*****OFFICIAL July 2012 Thread! Feelin' HOT HOT HOT!

Bangzoom - I am sorry Jonathan had to experience sickness on the way home. What a bummer... Hope he is doing beter now. Glad you had a wonderful time at Disney and you made it home safe...:grouphug:

Thank you! He seems much better today. So far, so good. He is playing with his new Star Wars toys that my parents bought him at DHS! :thumbsup2

Dealing with Jonathan being sick the last couple of days on the way home, it hadn't sunk in that we won't be at WDW again for another 2 years. Today while I was unpacking, it sunk in...and now the Disney withdrawal begins. Oh well...but we will be booking a cruise pretty soon for next summer. My parents' 40th anniversary is next July and we are planning a family cruise to celebrate. We should be booking in the next 6 to 8 weeks or so. Somehow having a vacation booked makes things more happy...even if it is still almost a year away!

And even though WDW is still almost 2 years away, it doesn't stop me from continuing to research and look at different things. DH and I were talking about it the last couple of days we were at WDW and we said we would like to do different things next time, like spend a little less time in the major theme parks and spend a day at Disney Quest (it opens later in the morning so means a later start!), more pool time, maybe a water park, more relaxing time than this trip had. We were on the go constantly much more this time than we were 2 years ago, and we spent more hours at a time in the parks which made it more tiring, and gave us less time between the parks and dinner. I think a later dinner ADR is also in order from now on, now that the kids are getting bigger and able to stay up later than they used to. But that's what makes every trip unique...the kids are at different ages and we can do different things!

We're home. We had a wonderful time at Disney World!!! However, we had to cut our trip home on the road short one day. We were supposed to spend the whole weekend in Williamsburg, VA but we left yesterday morning instead. My 5-year-old son Jonathan was sick on Thursday after we left WDW. We had breakfast at Chef Mickey's, he was fine, but then about an hour and a half into the trip, he threw up. We had to pull over on the side of the road to clean up, since there was no place in sight. When we hit the road again, he fell asleep. He slept an hour and then was fine, playful and cheerful as usual. Then we stopped at Cracker Barrel for lunch about 3 hours later. I allowed him to drink some water. He was hungry so I allowed him to eat a few saltine crackers. He said he felt fine. We hit the road again, and about 2 hours later he got sick again. He was fine right before, playful and everything. He said he was fine again. We hit the road and he fell asleep.

We checked into the hotel about 4 hours later in South Carolina. Jonathan said he was fine, and very hungry. I had him drink some water, and he was OK. DH went to K-Mart to pick up some upholstery cleaner for the car, and he also got some Gatorade. They were expecting a bad storm where we were staying so we decided to order dinner rather than go out. The only thing was pizza (not crazy about it outside NYC, but it was fine for the night). I asked the pizza place if they could give us a side of plain pasta but they said the pasta is already baked with sauce. So I told DH to pick up some Easy mac for Jonathan and we would just give him the macaroni without the cheese in it.

Jonathan drank some Gatorade and was fine. He ate his plain macaroni and said he felt great. He watched some TV and was joking around with his brother and my nieces. Then, about an hour after he ate, he threw up again. I was frantic, thinking something serious was wrong (I am a huge worry wart). I called the pediatrician and he said it sounded like it could be a nasty stomach virus. He said only to give him liquids the following day, and then the morning after that to try a piece of toast or a few crackers. So the following day on the drive to Virginia, I gave him little sips of Gatorade and he did great with that. He did not get sick once.

The plan for yesterday was for DH to stay at the hotel with Jonathan and take it easy while I was going to take Philip (my 7-year-old) to Busch Gardens with the rest of the family. We went to breakfast in the hotel and Jonathan said he was very very hungry. When he woke up I gave him some Gatorade and he did great with that. So at breakfast I did what the doctor has said and gave him a piece of toast, plain. He ate only 3 bites and said he wanted other things to eat but I knew I couldn't give him those things. He drank a little more Gatorade. When we left breakfast and were walking back to the room, he threw up in the hallway. That was when I decided we needed to come home, and I got very scared. I called the pediatrician to see if he thought I should bring him to an emergency room right away or come home. I had already made an appointment for tomorrow morning to see what is going on. He said that as long as he has no signs of dehydration, we should just leave to come home. He said only liquids the rest of the day and then I can try some light food in the evening.

I had him drinking Gatorade on the trip home and he was fine the whole time. I gave him some plain white rice last night and he tolerated it fine. No problem at all. He went to bed about 3 hours later and slept through the night. This morning I gave him a little amount of Rice Krispies and some water. He was fine. About an hour ago I gave him 5 saltine crackers and some more water. So far so good.

I did read that there had been a nasty stomach virus at WDW in June and July, that several people on a special safari tour at Animal Kingdom had contracted. We did not go to Animal Kingdom, but you never know, it could be the same bug. I am hoping it is not an allergy to wheat or soy, since he did fine with the rice products. I am waiting now to see if he has a reaction to the crackers in the next couple of hours (wheat flour).

The weird thing too, is that a week before we ate at Chef Mickey's and hit the road, we had eaten dinner at California Grill and he threw up 3 times that night. He was fine after that and for the whole week until the incident began in the car. Those were the only 2 restaurants we ate in at the Contemporary...I am wondering if somehow there is a connection there, or just coincidence. I don't know...we still had a wonderful trip but we are sure happy to be home after the last couple of days!

I am so sorry hon!!!!! Personally I think it's from the swimming pools or the water parks. My Caitlin is sick today :( It started with a fever the night before our departure, vomiting on the plane home, then fever again...but she slept though the night (yay!) but woke up today with fever and dry heaving. My poor baby. She is on the mend though. We didn't stay on site.

My girlfriend's DD barfed in the bed the night before her departure too!

We didn't eat at Chef Mickey's btw. And we spent very little time with my girlfriend, other than swimming. That was the one thing we did together.

Too much pee in those public swimming areas!

Oh and I totally agree, it's cool how the trips change as the kids grow. I love that about WDW! Every trip we take is different as they grow into new rides. And my kids are FINALLY NOT SCARED of the characters...only took 7 years LOL

I am so sorry hon!!!!! Personally I think it's from the swimming pools or the water parks. My Caitlin is sick today :( It started with a fever the night before our departure, vomiting on the plane home, then fever again...but she slept though the night (yay!) but woke up today with fever and dry heaving. My poor baby. She is on the mend though. We didn't stay on site.

My girlfriend's DD barfed in the bed the night before her departure too!

We didn't eat at Chef Mickey's btw. And we spent very little time with my girlfriend, other than swimming. That was the one thing we did together.

Too much pee in those public swimming areas!

Oh and I totally agree, it's cool how the trips change as the kids grow. I love that about WDW! Every trip we take is different as they grow into new rides. And my kids are FINALLY NOT SCARED of the characters...only took 7 years LOL

I'm sorry you and your girlfriend also had to deal with the stomach thing. Sorry it was on the plane too, must have frightened your little one. Poor baby.

I was also thinking it was from the pool, in particular the kiddie pool but my 7-year-old also went into the kiddie pool with Jonathan, and so did DH and me. My nieces were in there at a point too. It was a couple of days before he got sick. As of now, Jonathan is the only one who got sick. Maybe because he is the youngest and has the weakest immune system, I don't know. But I already told him no more kiddie pools, they're a germ fest. Come to think of it, he had thrown up a week before we left WDW too, and the day before that he was also in the kiddie pool for a while. Must just be a nasty bug going around over there and he caught it. I'm still keeping our appointment at the doctor tomorrow morning just to be safe though and to see what he says. If nothing else, perhaps he can give us some precautions for next time.

And yes, I love it that Jonathan grew into some more rides this time! He absolutely loved Soarin', Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain!! And Philip went on Rockin' Roller Coaster for the first time and really liked it too. He went on again when my nieces joined us! :goodvibes

Thank you! He seems much better today. So far, so good. He is playing with his new Star Wars toys that my parents bought him at DHS! :thumbsup2

Dealing with Jonathan being sick the last couple of days on the way home, it hadn't sunk in that we won't be at WDW again for another 2 years. Today while I was unpacking, it sunk in...and now the Disney withdrawal begins. Oh well...but we will be booking a cruise pretty soon for next summer. My parents' 40th anniversary is next July and we are planning a family cruise to celebrate. We should be booking in the next 6 to 8 weeks or so. Somehow having a vacation booked makes things more happy...even if it is still almost a year away!

And even though WDW is still almost 2 years away, it doesn't stop me from continuing to research and look at different things. DH and I were talking about it the last couple of days we were at WDW and we said we would like to do different things next time, like spend a little less time in the major theme parks and spend a day at Disney Quest (it opens later in the morning so means a later start!), more pool time, maybe a water park, more relaxing time than this trip had. We were on the go constantly much more this time than we were 2 years ago, and we spent more hours at a time in the parks which made it more tiring, and gave us less time between the parks and dinner. I think a later dinner ADR is also in order from now on, now that the kids are getting bigger and able to stay up later than they used to. But that's what makes every trip unique...the kids are at different ages and we can do different things!

I agree with you about our Kids changing year after year. I have been taking my DD to Disney since she was 2 years old. Midori has assisted me in planning our itinerary for quite some time now. I have seen her interests and the amount of time spent at the parks change dramatically. 50% Park and 50% Resort, Midori loves to Resort hop now. DD is caught between Polynesian 2013 or going west to Disneyland. I will pretty much leave the decision to her what we will do next year.

I agree with you about our Kids changing year after year. I have been taking my DD to Disney since she was 2 years old. Midori has assisted me in planning our itinerary for quite some time now. I have seen her interests and the amount of time spent at the parks change dramatically. 50% Park and 50% Resort, Midori loves to Resort hop now. DD is caught between Polynesian 2013 or going west to Disneyland. I will pretty much leave the decision to her what we will do next year.

We want to try DL too. The kids wanted to know if we could go next year, but with the cruise already planned, not going to happen. So we are doing three days at the World before the cruise. Hopefully by then, most of Fantasyland will be open.

That's so nice that Midori is involved with all the planning. It gets more and more exciting for kids as they get older. Polynesian is a beautiful resort. I am hoping they add a DVC at some point over the years like they did at Contemporary and they are at Grand Floridian. I would love to stay at the Poly. We go there for dining...ended up there 3 times this trip!

We also talk about going west to DL. But, part of me is afraid we would think it is too small and doesn't have enough. It would definitely have to be part of a big California trip where we would see LA and San Diego, and possible drive up to San Francisco. I know they have a lot of the same rides in a smaller space and the weather is very different, but one of the things I love most about WDW is the World Showcase at Epcot and I would really miss that at DL.

We want to try DL too. The kids wanted to know if we could go next year, but with the cruise already planned, not going to happen. So we are doing three days at the World before the cruise. Hopefully by then, most of Fantasyland will be open.

We are going to plan a cruise for next summer too, but not a Disney cruise. We're looking into Carnival out of NY to San Juan, Grand Turk and St. Thomas. We did the Bahamas and Florida sailing on NCL last summer (and a few times before) so we are avoiding the Bahamas next year. We loved it there, just want to go someplace different.

DLR is really different than WDW. I been online this past week researching a little. I think if I am not wrong, you can not make dining reservation online. You have to call to make dining reservations. Their are only 3 Main Resort Hotels, the rest are Good Neighbor Hotels. No complimentary transportation to and from the airport to the resort etc..etc..:confused3 I think the cost of a trip would be at least 30% more than WDW. NO Late night magic hours, only morning hours. :confused3 SO it would be very different..

We are going to plan a cruise for next summer too, but not a Disney cruise. We're looking into Carnival out of NY to San Juan, Grand Turk and St. Thomas. We did the Bahamas and Florida sailing on NCL last summer (and a few times before) so we are avoiding the Bahamas next year. We loved it there, just want to go someplace different.

Have never cruised before so we thought we would start small with the Bahamas and a four night cruise. A little nervous about it. We were supposed to go this summer, but I got so nervous about it that we put it off until next year. DH is the one that really wants to go. It's a little out of my comfort zone, but I have 11 months to warm up to the idea.

That's so nice that Midori is involved with all the planning. It gets more and more exciting for kids as they get older. Polynesian is a beautiful resort. I am hoping they add a DVC at some point over the years like they did at Contemporary and they are at Grand Floridian. I would love to stay at the Poly. We go there for dining...ended up there 3 times this trip!

We also talk about going west to DL. But, part of me is afraid we would think it is too small and doesn't have enough. It would definitely have to be part of a big California trip where we would see LA and San Diego, and possible drive up to San Francisco. I know they have a lot of the same rides in a smaller space and the weather is very different, but one of the things I love most about WDW is the World Showcase at Epcot and I would really miss that at DL.

I agree with you 100%. My comfort zone is WDW and I would feel so out place at DLR. Completely lost as to what to do next....

Cruise would be a nice change, but I heard the cost is quite steep. We might have to skip one WDW trip to attempt a Disney Cruise. Who know's maybe it will be possible in the future.

Have never cruised before so we thought we would start small with the Bahamas and a four night cruise. A little nervous about it. We were supposed to go this summer, but I got so nervous about it that we put it off until next year. DH is the one that really wants to go. It's a little out of my comfort zone, but I have 11 months to warm up to the idea.

I bet you will love it!!! It's definitely a good idea to do a shorter cruise as your first one if you are unsure. But you will be craving more!

My father was very nervous to go on a cruise also. My mother wanted to go for years but we didn't. Then we were on a WDW trip in 1989 and we did a 1-day cruise to nowhere (12 hours at sea) to try it out. We all had a great time and my father was OK with it. He is claustrophobic and thought he would feel too confined and out of control. But he didn't feel that way at all. He was still nervous about going on a longer cruise, but he decided he would try a 1-week cruise the following year. So in 1990 we went on a cruise to Bermuda. As soon as we boarded the ship and my dad saw the array of activities and how gorgeous the ship was, he stopped and thanked my mother for convincing him to try it the year before since it made him a bit more comfortable. My parents have since been on about 25 cruises! My dad doesn't feel confined at all, and he was also nervous about motion sickness. We all just take Bonine (lasts 24 hrs) once a day starting an hour before we sail, and we have all always been fine! :thumbsup2

I think the only thing to worry about is that cruising becomes addictive! In an ideal world, I would alternate each summer...Cruise, then WDW, then cruise then WDW, etc. But DH prefers to cruise every 4 years instead of every other year. He likes it and everything, he just wants to do different types of vacations besides cruises and Disney. The only reason we are going on a cruise again next summer even though we did one last summer, is because next July is my parents' 40th anniversary so the whole family is going.

We are back and had an amazing time. It was a different trip for us this year because the kids are older and they have different interests. They didnt really care at all about the characters. The only ones they wanted to see were Phinius & Ferb and Doug & Russell. We went to MK 3 days, Epcot 2 days, Hollywood St 2 days and Animal Kingdom 1 day. We were able to ride every single ride. Some we rode numerous times. LOVED PO Riverside!

So, any cons to our trip? The big South American tour groups were a bit annoying with singing and clapping, but not terrible. Waiting for a bus was sometimes bothersome, but not completely awful. Had a bit of rain 2 of the days, but not enough to warrent wearing our ponchos. Oh, and we thought the quick service meal plan was too much food. We would never eat that much normally, but we did since we could.

So, there you have it. Overall, a fabulous trip that we will remember forever. :)

anjalee6 said:

Anjalee be careful going on a cruise because before you know it you will be addicted! We love cruising as well and have discovered it is about the same cost as a Disney vaca. I would highly suggest a balcony cabin. It is nice to be able to go out and enjoy morning.g coffee or just to sit and watch the did jump/fly.

We are back and had an amazing time. It was a different trip for us this year because the kids are older and they have different interests. They didnt really care at all about the characters. The only ones they wanted to see were Phinius & Ferb and Doug & Russell. We went to MK 3 days, Epcot 2 days, Hollywood St 2 days and Animal Kingdom 1 day. We were able to ride every single ride. Some we rode numerous times. LOVED PO Riverside!

So, any cons to our trip? The big South American tour groups were a bit annoying with singing and clapping, but not terrible. Waiting for a bus was sometimes bothersome, but not completely awful. Had a bit of rain 2 of the days, but not enough to warrent wearing our ponchos. Oh, and we thought the quick service meal plan was too much food. We would never eat that much normally, but we did since we could.

So, there you have it. Overall, a fabulous trip that we will remember forever. :)

Anty30 - Glad to hear you and your family had a Wonderful vacation and made it home safe. We also enjoyed Port Orleans.

Anjalee be careful going on a cruise because before you know it you will be addicted! We love cruising as well and have discovered it is about the same cost as a Disney vaca. I would highly suggest a balcony cabin. It is nice to be able to go out and enjoy morning.g coffee or just to sit and watch the did jump/fly.

I have hearded it was very adicting. Once you go, it's like a Disney Vacation, you have to go and go again.

I bet you will love it!!! It's definitely a good idea to do a shorter cruise as your first one if you are unsure. But you will be craving more!

My father was very nervous to go on a cruise also. My mother wanted to go for years but we didn't. Then we were on a WDW trip in 1989 and we did a 1-day cruise to nowhere (12 hours at sea) to try it out. We all had a great time and my father was OK with it. He is claustrophobic and thought he would feel too confined and out of control. But he didn't feel that way at all. He was still nervous about going on a longer cruise, but he decided he would try a 1-week cruise the following year. So in 1990 we went on a cruise to Bermuda. As soon as we boarded the ship and my dad saw the array of activities and how gorgeous the ship was, he stopped and thanked my mother for convincing him to try it the year before since it made him a bit more comfortable. My parents have since been on about 25 cruises! My dad doesn't feel confined at all, and he was also nervous about motion sickness. We all just take Bonine (lasts 24 hrs) once a day starting an hour before we sail, and we have all always been fine! :thumbsup2

I think the only thing to worry about is that cruising becomes addictive! In an ideal world, I would alternate each summer...Cruise, then WDW, then cruise then WDW, etc. But DH prefers to cruise every 4 years instead of every other year. He likes it and everything, he just wants to do different types of vacations besides cruises and Disney. The only reason we are going on a cruise again next summer even though we did one last summer, is because next July is my parents' 40th anniversary so the whole family is going.

Hopefully I will love the cruise. I have to do a lot of research, but it will help me pass the time! :goodvibes

We didn't get a balcony, just a really large window room with more space, but I might have to look into the balcony. I have never been seasick before so I don't know what I am worried about. My dad has had many boats and he has taken us out on many boat trips, plus I have been on ferry boats in really bad weather and never gotten sick. I am more nervous about not being able to leave and being stuck out in the ocean if I don't like it. Lol. The stupid things we worry about huh!

We are heading out today for a few days at Williamsburg. Wanted to do something before school starts and since both DH and I teach, we start work again on the 20th. Only two weeks of vacation left. Ugh! Where did the time go?

How is he today? Caitlin is TERRIBLE!!!! She has had on and off high fever for two days and constant dry heaving. It is heart breaking. I HATE this! This is a horrible horrible virus.:sad2:

Hopefully I will love the cruise. I have to do a lot of research, but it will help me pass the time! :goodvibes

We didn't get a balcony, just a really large window room with more space, but I might have to look into the balcony. I have never been seasick before so I don't know what I am worried about. My dad has had many boats and he has taken us out on many boat trips, plus I have been on ferry boats in really bad weather and never gotten sick. I am more nervous about not being able to leave and being stuck out in the ocean if I don't like it. Lol. The stupid things we worry about huh!

Try cruisecritic.com. They have plenty of reviews, ship info, port info, etc. They also have message boards similar to the DIS. I love it!! Just remember, like here, reviews are very subjective. I ignore the cruise reviews that say they had nothing to eat for the whole time, for example!

Oh and if you're good on small boats, you will be fine on a big ship. DH got very sick on a fishing boat once but has never been sick on 5 cruises. And don't worry about being in the middle of the ocean...you won't even realize it, there is so much to do. But it is very nice to sit on deck during the day at sea and watch the ocean. :thumbsup2

We are heading out today for a few days at Williamsburg. Wanted to do something before school starts and since both DH and I teach, we start work again on the 20th. Only two weeks of vacation left. Ugh! Where did the time go?

Aww, I love Williamsburg! We were there on Saturday when we left a day early because Jonathan was sick. We will return one day and I will get to show all of them how nice it is. Enjoy! :goodvibes

How is he today? Caitlin is TERRIBLE!!!! She has had on and off high fever for two days and constant dry heaving. It is heart breaking. I HATE this! This is a horrible horrible virus.:sad2:

He is fine today. His first day throwing up was Thursday morning. Yesterday he was fine too but I was being very careful about what I was feeding him...still am. I took him to the doctor today and he said all seems fine and it was a very nasty stomach virus. He said we did a good job keeping him hydrated, which was my main concern at the time. He was sick for 3 days though. Thursday it was very bad, Friday he was only on tiny sips of gatorade throughout the day and he seemed OK, and on Saturday morning when he had 3 bites of toast he threw up. I gave him sips of gatorade that day too, starting a couple of hours later, and he was OK. When we got home Saturday night I gave him a very small amount of plain rice and he was fine since then. The doctor did say the kiddie pools are notorious for germs...never again for that! I'm so sorry Caitlin is still suffering so much. Is she holding down any liquids?

Love all the info on cruises. We are doing our first DCL cruise in January (Dream) and I can't wait!!

As for our July trip, my DD7 and I had a fabulous time!!:dance3: Since it was just the two of us, we had a lot more freedom to do what we wanted to do. For example, we did 3 parks in 8 hours!! (Yes, really!!) and another day after going to Typhoon Lagoon, we went to MK at 9pm (even though it closed at 11pm).

It was just fun to do!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter