Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Wondering when the people at runDisney will update the internal web site info. I still don't see where they have announced the public registration date (8/9) under the "Registration" tab like other runs.

It's like the runDisney website is an afterthought for them but it is on the official schedule they put out as well as the passholder web page

run-disney-calendar-2016-17.jpg

It's like the runDisney website is an afterthought for them but it is on the official schedule they put out as well as the passholder web page

View attachment 173860
Yes, I've seen that page. But I will be happy and feel more confident when I see it where I have to actually register on the runDisney website; under the Star Wars Run tab, then under "Register".

Don't have to be alone! Myself, son and his girl will all be doing 10k and I'm sure we WON'T be in the same coral together. DS is quick, I'm ok, and his girl is new to the whole runDisney. Not to be weird (just know what it's like to run alone), when we get close, if you haven't gotten someone to run with you, hit me up. One or all of us would love the company!

That's so nice of you! I honestly plan on walking it mostly since I'm not really a runner. And I know I won't be alone per se as there are tons of other folks there. But I guess it would be nice for the weekend to have a friend to hang out at Disney with & do things (even if they don't want to do the 10K). I'm hoping to convince some friends from up north a trip to FL in mid-April is a great idea!

That's so nice of you! I honestly plan on walking it mostly since I'm not really a runner. And I know I won't be alone per se as there are tons of other folks there. But I guess it would be nice for the weekend to have a friend to hang out at Disney with & do things (even if they don't want to do the 10K). I'm hoping to convince some friends from up north a trip to FL in mid-April is a great idea!
You've got the right way of thinking going on there! One is never alone when doing an event(s). So many times you hear of passersby stopping or coming out just to watch and cheer. Within so many types event(s) themselves I've seen, heard, and offered a helping hand and words of encouragement. Many times it has been me who needed them and was grateful. I will also agree with you that April is a nice time to visit FL from up here. I'm in Jersey myself, with my DS (& runDisney/running partner in general) living in FL. He works for the airlines so I hardly need my arm twisted to when it comes to visiting either. LOL! But the offer stands, so again, don't mean to sound weird, but keep in the back of your mind. Have a great day!

Signed up for the Rebel Challenge this morning, so now on to the great debate. Do I get the Kessel Run medal with the Dark Side 1/2 or do I go for the Kessel Run with the Dark Side Challenge?

I will be doing the 10k again next year. Don't forget folks, the Star Wars Celebration will be at the Orange County Convention Center the weekend before, so make a week of it!

I am looking at doing my first runDisney event to give me a goal to get into better shape in my ... err .. "more experienced" years ... and this one seems like fun as I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Any advice for a first timer (I am LONG removed from my running days, so I may just start with the 5k).

Will the parks/resorts be crowded (as this is the week after Easter)? Would you suggest extending a vacation (to go to the parks before or AFTER the races?)

When do you suggest registering and booking this?

I will be doing the 10k again next year. Don't forget folks, the Star Wars Celebration will be at the Orange County Convention Center the weekend before, so make a week of it!
Oh my .. Easter weekend .. Star Wars Celebration .. and the Star Wars Marathon all in a week? Sounds like it will be really crowded in Orlando.

Might be hard to talk the wife into coming for a whole week and being at a Star Wars Celebration for Easter! Heh.

OMGosh, much like you I (re)started running from my school days with a runDisney event. It was the now discontinued Expedition Everest 5k Challenge. But boy did I get hooked. A 5k is a perfect start, but if you've been training a while already I don't see why a 10k isn't in the plan. These runs are so much fun, and the added perk of wrapping it into a vacation is the way we go. Normally get there a day ahead of packet pickup, then stay a few days after to enjoy the parks and let the hype of running (no pun intend) around for and to the event wear off. I believe Easter is a crowded one, but as I recall you could probably take a vote and come up with twice as many Star Wars enthusiasts as you could just Disney vacationers. I guess the Easter crowd depends on when the kiddies have school break (before/after). But again, if you just go with the mind set of taking in the sights and sounds, I'm not that young either and no longer zip around the parks like a mad person, any time you spend will be enjoyable. Plus nowadays, you have fastpass for the rides you want to hit, you can make dining reservations and eat where you'd like. Just gotta jump on the mydisneyexperience.com website when it becomes available to you, or call and let the Disney reps do their magic for you.

Well, this might change our plans a bit. My kids would love Celebration. Still deciding though if I'm bringing the kids or not.

I am looking at doing my first runDisney event to give me a goal to get into better shape in my ... err .. "more experienced" years ... and this one seems like fun as I am a huge Star Wars fan.

Any advice for a first timer (I am LONG removed from my running days, so I may just start with the 5k).

Will the parks/resorts be crowded (as this is the week after Easter)? Would you suggest extending a vacation (to go to the parks before or AFTER the races?)

When do you suggest registering and booking this?
A 5 or 10K is a GREAT way to get started! My #1 piece of advice is to find a training plan and trust it. Jeff Galloway partners with runDisney to provide training plans and that's a good place to start.

I think crowds will be manageable - certainly nothing like Easter, Christmas, or summer, but not low, either. Generally, better to extend a trip after the race rather than before, just to lessen tiredness and too much time on your feet before running.

Registration sells out FAST for many rD races, so it's pretty important to be at a computer and ready to go by when registration opens at 12pm!

That is one of the great questions of our time. Just want to point out that doing that extra little 10k gets you two additional medals!
If the number of medals was the only factor, it would be a no brainer. However, I'm an accountant and will be just days removed from the tax filing deadline which means 12 hour days in the weeks leading up to the race. I want to run the challenge. I've finished the Rebel Challenge at Disneyland twice now. But this is a question of what makes the most sense.

Which makes sense that it fills up because it's the Saturday race and you don't have to go to work after and feel like a zombie for the rest of the day.

(Been there, done that)

so since I am new...cost question. I know there is the entry fee for the actual 10K itself. Any other fees I need to be aware of? Like big stuff (not little couple dollar things although those add up too)? I'm still trying to decide if I am doing it alone how much I want to spend on a weekend just for me. Especially since I'll have to commit so far in advance.

so since I am new...cost question. I know there is the entry fee for the actual 10K itself. Any other fees I need to be aware of? Like big stuff (not little couple dollar things although those add up too)? I'm still trying to decide if I am doing it alone how much I want to spend on a weekend just for me. Especially since I'll have to commit so far in advance.

Big Items
10k entry fee plus active.com fee (it's a sliding scale, but estimate ~6-7% of entry fee)
hotel (if needed)
flight (or gas money if you drive)
meals
optional: expo purchases (t-shirts, hats, pins, bags, shoes, etc)
optional: park tickets

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter