Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
minniebeth said:
Prayers and healing to you ZellyB!

A lot of people are talking about their full marathon training...
anyone want to check in with their 1/2 training? Specifically for newer runners/walkers? This is my first 1/2~
I did the ToT 10 miler in Sept.

There are a lot of seasoned runners out there so I'm hoping that some brave rookies like me will share their thoughts at this point in training? :goodvibes

I'm a (not so) brave rookie doing my first 1/2! The most I've ever done before is two 10ks. I'm trying to follow the Galloway, but having a hard time fitting in the mid week training runs, and my two longest weekend runs have both been a mile short of what they should've been. I did 8.4 last weekend instead of 9.5. Now that it's cold and dark so early, my motivation is awful!

minniebeth said:
.There are a lot of seasoned runners out there so I'm hoping that some brave rookies like me will share their thoughts at this point in training? :goodvibes

In January 2012, I was the brave rookie running my very first Half at Disney. I followed the Galloway plan on the RunDisney website, modifying it slightly to add in intervals and some hill training into his Tuesday and Thursday scheduled runs. My longest run was 12 miles in mid-December before I started my taper.

I was nervous to be sure. I had only started running in April 2011 so there was a part of me that thought it was crazy to try for a Half Marathon with only eight months of running under my belt. But I did it! The race experience was amazing. I made so many friends during that Weekend, and I received a lot of encouragement from the people on this board.

Be consistent with your training plan, take time to figure out what works for you in terms of hydration and fueling during your Long Runs, and make sure you are having fun out there! Don't slack off on your Rest Day(s) -- they are important for the body rebuilds, heals, and gets stronger during those days. And if you can, build in some core strengthening exercises -- it will help you maintain good running form and reduce hip, lower back, and neck pain.

You will toe the line in January and have the time of your life! I caught the running 'bug' as a result,of that first Half experience (I also ran the 5K the day before). So be careful of that 'bug' -- I have run 17 races this year, including my first Full in October! Lol

Prayers and healing to you ZellyB!

A lot of people are talking about their full marathon training...
anyone want to check in with their 1/2 training? Specifically for newer runners/walkers? This is my first 1/2~
I did the ToT 10 miler in Sept.

There are a lot of seasoned runners out there so I'm hoping that some brave rookies like me will share their thoughts at this point in training? :goodvibes

I still consider myself a rookie runner (I started running a C25K program in January 2012), but by the time we get to the WDW Half in January, it will be my third half marathon already... even though it was the first one I signed up for.

C25K was a turning point in my physical fitness and I was bit by the running bug... HARD!

I've run several 5Ks, a 10k, a 7 mile race and a 10 mile race... and one other Half Marathon in September. This Sunday I run my second half in Philadelphia, with a stated goal of 2:30 (and a stretch goal of about 2:25).

I've trained for both of my HMs using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan. I like the 4 days a week of running (with the mid-week runs three days in a row and two days of rest after the long run). The only thing that I can't get into is the longest run of the plan (12 miles) is just the week before the goal race.

The first time through, I only had 6 days between that run and the race day on the plan (my long runs were sunday that cycle and the race was saturday) so I swapped the 12 with a shorter run a week or two earlier and ran 8 that day.

This time, I am feeling really strong and ready, so I allowed myself to cut that 12 miles short last weekend - I know I can run the 13.1 and I don't want to jeopardize the race day readiness by pushing it so I let my body dictate things, and my feet had gotten wet and I was cold, so I only ran about 8.5

If you've run a 10 mile race already... and are consistently running in your training, you will be just fine in January for the half... go out, enjoy the spectacle, enjoy the run and have a great time.

For me, the original goal race I signed up for first (WDW Half) has become a training run... starting next monday, I am transitioning right into Half Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon plan with my goal race (The Ocean Drive Marathon in Cape May New Jersey) scheduled for March 24th, 2013.

This means that WDW will be an easy run for me... not a full out race, which is probably for the best. I can relax more on the vacation week beforehand and enjoy time in the parks, knowing that i'm really running a supported training run, and not for a personal goal.

Also, I have to get over running long and easy the week before a race, because my plan now calls for a 14 mile run the saturday before the WDW Half.

:)

Ted

I'm running the half in January. I've done a couple of shorter mud races, but just decided two weeks ago to do the half. :lmao: I did C25K in 2011 then took some time off of running to do P90x. Now I run 3 days per week and do strength training 3 days. Since I just decided to do this recently my longest run has only been 6 miles. My goal is just to finish the race. I've really enjoyed pushing myself on these last couple of runs. It's amazing how quickly the body can adapt.

I'm a (not so) brave rookie doing my first 1/2! The most I've ever done before is two 10ks. I'm trying to follow the Galloway, but having a hard time fitting in the mid week training runs, and my two longest weekend runs have both been a mile short of what they should've been. I did 8.4 last weekend instead of 9.5. Now that it's cold and dark so early, my motivation is awful!
Stay as consistent as you can with your plan. Those mid-week runs are short - cram them in somehow. You will be fine if you don't go the full distance Galloway calls for in the long runs. If you can do 10 or 11, you can do 13.1 miles.

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but I just noticed that RunDisney has posted the updated marathon and half marathon courses denoting where water and food stops will be located.

For the full marathon, all of mile 20 is highlighted in yellow alongside a yellow "F" denoting food. I guess I shouldn't assume that the Mile 20 Spectacular is just cast members lobbing snacks at us?? Though at that point in the race I might not mind it... ;)

Sorry, but this is kind of long. I already posted that I did a half marathon this past weekend with a 16:20 pace. I know I can go faster but my aunt decided she wanted to walk the last 4.5 miles with me (which was nice for visiting…..but definitely slower than if I had just been by myself). There were also 4 or 5 big hills on the course and my aunt decided that we should call my grandparents on speaker phone on the way up the biggest hill. Anyway, with there only being 9 weeks until the marathon in January, I have been thinking/wigging about a lot of things concerning my pace.

1. I had my youngest son in April of 2012. I lost about 40 lbs(was 278 and am now about 240) by the end of July but since then but haven’t been able to lose anymore. I know that I could probably shave some off of my time by losing some weight. I know that low carb works for me……but I am torn between wanting to lose weight and the sluggishness that I know I will experience if I do low carb. I tried it a few weeks ago and lost a few pounds but I was so sluggish that I couldn’t exercise like I normally do and that is frustrating. I know I need to lose some weight but I wonder if I should just keep training for the marathon and forget weight loss until it is over. Thoughts?

2. This is my basic schedule(classes that I attend at the ymca and other workouts):
M-Trekking (hills, intervals on a treadmill) -30 minutes
Powerlift (strength training) -45 minutes
T-Spin (I do an endurance ride with enough tension that I work the whole time)-45 minutes
W-Zumba (fun…..but not the most strenuous workout) -45 minutes
Powerlift (strength training -45 minutes
TH-Spin (I do an endurance ride with enough tension that I work the whole time)-45 minutes
-Treadmill (30 minutes or 2 miles, run/walk to recovery with no specific interval)
F -Normally a rest day. Occasionally I do Zumba.
S –Long Run (I am doing the long runs from the John Bingham Walk/Run Program)
Sunday-REST

I wonder if I should add more walk/running to help with my pace? I don’t know if that would be adding to much mileage though. Normally I only do about 4-5 miles midweek when you count the trekking on Monday and my treadmill walk/run on Thursday. My long runs have been between 6 and most recently 13 on Saturdays. There is a trekking class on Friday and I don’t know if I should just keep that as a rest day or go for a couple more miles and maybe cut a few from my long runs. From here I will only be doing 16, 18, and 20, so if I cut 2 from each and work on my pace during trekking I would end up doing 14, 16, and 18. Thoughts?

3. Since I started training back in June I have done intervals by running/walking to recovery and then running again. I used to do set intervals (like Walk2/Run1) before I had my babies but found that it was mentally easier for me this time around if I didn’t have to look at the treadmill or my garmin every minute or so. Should I try a set interval to help my pace instead of running and then walking to recovery?

Thanks for reading if you are still with me!:grouphug:

irishtwins1112 said:
Sorry, but this is kind of long. I already posted that I did a half marathon this past weekend with a 16:20 pace. I know I can go faster but my aunt decided she wanted to walk the last 4.5 miles with me (which was nice for visiting…..but definitely slower than if I had just been by myself). There were also 4 or 5 big hills on the course and my aunt decided that we should call my grandparents on speaker phone on the way up the biggest hill. Anyway, with there only being 9 weeks until the marathon in January, I have been thinking/wigging about a lot of things concerning my pace.

1. I had my youngest son in April of 2012. I lost about 40 lbs(was 278 and am now about 240) by the end of July but since then but haven’t been able to lose anymore. I know that I could probably shave some off of my time by losing some weight. I know that low carb works for me……but I am torn between wanting to lose weight and the sluggishness that I know I will experience if I do low carb. I tried it a few weeks ago and lost a few pounds but I was so sluggish that I couldn’t exercise like I normally do and that is frustrating. I know I need to lose some weight but I wonder if I should just keep training for the marathon and forget weight loss until it is over. Thoughts?

2. This is my basic schedule(classes that I attend at the ymca and other workouts):
M-Trekking (hills, intervals on a treadmill) -30 minutes
Powerlift (strength training) -45 minutes
T-Spin (I do an endurance ride with enough tension that I work the whole time)-45 minutes
W-Zumba (fun…..but not the most strenuous workout) -45 minutes
Powerlift (strength training -45 minutes
TH-Spin (I do an endurance ride with enough tension that I work the whole time)-45 minutes
-Treadmill (30 minutes or 2 miles, run/walk to recovery with no specific interval)
F -Normally a rest day. Occasionally I do Zumba.
S –Long Run (I am doing the long runs from the John Bingham Walk/Run Program)
Sunday-REST

I wonder if I should add more walk/running to help with my pace? I don’t know if that would be adding to much mileage though. Normally I only do about 4-5 miles midweek when you count the trekking on Monday and my treadmill walk/run on Thursday. My long runs have been between 6 and most recently 13 on Saturdays. There is a trekking class on Friday and I don’t know if I should just keep that as a rest day or go for a couple more miles and maybe cut a few from my long runs. From here I will only be doing 16, 18, and 20, so if I cut 2 from each and work on my pace during trekking I would end up doing 14, 16, and 18. Thoughts?

3. Since I started training back in June I have done intervals by running/walking to recovery and then running again. I used to do set intervals (like Walk2/Run1) before I had my babies but found that it was mentally easier for me this time around if I didn’t have to look at the treadmill or my garmin every minute or so. Should I try a set interval to help my pace instead of running and then walking to recovery?

Thanks for reading if you are still with me!:grouphug:

hi

cross training is good as a supplement- but if you are training for the half you need to add
more running/walking.

it is great for your cardio and gets the miles in your legs.

check out the Galloway program - even though there is 8 weeks to go try the last 8 weeks of the program.

I usually do a program, plus a little boxing/cycle/circuit class. gives me cardio and strength work

good luck

ZellyB said:
Hi, everyone,
I've been AWOL for a bit due to some challenges in my health. Last week I was diagnosed with breast cancer. That's been a lot to try and deal with, obviously, but I did finish my first half-marathon a week and a half ago. Finished at 2:33:40 which was just a bit over my goal of 2:30, so I was pretty pleased with that. We have a 20-miler scheduled for this weekend and we plan to finish that one. My longest before this was 17, so I'm hopeful we can pull it off. :)

I've got surgery scheduled for next week, but asked my surgeon if still run/walking the marathon in January was possible. Told him it would likely mean I'd walk much of it, but is it doable? My surgeon happens to be a marathon runner himself and he was sympthetic to my desire to finish this goal. Anyway, he said he didn't see any reason I couldn't do it as long as I adjust my expectations on time. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll feel up to doing it. Probably means 20 will be my longest run before the race, but I think if I get that done and just get moving after surgery that with a LOT of walking, I can finish that 26.2. Hoping I get to be there with all of you in January.

Prayers and pixie dust. I think having a goal to focus on is great! A positive outlook can do wonders for the physical body!

roomthreeseventeen said:
If you have to be on a bus before 4, 330 would get me to like, uh, the bathroom.

FFigawi said:
LOL guess that's why I don't get on the bus before 4 :)

This. I was reading an article on runners world.com and a big thing a lot of people need to do before running is "clear the chute" (their term not mine). Sorry if it sounds gross and I HOPE this is what you were referring to because I'm totally the same way. I've learned that walking around my house while drinking a strong cup of coffee gets me ready to run, LOL. Sorry about the TMI. :-)

bigdave10000 said:
I go to bed around 8:30-9:00 most nights. I have pretty much given up watching TV at night. No great loss.

This is why TiVo is my best friend. I'm usually ready to hit the sack between 8 and 9. My kids hate me for it.

sunshine girl said:
I just noticed ... only 60 days to go until the marathon!! :faint:

Ugh. I'm echoing the sentiment of not feeling ready by some of you. Every day that gets closer I want to cry. Since I fell off track I'm revising my plan. This weekend I will do 13 then add another 2 miles every week until I'm at 25 miles on 12/29 and then ramp down. Is it ok to add 2 miles per week like this or should I space out the runs some more?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Ugh. I'm echoing the sentiment of not feeling ready by some of you. Every day that gets closer I want to cry. Since I fell off track I'm revising my plan. This weekend I will do 13 then add another 2 miles every week until I'm at 25 miles on 12/15 and then ramp down. Is it ok to add 2 miles per week like this or should I space out the runs some more?

I think getting up to 20 miles for your long run is more than sufficient. I am doing a Higdon plan and it only goes to 20. I would do maybe 22 but not more.

Also, are you building step back weeks in as well? If you just keep building and don't do a step back, I would worry about you burning out and risking injury. My coming weekend long runs are 17/18/13/19/13/20/13/8/2

steph0808 said:
I think getting up to 20 miles for your long run is more than sufficient. I am doing a Higdon plan and it only goes to 20. I would do maybe 22 but not more.

Also, are you building step back weeks in as well? If you just keep building and don't do a step back, I would worry about you burning out and risking injury. My coming weekend long runs are 17/18/13/19/13/20/13/8/2

I mentally think I need that 25 under my belt. I know I want my first marathon distance to be at my happy place but I don't think I can only go up to 20 and then still have another 10k before the finish line.

So happy! Our waitlist came through for Sunday night! We are leaving WDW around 4pm and I was stressed out about how I would shower and have a place to rest after the full. We booked an extra night and now I am relieved that I can at least have a shower afterwards and not have to rush around packing before the full!

The plan is coming together! So happy. Oh, and a little stressed about what I am challenging myself to do.:sick:

Terapin said:
So happy! Our waitlist came through for Sunday night! We are leaving WDW around 4pm and I was stressed out about how I would shower and have a place to rest after the full. We booked an extra night and now I am relieved that I can at least have a shower afterwards and not have to rush around packing before the full!

The plan is coming together! So happy. Oh, and a little stressed about what I am challenging myself to do.:sick:

Awesome! When we originally booked, we planned to run the 1/2 so we are at SSR Fri and Sat, then move to AKV Sun-Fri. We have just realized we will finish the marathon around 9:30 or 10 (at least, I hope we will!) and may not have a room until 4. We are gonna be some stinky people!!!

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but I just noticed that RunDisney has posted the updated marathon and half marathon courses denoting where water and food stops will be located.

For the full marathon, all of mile 20 is highlighted in yellow alongside a yellow "F" denoting food. I guess I shouldn't assume that the Mile 20 Spectacular is just cast members lobbing snacks at us?? Though at that point in the race I might not mind it... ;)

May I ask what kind of (F) food to expect?

Awesome! When we originally booked, we planned to run the 1/2 so we are at SSR Fri and Sat, then move to AKV Sun-Fri. We have just realized we will finish the marathon around 9:30 or 10 (at least, I hope we will!) and may not have a room until 4. We are gonna be some stinky people!!!

We will be at AKV - Jambo - you are welcome to come use our shower :upsidedow

Terapin said:
May I ask what kind of (F) food to expect?

Hmmm, if I had things my way, the F&W next to mile 20 would represent Food and Wine and they would recreate the F&W Festival for us!!!! LOL Sam Adams Chocolate Bock at Mile 20 anyone???

It will take some work but is very, very doable. Between now and the start of your marathon program, focus weekday runs on speed, hills and intensity. These runs are the ones that will create speed in the marathon. Hills can be done on a treadmill for those who are on the flatlands (like me). Hills work the back of the legs and create a stronger platform to run from. Speed work is really all about creating leg turn over. Starting with short intervals now and working up to longer intervals with time, you will create a quicker turnover and this will naturally work its way into your longer runs. The hardest one is intensity. Intensity opens up the cardio engine so that you are able to support a quicker run through the race. In real simple terms, the long run should be a conversational pace (or one where you could talk to a partner in nearly normal sentences). The midweek run intervals should have an intensity where you could only say 1-3 words per breath at your close out each interval. The feeling should be one of I need to stop, but think I can go just a little furhter.

As you pull out your training plan, add a half marathon or two into the mix to validate you progress.

This is totally doable

Thanks, Coach! How far or how long should my weekday speed, hills, and intensity runs be? Also, is there a specific training plan you recommend? I'm running several halfs this year, I'm sure, so that will give me a good progress check. Next one is WDW in January! Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter