• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oga's - What am I missing?

Maddysdaddy

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

Going back to DL with my daughter for the first time in five years this November (primarily to 'finally' see SWL).

For the five days we are there, the only Oga's reservation I was able to make was for breakfast at 9am, but when I look at the online breakfast menu, the only food I see listed is pretzels, snack mix and a charcuterie plate. Please tell me I'm missing something somewhere - if those are the only offerings, it feels like what's the point, since I'm not going to start my day off with a cocktail?

Thx in advance for any and all responses.

Hi all.

Going back to DL with my daughter for the first time in five years this November (primarily to 'finally' see SWL).

For the five days we are there, the only Oga's reservation I was able to make was for breakfast at 9am, but when I look at the online breakfast menu, the only food I see listed is pretzels, snack mix and a charcuterie plate. Please tell me I'm missing something somewhere - if those are the only offerings, it feels like what's the point, since I'm not going to start my day off with a cocktail?

Thx in advance for any and all responses.

It is just a bar with bar snacks, no meals. If you don't want to start your day with a cocktail, but still want to go, they do have the non-alcoholic options as well.

That said, if you set up a dining alert, reservations come open for Oga's all the time. Or, you can always cancel your current reservation, and just use the walk-up list when you're in the parks. It's pretty easy to get in there these days. Just get on the list, then go ride a ride or shop/browse to kill some time and your spot will be ready shortly. That way you can go later in the afternoon or evening at your convenience (mostly).

On our last trip we went twice. We ordered all of the non-alcoholic drinks and they were great. The food was surprisingly good, and those pretzel rolls are delicious. We ordered seconds on all the food. Maybe you could get your actual breakfast first and just do Oga's for drinks.

Oga's is all about atmosphere and if you like Star Wars you will really enjoy it. I'd set an alert to get a better time if you don't want to do it first thing.

Thx all.

I note that two of you mentioned an 'alert'. Again, it feels like I'm missing something significant as part of this process (in addition to not realizing that I had to be online exactly at 7am (mountain) 60 days out to have any hopes of dining on property). Can I ask what you mean by that? I've looked at the reservations page on the DL website a number of times and don't recall seeing anything about signing up for an alert if a reservation becomes available.

Thx all.

I note that two of you mentioned an 'alert'. Again, it feels like I'm missing something significant as part of this process (in addition to not realizing that I had to be online exactly at 7am (mountain) 60 days out to have any hopes of dining on property). Can I ask what you mean by that? I've looked at the reservations page on the DL website a number of times and don't recall seeing anything about signing up for an alert if a reservation becomes available.
There are third party websites that offer alert services to notify you when a reservation becomes available. They are typically emails unless you pay for text messages. They can be helpful, but do require a very quick response when alerted.

Thx all.

The other poster explained, and I don't think we can link them directly here, but if you google Disneyland dining alerts, you'll find there are two major ones that both start with the word mouse. One is free and alerts you by e-mail. The other is a paid service and alerts you by text when slots open up for the location/day/window of time you selected.

I had trouble getting Oga's (like you the only thing I could get when they dropped was first time in the morning) and those alerts got us reservations for 2 days of our trip at good times.

DD loves Ogas (DH too) so we really wanted a decent time as DH and I were not thrilled with an early morning time as we wanted their cocktails. I wasn't picking what I wanted up with the free alerts, so when it got close to our trip I did add a paid one and as our trip got closer it was going off constantly. I didn't deactivate it after we got what we wanted and it went off constantly during our trip too-- we would have had no trouble getting in. It was definitely worth the money for us. Also, when we were there, they were taking walk ups late in the evening, even though the app showed they weren't--- don't know if they still do that-- but that would be worth a try too. Try for a walk up through the app, but also go over there and try for walk ups too. Realize that the walk apps are pretty much always standing at the bar or the stand up tables.

Just another quick note about the seating at Oga's. We had reservations so assumed we would have our own table but they seat you with other groups. It was very awkward the first time this happened because we thought the CM was just having us sit at another party's table until they were finished. But you share a table the whole time. We stayed for a while and 3 different parties came and went during the course of our reservation. The same thing happened with our second reservation, too, but we knew to expect it that time.

Thanks, everyone. This is very different from the Disney experience that I am used to and I will try my best not to let all of the changes since our last trip in 2017 put a damper on what is likely to be my last Disney trip with my daughter.

Well, this is just Oga’s-it’s been this way since it opened and I wouldn’t make a huge deal of it. I’m not happy with a lot of things about Disney right now but this doesn’t make that list. We’ve had a blast every time-one time with kids at a table, one time just husband and I at the bar.

So, it’s a bar. You will be able to walk up at a different time. It’ll be fine. I get wanting everything to be perfect-but I think you’ll have more fun if you roll with it (and our adult daughter joins us routinely on Disney trips-doesn’t have to be your last!).

Also, starting the day with a cocktail sounds pretty good to me right now.

Just wanted to add that if you’re a big Star Wars fan it’s a fun place to check out for the theming.

Ogas is worth checking out for the theming, but for me it was a one and done. If you don't want that kind of drink first thing in the day, cancel, and then try to do a walk-up later in the day. It's like a waiting list/putting your name on the list at a regular place. I sat at the bar.

I made a big deal about securing a reservation to Oga's on day #1 of our trip and truly it was fine. Like, we each had a drink, sat at a table with another family of 3 and just looked around. I had another rezzie for later in the week to coincide with the fireworks but ended up cancelling it because it just wasn't really worth a second visit. Obviously everyone is different and I would consider ourselves Star Wars fans but the food choices are very very limited and it was more novelty than anything else.

Just another quick note about the seating at Oga's. We had reservations so assumed we would have our own table but they seat you with other groups. It was very awkward the first time this happened because we thought the CM was just having us sit at another party's table until they were finished. But you share a table the whole time. We stayed for a while and 3 different parties came and went during the course of our reservation. The same thing happened with our second reservation, too, but we knew to expect it that time.
I'm very confused. Are they big long tables of 12-20 people sort of thing? Or regular pub tables that seat 4-6 people and you are randomly assigned to a family dinner with strangers?

I'm very confused. Are they big long tables of 12-20 people sort of thing? Or regular pub tables that seat 4-6 people and you are randomly assigned to a family dinner with strangers?

They are half circle booths that hold probably 6 people inside and then room for a couple of short stools on the outside if necessary. And, yes, you're just taken to a random booth when space opens up to sit with strangers. (This is not a family dinner though, just drinks and snacks.) If you don't want to sit with strangers, you can always ask to stand at the bars or counters, where you will still be surrounded by strangers, but probably feel less of a need to be social.

The first time I took my mom she was aghast when she realized we would be sitting with strangers, but by the end of it, she had basically become best friends with the entire group at our booth.

Apologies for not being clear on my last post - I’m certainly not bothered by Oga’s being a bar - I’m simply mad at myself for assuming that DL today would be about the same as it was a few years ago when we were last there.

Having to learn how much things have changed in terms of having to reserve parks, and needing to be online at the exact moment dining reservations open up sixty days out, and having to go to a third-party website to monitor reservations, learning that there are no more fast passes, etc. is just frustrating me at the moment. This is my screwup, and that’s on me and no one else.

Again, first-world problems and i know I should just be grateful that I have the ability to take my daughter to Disney (and that she still wants to go with me now that she’s an adult and away at university).

If you look up images of the interior of Oga's you can see how the tables are set up. They are oval tables with bench seating and there are 2 stools on one side. In our case, there were 4 of us. We shared the table with a party of 5, then a party of 4 and another time a party of three. Other parties of 2 people were seated on the stools a couple of times, too. The parties do come and go, so for a little while we had the table to ourselves.

Regular pub tables. If you have ever seen Star Wars: A New Hope and remember the scene in the cantina where Han is sitting at the booth, that is almost exactly what the tables look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter