Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! Maybe all you cake experts out there can help me.

We are planning a family reunion for about 30-40 people at WDW for the end of June/ beginning of July to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday!

We are going to have her birthday party at the GFC and I'll need to order a 1/2 sheet cake to serve all those people.

I was wondering, will the GF bakery handle that, and can they have it ready and waiting for us at the party?

The smaller sized round cakes all look so gorgeous. If any of you have pictures of sheet cakes (any size) you've ordered at WDW, I'd love to see them. Also any advice on flavors, etc would be great.

Thanks! :flower3:

Ive never seen anything other than round in the pics on here. Is there a list of available cakes (sizes/ flavors on the first page of this thread

Our first multi family trip is in a week :yay: :yay: and I thought I'd have my ds3 birthday cake at LTT, there will be 15 of us in 2 tables (close I hope :goodvibes :goodvibes ) any suggestions, comments, information on cakes at LTT would be greatly appreciated.

Same thing here... and I do not like fondant. DH said he's so sick of hearing about it. :headache:

But I say, if you pay $55 for a cake, you expect to get what you ask for. And I figure buttercream should be easier to do that fondant??? :confused3
If you order any type of stand up decoration they will use the fondant. If you want buttercream you have to request it be put on and then the fondant. The buttercream alone will not support the stand ups, especially the princess stand ups and the slipper. It would just topple over.:eek: Alot, of people don't know this. ;)

We had a Mickey & Minnie standup with buttercreme frosting in October. It stayed on just fine. ;)

IMG_1747.jpg

We had a Mickey & Minnie standup with buttercreme frosting in October. It stayed on just fine. ;)

Plus my standup had a really wide round base, so there would be no reason it couldn't stay up by itself. And the fondant was super soft. I actually think a stiff buttercream would have been more support.

The person who took my order was from the bakery, and she took my phone number too. I don't see why they didn't just let me know. Plus I asked for pink flowers and they gave me red. Seems like they just threw together what they felt like and charged me $55.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this now. I'd like to order another cake one day, so I don't want to be bitter about my first experience. :confused3

Here is an adorable Minnie Mouse cake I ordered for my DD for her Bday during our Christmas stay. I ordered it from the GF bakery and had it for our 1900 PF dinner. It was super cute and really wowed us when it came out, but inside was nasty. DD ONLY likes chocolate cake (super picky eater), so that's what I ordered. This cake was NOT chocolate, but something really funky, almost like German Chocolate, but not quite - I love German chocolate BTW - with a strange, gritty, sandy filling. Sadly, it was a disappointment and I am really happy they have bread pudding for dessert at 1900, LOL. We each had one bite of this and left it behind. Super cute, though.

IMGP5457.jpg

IMGP5455.jpg

Here is a BEAUTIFUL 12 inch cake that the GF concierge actually ordered & surprised DD with at Citricos on Xmas Eve. This cake was hand decorated by Ellen, the talented lady that does all the gingerbread houses at the GF. :goodvibes It was on a silver tray and totally lavished with sugar decorations and white chocolate snowmen and pine trees. Ellen put 2 of everything on the cake because I have 2 girls. Beautiful. :wizard: Unfortunately, it was yellow cake.:sad2: It was just lovely and so sweet of them, though. I think part of the fun for Jojo was the attention this beautiful cake drew to her anyway! ;)

IMGP5577.jpg

IMGP5575.jpg

I also have a question..........

My older DD is turning 11 on our July trip. Anybody ever order an EEyore cake at CP??

Lives4Disney :)

Channing,

If you daughters like chocolate cake you should get the chocolate Mickey cake from MK bakery. We had one for dd's 8th birthday last trip. I ordered from MK bakery and had it at CP. It was so chocolately, almost like fudge. We took it back to the Poly and snacked on it the rest of the week and still couldn't finish it. We also had the mini castle cake again at GF. While its still pretty to look at cake was just okay, nothing special.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has had a special cake from Coral Reef? We're celebrating ds's birthday on our June/July trip and I have an ADR at CR and hoping the divers will have a happy birthday sign for ds. I wanted to order something along the lines of a Nemo cake but not just a picture drawn on the cake. Something along the lines of a Mickey cake but Nemo. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that? Thanks!

Channing,

If you daughters like chocolate cake you should get the chocolate Mickey cake from MK bakery. We had one for dd's 8th birthday last trip. I ordered from MK bakery and had it at CP. It was so chocolately, almost like fudge. We took it back to the Poly and snacked on it the rest of the week and still couldn't finish it. We also had the mini castle cake again at GF. While its still pretty to look at cake was just okay, nothing special.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has had a special cake from Coral Reef? We're celebrating ds's birthday on our June/July trip and I have an ADR at CR and hoping the divers will have a happy birthday sign for ds. I wanted to order something along the lines of a Nemo cake but not just a picture drawn on the cake. Something along the lines of a Mickey cake but Nemo. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that? Thanks!

Robyn, is that who does the cakes for CP? MK bakery?? DD10's bday is July 1 and she has loved Eeyore for years, so I really hope to get her an Eeyore cake for lunch at CP. I don't even think she'd care how it tastes or what it is, just so it's Eeyore, lol. I read that nobody will do Pooh! Hope that doesn't include our buddy, Eeyore.

Jojo is my chocolate chipmunk and very picky, so it was kind of a bummer that the Minnie cake was some strange light brown, not true choco cake. It also had icky semifrozen and melty watery parts inside - I think I had a couple bites hoping it would "grow" on me, and then I found this icy stuff and - blah! I love cake, but this one was icky.

Nemo would be really cute at CR. Good luck with that one!

Channing,

It is the MK bakery that does all the MK ts restaurants. They were really good. I'll call the Coral Reef when we get a little closer and hope they can do something along the lines of a Nemo cake.

OT - Have you definitely decided to come in July? If so did you decide where you're staying?

Channing,

It is the MK bakery that does all the MK ts restaurants. They were really good. I'll call the Coral Reef when we get a little closer and hope they can do something along the lines of a Nemo cake.

OT - Have you definitely decided to come in July? If so did you decide where you're staying?

Robyn, I have the Dolphin booked for now, but I am hoping for YC or BC with a good AP rate. ;) I am planning on 6/30 - 7/9. :goodvibes Still waiting for a nice rate for air so nothing definite.

Channing,

I don't think they'll do Nemo either as that's Pixar too. :(

Channing,

Is this a Mickey shaped cake from the MK bakery? Did you have to call 48 hrs ahead of time to order it? We're going to be at MK the day before dd's birthday and on her birthday I have CM reservations, so I'm wondering if I couldn't just pick this up as we leave MK the night before and then take it along to CM for dinner - ??? What do you think?

We are staying offsite in a house, so I could keep it in the refrigerator. I guess I'd have to figure out how to get it out of the park without dd seeing it, but I'm sure I could manage something since DH and my parents will be along.

I called the MK bakery number listed on the 1st page of the post. It was my understanding that it was only for the restaurants at MK, but I may be wrong. Call them and ask. If its only for the restaurants at MK maybe you could have lunch at the Plaza that day and ask them to just box the cake (at check in) so you could bring it to Chef Mickeys. If not call Chef Mickeys and see if the they are able to do a the Mickey head cake. It was probably one of the best cakes we ever had and so cute!

I have heard that the Coral Reef will do a Nemo cake. Someone on the boards was having one done this March. Also, the Boardwalk Bakery has a "Cars" cake , which is Pixar, so I am not sure , if they have a more amicable relationship now. They are still fighting over Pooh Bear though!!!:confused3

Good luck and happy planning!
Kim
momofdbsdca

Anyone ever had or heard of or seen a STITCH cake? DS9 LOVES Stitch. I would like to get one for our Sept trip. We will be "celebrating" his bday at DW in Sept.
Thanks for any help.
Also, do they still do chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse?
We are huge choc/pb fans here!!!

When I tried ordering a special cake to surprise my husband during our honeymoon and first trip to WDW I called GF bakery. I was told they only allow yellow, or chocolate cake with vanilla, or chocolate filling, unless you go with a 10 inch cake which then can be customized and pricing starts at around 60 dollars for the cake itself, and the decos I wanted would be another 30. I had read on here that unless I am wrong you were allowed to choose the cake flavors and fillings and such if you went with an 8 inch cake that 6 inches couldnt be customized. I mentioned that I thought by ordering an 8 inch that I could pick a cake flavor and filling of the many the lady I spoke to earlier had said, but the baker said no I needed to order a larger cake for him to give me cake and filling choices. They really were not helpfull, nor did they even try to help me or offer ideas towards the set theme I gave them. Only said they have some sugar made imported in from cali decos they might could use. I ended up so disspointed not only in the attitude from them, but also that it seems they made it much more complicated than it should have been. My new hubby did order me the mini wedding cake as a surprise which turned out not being one cause the bakery did not have it near being ready before we were done with our breakfast at 1900 PF. We ordered a week out also for it. We did end up getting it, but honestly it lacked a lot in taste it was very bland and have hardly no chocolate flavor to it. It was all choco, with choco filling as he said that was all they offered, besides vanilla with vanilla filling, or cheesecake.which is fine love chocolate, and the icing was some form of very greasy like if you got it on your finger and rubbed it you could seriously feel the grease like texture to it. It was pretty, but I wouldnt order it again. Please no flames this is just my experience we had with them.

We went into Boardwalk bakery. The cakes I saw there were single layer it looked to be, small round and were Pirates, and little mermaid. Both I would say were not as Elaborate as the cars cake pic I saw, and were about the size of a single layer cake at safeway. I asked about how much they were cause I was SERIOUSLY considering getting it since I had trouble with GF. She told us they were 50 dollars. I thought it was a bit pricey since it was not really elaborate, and was pretty small. I did not see any cars cakes when we were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter