Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Wow! I'm surprised they ran the race under those conditions, especially that underpass. Running in wet shoes is no good, and the slip danger from the mud.....

I admit that I signed up for a marathon last year ... two lap event in the rain and mud and puddles ... after the first lap, I had a heart to heart with my soaking self and came to the decision that the medal was not worth that level of potential crazy.

I admit that I signed up for a marathon last year ... two lap event in the rain and mud and puddles ... after the first lap, I had a heart to heart with my soaking self and came to the decision that the medal was not worth that level of potential crazy.

I was of that frame of mind up until halfway and then I just decided that no matter what, I was already wet and muddy and I should just try and have fun with it.

I walked the super slippery parts (well at one point I was gripping trees like a ninja warrior contestant to stop from falling!), and jumped in a few puddles for the hell of it :)

Thankfully it was warm, or I might have never made it to the start line.

It really wasn't a bad temp to run in at all last year. It's all that waiting around before the race starts in the cold that kills you.

This Floridian didn't warm up again for three days, lol! I was wholly unprepared for weather that cold, despite wearing many, many layers. I've since bought thicker, warmer tights and will actually utilize one of my many fleece jackets if it's cold again going forward. BUT, I'd take that cold again in a heartbeat over the heat I've been trying to run in the past couple months. :faint: Did a 2/8/16 back to back to back this past weekend and barely made it through the last 5+ of the 16 - sun was just brutal! I'm VERY ready for the cold front we're getting now. :thumbsup2

This Floridian didn't warm up again for three days, lol! I was wholly unprepared for weather that cold, despite wearing many, many layers. I've since bought thicker, warmer tights and will actually utilize one of my many fleece jackets if it's cold again going forward. BUT, I'd take that cold again in a heartbeat over the heat I've been trying to run in the past couple months. :faint: Did a 2/8/16 back to back to back this past weekend and barely made it through the last 5+ of the 16 - sun was just brutal! I'm VERY ready for the cold front we're getting now. :thumbsup2

I moved from Missouri to Florida about a year and a half ago, this is my first time training for a marathon (Dopey) in Florida, I would trade the cool weather from Missouri compared to here right now any day. Ugh it sucks.

Jennifer

So, for the Dopey how do most handle park days. I'm travelling with my 2 kids, and they're going to want to hit the parks. They definitely won't want to stay at a resort the whole time. I know it's good to keep moving after a race, but not to go too crazy.

Wondering what people's experiences are for visiting the parks on race weekend

So, for the Dopey how do most handle park days. I'm travelling with my 2 kids, and they're going to want to hit the parks. They definitely won't want to stay at a resort the whole time. I know it's good to keep moving after a race, but not to go too crazy.

I’m probably one person outside the norm. I’m in the parks each day after the races. Now I don’t usually stay until close but I’ll stay until about 7PM before heading back to bed.

I'll typically go back to the room to shower and take a quick nap after the races, but then head to the parks by lunchtime at the latest. I won't stay for fireworks, but I'll usually stay at least until dinner time.

I know it's good to keep moving after a race, but not to go too crazy.
Im with @rteez I am in the parks as soon as I can get there after a race, and will either a) return for an afternoon nap or b) stick it out until about 6pm and then return to chill before bed.

Back in the pre-Dopey days, we would do our heavy park days after the Goofy was over. Now that Dopey requires being in FL by Wednesday for the Expo, we do park days on race days. I try to do some of the "time off your feet" things on Saturday but I am there for Disney AND races so I need to make sure to do both. So race, hotel for shower, theme park, back to hotel shortly after dark, repeat.

Back in the pre-Dopey days, we would do our heavy park days after the Goofy was over. Now that Dopey requires being in FL by Wednesday for the Expo, we do park days on race days. I try to do some of the "time off your feet" things on Saturday but I am there for Disney AND races so I need to make sure to do both. So race, hotel for shower, theme park, back to hotel shortly after dark, repeat.
I'm thinking AK or HS for the days of the 5km/10km. Maybe putter Springs on the 1/2 day. I could kill some time and let the wife/kids shop around. Take some bench breaks and things.
Epcot will be Marathon day. Celebrate drinking the pavilions :)
MK will be Monday/Tuesday I figure

Wife's rule is that it's still a family vacation so the expectation for me is to participate in 99% of the activities they do. So I tend to get back from the races and then we hit up the parks all day. The only thing I request is an early dinner (4:30-5:00) and that I head back to bed around 6:30-7pm. To manage the fatigue, I do the following:

1) Drink lots of water and rest on benches when available.
2) Wear calf compression sleeves periodically throughout all 4 race days. I don't need it after a 5k or 10k, but have found I do feel better for the next race with it. This helps me a ton.
3) Make your training simulate the experience you want out of the vacation. When you finish your weekend long run, don't just go sit on the couch and watch TV. Go shopping, go hiking, go the park, go do something that still requires movement. If you teach yourself how to operate in normal daily life after a tough training run, you'll be that much more prepared to handle it in a race experience.
4) During the 9 days I was in Disney last year running the Dopey Challenge, I took 187,633 steps (or 20,848 per day). During a normal training week, I'm usually around 18,500-21,500 steps per day. So the Disney trip wasn't out of the ordinary for a normal training week for me other than PR'ing a 5k, 10k, and Marathon in nearly consecutive days (darn cancelled HM...).

This is my first Dopey, but I've done the 5k+Goofy a number of times. For me, a nap after showering was bad news. Muscles were locked up by the time my nap was over. Instead, I shower and head to the park right away. Usually hit 1 or 2 rides, then grab an early lunch (sit down lunch so I'm off my feet). Then a little more fun until mid to late afternoon (3-4 pm), then back to the hotel for the pool. A good soak in the pool each day after walking around the park for a little while kept my muscles happy for the next race. And then DATW after the marathon is mandatory.

Back when my wife and I did the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland in 2015, we hit the parks as soon as we could, and stayed as late as we could.

Now, this is our first Dopey, and I realize it's a different animal. It's also the first time we're bringing our kids during a race weekend.

We just set up our FastPasses today, and here's the general gist of it...
Thurs: after the 5k, we are doing a family breakfast at Ohana and then hitting HS for about 3 hours.
Fri: after the 10K, we're doing a Tea at the GF. We MIGHT do TWO rides at Epcot (Spaceship Earth and Soarin). It depends on how everyone is feeling, because we're doing Star Wars:Shadows of the Empire at Disney Springs at 4pm. EARL-y dinner (get it?), and early to bed.
Sat: after the Half, we're scheduled for Flight of Passage and the Safari early afternoon.

And that's all we planning on. 2-3 hours max in a park and lights out by 8pm. Luckily, we are in the middle of Annual Passes, so we don't feel like we're losing money by spending so little time in the parks.

WISH US LUCK!!!

I'll typically go back to the room to shower and take a quick nap after the races, but then head to the parks by lunchtime at the latest. I won't stay for fireworks, but I'll usually stay at least until dinner time.
This is us - shower and nap, then into the parks. Those who are not running head there when they are ready and the runners meet up once rested/recovered. Get to bed early for the next day. Rinse/repeat.

Wife and I are going it alone for Dopey so no kids to worry about. After the 5K, we will be hitting up MK as soon as we get cleaned up, and then hop to AK. No plans to hit any parks after the 10K and Half. We'll go to Disney Springs and relax at the resort. We always go to EPCOT after the Marathon for celebratory drinks and eating.

When you finish your weekend long run, don't just go sit on the couch and watch TV. Go shopping, go hiking, go the park, go do something that still requires movement.
I second this advice enthusiastically! Luckily I have the responsibility of 2 very high energy dogs that need multiple walks, regardless of my training.
a nap after showering was bad news. Muscles were locked up by the time my nap was over.
And this is exactly the reason why (for the above!).

I do Parks a semi-decent amount on a Thursday and Friday, minimal park time with maximum pool time on Saturday and then DATW until Epcot close on Sunday, then hot tub, then get up Monday and do it all over again.

This is our first Dopey (and first marathon). I did our plan by working backwards by being on the first bus to the race and waking up an hour before the first bus and having 7 hours of sleep each night. I am pretty conservative on the travel time back to the hotel after the race then back to the park and back to the hotel at night. For the 5k and 10k day I planned an hour and half in room and 1/2 and full 2 hours to shower up before hitting the parks. I can be ready in 45 mins but the extra time will allow for foam rolling, getting race clothes ready for next day so we don't have to at night, etc. We also have Race Retreat so we may want to take advantage of being there until that closes (10am on 1/2 and 1pm on full).

Weds - Expo then Disney Springs. Back to hotel around 7pm, lights out at 8pm.
Thurs - 3am wake up, 4am on bus to start then back to room. Arrive EP 10:30am depart for hotel at 6pm. Lights out 7:30.
Fri - 2:30am wakeup, 3:30 on bus to start then back to room. Arrive AK 11:45am. This day will have a little less sleep as could only get FoP for 5:30-6:30 where I wanted to leave at 5:30 so we'll go through right at 5:30. Hopefully back to room by 7:30 and lights out at 8 (so only 6 hours of sleep that night).
Sat - 2am wakeup, 3am on the bus to start and back to room. Arrive MK at 2:15 depart for hotel at 5:30pm. Lights out at 7pm.
Sun - 2am wakeup, 3am on the bus to start and back to room. Arrive EP at 5pm and doesn't matter how long we stay out.

We plan on messing with our sleep schedule starting the Saturday before to be in bed around 7pm and up at 2am. Works out good because we fly out on Tuesday and have to be up at 3am anyways for the flight. Tuesday I won't worry as much about bedtime and keeping the schedule as we'll have a little bit of time to sleep in before the Expo.

I'm definitely scared with how "busy" our plan seems. Our initial plan was no parks. Do stuff like check out DS and mini golfing but it's our first opportunity to see Pandora. So then our plan changed to just get a 1 day tix to AK. Which turned into just go back to Disney later in 2018 for a week and get an AP to use on this trip.

Last edited:
Wow @OrangeBirdGirl I applaud your dedication to quality sleep and prep time! I am a disaster when I get back to the hotel post-race, in the most phenomenal rush to just drop clothes, shower and slap on mascara so I can "race" to the parks. LOL! I am always a little envious of more methodical people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter