Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Thank you @Dis_Yoda!

Ugh, I'm such an indecisive person! I should just do the local Half instead, which is on sale today. Somehow my warped brain thinks that driving 5hrs, spending 2 nights for a hotel plus $340+ for the Challenge registration, and waking up 2 mornings in a row at 2:30am is the better option than driving 1hr for a much cheaper race, lol. :crazy2: Crazy, right?

To add to my nonsense, I've been toying with the idea of doing the marathon in January. The thought of training for 26.2 terrifies me, but I think it would be cool to do just once. If I sign up for the marathon, then I feel I absolutely should do the W&D Challenge as practice for the marathon course. Totally makes sense, right? :rotfl2:
The runDisney struggle is real! Lol I'm just as indecisive! If I could drive in 5 hrs I'd be in major trouble! Lol

Hi everyone! I need help deciding whether to sign up for the W&D Challenge again. :worship:

I did Lumiere's Challenge last year (my first rD event, first half, second 10K). I feel like I should sign up again since registration for the Challenge is still available, but I'm freaking out about hotel options/prices. There doesn't seem to be any decently priced on-site resorts available, but the thought of staying off-site and having my husband drop me off for the races makes me worry that I'll get stuck in traffic/be late. Last year my sister did the Challenge with me, and we stayed at the Dolphin so we could split the costs & have expo/race transportation.
I stay offsite for almost all WDW races and I've never once been late due to traffic! I simply leave early enough that I don't hit traffic tie-ups; I leave my hotel at the same time the race buses start running and I arrive at the pre-race area with at least an hour or more to spare. Hope that helps!

Thank you @PrincessV! Yes, it does help. I'm not 100% familiar with the area roads, so adding in the road closures and pre-race anxiety at such an early hour freaks me out.

Thank you @PrincessV! Yes, it does help. I'm not 100% familiar with the area roads, so adding in the road closures and pre-race anxiety at such an early hour freaks me out.
I can help with that, too: nothing is closed that early, which is why it's important to leave EARLY! I've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Hilton Bonnet Creek (both on Buena Vista Dr., next to CBR), Galleria Palms (on 192, just offsite of AK), and Hampton Inn LBV (essentially Disney Springs area) for races and used roads that would be closed later for races, but none were closed when I left.

Or Run Disney obsessed! Its just training for Dopey right?

Exactly!
Plus, I'll already be in Florida (I'm doing Ragnar South Beach the following weekend), plus, I'm taking a certification class with USATF in course measurement while I'm there AND bike monitoring the 5K again, so it JUST made sense, you know?

Nice! You can now eat twice as much Food n Wine booth stuff. Because run math?

THIS, PEOPLE. THIS IS THE KIND OF MATH WE NEED TO ALL BELIEVE IN. #KeelsCommonCore

Exactly!
Plus, I'll already be in Florida (I'm doing Ragnar South Beach the following weekend), plus, I'm taking a certification class with USATF in course measurement while I'm there AND bike monitoring the 5K again, so it JUST made sense, you know?

THIS, PEOPLE. THIS IS THE KIND OF MATH WE NEED TO ALL BELIEVE IN. #KeelsCommonCore

It makes total sense to me!
I'm so glad to see that I'm in such great company with this Rundisney sickness!!

Exactly!

I'll be out there during the 5k trying not to cause too much trouble. If I see you on your bike I may be compelled to shout "I KNOW HER!!!!!!" But I promise not to tackle you.

Also, I heard that the extra walking at the expo + to the corrals + back to your hotel = at least three world showcase beers or 6 tequilas. I'm just saying...the math speaks for itself.

I'll be out there during the 5k trying not to cause too much trouble. If I see you on your bike I may be compelled to shout "I KNOW HER!!!!!!" But I promise not to tackle you.

Also, I heard that the extra walking at the expo + to the corrals + back to your hotel = at least three world showcase beers or 6 tequilas. I'm just saying...the math speaks for itself.

If it's like last year, I'll be set-up right by the entrance to AK, right past where you enter the tapstiles next to Guest Relations, and then I'll be behind the last group of runners so they can start clearing the course!

…plus, I'm taking a certification class with USATF in course measurement while I'm there…

Really??? I have considered doing this as well. Geek alert: I've even looked at the course measurement manual. Please let me know how it is!

ETA: do you already have a Jones Counter?

Last edited:
Really??? I have considered doing this as well. Geek alert: I've even looked at the course measurement manual. Please let me know how it is!

ETA: do you already have a Jones Counter?

I am! I learned about it a few weeks ago when I did a Tri Camp up at the USA Triathlon center in Clermont.

I figured it would come in handy with my work in Florida and then here in a Texas.

And I have a 6-digit Jones on order!!

ROL dining packages are up for a October. Don't think they were earlier this week. Maybe November will pop soon.

Also this thread was quiet so thought I'd post something. Anybody officially training yet or is it a bit early for that?

ROL dining packages are up for a October. Don't think they were earlier this week. Maybe November will pop soon.

Also this thread was quiet so thought I'd post something. Anybody officially training yet or is it a bit early for that?

No training yet - started physical therapy for my ankle on Thursday - can't start running until she clears me

I'm still debating about registering. :crazy2: There's a lot of variables (ugh, math!) going on, so I'm trying to wait until I have more info before making a decision. If registration closes before I decide, then I'll consider that it wasn't meant to be. :sad:

I went back and read most of last year's W&D thread, and it appeared that most people either didn't go to the Epcot after-party or weren't impressed by it. I ran the idea by my husband to see if he'd want to go to the party (I'd have to get him a ticket) and he said he'd be OK with it. I'm wondering if it would be really worth the price of an extra night in the hotel, though. Since I didn't make it to the party last year, does anyone remember what the earliest you could get in (without a park ticket), and then what were the official times for the party? There aren't any times listed on the rD website for this year's party yet.

I've seen "legacy status" mentioned in other threads for other rD races...is that even a thing for the W&D Challenge? I would hate to skip this year only to find out afterward that it is. OTOH, I don't want to feel compelled to do the W&D Challenge every year just for the sake of being a legacy either.

No training yet - started physical therapy for my ankle on Thursday - can't start running until she clears me

Hope it goes well and you get cleared soon.

I'm still debating about registering. :crazy2: There's a lot of variables (ugh, math!) going on, so I'm trying to wait until I have more info before making a decision. If registration closes before I decide, then I'll consider that it wasn't meant to be. :sad:

I went back and read most of last year's W&D thread, and it appeared that most people either didn't go to the Epcot after-party or weren't impressed by it. I ran the idea by my husband to see if he'd want to go to the party (I'd have to get him a ticket) and he said he'd be OK with it. I'm wondering if it would be really worth the price of an extra night in the hotel, though. Since I didn't make it to the party last year, does anyone remember what the earliest you could get in (without a park ticket), and then what were the official times for the party? There aren't any times listed on the rD website for this year's party yet.

I've seen "legacy status" mentioned in other threads for other rD races...is that even a thing for the W&D Challenge? I would hate to skip this year only to find out afterward that it is. OTOH, I don't want to feel compelled to do the W&D Challenge every year just for the sake of being a legacy either.

First year doing this event so don't know any logistics or anything like that. Not sure from what I've heard that it's worth another nights stay but guess it depends on where you're staying. As far as Legacy, I'm sure peopled would consider that in play for W&D but it's sounds like that's not really a major factor you? Good luck with the decision making. It's always tough.

I've never been a runner so deciding to do this race was the jump I need to get my fitness up and weight down. I'm doing the 10k and I'm up to about 5 miles now at a 12:30 pace. Hoping to improve a ton before november. I run 1-2 times per week anywhere from 3.5-4 miles. I've also been doing strength training 2x per week.

Tried to book the ROL package for 10/31 at Tiffins and it was all booked. :scared: I'll keep checking though.

No training schedule taped to the fridge yet so it's not official, but I've been trying to maintain a base of running 3-4 miles 2-3x a week for the last two months simply because I hate the misery of starting from scratch. Waiting for an "easy 3 mile run" to feel easy is my least favorite part of training. That said, my overall fitness levels are way below normal thanks to a really unusually hectic schedule this spring. So I'm feeling nervous about this round of training. Everything seems to be out of whack - my asthma and allergies are acting up this year, my hip hurts, and it's unseasonably hot so I've been stuck on the treadmill more than usual. I hope I find my groove soon! My "official" training starts this week. (I do a lot of slow build-up in mileage in the beginning)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter