July 29.

You should get a USPS tracking number when they ship. But since Disney ships One Stop Mailing, the tracking number is little more than a big tease until OSM delivers to the USPS. OSM will ship from depot to depot at their own schedule before handing it off to the USPS, and then it still has to make the last leg to you.

Looking back at my emails and tracking number. I order ours on June 10, they shipped June 12 (tracking number supplied), they were handed off to the USPS on June 21 and they arrived June 24. Two solid calendar weeks and we are on the East Coast, only 800 miles away.

not 100% announced yet but encouraging news for us augusters (its news on epcot monorail line in case its not loading up)

https://blogmickey.com/2021/07/epcot-monorail-line-could-reopen-this-weekend/

I'm happy about the monorail reopening, but have read several articles with some more information, which are predicting a reopening of the Polynesian monorail station based on Disney ending bus service from the Polynesian to EPCOT in "mid-August." https://www.wdwmagic.com/transporta...orail-will-return-to-service-july-18-2021.htm

WDW sent me a boilerplate "news about your upcoming visit" e-mail on June 28th, informing me that the monorail station at the Polynesian would NOT be open during my stay. The e-mail contained my specific reservation number and arrival date (8/21). We canceled our reservation at the Polynesian -- which was made months ago and was fully paid off -- based on that information. Now, 2 weeks later, WDW seems to think the station will be open by mid-August? I feel like one hand clearly doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to Disney's communications to guests.

This is really frustrating: while I believe everything happens for a reason and that somehow I'll end up being glad we canceled, I'm really angry that WDW misled me into dropping a reservation I'd been really excited about, at a resort I won't have the chance to return to for years. Forgive the melodrama in my reaction: tomorrow, I'll try and put it aside so this doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth during our vacation, but today, I shall pout! ;)

I'm happy about the monorail reopening, but have read several articles with some more information, which are predicting a reopening of the Polynesian monorail station based on Disney ending bus service from the Polynesian to EPCOT in "mid-August." https://www.wdwmagic.com/transporta...orail-will-return-to-service-july-18-2021.htm

WDW sent me a boilerplate "news about your upcoming visit" e-mail on June 28th, informing me that the monorail station at the Polynesian would NOT be open during my stay. The e-mail contained my specific reservation number and arrival date (8/21). We canceled our reservation at the Polynesian -- which was made months ago and was fully paid off -- based on that information. Now, 2 weeks later, WDW seems to think the station will be open by mid-August? I feel like one hand clearly doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to Disney's communications to guests.

This is really frustrating: while I believe everything happens for a reason and that somehow I'll end up being glad we canceled, I'm really angry that WDW misled me into dropping a reservation I'd been really excited about, at a resort I won't have the chance to return to for years. Forgive the melodrama in my reaction: tomorrow, I'll try and put it aside so this doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth during our vacation, but today, I shall pout! ;)
Did you re-book at another resort or did you just cancel it fully?

Passholder Discounts for August - Just noticed that there is a passholder discount available for my dates. Did these just go up, or have they been available for awhile?

The Poly monorail construction still has a ways to go. The epcot line is from the TTC station, which is and has always been unaffected by the Poly construction and is used by Poly guests to get to MK while construction is ongoing at the Poly.

The announcement that the Epcot line is reopening will in no way change the construction at the Polynesian. They are 2 different loops of track that don't ever touch one another.

The Polynesian station is still under full construction so is not at all affected by the Epcot monorail reopening. I would not take a news source as reliable if Disney themselves has not updated their information about the monorail being open. If you receive info from Disney you may want to see about changing your reservation back if you can but I wouldn't go by 1 website.

The announcement that the Epcot line is reopening will in no way change the construction at the Polynesian. They are 2 different loops of track that don't ever touch one another.

The Polynesian station is still under full construction so is not at all affected by the Epcot monorail reopening. I would not take a news source as reliable if Disney themselves has not updated their information about the monorail being open. If you receive info from Disney you may want to see about changing your reservation back if you can but I wouldn't go by 1 website.

I understand they're two different lines. However, at the same time it announced the reopening of the EPCOT monorail, Disney stated that it would discontinue bus service from the Polynesian to EPCOT beginning in "mid-August." That's the basis upon which many bloggers and Disney tourist websites are speculating that the Polynesian monorail station is likely to be reopening then, and that's the part of the announcement to which I was reacting. I should have been a little clearer in my post.

Last edited:
I would be very happy if the Epcot line does come back soon. We requested the DVC Poly building closer to the TTC in anticipation of having to walk over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter