Oh heck, I'm actually confused!

funkbucket007

Mouseketeer
I could use some help from my fellow DISers with a decision that needs to be made in the near future. My wife & I have gone to Disney World every year for the past 8 years...except this one. We welcomed into the world on August 29th a new baby boy, which is why we couldn't make it this year. We are definately going back next June for 10 days (during our anniversary). Now for the hard part...take the little one or not. I'm all for it & my wife was at first. Her mother has semi-got her talked into leaving him back home with her while we are gone. We could stand a little advice here to say the least. Option 1: Romantic vacation for two proud new parents. Option 2: First "family" vacation with our wonderful baby boy. You make the call. Thanks for any advice/help with this matter in advance...I know you guys won't let us down.

Take him, Take him...you will have plenty of time to have Romantic vacations when he is too old to wanna travel with you
I.E. = when he is a teenager..

Seeing the World through your sons eyes will make this trip even more magical then ever....We took my son on his 1st trip when he was 6 months old , he LOVED Buzz, and the Pooh ride & he couldn't stop smiling and looking around on the Small world. There was nothing like it, we have pictures of Pooh holding him every year of his life...
I vote TAKE HIM!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If you are planning a trip for the year after, I say go alone. I am probably in the minority though. I take it this is your first child? It is amazing how they change your life, it is hard not to be consumed totally with them. I have two children and our "childless" weekends away are vital to our marriage. Would he have fun at Disney next year ~ Sure! Would he have more fun the year after ~ I say definately! Romantic vacations are few and far between when you have children, especially more than one. If you have the chance, take it! Either way, enjoy.:D

I have three boys, 6, 3 and 1, and it is the truth, romantic vacations are far and few between. But, I don't think I could have left my first. If I knew now back then, I probably would have left him with my mother. Because now, we just hope for a romantic hour let alone 10 days.
It's a tough decision. On one hand you'll miss the new baby terribly (you know ya will). On the other hand, what I wouldn't give to have 10 days with my sweetheart.
The baby will enjoy small world, pooh, buzz and the like. But when my first was two, we rode the grand prix raceway over and over again. When they got Buzz, we rode it over and over again. Not that it's not fun. Watching him laugh and have such a fun time is fun. But we look forward to the day when we can run for big thunder just before the park closes.
My advice, go, have the last kidless WDW trip and cherish it. But get ready to miss that baby.

I think it would be very difficult to leave your first child behind.

But, I too, now realize that those romantic getaways alone are few and far between.
If you're going to Disney again next yr. then I would jump at your MIL's offer now and go with the baby next yr instead and the yr after, and the yr. after that......

Take him! You'll have a great time with him and you'll miss him if you don't. How "romantic" would it be everytime you saw a baby?

My girls are now 6 & 8 and I am all for the alone time between spouses, but for me a night or two works best. I personally couldn't leave my girls for any more than 2 nights even now that they are older. So - while I highly recommend a weekend away I think 10 days is to long - on you, on baby who will miss you by then and also on MIL. While well intentioned I think a baby under a year is lots of work, - jmho.

Is there a chance that MIL could accompany you on the trip? She would have a vacation herself and do some night time duty babysitting so you can have some romantic nights together. If you can work this out it could be the best of both worlds.

Good luck and have a great trip whatever you decide.
TJ

Originally I was going to say get away on your own. But after reading your question again and seeing you have been married 8 years and have been every year, I say TAKE HIM! It will be really neat to have him with you this time.

Just remember to have someone take a photo (or 2) of your entire family in front of the same location each time you visit, and "watch 'em grow". It is a real memory-maker! My personal favorite spot is in front of the Walt & Mickey statue near the castle.

Just don't forget to get away with your honey at least once a year ALONE, without your children. It really helps re-energize your marriage.

have a great time with him!
:wave:

I vote for option #3, get grandma or another couple to come with you. It might be fun to go with friends who also have a little one. You could spit your vacation between family time and trade off child care so adults can have some time alone as well.

If that isn't possible, maybe you could do a shorter trip either with or without the baby.

I have 3 kids ages 1-7. No way would I have left my first baby to go on a trip (definitely not such a long one) so I understand how your wife feels. We took dd to Ca when she was 1 to do the San Diego area and we spent one day at Disneyland. We got some cute pictures at DL but enjoyed our trip to WDW when she was older so much more. Grandma watched #2 for us so we could do our first trip to WDW to take dd. She is keeping #3 for almost a week so we can go again (oldest ds first trip!) Now I think it is wonderful to go to WDW and focus on the older kids without the baby.

I vote for taking the baby. I personally could never leave my baby for 10 days! Yes it is very important to your relationship to have time alone. But let's face it, you don't need 10 days alone, a romantic weekend would do great and you've had 8 kidless years! My guess is you probably won't be able to leave that cute little baby behind! Our DD was 9mo for her first trip and we go every year, I can't imagine being there without her!
I like the other option someone mentioned, taking grandma along. We did that once and it worked out great because grandma watched the baby at night so we could have our time alone. Good luck in deciding.

I have to vote to take the baby. 10 days is a long time to leave your little guy and my guess is that you would be counting the days till you saw him next instead of enjoying your vacation. I know that I would be......WDW will be great with your son. Just a little extra work but it will be so worth it!!! Have fun!:D

Take the baby! A quick week-end trip might be OK when you have a baby, but a 10 day trip away from him is too long IMHO. There is so much he will enjoy and this will be the easiest trip you ever take him on.Go celebrate with the little one.

Jordan's mom

Absolutely take the baby! We just got back from a trip with our 6 1/2 month old dd, and it was great! I would never leave her behind...we haven't been separated for an hour let alone 10 days. If your wife is breastfeeding, a 10 day absence could end or sabbotage that relationship.

As a mother of a 6 year old and a 2.5 year old I vote for taking the baby with you. My DH and I took a lot of romatic weekends when our first was a baby, but the key was weekends...it was hard enough being away for 2 or 3 days. If at all possible though I would vote for taking the grandmother with you, we did that on our last trip and it was awesome.

I like option 3.

We went down for six nights - my parents joined us for three right in the middle of the vacation.

We got an immediate family vacation. They got to watch their grandchildren ride Dumbo, we got to go off for the night alone (they even took the kids overnight). As ours were 2 and 3, we got other adults to help watch and help lift and the end of a long day.

It was such a wonderful option that one of the reasons we came back and joined DVC is so we can continue to invite "guests" along to help us with our kids. Next time, its the other grandparents. Not long and the kids will be old enough to enjoy having other kids and we will invite friends with children of complementary age. (We have discovered a truth in parenting - once your children reach a certain age more kids (of the kind where you don't do their laundry) equals less work).

Thanks for all of the input you guys. Option 3 was supposed to happen, but MIL & FIL are putting a pool in their back yard next summer & are pinching every penny. So option 3...uh, isn't actually an option anymore. We have another couple that MAY go with us (which would work great, with the baby-swap & all), so hopefully that won't fall through. I'm leaning on taking him anyway...but that could change based on the rest of the input you guys give us.

Tough decision. We first took Jessica when she was sixteen months and she loved it. A lot depends on the actual journey. Will u have to fly. A lot of people like waiting until their child is one to do this.

Only you can decide. Do what u feel most comfortable with and u will have a great time.

If you do take him on this trip just make sure you take grandma up on her generous offer and take a romantic trip too. It's SO important to maintain the romance after the baby. This is the voice of experience here. My EX and I did not take trips alone after the babies came, and see how that ended? We did not nurture our relationship first which really is putting your whole family first. Now my husband and I make sure we take a trip without kids every year. There's my pep talk. Now for option #4! Go to WDW for 7 days with your little bundle then drop him with grandma and take a couple of days at a bed and breakfast (with a double jacuzzi tub) for a little romance. It sure would be nice for your baby and his grandparents to have some time alone together, too.

I say don't take him. It will probably be a long time before you and hubby will be able to get away for a romantic vacation. My parents left me when I was 2 to go to Barbados. I don't remember anything. My grandparents cared for me and enjoyed the experience. Some of my relatives waited to go to WDW when their children turned 3 or older so they would have some memories of the trip. They were also able to walk a little bit more than a toddler would. Saves you from constantly needing a stroller. My first visit was at 3 and while I can't remember a lot I do have some lasting impressions. Basically if you take him everything you do will revolve around his schedule. I guess I think you guys should go it alone because I see so many married folks that desperately need some time away from the kids to reconnect with their spouse.

Since you two have been to Disney numerious times as a couple, and this is your first child, I'd say take the baby , it'll be an exciting new experience. For us, when youngest DS was 6mths, we left him with grandmom for 6 days because this was the first trip we didn't have to push a stroller (oldest DS -age 5) or baby-swap as much as we used to, which was our new experience! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter