Official Goofy 2016 Thread

While I'm not doing Goofy in 2016, the next Marathon Weekend I run I am eyeing a Goofy spot. What kind of training advice did people learn along their travels (and race days) that no one ever really mention?

derekleigh, I don't have any advice, but here is my plan: I'm running the half with my (adult) kids as a fun run, easy pace and character picture stops. Then I'll hang out at the POFQ pool all day, have a nice restaurant dinner, then run the marathon harder, but not all out, with a friend of mine. We'll probably stop for a few character pics as well. Then I'm going to try and annihilate the all-you-can-eat at the Hoop Dee Do Revue.

Can't remember if I already posted here before but I am in for Goofy #5.

I'm just under 3 weeks away from the Chicago marathon and then I'll switch over to Goofy training.

While I'm not doing Goofy in 2016, the next Marathon Weekend I run I am eyeing a Goofy spot. What kind of training advice did people learn along their travels (and race days) that no one ever really mention?

I think your training plan needs to reflect your goal. Based on what your goal is for Goofy it will have an impact on how you train. My first Goofy was also the first time I ran a marathon. My goal was just to finish. I loosely followed a marathon training plan and added a couple back to back long runs on weekends. I wasn't particularly worried about my mid week runs. I ran the half with my wife at a pace about 3 or 4 minutes slower than my typical running pace. I ran the full an I think I missed my goal time by a little bit, but overall I enjoyed the weekend.
For goofy #2 I was slightly more rigourous. I trained a little harder and ran both the half and the full. Neither were at PR pace but both were faster than the year prior.

I think if you just want to finish both you can probably get by with just following a marathon training plan. If your on track to run 12 MM or faster I wouldn't worry about finishing Goofy. If your training pace is above that I might include more back to back training to make sure you can sustain your race pace for the whole distance and not get swept.

If you want to run both races I would modify an existing training plan. I'd probably look for a furman institute run less, run faster marathon training plan and add an extra running day on about half of your long run weekends. I'd make that run half the length of the that weekends longest run. ( I successfully used this type of training for Dopey a couple years ago. During that trip my goal was to break 6 hours for the half and full combined)

This year I've been using Hanson's Marathon method. It is a ton of running so I will probably stay on this plan but cut back 1 day a week after I complete the chicago Marathon.

If you are doing goofy or dopey you have a lot of mornings of getting to the marathon start. Staying at a monorail resort makes this much easier. The cheapest way to do this might be to rent DVC at BLT. If you could swing the cheapest studio its 14 points a night. I think points rent for about $14 so that'd put it at $196 a night. The next cheapest (and easier to get option) is the garden wing rooms at the contemporary.

Take time to get out and walk around. It's actually really good to get out and walk around post race. We usually go to the parks for a bit. I might not want to walk 10 miles during the day but I feel better if I get a couple miles of walking in after a race.

Compression gear can be your friend. It may just be a placebo, but I love putting on a pair of compression socks after I shower post race. You'll probably see a lot of people sporting them post race in the parks.

IamTrike- thanks for all of this feedback. I always am blown away by how much information people share here, by how much people are willing to share their experience to help others along the journey.
For my longer runs, I have to emphatically agree with you to keep moving afterwards ... It feels at the time soooo counterintuitive, but I think makes the world of difference!

Btw, this is my first Goofy, my first marathon. I chose to do it at Disney, because I knew that I would be supported here, even if I'm not a Boston qualifier!!
Thank you everyone!

IamTrike- thanks for all of this feedback. I always am blown away by how much information people share here, by how much people are willing to share their experience to help others along the journey.
For my longer runs, I have to emphatically agree with you to keep moving afterwards ... It feels at the time soooo counterintuitive, but I think makes the world of difference!

Btw, this is my first Goofy, my first marathon. I chose to do it at Disney, because I knew that I would be supported here, even if I'm not a Boston qualifier!!
Thank you everyone!

What pace are you running now? Doing Goofy for your first marathon is a lot of fun. I think the thing that was the biggest surprise to me is how much the half took out of me even with going much slower than my normal pace. Do you run the whole time or do you do run/walk? If you run the whole time you'll want to make sure you do some of your training runs at the slower pace for the half marathon. If you do run walk it's easier because you can just adjust your intervals during the half to give yourself more walking time.

Unless you really need to get a certain time, I'd definitely recommend running both races for fun. There aren't many races around that offer the amount and variety of on-course entertainment that Disney does, so you might as well take advantage of it while you can. Stop for photos with the characters, take in the sights and sounds around you, and make the most of the morning. I've done this for all of my Goofy and Dopey races except one where I absolutely had to run a specific time as a qualifier for another event. It wasn't a ton of fun to have to pass by all the characters, spectators, WISH cheerleaders, etc., without having an opportunity to stop and soak it all in. And if you do decide to run for fun, try to run slowly enough, or stop enough to make your time longer, that you can stop and ride the coaster in Animal Kingdom. :)

Thank you everyone!
Most of us are not. :)

You will love Goofy!

If we all just maintain our current pace for the next 20 or 30 years most of us could qualify.

If we all just maintain our current pace for the next 20 or 30 years most of us could qualify.
As a 48 year old runner all I can say is, if you are able to do this, you are more fortunate than me. Age takes it toll.

What pace are you running now? Doing Goofy for your first marathon is a lot of fun. I think the thing that was the biggest surprise to me is how much the half took out of me even with going much slower than my normal pace. Do you run the whole time or do you do run/walk? If you run the whole time you'll want to make sure you do some of your training runs at the slower pace for the half marathon. If you do run walk it's easier because you can just adjust your intervals during the half to give yourself more walking time.

I run/ walk for now. Like many, for me Disney races aren't about speed, especially how much they cost!! Even so, these distances are accomplishments, distances to be respected and treated accordingly!

Which brings me to a dilemma I've been pondering. I'm following the Galloway training for the Goofy- it's called the intermediate ( no beginner available!!)
It has Tues. And Thurs 45 min runs, and now I'm into the alternating short 3-4 mile weekend run then the weekend runs of back to back days that are increasing.
My question is, are 2 45 min days during the week really enough to build up the stamina for this endurance event??

I'm 58, I've been running for 2.5 years but last winter killed my running, and this summer I contracted Lyme, so my running hasn't been feeling strong at ALL til this past weekends 13 mile run- 12:20mm (Yay me!)
I shifted the days of the schedule to be able to run with a group I found recently who meet on Wednesdays.
But I keep feeling like I should have another day of running in there...
Have any of you used this training schedule and was it enough? Any feedback gratefully received!

Which brings me to a dilemma I've been pondering. I'm following the Galloway training for the Goofy- it's called the intermediate ( no beginner available!!)
It has Tues. And Thurs 45 min runs, and now I'm into the alternating short 3-4 mile weekend run then the weekend runs of back to back days that are increasing.
My question is, are 2 45 min days during the week really enough to build up the stamina for this endurance event??

I'm 58, I've been running for 2.5 years but last winter killed my running, and this summer I contracted Lyme, so my running hasn't been feeling strong at ALL til this past weekends 13 mile run- 12:20mm (Yay me!)
I shifted the days of the schedule to be able to run with a group I found recently who meet on Wednesdays.
But I keep feeling like I should have another day of running in there...
Have any of you used this training schedule and was it enough? Any feedback gratefully received!

For what it's worth, I'm 48 and started up running again (after about a 15 year layoff) 3 years ago. I use the Galloway plan as a "base".

To address your question about the two weekday runs, I've found that between my work/life scheduled and current physical condition two weekday runs serve me well.

However, I have found that I need to increase them from the 45 min. What works best for me (and I stress 'for me') is when my two weekday runs range between 6.5-7.5 miles. The reason I did that is that (again, 'for me') I did not feel a couple of 30-45 min runs prepared me enough for the long runs on the weekends.

So, I do think the two weekday runs works find but I also needed to increase the duration/distance for the plan to work for me. Hope that helps you with your planning!

Sorry that you had to go through Lyme disease. It's impressive you have bounced back so quickly! I would have been sidelined for a year (or more)!

I think your training plan needs to reflect your goal. Based on what your goal is for Goofy it will have an impact on how you train. My first Goofy was also the first time I ran a marathon. My goal was just to finish. I loosely followed a marathon training plan and added a couple back to back long runs on weekends. I wasn't particularly worried about my mid week runs. I ran the half with my wife at a pace about 3 or 4 minutes slower than my typical running pace. I ran the full an I think I missed my goal time by a little bit, but overall I enjoyed the weekend.
For goofy #2 I was slightly more rigourous. I trained a little harder and ran both the half and the full. Neither were at PR pace but both were faster than the year prior.

I think if you just want to finish both you can probably get by with just following a marathon training plan. If your on track to run 12 MM or faster I wouldn't worry about finishing Goofy. If your training pace is above that I might include more back to back training to make sure you can sustain your race pace for the whole distance and not get swept.

If you want to run both races I would modify an existing training plan. I'd probably look for a furman institute run less, run faster marathon training plan and add an extra running day on about half of your long run weekends. I'd make that run half the length of the that weekends longest run. ( I successfully used this type of training for Dopey a couple years ago. During that trip my goal was to break 6 hours for the half and full combined)

This year I've been using Hanson's Marathon method. It is a ton of running so I will probably stay on this plan but cut back 1 day a week after I complete the chicago Marathon.

If you are doing goofy or dopey you have a lot of mornings of getting to the marathon start. Staying at a monorail resort makes this much easier. The cheapest way to do this might be to rent DVC at BLT. If you could swing the cheapest studio its 14 points a night. I think points rent for about $14 so that'd put it at $196 a night. The next cheapest (and easier to get option) is the garden wing rooms at the contemporary.

Take time to get out and walk around. It's actually really good to get out and walk around post race. We usually go to the parks for a bit. I might not want to walk 10 miles during the day but I feel better if I get a couple miles of walking in after a race.

Compression gear can be your friend. It may just be a placebo, but I love putting on a pair of compression socks after I shower post race. You'll probably see a lot of people sporting them post race in the parks.

Unless you really need to get a certain time, I'd definitely recommend running both races for fun. There aren't many races around that offer the amount and variety of on-course entertainment that Disney does, so you might as well take advantage of it while you can. Stop for photos with the characters, take in the sights and sounds around you, and make the most of the morning. I've done this for all of my Goofy and Dopey races except one where I absolutely had to run a specific time as a qualifier for another event. It wasn't a ton of fun to have to pass by all the characters, spectators, WISH cheerleaders, etc., without having an opportunity to stop and soak it all in. And if you do decide to run for fun, try to run slowly enough, or stop enough to make your time longer, that you can stop and ride the coaster in Animal Kingdom. :)

Thank you both for your insight. I ran my first full at this year's Marathon Weekend and finished 4:41. This was a very laid back effort as I wanted to enjoy the race as well as the post-race activities. I would probably be closer to a 4:00/4:15 mark with harder training. Plus I had done various runs in the week leading up to the full, some runs were easy (~9:00 mm) others were hard (~7:00 mm). My PR for a Half is 1:55.

Truly my goal. would be to run both races around a 9:30-10:00 mm, but more importantly finished comfortably. I plan to train hard to a October marathon and then November - December start running longer back-to-back runs in prep for January

For what it's worth, I'm 48 and started up running again (after about a 15 year layoff) 3 years ago. I use the Galloway plan as a "base".

To address your question about the two weekday runs, I've found that between my work/life scheduled and current physical condition two weekday runs serve me well.

However, I have found that I need to increase them from the 45 min. What works best for me (and I stress 'for me') is when my two weekday runs range between 6.5-7.5 miles. The reason I did that is that (again, 'for me') I did not feel a couple of 30-45 min runs prepared me enough for the long runs on the weekends.

So, I do think the two weekday runs works find but I also needed to increase the duration/distance for the plan to work for me. Hope that helps you with your planning!

Sorry that you had to go through Lyme disease. It's impressive you have bounced back so quickly! I would have been sidelined for a year (or more)!

Thanks for the help!!
I'm feeling the same way.... Like 45 minutes which for me is somewhere 3 - 4 miles doesn't support the longer weekends. Did you come to the 6.5-7.5 by trial and error, or are you trying to hit a weekly mileage.... Or is it what fits into your schedule?!- we do have to take into account the rest of our lives too!! Lol!

... And yes the Lyme takes your legs out from under you... But running is putting them back!!

I'm feeling the same way.... Like 45 minutes which for me is somewhere 3 - 4 miles doesn't support the longer weekends. Did you come to the 6.5-7.5 by trial and error, or are you trying to hit a weekly mileage.... Or is it what fits into your schedule?!- we do have to take into account the rest of our lives too!! Lol!

45 min runs just made the weekend runs seem so daunting. I arrived at running 6.5 because that's a quarter-marathon. I figure if I can get my "normal" run to 1/4 marathon, running a marathon isn't "too" daunting (from a psychological view). After that, it's more a function of my available routes around my home - I can adjust the route to get 7.5 or even 8 without having to repeat/lap. (And I *HATE* to repeat portions of a route...it's a weird personal quirk of mine). Anything beyond 8, I have to go out to one of the local running trails.

I would have the same concern. I felt better training for Goofy with 4 days per week of running - 2 shorter runs (3-5 miles), 1 mid-distance run (started at 3 miles and topped out at 10 miles) and 1 long run (started at 6 miles and topped out at 20 miles). That worked better for my schedule.

Thank you both for your insight. I ran my first full at this year's Marathon Weekend and finished 4:41. This was a very laid back effort as I wanted to enjoy the race as well as the post-race activities. I would probably be closer to a 4:00/4:15 mark with harder training. Plus I had done various runs in the week leading up to the full, some runs were easy (~9:00 mm) others were hard (~7:00 mm). My PR for a Half is 1:55.

Truly my goal. would be to run both races around a 9:30-10:00 mm, but more importantly finished comfortably. I plan to train hard to a October marathon and then November - December start running longer back-to-back runs in prep for January

That's almost exactly my plan for this year. I've been going through Hanson's advanced marathon training plan to train for chicago during the middle of october. After that I am going to ease up and have a less strenuous training for Goofy.

derekleigh, I don't have any advice, but here is my plan: I'm running the half with my (adult) kids as a fun run, easy pace and character picture stops. Then I'll hang out at the POFQ pool all day, have a nice restaurant dinner, then run the marathon harder, but not all out, with a friend of mine. We'll probably stop for a few character pics as well. Then I'm going to try and annihilate the all-you-can-eat at the Hoop Dee Do Revue.

I will have to keep an eye out for you. That is where DGF and I will be relaxing post race as well. Only difference is we are going to tackle Chef Mickey's post marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter