Ohana Let Down!

Our waiter was not very magical, but he was busy. Our complaint was the food, though. Very underwhelming with little to no flavor. I expected delicious food for the amount of money we spent there. This table service restaurant was the only disappointment of our trip.
This was our family's exact thoughts to the letter.

We ate there once and will never go back. As other posters have said there are too many better places to eat on property now and in most cases for less money. I think a lot of people have sentimental value with Ohana as we all do with things at Disney so they overlook the issues and will always eat there no matter how bad it gets.

I have seen a decline in service and food steadily over the years. It used to be a must do, but honestly with 3 children who all now must pay adult prices and their slim appetites, I do not feel that it is worth the cost. If we ever stay at the Polynesian DVC again, I think I will try ordering the room service dinner from Ohana's and watch the fireworks instead. I think that two dinners would feed all of us.

Just returned from my week long Anniversary trip and had a wonderful time. would like to report Ohana was a total disappointment. They changed the sides to that accompany the meat they serve you and Hawaiian ? Far from it ! Tasted more like cheap buffet oriental food!.. throw some pineapple in there at least to distract you!!!....do something to hawaiaanize it at least
Was really looking forward toeating there again seeing the last time I was there (with my kids ) it was 8:45pm and we were all exhausted but yet it was very good. This time (my last time) not at all
Wont complain about the service because all the wait staff minus mine were great. I had to continually seek out and ask if I wanted a refill on beef chicken or shrimp.
total disappointment... off the list for next trip!

We ate there Summer of 2016 and it was very good. We came back in 2017 and where disappointed with the rush on our food. Also the Ohana breakfast Character Dinning was terrible. It was the same breakfast buffet food that you can find anywhere in WDW and the characters seemed rushed. We are going again Summer of 2018 and I will not go back.

Feel rushed? I have a three word phrase that will change your life... "Not yet, thanks.". It works wonders. They will come back later, trust me. And if they don't see my note above.

I can't count the number of times we've been enjoying our wings and dumplings when the skewers arrived. I just say we're still enjoying our appetizers, catch us the next time around.

If you are polite, and not asking for anything unreasonable (and asking for more time is not unreasonable) then you will be accommodated.

Of course one can and should speak up. But the restaurant should take a hint too - if they are bringing you skewers while you're still eating apps, it should go without saying that they should come back around to you. A good server should use some intuition to understand your pace based on how quickly (or not) you're eating and bring the other things out accordingly. Most of the food is already prepared, so I bet its the servers setting the pace of the meals in experiences where people feel rushed. I would also bet they are encouraged to turn tables over faster, especially at Ohana which is a popular and busy restaurant that always seems to be running late seating their ADRs.

I feel rushed and unrelaxed when I ate at this dump. I can’t blame the waiters. They need the money and they have to keep moving the herd to get the line moving. The cook also have to hurry up they’re meal prep. Again to feed the herd and keep the line moving. These factors diminish the food quality if the disgusting meat and shrimp. And of course imo Disney wants to maximize profit at the expense of quality, and experience.
All in all the food is expensive for what I get and the quality is worthy... for the dumpster.

Wow!! How do you 'really' feel?? LOL
Dumpster food? For real? The best dumpster food I could ever hope to eat - not that I would ever dumpster dive!

Just wonder at which restaurants do you dine while at Disney?

'Ohana is served 'family style' which means it basically all comes out at one time - not supposed to be like courses in most TS places.
You can only feel rushed if you allow yourselves to be. We are never rushed - we thoroughly enjoy our experience there. But, it's not for everyone - no place is.

I don't think the sides have changed in a very long time. When I was a kid, they had really delicious potatoes, but the last time I saw those was maybe... 10(?) years ago.

I love 'Ohana & it's always been our "first Disney night" tradition. There have been times when the service has felt rushed... we simply ask them to come back later if we aren't ready for what they want to bring, or let them know if we need something else :) It has never been an issue. The servers have always been very kind.

I don't think the sides have changed in a very long time. When I was a kid, they had really delicious potatoes, but the last time I saw those was maybe... 10(?) years ago.

I love 'Ohana & it's always been our "first Disney night" tradition. There have been times when the service has felt rushed... we simply ask them to come back later if we aren't ready for what they want to bring, or let them know if we need something else :) It has never been an issue. The servers have always been very kind.

Is it sad that I remember the name of those potatoes? Maui scalloped potatoes--they were so good and I know we had them on our first trip in 2006.

Is it sad that I remember the name of those potatoes? Maui scalloped potatoes--they were so good and I know we had them on our first trip in 2006.
That is the name! :rotfl: I still remember how cheesy & good they were. I guess the noodles fit in better with the theme, but those potatoes really were something else.

I'm probably in the minority here but I would WANT all my food served at one time. I wish they'd bring the salad, sides, bread and meat all at the same time and just let us eat. The way its set up, they take 45 mins to an hour to get the meat to you while you fill up on the cheap foods (salad, pasta, etc) because the less meat you eat, the more money they make on the meal. It was very strange to me to eat a plate of meat. Just meat. We had our salad first, which was fine, but then the sides came out and wayyyyyyyyy down the road later the meat came out and we were just sitting there eating meat.

Has anyone ever asked for all the food to be brought out together?

Is there any other place on Disney property to get the 'Ohana bread pudding?

'Ohana is served 'family style' which means it basically all comes out at one time - not supposed to be like courses in most TS places.
You can only feel rushed if you allow yourselves to be. We are never rushed - we thoroughly enjoy our experience there. But, it's not for everyone - no place is.

I felt rushed because our server ran through his spiel in about 10 seconds and ran away before we had barely caught our breath. Then all the food came out within about 8 minutes, which wasn't so bad in itself, but they never brought the beef skewers and our server had disappeared. When he finally appeared it was to offer dessert. I asked about the beef he said " oh so you want more beef" acting kind of put out and ran off. We had wanted to order another drink but there was never a chance. Not to mention more of anything was never offered. In a nutshell service was terrible and I felt like they wanted us out the door (it wasn't late. We had a 7pm adr).

I might give it another chance only because so many people have good experiences but it really seems like a gamble . Maybe some of the servers are really bad but they keep them around because they turn tables fast? While others do a great job and rely on tips (I left an appropriately lousy tip in our case)? It is weird how this is such a love/hate restaurant.

Thanks cause I was beginning to think I was crazy we went on our 1st trip in 2006 and I seemed to remember some very good potatoes at Ohana on that trip.

@Beer Me, sorry you had a bad experience. I guess we really don't let our servers rule our meals. We will sit until we get what we want/need, flag someone down to reach our server, etc. We truly love the restaurant and food, and won't let 'anything' get in our way of that. We are never rude, but we do want the service we are paying for.

Have had a few times in many years of 'so-so' service, but nothing I would call bad. Please do give it another try if you love the food!! :)

Me and my girlfriend have booked Breakfast here one day on our trip in October. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with breakfast.

Wow!! How do you 'really' feel?? LOL
Dumpster food? For real? The best dumpster food I could ever hope to eat - not that I would ever dumpster dive!

Just wonder at which restaurants do you dine while at Disney?

Feelings. Nothing more than feelings. Trying to forget...

Food that is overcooked or too salty or no flavor... goes to where?
The dumpster.

Yup. O’Hanna is a “cult” thing.
Followers do really get offended by bad reviews.

Me and my girlfriend have booked Breakfast here one day on our trip in October. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with breakfast.
We have been to the breakfast a couple times and have it booked twice for our next trip. It's not fancy breakfast food (waffles, sausage, eggs, etc), but it has been very good both times we have been and it has great character interactions. We really enjoy it!

Feelings. Nothing more than feelings. Trying to forget...

Food that is overcooked or too salty or no flavor... goes to where?
The dumpster.

Yup. O’Hanna is a “cult” thing.
Followers do really get offended by bad reviews.
Well if liking Ohana means I'm part of cult....than judging by your history, you're the president of the Ohana bashing committee. So just like you're entitled to your opinion that it sucks, those of us that love it is entitled to say so also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter