• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2021 thread ***

Newark. Spirit has been cancelling about half of their flights this week so far...American less so but still cancelling.

...and I hear you. If my sister-in-law didn't text me the info I would be ignorant to all of this..in the midst of packing.

You have 2 weeks so I am sure everything will be ok (unless Spirit goes bankrupt from all this).

Edited to add I booked another flight to have piece of mind on United for 2.5 hours later than my original flight..which made me cancel my park pass that day...the whole cascade effect.
I am expecting my original flight to be cancelled...if not I am out $1,300...which really stinks but I couldn't sleep last night I was so stressed out about it.

Last edited:
That is very true! We don't know the full story of those reports. We've also said the same thing-just because the Northeast is ok now, doesn't mean it will stay that way! And we could skip Disney in a few weeks only to get it at school/work etc this fall. We have a little over 2 weeks to make a last minute decision on keeping Disney or just going someplace local/driveable for a few days instead. We are considering Cape Cod but then again their transmission rate is just as high as FL.

I would say the same thing, we don't know the individual situations and it's hard to bank my whole trip on someone's else's anecdote. I'm certainly not invalidating the severity of the situation or the individual's health, but we don't know the logistics.

That's exactly what I've been saying, I'm a teacher and we go back soon, I could get it there, or locally where transmission rate is high.

These airline cancellations from Spirit (should have known better) are adding another layer of stress...so far my flight hasn't been cancelled for Friday but my flight time was cancelled today and already tomorrow. I wish they would just cancel it already so I can re-book somewhere else.

It's the uncertainty!
So far the Atlantic City flights are back on and it looks like the flight # that I’m
on Saturday is departing the gate.

So far the Atlantic City flights are back on and it looks like the flight # that I’m
on Saturday is departing the gate.
Wishing everyone on Spirit the best and I might have jumped the gun by purchasing a second flight and might lost $ on it... but I couldn't function seeing EVERY Spirit flight from EWR to MCO cancelled yesterday and the first two today.
I am stressed enough with the prospect of my kids getting sick on this trip...piece of mind was worth a potential loss of $.
Hopefully United was a good choice.

Newark. Spirit has been cancelling about half of their flights this week so far...American less so but still cancelling.

...and I hear you. If my sister-in-law didn't text me the info I would be ignorant to all of this..in the midst of packing.

You have 2 weeks so I am sure everything will be ok (unless Spirit goes bankrupt from all this).

Edited to add I booked another flight to have piece of mind on United for 2.5 hours later than my original flight..which made me cancel my park pass that day...the whole cascade effect.
I am expecting my original flight to be cancelled...if not I am out $1,300...which really stinks but I couldn't sleep last night I was so stressed out about it.
Good backup plan. I would have done the same thing.

Newark today Spirit to Orlando. Ridiculous!

Newark (EWR)
1:18PM 3:15PM
Orlando (MCO)
4:14PM 5:59PM
Flight
DELAYED

Newark (EWR)
9:15AM
Orlando (MCO)
12:15PM
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
9:40PM
Orlando (MCO)
12:27AM
(next day)
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
5:30AM
Orlando (MCO)
8:18AM
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
5:00AM
Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
8:08AM
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark today Spirit to Orlando. Ridiculous!

Newark (EWR)
1:18PM 3:15PM
Orlando (MCO)
4:14PM 5:59PM
Flight
DELAYED

Newark (EWR)
9:15AM
Orlando (MCO)
12:15PM
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
9:40PM
Orlando (MCO)
12:27AM
(next day)
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
5:30AM
Orlando (MCO)
8:18AM
Flight
CANCELLED

Newark (EWR)
5:00AM
Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
8:08AM
Flight
CANCELLED
Both evening flights out of AC were cancelled. Just the morning flight (mine) made It out. Someone posted on Spirit’s page they got an email saying the morning flight was cancelled but it wasn’t. Hoping they get it together by Saturday

Tomorrow is packing day!

How many masks are you packing? I'm only using disposable medical masks for the trip. Does 3 per day sound right? wear one to the parks, and carry two replacements? I think if the mask gets wet on a ride on in the rain, we would want a new one. I'm just not sure how long you can wear one of these masks before they start to seem gross and you just want a new one.

Tomorrow is packing day!

How many masks are you packing? I'm only using disposable medical masks for the trip. Does 3 per day sound right? wear one to the parks, and carry two replacements? I think if the mask gets wet on a ride on in the rain, we would want a new one. I'm just not sure how long you can wear one of these masks before they start to seem gross and you just want a new one.

When we were going I bought enough to have 5 per day and then extras. Would rather have too many than not enough.

We are cancelling our trip. We are in NY and numbers are low, but seeing Orlando in a surge makes us too nervous since my youngest two aren't eligible for the vaccine yet. However, since we've got the plane tickets, we are actually looking at coming in to take a short cruise. Carnival is sailing 95% vaccinated, leaving the other 5% for mostly kids like mine who are too young. They also require a negative PCR test within 72 hrs before boarding. We feel that is a more controlled environment than Disney.

None of us are worried about getting it on the plane. We are going to stay on the beach, see the Space Center, and then be on the ship. We realize we could still get it but believe the risk to be smaller.

We are all so disappointed but if there's an August 2022 thread, put us on it!

Have fun and be safe!

Tomorrow!!! Finally the excitement has kicked in. I've been very tentative about the whole thing. We never really thought of canceling. We are all vaccinated. But I was still meh about it. I think it has more to do with only an 8 day trip rather than our usual 10-14 days. I feel it will go by so quick.

My husband works 12 hrs today, so final prep is all me. Today is mow the lawn and clean pool/filters, etc. I'm about 90 percent packed.

Tomorrow!!! Finally the excitement has kicked in. I've been very tentative about the whole thing. We never really thought of canceling. We are all vaccinated. But I was still meh about it. I think it has more to do with only an 8 day trip rather than our usual 10-14 days. I feel it will go by so quick.

My husband works 12 hrs today, so final prep is all me. Today is mow the lawn and clean pool/filters, etc. I'm about 90 percent packed.

So exciting! We leave to start driving tomorrow night and I feel the same way- excited, but hesitant! Safe trip and have a great time! Good luck with the final packing!

Tomorrow..and just pulled the suitcases from the attic...yeah not a slow roll here..more like frantic last minute tossing stuff in luggage. Everything we need is out and the house is a cluttered mess...soon to be forgotten for 9 days.

...and all but 1 flight from Newark to Orlando on Spirit cancelled already today. I am so glad I got a backup flight because I am 99% sure my original flight is going to be cancelled....

...and all but 1 flight from Newark to Orlando on Spirit cancelled already today. I am so glad I got a backup flight because I am 99% sure my original flight is going to be cancelled....
Just the morning flight out of AC is scheduled today. I forgot about checking out our return flight. It’s been cancelled a few times over the past week. 🤦🏻‍♂️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter