OFFICIAL New Animal Kingdom Experiences UPDATE 5/28: Reports from first night in Post #2

We were a group of 5, two in chairs, that went Friday. Saw the dancers in Discovery Island, tumblers in Africa, the tree light (no stories) and lots of happy people.

As to JB, here's what I posted in another thread.
I'm not sure what people were actually expecting. I thought it was really good, and fit with what they do at AK, what they CAN do, and what it was billed as: musical showcase of the Jungle Book on the water.

We went to the second showing on Friday with FP- it was pretty clear from the amount of clipboard carrying CM's that this was a test run of everything. The queue and weird winding of the FP+ line was horrid- we crossed Kali Rapids line, then the pathway to Everest, with line jumpers everywhere AND people running around us in line because we were too slow. CMs at the benches were trying to catch people but weren't arguing when people said they'd already been checked. We got in line right around 9:55 and would have been in the front of the second/third section over save for we had wheelchairs in our party, so we were at the very top and over.

Had a really good view of one of the secondary floats and dancers, and side projections. There were additional dancers in the aisles at times, and live musicians on floats as well. I think the projections just needed more water- the sprays didn't meet in the middle.
The dancing was really nice, and fit along with the music, story and theme. Lots of traditional influences.

I'm not sure what people were expecting, really. Maybe more like Lion King the Musical costumes? I thought the formal dress looked beautiful, but I could see where you'd expect costumes for the actors. There's no where to change, though- they're on the floats from beginning to end so it'd be a bigger cast. The floats could be more enhanced, but then they wouldn't fit every scene. You can't have the huge pyro the other parks have because of the animals- it's already a huge issue with the night safaris and shifting the animals sleeping schedules. The screaming from Everest was distracting as anything- honestly, I wish they'd pause it while the show is on or close it early like TSMM. It's right behind the FP section and can just cover the sound.

Was it Fantasmic or Star Wars Fireworks? No, different experience. Was it Wishes? No. Was it the forecourt show? Nope, I wouldn't stop for that at all. Did I go into it expecting it to be? Nope.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Have I seen the new version of the movie? Nope. Would I see the AK show again? Yep, in a few weeks to see the differences with FP.

Then again, because it was scheduled I didn't have to spend the night waiting around to see it. Unlike the stories on the Tree, which are random. And on one side. Was in AK from 6-11 and never did see one.

Then again, I fully admit I like this type of dancing and storytelling. And I know the book and first movie. We went when it was full dark so that may have helped as well. View attachment 171671View attachment 171672 View attachment 171673View attachment 171674
Did you happen to notice if all of the wheelchair seating is at the top, like Fantamic? I will be there Wednesday with my mom who is in a wheelchair and we have fast passes.

It sounds like this show is on a par with Beauty and the Beast or the castle show or Festival of the Lion King or or Frozen sing along (which is fine) but a show of that level is not normally hyped to this degree or made to require dinner packages and such. I think that might be where the disappointment is. Imagine if Celebrate the Magic was in a closed amphitheater and they made you buy a $50 dinner to see it...
Just to be clear, you are not required to buy a dining package for the show. It's an option, just like fp or standby

Thanks for the reviews everyone!

I watched parts of the Jungle book show since it will likely be ROL once we get there, and I can see why people might be disappointed. It seems more in the spirit of Festival of the Lion king, more about showcasing the dancing and singing than the "Disney" aspects. The that type of thing appeals to me so I would enjoy it. It did seem a bit sparse though, and it would not surprise me if they added more effects as they came on line. Like other posters said, they had to throw something together with little notice.

The nighttime safari idea always made me a bit uncomfortable. One of the things I like about AK is that they really seem to care about the animals and try to replicate their habitats as much as possible. Now instead of having trucks rambling around their habitat for 8-10 hours a day, it is 16 hours a day. That has to put some stress on the animals and I am concerned that they aren't getting enough downtime. I am actually glad they aren't using spotlights etc...

I have the same hope for the end of Aug.

Yup, the whole reason I added another ticket to our trip was to go to AK at night on our arrival day just to see RoL. We're Aug 22 though so I think our chances are slim. Might just go to AK to do things we haven't done yet and see the tree awakening.

Thanks for the reviews everyone!

I watched parts of the Jungle book show since it will likely be ROL once we get there, and I can see why people might be disappointed. It seems more in the spirit of Festival of the Lion king, more about showcasing the dancing and singing than the "Disney" aspects. The that type of thing appeals to me so I would enjoy it. It did seem a bit sparse though, and it would not surprise me if they added more effects as they came on line. Like other posters said, they had to throw something together with little notice.

The nighttime safari idea always made me a bit uncomfortable. One of the things I like about AK is that they really seem to care about the animals and try to replicate their habitats as much as possible. Now instead of having trucks rambling around their habitat for 8-10 hours a day, it is 16 hours a day. That has to put some stress on the animals and I am concerned that they aren't getting enough downtime. I am actually glad they aren't using spotlights etc...
From what I've read and heard from Animal care services the animals are free to roam or go back to their night houses, they are getting care during the night and day.

@yulilin3

Thanks for your reviews. We are doing AK in the evening on Sat, June 11. Planning on spending 10 am - 2 pm at Typhoon Lagoon, head to AK around 5. Right now I have the following FP: 7:15-8:15 EE, 8:25-8:45 JB for 9 pm, 9:30-10:30 Safari. We're definitely sticking with JB regardless of the reviews because we love performers. Would like to ride Everest in the dark but bummed for no FP. Really not sure about the Safari in the dark now. Will it be super dark at 9:45? Should I try to switch to Safari 7:15-8:15, board close to 8:15 and standby EE in the dark after JB? Can't do a sunset time and JB at 9, which we don't want to do later. Also hope to see Lion King.

What would you do??

Last edited:
The screaming from Everest was distracting as anything- honestly, I wish they'd pause it while the show is on or close it early like TSMM. It's right behind the FP section and can just cover the sound.
This is exactly what I was worried about, and why it did seem to make sense to pause it... Even though that seemed like it was a potential logistical nightmare...

Wanted to thank everyone for their reviews and the information about last night. When I 1st started reading the reviews I was worried that this might not be something I would enjoy. But after reading them all, maybe I will. I have no real expectations going in. I did not watch any of the live feeds and stuff, rather see it myself. So going off the feed back here, not having any expectations, I think I may just enjoy it.

I haven't seen it yet - going in august and have my TH package booked. I hope they improve by then.

For those saying it's not a nighttime spectacular, then they shouldn't offer it with dining packages.

I haven't seen it yet - going in august and have my TH package booked. I hope they improve by then.

For those saying it's not a nighttime spectacular, then they shouldn't offer it with dining packages.

Exactly, its not like Disney had Beauty and the Beast or FOTLK dining packages.
Sorry folks but this JB show was absolutely marketed like something special.

@yulilin3

Thanks for your reviews. We are doing AK in the evening on Sat, June 11. Planning on spending 10 am - 2 pm at Typhoon Lagoon, head to AK around 5. Right now I have the following FP: 7:15-8:15 EE, 8:25-8:45 JB for 9 pm, 9:30-10:30 Safari. We're definitely sticking with JB regardless of the reviews because we love performers. Would like to ride Everest in the dark but bummed for no FP. Really not sure about the Safari in the dark now. Will it be super dark at 9:45? Should I try to switch to Safari 7:15-8:15, board close to 8:15 and standby EE in the dark after JB? Can't do a sunset time and JB at 9, which we don't want to do later. Also hope to see Lion King.

What would you do??
Something to consider is that during the night, when it's dark your eyes open up more, that's why if you ride haunted mansion at night you can see more details so I'm not sure that safari that late at night is a bad idea you might end up seeing better because your eyes will be adjusted for the night. . . I would keep the fp as they are. You can go on Everest after safari using the standby line, last night during the show the standby was 15 minutes

It sounds like this show is on a par with Beauty and the Beast or the castle show or Festival of the Lion King or or Frozen sing along (which is fine) but a show of that level is not normally hyped to this degree or made to require dinner packages and such. I think that might be where the disappointment is. Imagine if Celebrate the Magic was in a closed amphitheater and they made you buy a $50 dinner to see it...
I disagree, this is definitely at the bottom of the list. It's not nearly as good as the shows you mention. MO.

Yes I know but that's more limited. I don't think they would do that for the regular safari.
Oh, I agree with you! I guess I'd be surprised if they offered night vision goggles for the regular safari. My point is just that goggles would clearly enhance the experience... makes a lot more sense to me than floodlights in a few spots. I dunno... Not sure we'll do this at night... Maybe...

Oh, I agree with you! I guess I'd be surprised if they offered night vision goggles for the regular safari. My point is just that goggles would clearly enhance the experience... makes a lot more sense to me than floodlights in a few spots. I dunno... Not sure we'll do this at night... Maybe...
Yep. I think what I am going to do is get my FP for the safari during the day and then if the wait is 25 minutes or less at night I'll wait for the night safari. I don't know yet if I would use a FP for it at night.

Any further info on exactly where the dining package seats will be for JB? I know they are on the Dinoland side but are they just the same as the standby area or are they a section within that side? Just wondering if that provides better views overall than if you have FP+

Guess at the end of the day what I am trying to determine is if the surcharge for the dining package at Tusker House is worth it over the regular price or if the viewing experience is the exact same as if you do FP+ or even standby. Despite mixed reviews I still want to see the show but now not sure if I am willing to pay extra for it - so wondering if it does provide a better viewing experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter