• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana menu question

brendaroo

Earning My Ears
I really wanted to try this but my DH is a picky meat & potatoes man. Can you purchase any potatos as a side dish? He hates salads & he is not fond of stir fry veggies. I do not know if it will worth the money for him to eat meat alone. I looked up the menu but all I could find was the AYCE dinner menu. I also have heard that the meat is sometimes tough. I really wanted to go more for the atmosphere (tropical romance) since we are going alone. Any ideas or suggestions?

We were also unsure about O'hana. We ended up trying Olivia's Cafe (OKW), which has a laid back atmosphere. We had a really nice meal. Portions were average, so if you're going for a big meal...then you might want the AYCE. Our server at Olivia's was super nice. When I mentioned that I really wanted a side salad, she said that it wasn't on the menu, but she would be glad to get one for me...the salad dressing was GREAT!!! Some sort of lime/honey mustard mixture.

Hope this helps!!
Ginny

My DH is also a picky eater. He doesn't care for any of the sides served at 'Ohana except the chicken wings, won't eat rice, doesn't like the dressing on the salad, won't try the wontons, you get the idea. That said, 'Ohana is one of his favorite restaurants onsite, and a "must do" on every trip. He really loves all that meat! I prefer all the side dishes, so we balance each other out. :D

They do offer you a lot of meat so you could end up getting your money's worth on this. The steak and turkey were very good, the shrimp is marinated in a sweet BBQ sauce and you have to peel them, the pork was also marinated in this same sauce but a little dry. There's also chicken wings as mentioned above.

As for ordering an extra side, I'm not sure what they'd have available to them except for what's at Kona's next door (maybe homefries or hash browns from breakfast too?). Check out that menu and see if there's something he would like then call the restaurant directly and ask if it would be possible to order that. Make sure you find out how much extra, if any, it will cost you! If your DH really needs something to go with his meat then let him know the extra cost and see if it's worth it.

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying another buffet, such as Boma's perhaps?

Originally posted by brendaroo
I really wanted to try this but my DH is a picky meat & potatoes man.....I really wanted to go more for the atmosphere (tropical romance) since we are going alone. Any ideas or suggestions?

Why not try the Kona Cafe, right next to 'Ohana. I'm sure your DH will like either the prime rib or beef tenderloin, both with potatoes. You still get the tropical atmosphere also.

steve

I say try the Kona Cafe instead. I think its the best casual cafe at WDW. The food is excellent and the prices are great. We have eaten at Ohana once and once was enough. It was overpriced and the food was dull. As for the entertainment. We were seated so far away from any festivities- if there were any - we missed them. Try Kona its great!!!

I will have to agree with the last two posters. I'm not a big fan of O'hana but tried Kona Cafe last week and it was wonderful. I will definitely return.

I think I will try Kona Cafe instead of Ohana. It is just not worth the money if one of us is unhappy or leaves hungary. We are both more casual and I really was just looking for a great meal in a tropical setting. I did not realize that Kona had that also.
Now I am really excited!
4 days left and my plans are almost complete!
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by brendaroo
4 days left and my plans are almost complete!
:rolleyes:

4 days, I wish I was that short. I've got 46 to go. Enjoy your trip, you'll like Kona Cafe.

steve

Definitely choose the Kona Cafe' over O'hana. Just ate at Ohana last week and the food wasn't all that great. The wings and wonton appetizers were okay, but the pork, beef and turkey was all dry and tough. I took one bite of the steak and found in inedible. You have to peel the shrimp and they were also dry. This is a place you go to bring the kids. They love it. Coconut races and hula-hoop contests...that kind of thing. Don't go for the food, and definitely don't go for the romance.

Kona isn't exactly the most romantic of restaurants, but the food is solid for sure. Have a lapu-lapu at the Poly bar, eat at Kona and then catch the fireworks from the Poly beach. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter