Ok, I know you want to share your knowledge!!

shellyof4

Disney FANatic
:) :)

Hi everyone!

I'm new here! Getting started planning our next Disney trip. It's been 7 years since our last trip to Disneyland!! (We had 2 WDW trips in between.) So that means I haven't even seen DCA!!!! I have a few questions if you don't mind helping me out. :)

1. Ok, so classic question....how bad is it going to be if I stay off-site...I know it's really just an opinion, but I'd like to know if there are some decent hotels very close by. Last time we were not close and it was a dump. :) At WDW we stay on-site (but those are our splurge trips plus there are lower cost options there.) (Thinking of maybe the How. Jo....??)

2. Does anyone know rumors about anything being closed for refurbishment in February 2007?? There is no official word yet as far as I can tell. I know there will be and I'd like to know what!! :) Since we've never ridden space at DL (it was closed) and if Indy is closed, I will not have happy campers!!!

3. Feb. hours...it looks like historically they're open till about 8 on weekdays and then till about 10pm or midnight on weekends....does this sound right?

4. Is there a princess character meal at DLR? If not, what's the next best thing for my daughter to see a princess or two...

5. Should I take the 4 year old and 1 year old to DCA? Or just let the big boys go (ages 8 and 11)...how many days would a dad and two boys that age need to see everything fun there...One? We are the go early....go nap...go back and stay late types of Disney people. Last time we went we still got 4 day park hoppers even with just the one park. We like to really explore and do our favorite rides a few (dozen) times.

6. Any must read books or webpages I should check out?

7. I don't see any "Kids play free" or anything like that YET for that time of year, but there was last year...how far in advance do these typically come out...(there was one for that time of year last year).

Thanks so much for any advice or tips anyone can give us!
Shelly

1. We have always stayed on site - so can't answer that one
2. I thought I heard Pirates was going to be closed around that time, but it may be later???
3. Feb hours sound about right
4. Princess character meal is at DCA - Ariel's Grotto - you typically get to see Belle, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel and Snow White (lunch and dinner only)
5. I would take all to DCA - bugs land has a bunch of kiddie rides - there is a great bug show - great aladdin show - and MANY characters in DCA that you won't see in DL...I would get park hoppers - the thing with DCA it is a great place to go in ther afternoon, before or after nap time, when the crowds at DL are busier. You could probably definitely see it all in a day or less - but may want to hop back to see certain rides (or find certain characters)

Not sure about the rest - I know the deal for our October trip came out in June - and I was impatiently waiting!!!

Oh no....I might actually DIE if pirates is closed...I guess I won't book my plane tickets until much closer so I can find out for sure....Thanks for the tips!

shellyof4 said:

7. I don't see any "Kids play free" or anything like that YET for that time of year, but there was last year...how far in advance do these typically come out...(there was one for that time of year last year).
There are specials on tickets for that time of year:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...icketListing?name=TicketListingPage&year=2007

You also wanted some more websites for research. :surfweb: Try:
Dining
http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/menus.shtml
http://www.mickeyxtreme.com/dlrdining.htm
General
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/
http://www.allearsnet.com/dlr/tp/dl/dl.htm

"The Disneyland project managers and Imagineers have been trying to figure out the schedule, and it looks now like the Disneyland attraction should be closed for three and a half months from roughly early February to around May 19th."

...In reference to Pirates closing at DL

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al091206a.htm

Okay, I can only comment on your first question...Since moving into adulthood (I'm a single guy, age 25), I have always stayed off-site. There are some wonderful--and affordable--hotels right across Harbor Blvd. from Disneyland. I have stayed at the Anaheim Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd. for the last 5 years, and the rooms are always clean, the staff is friendly, and it is just a short walk into the parks. In fact, staying across the street can be just as short a walk as trucking through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Hotel. Plus, if you request a room facing Harbor Blvd, you can see into the park from your room, just like a classic Disney hotel experience. There is also a McDonald's in their parking lot which makes for a quick and inexpensive breakfast or midnight snack when you're coming or going from the parks.
All that said, if you have the money, the experience in a Disney hotel cannot be beat. I remember staying in the Disneyland Hotel when I was young, and it is a truly magical experience because of the total immersion in the Disney Magic. Goofy's Kitchen is great fun for kids, and the Neverland Theme Pool is fantastic! And, while I've never stayed at the Grand Californian, I have heard it said that it just might be the best Disney hotel in the entire parks system--FL included! So, have I helped make your decision thoroughly impossible?! Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with.
Oh! And you mentioned the Ho-Jo. I have not stayed there personally, but I have heard really good things about it, and it is just a little bit more of a walk than the Fairfield Inn.

shellyof4 said:
1. Ok, so classic question....how bad is it going to be if I stay off-site...I know it's really just an opinion, but I'd like to know if there are some decent hotels very close by. Last time we were not close and it was a dump. :) At WDW we stay on-site (but those are our splurge trips plus there are lower cost options there.) (Thinking of maybe the How. Jo....??)
Lots of options. Check out the Hotels section of "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" -www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

shellyof4 said:
2. Does anyone know rumors about anything being closed for refurbishment in February 2007?? There is no official word yet as far as I can tell. I know there will be and I'd like to know what!! :) Since we've never ridden space at DL (it was closed) and if Indy is closed, I will not have happy campers!!!
As noted by others, there is a POTC closure rumor.

shellyof4 said:
5. Should I take the 4 year old and 1 year old to DCA? Or just let the big boys go (ages 8 and 11)...how many days would a dad and two boys that age need to see everything fun there...One? We are the go early....go nap...go back and stay late types of Disney people. Last time we went we still got 4 day park hoppers even with just the one park. We like to really explore and do our favorite rides a few (dozen) times.
Yes, take the youngsters to the Animation Studios and Turtle Talk with Crush. Also take them to ride Monsters Inc and Its Tough To Be A Bug. For the older kids one day will be enough. But note that parkhopping at DLR is different from WDW and while you can dedicate entire days to either DL or DCA, it is really not necessary because parkhopping is so easy. I find that we usually spend parts of every day at both parks, whereas at WDW we did noit parkhop at all.

shellyof4 said:
6. Any must read books or webpages I should check out?
Lots of useful info in the previously mentioned "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets"

Here are some more tips:

HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199851

HydroGuy's High Season/Off Season Tradeoff Rule: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199852

HydroGuy's How To Avoid Long Lines Rules: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199856

HydroGuy's Make Sure You Get On Your Favorite Ride Rule: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199860

HydroGuy's Hotel Rule: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

shellyof4 said:
:) :)

Thanks so much for any advice or tips anyone can give us!
Shelly

me and my husband stay at the red roof inn maingate. it's only about a 5-10 minute walk to the gate. they have really nice rooms.

this is the only one i really know about. have no kids (but do have 2 cats).

shellyof4 said:
We are going in January and staying at the Desert Inn, it is right across the street from the main gate area. Very reasonably priced too.

shellyof4 said:
I have been trying to get the same information for January. So far I haven't heard anything but Pirates in Feb. and possibly the Monorail still.

shellyof4 said:
3. Feb. hours...it looks like historically they're open till about 8 on weekdays and then till about 10pm or midnight on weekends....does this sound right?
It is 11:00 when we are there in January. The calendar at disneyland.com is updated through mid-January right now. You can check back in about a month for Feb hours.

shellyof4 said:
4. Is there a princess character meal at DLR? If not, what's the next best thing for my daughter to see a princess or two...
We are doing Ariel's Grotto in DCA for Princess character dining. The princesses are also out around the castle throughout the day.

shellyof4 said:
I say all definately. My daughter was 4 the first time she went to DCA and she loved it.

shellyof4 said:
I have only see the adults pay kids prices so far. I believe it is good through March though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter