Official California Grill Open ADR Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Question: So I think we have decided to stick with just sushi and cocktails this dinner trip. Not sure of the sizes of all the rolls on the new menu. Between the 2 of us, how many rolls would you recommend for our dinner? :scratchin

probably depends how hungry you are, but the rolls are pretty big - especially the Dragon Roll. I think if you had two rolls (say the Dragon Roll and Spicy Kazan Roll) and maybe the Yuzu-marinated Sashimi (we had that last trip and it was great) that should be plenty if you also get dessert.

Try googling images for 'california grill sushi' to see what some of the choices look like. You can see some pics here http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/09/10/...-california-grill/cali_grill_interior_bar_01/

Personally, if we had some bread with our drinks, 1 sushi order is enough for me, for dinner. I think my kids (adult males, actually) could eat 2 each. So if you are hungry, I would say 3 choices between the two of you.

I have seen people get sushi, salad, entree, and dessert, and I honestly don't know how they can eat that much at one time!

Thanks for the suggestions and link. I am always afraid to order too much. I suppose we will have to see how hungry we are that night. I was just concerned that perhaps their sushi offerings may have changed along with the menu.

Leaving today!!! :wave2: So excited! :banana:

Also wondering if we could just walk-in for apps and desserts? Anyone know?

You could go early and try to get a seat in the lounge/bar area, but I don't think there will be any tables available. It's pretty booked.

I went to the Omakase meal last night. I started on my review on my trip report. I'll probably have it finished either late tonight or tomorrow.

i had dinner at california grill on wed 10/30 with my wife and daughter. we originally had reservations for today 11/3 but called the wdw dining number when we checked in at the polynesian around 2pm and were able to get a 5:25pm reservation with no problem at all. it was the first time id been back in about 5 years. the renovations/upgrades looked good and our waiter, jorge was personable and it was a plus he was from nyc as well. food was okay at best nothing great maybe it was the hair in the flatbread that turned us off. jorge was apologetic and brought us a new flatbread. i thought that should have been a no-charge but hey what do i know. i dont think we will go back there again - we thought the salmon and steaks at be our guest on saturday night were better. definitely not as good as i remember it being.

Hey guys!
first post on the Dis!

-- but thought I'd let you know that I just cancelled my res for California Grill on November 17th at 9:25 PM (right before fireworks I believe.)

It was a table for two. :banana:

Just got back from dinner at the Cali-Grill and I have to say the food was fantastic. We had none of the problems that people have posted in this thread, I can not claim to be a regular at the old Cali having only been there once but I can say that the meal I had tonight was very well prepaired and paced rather well for a non rushed feel. Would recommend that anyone give the place a chance before simply following what others have to say about the resturant.:)

Had our first meal at CG this past Saturday night and everything was AMAZING. Waiter in the lounge spent considerable time discussing wines by the glass, had me taste a couple of things. Table waiter sat and schmoozed with us a few times throughout the night, couldn't have been more attentive - enthralled us will tales of interesting people he has served throughout his 16 years there.
Enjoyed pork belly, sashimi and the scallops dish; absolutely lives up to the reputation.

I started following this thread so long ago! I wanted to update and say that we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at CG tonight. We tried the Spicy Kazan and Tomato flatbread for apps. Both delish. The bread was great with the lavender focaccia and butter with the sea salt. Four of us got the pork... Awesome. I had it before and when u saw recent pix I thought it looked like the portion was smaller but they give you plenty of pork. (Would have loved some more polenta but that's because I love it so much, really it was enough) The scallops have changed to a curry flavored dish. The scallops were cooked beautifully but the curry was not the DH's favorite. The gnocchi and snapper were enjoyed by other members of our party.

Wishes was beautiful from up there and we saw a couple get engaged tonight up there during it!

The only real negative was that we had a 720 res and were not seated until close to 8. We didn't mind too much because there were seats in the lounge area and we had a drink.

All in all a great experience.

We ate at CG on our arrival night (Oct. 20) and I have to say that the food was good but the service wasn't as attentive as it used to be at this restaurant.

I had the new pork belly sushi (DELICIOUS) and the goat cheese ravioli (also good). DH had his beloved Spicy Kazan Roll (still a winner in his book) and the sashimi platter (not as good, he said the salmon wasn't very fresh). We also shared the sundae sampler for dessert, which was good but not great.

We waited longer for things (to order, to get our drinks, to get the check) and there was far more time between courses than was necessary. It wasn't terrible service, and if you'd never eaten there before, you probably would never think there was anything wrong. But for us, the service just wasn't as attentive as it used to be. But nothing that would keep us from giving CG another shot. So all in all, I'd give the meal a 7 out of 10.

I started following this thread so long ago! I wanted to update and say that we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at CG tonight. We tried the Spicy Kazan and Tomato flatbread for apps. Both delish. The bread was great with the lavender focaccia and butter with the sea salt. Four of us got the pork... Awesome. I had it before and when u saw recent pix I thought it looked like the portion was smaller but they give you plenty of pork. (Would have loved some more polenta but that's because I love it so much, really it was enough) The scallops have changed to a curry flavored dish. The scallops were cooked beautifully but the curry was not the DH's favorite. The gnocchi and snapper were enjoyed by other members of our party.

Wishes was beautiful from up there and we saw a couple get engaged tonight up there during it!

The only real negative was that we had a 720 res and were not seated until close to 8. We didn't mind too much because there were seats in the lounge area and we had a drink.

All in all a great experience.

We ate at CG on our arrival night (Oct. 20) and I have to say that the food was good but the service wasn't as attentive as it used to be at this restaurant.

I had the new pork belly sushi (DELICIOUS) and the goat cheese ravioli (also good). DH had his beloved Spicy Kazan Roll (still a winner in his book) and the sashimi platter (not as good, he said the salmon wasn't very fresh). We also shared the sundae sampler for dessert, which was good but not great.

We waited longer for things (to order, to get our drinks, to get the check) and there was far more time between courses than was necessary. It wasn't terrible service, and if you'd never eaten there before, you probably would never think there was anything wrong. But for us, the service just wasn't as attentive as it used to be. But nothing that would keep us from giving CG another shot. So all in all, I'd give the meal a 7 out of 10.

I am so glad to see the improved reviews!!! Sounds like maybe they are getting it together.

Laura

Ate there this past Sunday night (1/3). We had the Spicy Kazan roll, tomato/mozzarella flatbread for apps, the red snapper, pork 2-ways, short ribs, and goat cheese ravioli as entrees. All were very good. We felt the service was attentive enough. My wife described it as very European. She's the one who travels all over to Europe for work and said the service was very much the same. We did not feel rushed and felt it compared very well to the previous version of CG. It was pretty loud in there, that's my only complaint. But overall, I don't know what all the complaints are about. The food was great and the service was too.

Ate there this past Sunday night (1/3). We had the Spicy Kazan roll, tomato/mozzarella flatbread for apps, the red snapper, pork 2-ways, short ribs, and goat cheese ravioli as entrees. All were very good. We felt the service was attentive enough. My wife described it as very European. She's the one who travels all over to Europe for work and said the service was very much the same. We did not feel rushed and felt it compared very well to the previous version of CG. It was pretty loud in there, that's my only complaint. But overall, I don't know what all the complaints are about. The food was great and the service was too.
Yum ... goat cheese ravioli. My DD might forgo her regular veggie roll for that!

I have to admit I was hesitant to keep our ADR for 11/3 after reading some of the posts here, but we kept it as it has always been our favorite. Happy to say our meal was fantastic! Jason was our waiter and the service was terrific. We were not rushed and our meal was timed to wishes. We had a spicy Kazan roll and a flatbread - both were very good and the temp on the flatbread was perfect. DH and I both had the filet and it was just as good as we remembered. Temp was perfect even with being held for the fireworks. We have very high expectations and we weren't disappointed!

So glad to hear the positive reviews of late.... we'll be there tomorrow night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter