Official Star Wars Half Marathon Thread...Jan 15-18th, 2015!!

Contacted DVC and they do not know if they will be offering early registration for DVC members :( Hopefully it's just too new for them to know.

I'm pretty annoyed with RunDisney announcing this after the Castaway Cay Challenge sold out. They know their events sell out in 24 hours or less, so why not announce all of this at the same time and let people make a choice? There are no flights from Orlando to LA that will arrive in time to make the Expo on Friday, so there is no way to do both the Castaway Cay Challenge and the Rebel Challenge. I may try and register for the Half because that is just how afflicted I am with RunDisney-itis, but I am still annoyed.

There are actually plenty of flights out of Orlando that get you to Anaheim in time for the Expo. You just can't run the 5k.

My big goal for 2015 was to run all of the runDisney races.

Then they came out with the Avengers Half. Which is boarder line busy work time for me and I'm not a fan of the theme. But I could swing it work wise and suck it up for the theme.

Now Star Wars. I knew this was coming, but a little part of me held out hope that it would be 2016 since it's already so late in the year.

No such luck.

Again, not a fan of the theme. I'm...just not. And the time. There is ONE weekend a year that I have to work. You guessed it - the weekend of January 16th. I'm already pushing it with Dopey (I'm actually taking zero vacation time that week - I get up, race, eat, work until 5 or 6, eat, maybe go to a park, go to sleep, rinse and repeat), I'm not quite sure how I'm going to manage approving 1099s on that Sunday while running the half...might have a different look to my fuel belt, carrying around blacked out 1099s, pens, and source documents instead of Gu or maybe I can have them left at the water stops (we start quality control at 9:00 EST).

This is going to take some thought. Do I give up my goal? Amend it to only include the races that were available when I made the goal? Although that feels kind of like cheating.

I'm so excited! My running buddy and I are definitely in for the Rebel Challenge, and hopefully we can talk my best friend into it as well!

I still don't get why they would move Tinker Bell to May instead of just scheduling the Star Wars half in May. I'll be coming down for both regardless, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Probably both because of Star Wars Weekends in WDW in May, and to move Tink and Princess further away from each other. That's my guess. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see the Pink Coast-to-Coast challenge medal come back, and another Star Wars race at WDW for another Coast-to-Coast special medal.

Contacted DVC and they do not know if they will be offering early registration for DVC members :( Hopefully it's just too new for them to know.

It's too new for DVC Member Services to have the info. For Avengers they didn't update the member website with the early registration info until one or two days before. RunDisney replied to a tweet saying that DVC does get early registration for this one too :banana:

I'm in for the Rebel Challenge as long as I can get in. :rotfl2: Would love to do the 5k too, but I figured w/ Dopey the week before work will be happier if I go in on Friday. That's okay, there's always '16 and my wallet will be a tiny bit happier.

Best Western Park Place has rooms right now for $107 w/ AAA if people have started looking.

Hopefully AP/DVC doesn't sell out before June 6th. Need to wait until paycheck day (or just not spend any money at Disney this weekend for Star Wars Weekends)

Hopefully AP/DVC doesn't sell out before June 6th. Need to wait until paycheck day (or just not spend any money at Disney this weekend for Star Wars Weekends)

I think the chances of AP/DVC not filling up in the first hour or two are very slim.

I'm in for the Rebel Challenge as long as I can get in. :rotfl2: Would love to do the 5k too, but I figured w/ Dopey the week before work will be happier if I go in on Friday. That's okay, there's always '16 and my wallet will be a tiny bit happier.

Best Western Park Place has rooms right now for $107 w/ AAA if people have started looking.

I should be good and just stay at home and drive, but my legs always hate mt afterwards! If you do end up registering, I hope I finally get to meet you!

Definitely not trying to stop you from doing a sister thread but what I have found is it gets really confusing for people to look back and forth trying to get info.... (I've also managed the Princess threads a couple times)usually the run disney stuff stays on the WISH boards. Again, totally up to you but hate to have you recreate everything that I am also putting time into.

Happy running!

It's there as an option. I personally prefer the opportunity to chat with as many people as possible who will be participating, and not everyone on the DIS knows the WISH board exists, so I find it helpful to have one of the Disneyland board as well. It's just an option for anyone else who feels they might benefit from it. I've been making threads for the runDisney events over there for a few years now and enjoy it. And for what it's worth, I'm not recreating what you are doing. To each his own, and I'll continue to post on both ;)

I should be good and just stay at home and drive, but my legs always hate mt afterwards! If you do end up registering, I hope I finally get to meet you!

It's there as an option. I personally prefer the opportunity to chat with as many people as possible who will be participating, and not everyone on the DIS knows the WISH board exists, so I find it helpful to have one of the Disneyland board as well. It's just an option for anyone else who feels they might benefit from it. I've been making threads for the runDisney events over there for a few years now and enjoy it. And for what it's worth, I'm not recreating what you are doing. To each his own, and I'll continue to post on both ;)

If you make a race thread in a DL forum it will get moved here anyway.

cool

It's too new for DVC Member Services to have the info. For Avengers they didn't update the member website with the early registration info until one or two days before. RunDisney replied to a tweet saying that DVC does get early registration for this one too :banana:

That's a huge relief! Was starting to panic that I wouldn't get early registration. Just need to keep checking the page daily for it to be listed.

We have APs & the Disney visa. Is it worth waiting for general registration to get the DV discount or should we just do the early AP registration and forget about the discount. I'm assuming it will sell out quickly on June 10.

We have APs & the Disney visa. Is it worth waiting for general registration to get the DV discount or should we just do the early AP registration and forget about the discount. I'm assuming it will sell out quickly on June 10.

You should not do general registration unless you have to. It's very likely to be a madhouse.

You should not do general registration unless you have to. It's very likely to be a madhouse.

I agree! It's better to safely get in than to risk the possibility of getting sold out for what amounts to a rather negligible discount (in my opinion). I would say it's just not worth the risk. June 10th is gonna be crazy!

:jumping1:

I can't wait, I already have an alarm set on my phone for the early AP registration!

I'm sticking to the 10k though, training for the Avengers half hasn't been very much fun the last few weeks with my choices being 100+ Vegas heat or a boring treadmill.

There's a Disney Visa discount?

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars theme at all, but since my goal was to do the Coast to Coast in 2015 and I was bummed when they moved the Tink to May(Jan works better than May for us with a DS graduating next year), I will suck it up and do it if we can register. :goodvibes

I still don't get why they would move Tinker Bell to May instead of just scheduling the Star Wars half in May. I'll be coming down for both regardless, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Because you'll be coming for both. Two visits vs one. They like your money. :)

Good to know. I am totally unfamiliar with DL.
I was thinking it was like WDW in that it was totally secluded and WAY out of the way from the rest of the world...however if you can actually walk from an outside hotel to the start line..its good to know...since I don't know how much their hotel rooms are right now.

How is the area there (Hojos)? You must have had to walk when it was dark outside to be at a race for an early start time. So I gather it isn't ... creepy...

The reason WDW was built the way it was (and he was sneaky about it, using other agents to buy the land so his name wasn't involved at all) was so that Anaheim didn't happen again. He built, then things built up around it. Disney gets to deal with neighborhood noise ordinances, which is why the fireworks aren't every day year round, etc.

It's not creepy.

If their Half start is in the same place it usually is (right near the 3 onsite hotels), I'd stay at Anabella if you can't stay onsite (and I would be expecting FAR more than $200/night onsite!). It's where I plan to stay for the Disneyland Half.

Lol, I thought I'd be able to handle this, but I guess the nerd in me can't! A Parsec is a unit of distance, not time! Hope I'm not embarrassing myself too much :lovestruc

In this galaxy and time it's distance. But unless you let George spin things, Han is using it for time. George and further authors have twisted it all to say that Han's a liar and that it's a distance involving light years and black holes...but I think that when George wrote the original script, he was using it as time.

They never know it. And then it happens. Day of, get up early and open the DVC page. Know where they "keep" the DVC registration pages so you can log in and get to that page quickly. Just before the time, log in. Just at the time, navigate to the rundisney page. Refresh refresh refresh.

If you make a race thread in a DL forum it will get moved here anyway.

Hasn't happened yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter